EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Essential oils

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Essential oils
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I am really interested in experimenting with essential oils and I was wondering if anyone here has tried any? Which are the best? I am particularly interested in stuff that is good for the hair and skin?

Thanks

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coconut oil is the best ...i think
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For hair or skin?
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Hayat,

your question is a bit confusing. There are countless oils that are good for your hair and skin, but essential oils are only used in very small quantitites as an addition, in order to add a scent, or for aromatherapy.

I love natural oils and have experimented with them quite a bit, but you won't get around doing that and reading up on it yourself, because everyone's skin and hair are different. An oil that is great for my skin might not be good for yours at all. Olive oil, for example, is way too heavy for my hair, others love it. Oils have very different properties; some are good for dry skin, others for oily or acne prone skin, some are heavy, others are light and so on ...

For hair, coconut oil and sheabutter are great. Check this out for information on coconut oil:

Coconut Oil is the best treatment to heal, protect, and beautify your skin and hair

Also, Indian herbs and henna are very good for hair. I've been using them for a few years now, in addition to oiling my hair and avoiding silicones and chemistry, and my hair is very healthy and shiny. Check out those links:

Using Indian Herbs for Haircare

Indian Herbs from Hesh Pharma

This is a very good site to get a basic overview about various oils and their properties and usage:

www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/Fixed.asp

www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/EssentialOils.asp

Some other interesting links:

Hibiscus for hair and scalp

To cone or not to cone?

Herbs-n-oils blog

Methi -- Fenugreek

Why should you oil your hair?

Vatika Indian Coconut Oil

Asala hair oil

Free E-Book on Henna

Indian Beauty Secrets

I have a lot more information here, but unfortunately most of it is in German. If you have a question, just ask and I'll try to help. [Smile]

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes,7ayat,as Dalia mentions there are plenty of essential oils that can do almost wonders for your hair and skin.Some of us have our favorite tried and true ones,and others ive still to try.
For example,although is not exactly an essential oil,i swear by good ol´virgin----heyyy Rahalaaaa!-olive oil for your skin and hair.
I even used an olive oil based facial cleansing oil that clears away my eye makeup,too.
*wooohooo,Dzosser,my skin is great and wrinklelesss [Big Grin] ***
There´s also sweet almond oil that is an excellent skin moisturizer by itself for the whole body,and even when applied to your eyelashes can make them long and lush.Be careful though to apply for a few days and only to the eyelash,not inside the eye.It can irritate a bit.
Experiment and try your own,and come to tell us about,7ayat.

[Smile]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks *Dalia* for all those links ....good to know and read
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sashy..how do we know you're not on Botox, at your age. [Confused] [Razz]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:

There´s also sweet almond oil that is an excellent skin moisturizer by itself for the whole body,and even when applied to your eyelashes can make them long and lush.Be careful though to apply for a few days and only to the eyelash,not inside the eye.It can irritate a bit.

Lots of people swear on castor oil for that purpose. [Smile] Personally, I haven't tried it since I'm quite happy with my lashes the way they are. But castor oil is also very good to be used against blackheads and skin impurities.

quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
thanks *Dalia* for all those links ....good to know and read

You're welcome. May we all be healthy and beautiful in 2010. [Big Grin]

Here are some easy, tried and tested recipes I found on my harddrive.

Honey/oil/egg protein treatment

For short hair:
1 egg yolk (make sure there is no white, because once you rinse, it's going to form white clumps)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon honey.

Mix everything together well, put on hair, wrap in a shower cap (optional) and an old towel, to make sure that it stays warm. Keep on your head for 2 hours, then rinse out and wash your hair.

Shoulder length hair: double the proportions, BSL hair: triple, waist length: 5x.

Hair Gel for All Hair Types

2 tablespoons of flax seeds

1 cup of water

One vitamin E capsule (optional, good for dry, damaged or chemically-treated hair)

1 tablespoon of rosewater or 3 drops of your favorite essential oil

Unlike the commercial varieties, this styling gel also acts as a conditioner, so it is particularly good for dry hair. Combine the flax seeds and water in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool for 30 minutes. Strain out the seeds and stir in the vitamin E oil (if using) and the rosewater or essential oil. Pour the mixture into a clean jar and store it in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to one month.

