EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Pregnancy and Egyptian Myth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy and Egyptian Myth
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just heard this and please forgive me if it seems like im a bit gobsmacked by it.

If a woman is pregnant she doesnt tell anyone incase someone who cant have kids looks at her she will lose the baby and the woman who cant have kids will get pregnant? [Confused]

When the baby is born (provided she hasnt lost it by being looked at by someone who cant have kids) they cant leave the house for 40 days incase someone looks at them who cant have kids which will make thier milk dry up instantly?

[Confused]

Smucks you had a baby here, were you told this or is it just Upper Egypt??

Im off to find a pregnant woman to look at [Big Grin]

I wonder if I look at someone who is pregnant and I get pregnant because of this, do I need a man to help or does it happen instantly without one?

[Confused]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yip this is true! I had my baby boy in Cairo in 1999, came out of hospital, had all the family in our home for 7 days and no-one was allowed to see the baby until after 7 days, in case of teh evil eye! At that time, people try to see if you can breast feed etc.... Also people can be jealous of you. On the 7th day we had a open house and party. We killed 2 sheep and gave the meat to the neighbours and anyone passing to celebrate the birth. Its called Sabhour (apologies if its not spelt correctly. Great time was had by all, and then was I glad when after 8 days everyone left and it was just me and baby! I am not superstitious, however i have known a family memeber to allow someone in her home during the 7 days, and then could not breast feed after that.....evil eye!
Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'evil eye' i heard that so much. When i had my children, if a friend or neighbour came to the flat i would have to take the baby to another room - incase of the evil eye! [Eek!]

Ayisha ' i think' you need a man to help you get pregnant - i'm just sumizing not to sure though [Big Grin]

I wonder if your baby would look like the pregnants womens hubby? [Big Grin] you would want to check him out first of course! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amon alex
Member # 12246

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amon alex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that,s true [Smile]
Posts: 164 | From: Egypt | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ayisha, I thought you'd enjoy being just a grandmother now! Infact I remember you said that grandkids are so much more fun!! [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by amon alex:
that,s true [Smile]

Hey, amon, it's always nice to see you on here!! [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow so its all over Egypt!

TL grandkids are better believe me! [Big Grin] I dont think I would be brave enough to have a child here, I die enough in summer without being pregnant through it [Eek!]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When will all these fairy tales and nonsense stop? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahhhhh dear sweet Ayisha, you obviously missed this thread:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=004588;p=2

[Razz]

I let everyone and their dog see the baby immediately and days after the birth and I'm nursing to this day. Anyone who believes that crap should be ceremoniously taken to the town square, blindfolded and shot. You should not reproduce anyway. [Razz]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you guys ever hear the one where someone will come up to you and tell you that the baby is ugly - on purpose - so as to scare away the evil eye?? or dispel jealousy.
or some such stupid thing.

and it aint all upper egypt thing.
ran into it in my family - and they ain't from upper egypt - at least not for a few generations, and are educated, and a bunch of doctors are in the family,and they STILL believe this crap. [Eek!]

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tutandmoane
Member # 12060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tutandmoane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you got NO chance of the fairy tales stopping!

You obviously not heard of why a man has got acne, or spots on his face ??

(one reason why my husband spends hours a week face packing & cleansing is NOT to get any spots ! he even tries to avoid talking to a man in public who has spots on his face !)

Or, if a man has got bad stomach pain its the "willy worms" that got in & everyone knows what a dirty boy he has been

Once he came to uk for 6 month holiday. he wanted a new phone, but said if he got it, the evil eye would destroy it. I laughed & made him buy it. when we got back to Egypt we went to coffee shop, & a guy we dont like came to admire his phone which was lying on the table when my husband went to order. He came back, sat down & his new phone jumped off the table onto the floor & broke!! I never lived that one down.

Posts: 319 | From: egypt/uk | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't heard that Ayisha but I have been told that if a pregnant woman looks at someone a lot the baby will resemble that person. Not sure how that happens. [Big Grin]

I've also heard of ppl dressing up their baby boys as girls to prevent the evil eye.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told during pregnancy to keep looking in the mirror. [Confused]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe so the baby would look like you. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
I was told during pregnancy to keep looking in the mirror. [Confused]

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

I let everyone and their dog see the baby immediately and days after the birth and I'm nursing to this day.

Thats obviously because you're American smucks, it seems it doesnt work on Americans OR no one looked at the baby who couldnt have one themselves [Wink]
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I supposed to put a knife under the mattress of the baby's crib to keep the evil eye away.

don't know how that works though, is it for the baby's self defense or what???

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

LOL! Yes, if anything bad comes in the baby can have a knife duel! [Big Grin] [Razz]
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG these myths are more Pagan than Pagans..... [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
civil society
Member # 14880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for civil society     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
exactly my thoughts pink cherry.
Posts: 253 | From: canuk | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
me 2
was amazed that about it here.
course I was very naive - believing that Egypt was a muslim country also...lol
boy oh boy...was I wrong, huh?

