EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Hijab & 3 Piece Bathing Suit in America

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hijab & 3 Piece Bathing Suit in America
galmarriedtoegyptian
Member # 10697

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for galmarriedtoegyptian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am an American Muslim convert who wears a hijab and people ask me why I wear my hijab in America all the time! Even Egyptian told me they take it off when they travel abroad. However, I find this to be a bit hypocritical. Afterall, it is not a geographic conviction. I am Muslim and I wear my hijab for spiritual reasons.

How about you?

Also, this summer I returned home to find alot of jokes from my friends and family in reaction to my 3 piece bathing suit. I grew up on an island and so I was always in a bathing suit and even went topless in my teens! Imagine how hard it was for me to slip on that 3 piece suit! I even heard negative comments from people thinking my husband was horrible to make me wear such a thing. I told them he finds me hot when I am conservative and saving my beauty for only him. Still, they are now scrutinizing what he wears now since he is very fashionable and loves European fashions. I hope one day they understand.

I tell them I wear my bathing suit with happiness because I think I look beautiful protecting men from lusting after me. I wear my hijab because it reminds me to act according to God's wishes since it is a constant reminder of my faith. I like it. Sure, it gets some getting used to but it fills me with joy to think I am doing the right thing for God.

So far, no one has wanted to take me to the beach or the pool out here...I imagine they are embarassed since we are in such a fashion district here. Yet, I am not embarassed. I plan to hit the sand in my suit and enjoy the beach as much as anyone else.

As for my hijabs, I am teaching the women who criticize to put them on for fun. Who knows where that might lead but they all agree it looks elegant (when wore right [Wink] ). One of them even told me a few days ago that she went out to buy a scarf!! Can you imagine?! [Smile]

MY MUSLIMS SISTERS - KEEP THE FAITH - KEEP YOUR HEADS UP.

WE ARE SPECIAL! [Smile]

Posts: 285 | From: egypt | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlebev
Member # 13788

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlebev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think its up to you what you wear dont listen to anyone else hun we are individuals
Posts: 197 | From: hertford england | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pressure makes diamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ameriegypt:
I am an American Muslim convert who wears a hijab and people ask me why I wear my hijab in America all the time! Even Egyptian told me they take it off when they travel abroad. However, I find this to be a bit hypocritical. Afterall, it is not a geographic conviction. I am Muslim and I wear my hijab for spiritual reasons.

How about you?

Also, this summer I returned home to find alot of jokes from my friends and family in reaction to my 3 piece bathing suit. I grew up on an island and so I was always in a bathing suit and even went topless in my teens! Imagine how hard it was for me to slip on that 3 piece suit! I even heard negative comments from people thinking my husband was horrible to make me wear such a thing. I told them he finds me hot when I am conservative and saving my beauty for only him. Still, they are now scrutinizing what he wears now since he is very fashionable and loves European fashions. I hope one day they understand.

I tell them I wear my bathing suit with happiness because I think I look beautiful protecting men from lusting after me. I wear my hijab because it reminds me to act according to God's wishes since it is a constant reminder of my faith. I like it. Sure, it gets some getting used to but it fills me with joy to think I am doing the right thing for God.

So far, no one has wanted to take me to the beach or the pool out here...I imagine they are embarassed since we are in such a fashion district here. Yet, I am not embarassed. I plan to hit the sand in my suit and enjoy the beach as much as anyone else.

As for my hijabs, I am teaching the women who criticize to put them on for fun. Who knows where that might lead but they all agree it looks elegant (when wore right [Wink] ). One of them even told me a few days ago that she went out to buy a scarf!! Can you imagine?! [Smile]

WE ARE SPECIAL! [Smile]

god bless you and i hope you all the happiness in life and inshalah in heaven [Smile]
amr

Posts: 1499 | From: Dark Side of the Moon | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very proud of you ameriegypt [Smile]
Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote: As for my hijabs, I am teaching the women who criticize to put them on for fun. Who knows where that might lead but they all agree it looks elegant (when wore right ). One of them even told me a few days ago that she went out to buy a scarf!! Can you imagine?!