And also:

Hair Care using Hibiscus

The Hibiscus is one of the most common flowering trees of India . The leaves and flowers of the tree were used in cosmetic treatments during the ancient days and have become very much a part of Ayurveda.

The Hibiscus, or Javakusuma, belongs to the Malvacae family is also commonly known as Shoe Flower. The red flowers are used in treatments. Like the Tulsi, the Hibiscus has become a part of Hindu religious rites and is a must in certain pujas. It was not only popularised by Ayurvedic practice in India , but is an important ingredient in Chinese herbal medicine.

The ancient woman of India not only used the exotic Hibiscus flower to adorn her hair, but also applied its extracts as a treatment for hair. The flowers and leaves contain many properties that benefit hair and scalp and help in the treatment of dandruff and hair loss.

Both in India and China, infusions of Hibiscus leaves and flowers were mixed with herbal oils and applied on the scalp as a part of regular hair care. The juice of the flower was added to vegetable hair dyes like henna and indigo. The reason for the widespread use of the Hibiscus was its ability to prevent and control common hair problems.

Hibiscus has a soothing and cooling action on the scalp. During the ancient days, it was used to reduce heat and bring down fevers. This soothing action is of great benefit in treating rashy conditions and in cases of dandruff. It is of particular benefit in seborrhoeic conditions of the scalp, due to its astringent action, helping to reduce oil-gland secretions and excessive oiliness of hair and scalp. Hibiscus helps to remove and reduce pore clogging, thus improving the general look and condition of hair. It also reduces excessive scaling, itching and redness of the scalp.

Hibiscus has many other benefits. Not only does it restore the normal acid-alkaline balance, but helps in the elimination of toxins. It also stimulates blood circulation to the scalp and thus helps the supply of the essential nutrients to the follicles. It has excellent tonic properties. Ingredients like Hibiscus are ideal for counteracting the effects of air pollutants. The chemical pollutants in the air are potent irritants. They not only upset the normal balances, but cause many eruptive conditions and irritative reactions. We are constantly exposed to these harmful chemicals. Hibiscus, like many other plant ingredients, offers ideal protection.

Both hot and cold infusions can be made from hibiscus flowers and leaves, though cold infusions are more common. For hot infusions, the flowers and leaves are added to boiling water and allowed to stand in it for 10 to 12 hours. The infusion is strained and used on the scalp. It can be used as a last rinse after washing the hair. For cold infusions, the flowers and leaves are allowed to stand overnight in cold water, in a ratio of one to six. The flowers are squeezed and the water is strained before use.

Such infusions can be used to wash the hair and scalp, or may be applied on the scalp with cotton wool. Infusions, or the juice of the flowers, may be added to henna paste and applied on the scalp. This a total hair-food and conditioning treatment. Today, Hibiscus is added to brahmi, bhringaraj, amla, henna and other such extracts, to formulate products for hair care, like cleansers, hair tonics, anti-dandruff preparations, hair conditioners and rinses.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
Sashy..how do we know you're not on Botox, at your age. [Confused] [Razz]

Ive still have not needed it,but when the time comes dont have any problem with it.
Those here that have met me in person know that i still have nooooo wrinkles!!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Thanks Sashy and Dalia. The reason I ask is that I was browsing through a store and found a section with essential oils like rose and orange and each one was recommended for a specific problem. For example, on the rose bottle the directions said that it is really good for the skin and to put it on your face twice a day beneath your moisturizer. Each bottle was really small and expensive. So I was just interested, before buying, in knowing if they work or not. But it is interesting that Dalia says that essential oils are supposed to be used only as scent. The ones in the store didn't really smell nice at all [Smile]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Using an essential oil directly to skin might cause an allergic reaction on some.But as all allergies,there´s no way to know until you try.
You can,though,use some oils specially made to be applied directly into skin,as the sweet almond oil.At least the one i´ve tried is not exactly an essential oil.
There are some natural derived cosmetic creams in the market that actually contain rose oil,and even a face tonic spray made from rosewater.But yes,the essential oil per se is mostly used as a base for fragances be them diluted in more oil,or alcohol.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Thanks for the info Sashyra. Then why the hell are they telling people to put it directly on their skin? Maybe it is a diluted form?
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Another excellent skin and hair oil is argan oil.
It has been used as a skin antiaging and a hair beautifying oil for years for its rich antioxidant contents.
I became familiar with it during my last Morocco visit in 2005,were the tree that contains it is harvested.
Its also used in cooking there.
http://arganoils.com/

Another wonderful oil for the skin is rosehips oil.Is that the one you are talking about when you mentioned rose oil?If it is,is obtained mainly from Chilean ¨rosa mosqueta¨.

