EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » GPS maps for Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GPS maps for Egypt?
Canadian desert
Member # 10167

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Canadian desert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to Egypt on Saturday and was just wondering if my GPS would work in Egypt or if I can download GPS map for Egypt or Cairo to be specific.
Posts: 17 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you seen the traffic there?! [Eek!] Somehow I don't think a GPS would be of any help!
Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canadian desert
Member # 10167

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Canadian desert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been to Cairo few times but have never expereinced driving in Cairo. This time I thought of renting a car.
my main concern is how to get to Nile hilton from Alexandria and how to get to Khan Elkhalili and the castle from Nile Hilton and then back to Egypt.

Posts: 17 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.gps-egypt.com/brochures.html

http://www.gps-egypt.com/supernav.html

I recommend to take the bus or train from Alex to Cairo and back and move around with taxis inside the capital.

Have a wonderful stay!!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most of the street don't have actual street signs, so I wouldn't think that a GPS doesn't work too well.
take a taxi...easier, less hassle, and better for the nerves.
get in the backseat, and close your eyes..lol

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SuperNav has listed 15,000 streets in Cairo incl. major POI - that's pretty amazing.

Have you seen someone using a GPS system in Cairo yet, JB??

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canadian desert
Member # 10167

Rate Member
It looks like this SuperNav is not available in Egypt. The contact info they have on their website is in the UK.
I have been to Cairo few times and I noticed that people who are not familiar with Cairo ask for help while driving!! That was pretty cool

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try our transportation expert Shanta Qadeema for hints on how to get around in Cairo .. she's in the UK visiting and due back in a couple of weeks... [Big Grin]
My personal advice is use the yellow cab system from Tahrir right next to Nile Hilton to take you anywhere you want...clean,fast and safe.

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoke with SQ today she is fine. [Smile]

Only thing with SQ is that she will try to get you to go on the dreaded microbuses!! [Eek!]

I used the yellow cab most of the time I was there last time and the fare are meter run so you can see exactly how much it is going to cost you.

Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been working on a GPS map this year, so far only Cairo, a little bit of Suez and Sharm on it. Cairo is far from complete, but has most major roads. I tested the routing from Cairo to Sharm and it worked beautifully. Sharm is is pretty much completed (not many streets there heh).

http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/mapview.php?id=1940

You will need sendmap to upload it to your GPS, I only have Garmin GPS's but it should work on other brands.

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rockytsang
Member # 18290

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rockytsang   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ounty, N.C., hermes jewelry N.C., where the Baker family previously lived.Zahra 時計ブルガリ lived.Zahra was reported missing by her stepmother louis vuitton mahina xl stepmother and father
on Oct. 9, [h2]chanel shoes replica[/h2] but police say no one outsi

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wanderlust1974
Member # 19395

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for wanderlust1974     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This site is running a sale on the Egypt GPS Map

http://gpstravelmaps.blogspot.com/2011/08/egypt-gps-garmin-iphone-android-free.html

ANd here is the Egypt GPS Mapping Company -
http://www.gpstravelmaps.com/egypt_gps_map.php

Posts: 2 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com