Isn`t that in total contradiction with the intention you`re stating to wear hijab? Women with hijab indeed can look beautiful and elegant. VERY elegant! But by looking elegant and beautiful, at the same time, they also attrack men....
Every woman wants to look beautiful, with or without hijabs. It`s in their nature. And every man will look, it`s in their nature too.
It`s about showing respect and control feelings.
I never saw a man harassed because he was in his swimming-outfit, so women seem to be able to do so. A man has to do the same. Whatever she wears...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ameriegypt:

How about you?

WE ARE SPECIAL! [Smile]

I lost a lot of friends after I converted due to those "jokes" they made at my expense on a constant basis. Believe me, they are not jokes and it isn't funny. Of course some had a lot of respect for my beliefs and were more interested in things to learn rather than to poke fun.
My mother asked me what I wore to the beach in Alex and when I also explained about the 3 piece with hijab she found it fascinating and said it was not that different from the coverings the women in the states wore back in the 40's with their one piece bathing suits (of course we cover more than that but still...).

I also met Muslims in america who came from their home countries who did not cover. I met one woman from Palestine one day through some friends who told me she was ashamed that she no longer covered when in the states and saw that I did out of choice and conversion. I found this interesting telling her, 'if you want to cover, you will, shame is not needed'. To each his/her own...I came to learn that everyone is at different stages in their spiritual beliefs and we cannot expect everyone else to understand where we are anymore than we can expect ourselves to understand what others go through.

As far as you encouraging your non-muslim friends to put on the veil to see what it's like, I think this is a great idea. It might help them to see what it's like, and in fact, one of my friends ACTUALLY wore one one of mine one day (we went to get a burger) to see what it would feel like. She was shocked to feel what American Muslim women feel with the glances, the stares and sometimes the kindness and smiles. Not all of it was bad. [Smile] I don't find it hypocritical at all, but it can really educate those that don't necessarily understand, at least to see things from your own eyes.

Congratulations on your conversion and I am happy you found happiness in your beliefs. Best of luck and have a happy Ramadan. [Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations ameriegypt on staying with your beliefs. I also constantly cover no matter where i am ( the obvious exception being in my home with only my husband or other females present). I never ran into anyone making fun of me in the states for covering, people looked, accepted and went on. People that i work with now take time to ask the why's and want to know about the reasons why, not to criticize but because they are truly curious and want to understand. Keep encouraging other women to try hijab on, just to see how it feels, as you said, you never know, just that small thing could start them on their path to Islam and for that you will be rewarded by Allah.
What i find so strange is that right now i am in Egypt and the number of people that find it shocking that i am covering is amazing. Muslims and Muslimahs both, the people that know my husband say but we know she is american, well yes I am american but i am also muslim. I find that more people look at me as i walk and go out now than when i didnt cover last time lol, the difference.... its the women that look at me now. I have asked why people look at me so much now, the response i get is they are admiring me.. somehow i dont buy that. I have also noticed that when going out they only bring me glasses of water instead of the bottled water they used to, lol apparently i blend in enough that they dont realize i am foreign?
I am with you on this thing, the constant question of why do you always cover in America. Hey, its our religion, we do it for Allah and for ourselves. We do it because its what we know is right. I even go as far as to wear socks with any open shoes, and am careful that nothing shows of my ankles or legs or feet. Only hands and face. When i arrived in egypt a friend of mine asked me so where were you covered during your travel. I looked at her and said i was covered from before i left my home to come and until i was behind closed doors of my flat in egypt. She couldnt believe it.. my husband also asked the same hahahah Why do people not think that we are serious about our faith?