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.tisserand.com/ are an excellent company. Most essential oils need to be used with a carrier oil even then as Sash says it's a case of try and see. The website gives suggestions for 'recipes'. Hope it helps. As with most things you get what you pay for. The purer the oil the more expensive they'll be.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
http://www.rosehipoil.com/

As you can see,rosehips is not exactly a flower but a fruit.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
www.tisserand.com/ are an excellent company. Most essential oils need to be used with a carrier oil even then as Sash says it's a case of try and see. The website gives suggestions for 'recipes'. Hope it helps. As with most things you get what you pay for. The purer the oil the more expensive they'll be.

Yes,usually the best quality the ¨carrier¨or vehicle oil or alcohol used for dilution is,the better your skin will react and less likely that you have an allergic reaction. [Smile]
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
http://www.rosehipoil.com/

As you can see,rosehips is not exactly a flower but a fruit.

I think maybe it was rosehip oil after all [Smile] Now I don't know which of these I am going to try. There are so many!
melissa87
Member # 17186

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for melissa87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
Hi Hayat,

your question is a bit confusing. There are countless oils that are good for your hair and skin, but essential oils are only used in very small quantitites as an addition, in order to add a scent, or for aromatherapy.

I love natural oils and have experimented with them quite a bit, but you won't get around doing that and reading up on it yourself, because everyone's skin and hair are different. An oil that is great for my skin might not be good for yours at all. Olive oil, for example, is way too heavy for my hair, others love it. Oils have very different properties; some are good for dry skin, others for oily or acne prone skin, some are heavy, others are light and so on ...

For hair, coconut oil and sheabutter are great. Check this out for information on coconut oil:

Coconut Oil is the best treatment to heal, protect, and beautify your skin and hair

Also, Indian herbs and henna are very good for hair. I've been using them for a few years now, in addition to oiling my hair and avoiding silicones and chemistry, and my hair is very healthy and shiny. Check out those links:

Using Indian Herbs for Haircare

Indian Herbs from Hesh Pharma

This is a very good site to get a basic overview about various oils and their properties and usage:

www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/Fixed.asp

www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/EssentialOils.asp

Some other interesting links:

Hibiscus for hair and scalp

To cone or not to cone?

Herbs-n-oils blog

Methi -- Fenugreek

Why should you oil your hair?

Vatika Indian Coconut Oil

Asala hair oil

Free E-Book on Henna

Indian Beauty Secrets

I have a lot more information here, but unfortunately most of it is in German. If you have a question, just ask and I'll try to help. [Smile]

Hi Dalia, do u use the Asala brand products> because they looks really nice from the website and cheap too!
Posts: 140 | From: Ireland | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Olive Oil On Your Face?!
That’s right I said it! I know the idea of intentionally putting oil on our faces seems like a recipe for an acne disaster but it’s really not that farfetched of a concept. Olive oil is actually an ancient Egyptian beauty secret used by women to keep their skin glowing and smooth.

Olive oil has natural antioxidants and serves as an anti-inflammatory. It’s a natural moisturizer for the skin and doesn’t clog the pores. The skin care industry, it seems, would have you believe that the only way to be acne free is by stripping your skin of all traces of oil then frying it with some sort of alcohol based acne medicine. However, contrary to what the skin care industry would like you to think, you NEED oils to have soft healthy skin.

More and more skin care lines are introducing new products containing olive oil. But why waste money on products that merely contain olive oil as well as other chemical ingredients. Head to your local supermarket, pick up a bottle and try it out for yourself. Make sure it is “extra virgin” because it’s the least processed. Choose one that is deeper in color and preferably imported to ensure you are getting it in its purest form.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Dalia, i did it
"For hair, coconut oil and sheabutter are great. Check this out for information on coconut oil:

Coconut Oil is the best treatment to heal, protect, and beautify your skin and hair"
and it is true manageable and very healthy looking ...thanks for the tips and keep them coming plzzzzzzzz

maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To All My lovely Friends!With plenty of love... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Home remedies are great when you don't want to spend money to buy those over the counter remedies. Whether it is zapping a zit overnight, or getting rid of that nasty wart for good, I came up with some home remedies that I have used over the years, and some are remedies that you guys have emailed me! Let me know if you don't want me to list yours on the site! If you have any remedies that I don't list, sign my guestbook at the bottom of this page. I will add them to the site!

