EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Living in Egypt.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » ancient egyptian and coptic extinct!

Author Topic: ancient egyptian and coptic extinct!
esposible
Member # 2955

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for esposible     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have another question and I doubt I will be adding my own comment for this one, since I dont know alot about this topic.

Well I just went into a link

Here it the link: http://www.geocities.com/wally_mo/reference.html

And there is a certian line there which states that Ancient Egyptian and Coptic are extinct. Is it really true ? Don't christian copts use coptic for their church services?

Another thing is about the ancient Egyptian language. Somewhere in this forum(I think)I read that the ancient egyptian is related to some other african languages such as the one spoken in senegal. Is this correct?

[ 08. April 2007, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: ausar ]

Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eposible,thank you for purposing such an interesting question. Most conventional historians say that Coptics was divided up into regional dialects like Sahidic,Akhimic,Fayiumic,and Boharic. Of the various dialects of Coptic,Sahidic is probally the most pure in vocabulary. Sahidic in Upper Egypt was spoken untill about the 16th century or perhaps even later. The other Coptic dialects are heavily inflused with Greek.

Know what people don't relize is that it can be proven over 14,000 words in modern Egyptian colloquial Arabic trace back to ancient Egyptian. Some linuist even feel that Egyptian colloquial Arabic is really a further development of the ancient Egyptian language. Modern Egyptian colloquial Arabic is divided between two dialects:Cairene spoken in the north,and Saidi spoken from Beni Suef to Aswan.

I am not a linguist,but I think that Dr. Alsaadawi can perhaps answer you question more directly about the ancient Egyptian language being extinct.
I hope he is still here so he can answer the questions.

Here are some further book references if you can track them down at your local book store. See the following
1.Baiume Kandil, "The State Of Culture In Egypt
2.http://www.aucpress.com/cgi-aucpress/auc99/pager.cgi?catno=708_6
From Pharaoh's Lips :
Ancient Egyptian Language in the Arabic of Today
AHMAD ABDEL-HAMID YOUSSEF Introduction by Fayza Haikal

[This message has been edited by ausar (edited 28 January 2004).]

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com