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to cover my feet and ankles, gave that up after last year and sweletering in the Egyptian heat all summer...I personally think it's an exaggeration, but again to each his/her own. I cannot imagine how some of the niqab'ed women do it, I imagine them under all of their clothing completely drenched in sweat and moisture, uggh.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha you know, i have seen the women that wear the full face covering and wondered the same. As for the Egyptian heat i am not finding any problems with it, I dont even bother to turn on the A/C in the apartment most times. Yorkie and i go out, me all covered and her normal clothes, short sleeves and such, and she sweats and says to me how can it be that i am sweating soo much and you are not at all!!!!! Haha, i am naturally feeling cold most of the times so when it is hot outside i am pretty comfortable even covered. (And i think my feet are ugly hahahaha) Though i did entertain the idea of wearing my sandals the other day without socks and a shirt that came just above my wrists, only by a couple inches and once i was completely ready to go out found i just couldnt do it, Changed lol.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Zapel
Member # 14076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam Zapel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is a very good way to protect your skin from the harmful suns rays
Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mysticheart:
i am naturally feeling cold most of the times

Maybe you need to eat more ...
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I agree, if you feel cold naturally in the heat of Egypt (even now it is not AS HOT as it was last month), you might have some nutritional imbalance. If you've always felt like that, you may have had it for some time...just a thought.
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
I agree, if you feel cold naturally in the heat of Egypt (even now it is not AS HOT as it was last month), you might have some nutritional imbalance. If you've always felt like that, you may have had it for some time...just a thought.

Not only a nutritional imbalance; if your metabolism doesn't get enough calories it will slow down and you will naturally feel more cold. I remember MH mentioned before that she consumes about 700 calories a day and works out ... so it sounded to me as if she was cold because she's most likely underfed and her metabolism is running very low.

I tend to feel too hot rather than too cold. But I remember once when I was fasting for two weeks during springtime I was constantly feeling cold, very unpleasant.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

mh why only 700 calories? This is the LEAST amt one needs to stay alive...I hope you don't have an eating disorder. [Frown]

quote:
We know the body goes into starvation mode at approximately 600 to 700 calories per day. What this means is the body stops using stored fat and begins to use vital organ tissue. In this example, you would be operating at -700 calories. This is referred as hyper-starvation mode. We know the average person can only last up to 40 days with no food. The body must have +700 calories every day just to stay alive. So, to answer the question, "Should you lose one pound a day?", the answer is NO!

http://www.mwlc.com/vc/diet.html

I'm not sure how correct this is, but 700 calories daily sounds so small.
Dalia*
Member # 10593

The Skinny In Me
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
700 calories a day seems to be my base, if i eat much more than that i start gaining weight any less then i lose weight. This was the number i found that when i was working out i lost weight the best with and was still able to feel ok and not hungry, now I have stopped working out, since march or so, at least for the most part so i am no longer losing any weight just maintaining, in fact gained just a couple kg. I have become a bit more relaxed on the calorie counting, actually i dont bother to count anymore, i just eat when i am hungry, which is next to never lol though i do force it at least one meal a day. I drink diet caffeine free sodas, so no calories there , and i find when i add up calories of what i do eat, that just seems to be the typical number. I eat alot of salad, soups, grilled fish, so the foods i eat are not very high in calories. Though i do have very strong tendancies to crave chocolate and i do indulge myself when i feel the need hahaha. I dont know, at home i tend to feel a bit cold, especially in any place that has air conditioning, here in egypt, while others swear they will die from the heat, i am comfortable. Its been this way for years, I came to egypt in march and froze the entire time, went home and thought i would die from freezing hahahahaha.. just started to get comfortable this summer at home in late june. Basic thing for me, if everyone else is comfortable i am cold, freezing, if i am comfortable everyone else is burning up.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Well maybe you are just cold by nature...but I would imagine that unless you have an obesity problem counting calories to be around or near 700 isn't necessary. It's good to hear you're eating more - although never really feeling hungry is odd. Have you ever thought to get an eating disorder evaluation? I found this online test that might help, just in case:
http://www.something-fishy.org/isf/questionnaire.php

margoogles
Single
Member # 22962

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for margoogles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking pride in wearing a hijab wherever you go is admirable. Although, choosing the right fabric or style for the right season and climate is important. Try using an instant hijab, it is pinless and you can put it on in less than a minute and it's very comfortable especially when traveling. You can shop them here https://www.bokitta.com/ and choose from different styles.
Posts: 2 | From: Philippines | Registered: Oct 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com