Skin Care

Remedy for oily skin: make a homemade mask by combining one egg white and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply mask and rinse with warm water after 20 minutes

For softer skin, steam your face over boiling water (drape a towel over head to hold in steam); remove dead skin with a loofah, drink lots of water

To rid blackheads, mix cornstarch with vinegar, plaster on the area for 15-30 minutes; wash off with washcloth and warm water.

Put cold, cooked oatmeal on your face, it can help give you nicer skin (submitted by laura)

Run out of shaving cream to shave your legs? Use hair conditioner. It makes legs nice and smooth too.

Also try your favorite body wash

To get rid of that fake tan from the tanning bottle that you may have messed up: 1/4 cup of lemon juice, 1/2 cup sugar, loofah and scrub. (You may have heard that on "The Wedding Planner.")

To help skin glow, place hot towels on skin for 10 minutes, then splash face with cold water 10 times

To help dry out your acne without drying out your face, put a thin layer of Phillips Milk of Magnesia over your face. It works great (submitted by visitor).

rub cucumber peel (wet side up) on your face and leave on overnight to cure acne(submitted by visitor)

(visitor recommendation) ~ For the smoothest skin ever... trust me I have psoriasis and it is nearly impossible to find a moisturizer that works... after a shower or bath spread vaseline over your entire body (or wherever you wish) , it's a very greasy feeling but be patient. let it soak into your skin for about an hour or more if u can handle it, while sitting on a towel. this works so well that you only need to do it once or twice a month

Ridding Scars

Apply cocoa butter

Apply Vitamin E

Hiccups

I know it sounds nuts, but that hiccup trick works for me; where you get a tall cup of water, sit it on the table, and drink from the opposite side of the glass. It may have something to do with the way your air passages are as you drink

Also for hiccups, try a spoonful of peanut butter

(submitted by visitor) The only real hiccup cure is one that treats the hiccups for what they really are. Hiccups are caused by the diaphragm spasming. Taking in as much air as possible, makes the lungs expand and push down on the diaphragm. This stretches the diaphragm out to it original position and shape. Hold the breath as long as possible, just don't pass out, and let it out. Voila', no more hiccups. It works every time. (submitted by visitor)

Nails

To help dry nail polish quicker, run your fingers under cold water.

I have one more to add to your section for nails. If you keep your nailpolish in the fridge, they stay fresher longer and you can keep them longer. (submitted by laura)

Sunburn

To help the peeling on your face after a sunburn, mix a tablespoon of sugar with a cleansing get

When shaving your bikini line, make sure you lather the area with lots of soap before putting on your shaving cream. Go over each area only once to prevent irritation, and when you are finished put deodorant on the just shaven area (be careful to only get it on the skin). Bumps and irritation will be greatly reduced if not completely gone! (submitted by visitor)

Headaches

Cut a lime in half and rub over forehead and temples.

Hangovers

Drink a glass of milk before you go out drinking, and a glass of drink before bed; also eat before you go out.

Take 2 advil before going out, 2 before bed.

Dark Circles

Dark circles under eyes - drink lots of water, sleep on 2 pillows, apply cold compresses.

Sleep on several pillows to rid puffy eyes.

Acne

(submitted by visitor) I get rid of a pimple completely overnight, or about 1 to 2 days, (depending on how severe the blemish). Pop your pimple. by sliding the edge of something, across it, and poping it. Then 1/4 fill your sink with warm water, and pour about a half cup of salt to the water. Take a cotton ball or cotton square or round, and soak it in the salty water for about 30 seconds, moving it around in the water getting it good and salty. Take it out and squeeze out the water. Apply the cotton ball to pimple, and push down. if it doesn't tingle, put more salt on the cotton ball. When it does tingle, push down for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, DO NOT WASH OFF THE SALT THAT STAYS ON YOUR FACE!!! Take Some honey and drop it on a Q-tip. Apply honey to pimple and leave on for 15 mintes.After 15 min is up, rinse off with water. Then apply a dab of toothpaste and leave overnight... That's it!!! Odd i know, but i works!! (submitted by Tiffany R)