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess Egyptians must think it really strange when they go to the West and are told not to walk under ladders, or on the cracks in the pavement/sidewalk, or to put their baby teeth under the pillow, or to throw salt over their shoulder if they spill it, or not to go out on Friday 13th, or that black cats are lucky and they should touch wood for luck, although they would probably agree that it's bad luck to put shoes on the table [Wink]

But what about if the fob watch hung over a pregnant woman's stomach goes backwards and forwards, it will be a boy, but if it goes round and round it will be a girl; or babies born with big ears will be generous; and a baby born with open hands and out-stretched fingers will be prosperous; or you shouldn't bring a pram/pushchair into a house without a baby in it?

Come on folks, there are superstitions everywhere, and if you are mixing with village people, of course they will believe them more. It's just that their superstitions are new to you.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:

babies born with big ears will be generous;

So that's why I'm so bloody generous [Smile]

Anyway to answer Ayisha's question, I have never personally experienced any of this stuff either with my family or friends. All our babies were pararded around when they were born.

The only thing I know is that Egyptian women are scared of loosing the baby because of the "evil eye" but the obssesion with the eye is in everything not just babies.

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I remembered another thing. If a woman craves something and doesn't get it, then the baby will be born with a birthmark in the shape of that craving ie an apple or date or whatever.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
Oh I remembered another thing. If a woman craves something and doesn't get it, then the baby will be born with a birthmark in the shape of that craving ie an apple or date or whatever.

That sounds a wonderful way for women to get their own way when the cravings hit...I wonder many times it can work [Big Grin]
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, my last boy still has a birthmark on his hip - and it looks so hot! Wonder now what I was craving!! [Wink]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh im so sick of all the old wives tales in this country, i certainly wont be listening to any of them.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get_over_it
Member # 11286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for get_over_it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I didn't deliver my daughter in Egypt, we did travel to Egypt shortly after the birth and I had to hear a bunch of nonsensical theories as to why she was no longer with us.

My husband sent her photos back to the family under the express conditions that nobody outside of the immediate family was allowed to look at them, for fear of the evil eye. I had her death explained to me by one relative as being because someone in the village somehow heard about her and envied us. They didn't even see my baby but the good old evil eye was being blamed...

Not quite an old wives tale, but my MIL infuriated me by saying that my baby had died because I used a computer too much when I was pregnant and it infected my body. WTF?! [Mad]

Posts: 463 | From: Other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
GOI, you are so strong in dealing with such a painful issue. I don't know how I would feel. My best wishes to you and and your husband and don't let anyone blame you, don't listen to all this crap. Unbelievable!
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you hear the one about - if you have twins, then at night their souls enter cats so you must never kill a cat at night because it might have the soul of a baby twin in it!!!!!

My Upper Egy Ex (Qena area) told me that one and he said it was definately true, he'd seen it with his own eyes - a man in his town had twins and one night someone tried to kill a cat and the man said 'no don't do that, it has the soul of one of my twins in it' - therefore it must be true. I did suggest that maybe the man didn't want the cat to be killed ... but no.
(one of several reasons I decided that there was no future for me and him!)

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
I guess Egyptians must think it really strange when they go to the West and are told not to walk under ladders, or on the cracks in the pavement/sidewalk, or to put their baby teeth under the pillow, or to throw salt over their shoulder if they spill it, or not to go out on Friday 13th, or that black cats are lucky and they should touch wood for luck, although they would probably agree that it's bad luck to put shoes on the table [Wink]

But what about if the fob watch hung over a pregnant woman's stomach goes backwards and forwards, it will be a boy, but if it goes round and round it will be a girl; or babies born with big ears will be generous; and a baby born with open hands and out-stretched fingers will be prosperous; or you shouldn't bring a pram/pushchair into a house without a baby in it?

Come on folks, there are superstitions everywhere, and if you are mixing with village people, of course they will believe them more. It's just that their superstitions are new to you.

The difference is (at least in the states) that people pretty much think you are WEIRD if you still REALLY believe that stuff over the age of 12.
newcomer
Member # 1056

Even in the small villages in hickland in the boonies? [Wink]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

LOL well, you got me there, although I've never been to a small village in the hickland boonies (although the movie DELIVERANCE does come to mind). [Wink] [Big Grin] [Razz]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
I heard the one about cats and twins too oldbag, they swear its true [Big Grin]

I asked hubby about the baby things last night though, he gave me a look that said 'are you mad?' and said 'thats all up to the God!'

Alhamdulillah [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
--------------------------------------------

hahaha i heard that one [Big Grin]

I did 'use' this one though [Big Grin]

Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com