To zap a zit overnight, apply toothpaste to the area before bed

To rid redness from a big pimple, pop 2 advil; it gets rid of the inflammation

Also for pimple redness, apply visine eyedrops

Take an egg and crack it over the sink and let the white of the egg go into a bowl; use the white to dab on your pimple. Leave on overnight or for 20 minutes. It should help suck out the nasty stuff in that pimple

Try LureBeauty.com's Camphor Souffle Deep Pore Cleanser which has FIVE herbal extracts. It instantly softens the tap water, and helps to dissolve the heavy sebum that usually clogs pores in oily and blemished skin. It leaves the skin thoroughly cleansed and ready for treatment products. It is recommended for excessively oily and blemish prone skin types. This deep pore cleanser has decongestive and anti-irritation properties; removes surface dead cell build-up, impurities, and pore blockage; promotes anti-bacterial activity; helps to promote a clear and smooth complexion. Camphor, Clove Oil and five Herbal extracts help to cleanse and rejuvenate oily and blemished skin. If you wear makeup, try to ONLY wear BISMUTH-FREE, TALC-FREE mineral makeup. You can get samples or trial sizes of our new mineral makeup here!

Warts

To get rid of a wart fast, use nail polish (preferably colorless so it cannot be seen). Wart shoud be gone in a week.

Another wart remover is to use duct tape on warts on your feet for 7 days...I just heard that one! Also, I just heard that if you go in your yard and take a dandelion and break it open, dab the milk from the dandelion on the wart

Sore Throat

Gargle salt water for a sore throat

Hair Care

For thicker and healthier hair, steep 1/2 cup rosemary leaves in 1 cup water. Add the infusion to 1/2 bottle of your favorite shampoo and wash once a day. Rosemary promotes thicker, healthier hair by unclogging pores and hair follicles, and also adds great shine. Rosemary tea, drank once per day, promotes better circulation and also aids in better hair growth.

To prevent frizziness, apply a frizz aid product and let hair air dry.

To make your hair really shine, rinse it in cold water for a couple minutes

For blondes, to make hair lighter, apply lemon or lemon juice

take an egg yolk and lather into wet hair. Leave in for a few minutes and it helps condition and adds protein, which helps against breakage and hair loss.

Mosquito Bites

To keep mosquitos away, use baby oil; they don't like to put their feet in it

To help stop the itch of a mosquito bite, apply toothpaste (not gel) to the area

To keep mosquitoes from biting you place a dryer sheet in your pocket

For bites, apply hemmoroid cream

Dry, Chapped Lips

Slather your lips with vaseline overnight to cure dry, chapped lips.

To exfoliate the lips brush a toothbrush over the lips to get rid of the dead cells

Insomnia

If you cannot sleep, eat spaghetti; it relieves tension.

Heat up a glass of milk in the microwave and drink

Ear Infections

Use lemon juice in your ear for an ear infection

Hydrogen peroxide works for me. Drop a few drops in the ear and lean over to let it sink in ( it feels really cool too). It actually feels like it is working. I do this a few times a day and it gets rid of it quickly!

For ear infections, especially swimmers ear, you can clear it up by putting a few drops of rubbing alcohol into your ear and draining it immediately a few times a day. It's better to do this to both ears after a swim to prevent the ear infection completely. I've had two terrible ear infections and I use alcohol every time I swim now. Do this at the first hint of ache or itchiness in your ear (submitted by Matt)

Hangovers

Drink a glass of milk before you go out drinking, and a glass of drink before bed; also eat before you go out.

Take 2 advil before going out, 2 before bed.

Eat breakfast the next morning with glass of tomato juice if you have nausea

Bowel Problems

To rid diarrhea, heat a cup of milk in microwave (not to a boil) and drink.

Drink lots of water for diarrhea because diarrhea dehydrates you; also, eat rice

(visitor recommendation) I have a friend from Poland that gave me a remedy for diarrhea that works quicker than even immodium can. What you do is take a regular tea bag, cut it open, take out a teaspoon of the mixture and swallow it down with any beverage. I know this sounds gross, and it kind of is, but you can feel it work immediately. This is no joke, try it for yourself, and let me know what you think. Thanks- Carla G

For cramps or stomach aches, eat a banana. The pain should be gone in about 10 min.(submitted by Tabitha)

Constipation

Swallow a table spoon of olive oil for constipation

This helped me a lot, DRINK AS MUCH WATER AS YOU CAN; and eat an apple, that worked for me!

Bee Stings/Bug Bites

For a bee sting, apply baking soda compresses- the soda soothes the sting and draws out the stinger.

Apply sliced raw garlic, which relieves wasp and bee stings; follow with an ice pack

A baking soda compress helps a bee sting; if stung by a wasp, apply vinegar to soothe.

Feet

To cure athlete's foot spray it with a generous amount of holding hair spray

Household Remedies

Use White vinegar and water to clean glass

For pans that have had food burned onto the bottom, apply a capful of ammonia, fill the pan with water and boil for a few minutes, it will soften all of that up so you don't have to throw out the pan.

Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
great post max...thanks ..its very helpful
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you are welcome my dear...

--------------------
www.excitingegypt.co.uk

Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by melissa87:

Hi Dalia, do u use the Asala brand products> because they looks really nice from the website and cheap too!

Yes, I use them and like them very much. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:

thanks for the tips and keep them coming plzzzzzzzz

OK, here are two more that I've successfully tried. [Wink]

Hair Gel for All Hair Types

2 tablespoons of flax seeds
1 cup of water

1 vitamin E capsule
(optional, good for dry, damaged or chemically-treated hair)

1 tablespoon of rosewater
or 3 drops of your favorite essential oil

Unlike the commercial varieties, this styling gel also acts as a conditioner, so it is particularly good for dry hair. Combine the flax seeds and water in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool for 30 minutes. Strain out the seeds and stir in the vitamin E oil (if using) and the rosewater or essential oil. Pour the mixture into a clean jar and store it in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to one month.

Snowy's Fave Moisture Treatment

1 part Fave conditioner
1/4 part honey
1/4 part clear aloe vera gel

Place in a cup and warm in microwave for 10 to 15 seconds -- just until warm. Wash hair and squeeze out excess, blot dry, leave in under heat cap, warm towels or shower cap, what have you, for an hour or so. Rinse well. Finish (add leave-in if you do so) and style as usual Wah-la!!! Extreme Moistness. This is great after protein treatments.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Another fantastic natural hair rinse that ive tried personally is concocted with apple cider vinegar.Rinse your hair with this,and you can leave it on.You can either dilute it with some water,or use less quantity applied sparingly directly to the hair.
Also,you can make some sort of chamomile tea and add this to the vinegar,then run it thru your clean,wet hair.Also,you can substitute the chamomile for dried rosemary leaves if you prefer.
The chamomile can slightly lighten your hair,while the rosemary has the properties mentioned above.
This mix will instantly give your hair great shine and make your hair softer and manageable.

And noo,your hair wont smell like a salad after it has dried up. [Big Grin]

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sashy..your salad mix isn't funny, some of our naive members might try it out and lose their hair for life.. [Eek!]

*Pulls Sashy by the hair to make sure she understands*

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

Another fantastic natural hair rinse that ive tried personally is concocted with apple cider vinegar.Rinse your hair with this,and you can leave it on.

I do this almost every time I wash my hair, particularly when I'm in Germany because the water is very hard there.
At the moment I'm using balsamico instead of apple cider vinegar. [Big Grin]

ACV rinse

quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:

Sashy..your salad mix isn't funny

You could actually prepare a salad dressing in my bathroon, lol ... there's the vinegar, a couple of oils, and a jar of sea salt too. [Razz]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
quote:

Another fantastic natural hair rinse that ive tried personally is concocted with apple cider vinegar.Rinse your hair with this,and you can leave it on.

I do this almost every time I wash my hair, particularly when I'm in Germany because the water is very hard there.
At the moment I'm using balsamico instead of apple cider vinegar. [Big Grin]

ACV rinse

What added or different benefit you get from switching to balsamic vinegar,Dalia?Like i read on that long hair forum,they say it has sugar in it and might not be the same.
What´s your experience with it?

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

What added or different benefit you get from switching to balsamic vinegar,Dalia?Like i read on that long hair forum,they say it has sugar in it and might not be the same.

Pure coincidence. One day I went to buy apple cider vinegar but it wasn't available, so I just grabbed a bottle of cheap balsamico. Actually, I like the scent very much, that's why I keep using it.

Balsamico of lesser quality (like the one I'm using for my hair) often has some caramel added for flavour or colour, the better ones don't. But I don't think it's a big problem. You just use a few tablespoons on a liter of water, so how much sugar can there actually be in that mixture? Plus, many people use a honey or acv / honey rinse, that's sugary as well.

However, that's just my opinion. Maybe using balsamico is not a good idea at all, but it seems to work fine for me. [Smile]

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Just did a bit of browsing, and it seems there are many people who use balsamic vinegar without any problems.

Also came across this recipe which sounds interesting. [Cool]

RICE IS NICE!!!

I was amazed at how this simple recipe plumped up my hair's volume!

This is what I did:

Soak one part dried Rice (any type of rice will do) in 2 parts water.

Optional - add 10 grams of your favourite floral herb - something like Organic Chamomile or Organic Rose Buds.

Leave to soak overnight.

Strain the liquid out and transfer it to a spritz bottle

Spritz on to damp hair

Leave in for 5 minutes

Dry and style as usual

Why this works:

Rice protein (ie: rice starch & amino acids) strengthens and expands the diameter of each hair shaft, adding more volume to your hair.

Source

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
apple cider vinegar on the hair? really? So just add a few drops after you towel dry your hair?
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
apple cider vinegar on the hair? really? So just add a few drops after you towel dry your hair?

Not just a few drops,7ayat.You can either dilute a few tablespoons in a cup of water and pour thru your hair after shampooing and conditioning,or pour some directly into your hand and run thru your hair.
Leave on hair and style as usual.

Ive been using it mixed with some chamomile solution and my hair has been in the best condition ever.Highly recommend it.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i used the rice water from soaking rice in water then using the liquid.my hair is very fine and it makes it feel thicker and fuller due to the protein in the rice....love it thanks Dalia.got me a squirt bottle full of the rice water ,oh and i waited 5 mins before i blew it dry
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Its a good idea to get one of those cheap plastic spray bottles to pour this mixes into.It's then a lot more easier to distribute all over the hair. [Smile]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
maybe you missed it sash i said i " got me a squirt bottle" to us that is a spray bottle [Big Grin] [Wink]
i am really enjoying experimenting with natural things ..and they do seem to work better then any thing you can buy .hell they are right in my kitchen...thanks again *DALIA*& SASH for the good hints and links [Wink]

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Yes,yes,Micky,i noticed after i posted my reply that you meant the same by squirt bottle.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
it is all good sash
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by maxman:

For the smoothest skin ever... trust me I have psoriasis and it is nearly impossible to find a moisturizer that works... after a shower or bath spread vaseline over your entire body (or wherever you wish) , it's a very greasy feeling but be patient. let it soak into your skin for about an hour or more if u can handle it, while sitting on a towel. this works so well that you only need to do it once or twice a month

Slather your lips with vaseline overnight to cure dry, chapped lips.

Vaseline is a cheap mineral oil that is not being absorbed by the skin. If you use vaseline or mineral oil-based chapsticks regularly, they can in fact dry out your lips in the long run. Plant-based oils are a much better choice.

Vaseline: Baby Cure-All? Not Really!

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
I think coconut oil can be found in a semisolid form in small tin cans ready to apply to the lips,and carry around in your purse or handbag.
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Actually, since it became known that mineral oil-based chapsticks cause an "addiction", most of the ones you get in Germany are made from natural oils and waxes. [Smile]

http://www.bienetrespa.com/skin-care-101/obsessed-lip-balm/

oliver09
Member # 19956

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for oliver09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of essential oils are strong in nature and can cause side effects, if they are not used in appropriate manner and quantities, therefore you should consult a medical practitioner before using essential oils. Most essential oils should be used with a base/carrier oil. There is useful infomation at
www.jabylay.co.uk

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
Hi

I am really interested in experimenting with essential oils and I was wondering if anyone here has tried any? Which are the best? I am particularly interested in stuff that is good for the hair and skin?

Thanks

Hemp oil is fantastic but maybe illegal in Egypt> You may be able to find it in cream form.
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherryvan
sherryvan
Member # 23005

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherryvan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will recommend you Coconut Oil and Argan Oil. both of them are good for the hair and the skin. If you want to get a better result, you can use an web page essential oil diffuser.
Posts: 1 | From: the United State | Registered: Jan 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com