EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Mod (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mod
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings!

I have been a moderator on this bit of ES for about 3 hours now.

This is how I propose to operate:

I will take out spam if I see it.

I will delete expletives if I see them even if they're made by my very best friends, whoever they may be!

For the avoidance of doubt, there is no official list of expletives, I will use my 'educated Brit' list or words I was taught not to say when I were a nipper.

Removal of your expletive should not be taken to mean that I am taking sides with anyone.

In the event of a thread getting completely out of control with personal information being dished up etc, then the entire thread may well be deleted.

I don't know how the 'report post' system works as I haven't had any yet.

I do have a private life and will NOT be available 24/7 to deal with spats.

I modded for AOL for 10 years including the Manchester United Fan boards. They don't have a patch on ES believe me [Eek!]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Shanta. A sensible head amongst the madness that can be ES [Smile]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's so nice to see ES will be Moderated. Don't worry I'm sure you do a great job.

[Big Grin] Thumbs up for ES being Moderated.

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**Like**

Ooh, does that mean there's actually someone here to pester for a "like" button? Can we have one? Can we? Please?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry - from what I recall, these boards are powered on quite low forum technology and don't have the capacity for anything flashy unless a complete overhaul of the system was to occur.
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just kidding. Nice to know there is a grown up in here when things get a bit crazy though.
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww Monkey Shanta has be a Moderated for 3 hours, you cant crush her with new requests already .... Hmmm new animated smileys please...only kidding..

If you need any help with editing the headers, footer and style files or scripts, just give me a shout shanta.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
[Wink] [Razz] [Big Grin]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Hey all I do is edit swear words! I have zero to do with the look and feel and operation of the forum!
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
I think we were pulling your leg there shanta, you'll do a great job [Big Grin]
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In otherwords watch out, Americans agree with everything Brits have to say and watch how "personal information" is dished out for some and they won't be banned. But Americans will suffer the wrath.

I can see some serious cracking on the horizon. Plenty of Egyptians who don't post on this forum very often are naturalized American citizens.

The term "Egyptian Liberation Front" comes to mind just as Shumza was leaving.

Myopia on the rise!

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabruk shanta, I like what you've done already in editing certain words instead of whole posts or threads going. Good luck, there could be nights you wish you hadn't bothered though [Big Grin]

*evil grin*

*ooh the possibilities for keeping you up all night*
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tareq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats shanta.
Posts: 277 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020165;p=1#000021

How about this personal information?

Until the government releases the identity of the victims to the media its not considered public information.

Do I need to contact the Ministry of Information and send them ES owners home address?

Going ban me now?

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aahh speak of the devil and she shall appear ROFL [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

That total twisting of what was said is pretty amazing when you think about it though. What a mind!

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
If personal information is going to be protected how about this:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020110;p=1#000031

I contacted "theplanet.com" the webhoster for this forum and it has yet to be removed.

Next step for me would be to contact the Secretary of State of Texas, and put leins against ES owner residential property in California and Hawaii. I can file liens for invasion of privacy.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020165;p=1#000021

Until the government releases the identity of the victims to the media its not considered public information.

Do I need to contact the Ministry of Information and send them ES owners home address?

Going ban me now?

The link is there, it is public information!
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:

Going ban me now?

Where Ayisha has the government released this information to the public? WHere has a journalist cited/quoted a public official rending the names of the victims to public journalists?

Here:

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=agree_review

As for my child's name, I had contacted ES owner and mod Amr-, the webhoster and its not been deleted.

Clear invasion of my and my child's privacy.

This particular ES member has posted my personal information, my ex husband and my child's ongoingly for years and it doesn't even get deleted. If this post isn't deleted, despite it being retroactive to your tenure Shanta it puts you in a bad light from day one.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Going ban me now?

Where Ayisha has the government released this information to the public? WHere has a journalist cited/quoted a public official rending the names of the victims to public journalists?
It is in the link TL posted as I said. This one here. http://dostor.org/politics/egypt/11/january/2/34302 If you copy the 2nd block of Arabic and run it into google translate you get exectly what TL posted. Obviously this information has been released.

quote:
Here:

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=agree_review

you do all of those all the time and now you're complaining about it?

quote:
As for my child's name, I had contacted ES owner and mod Amr-, the webhoster and its not been deleted.

Clear invasion of my and my child's privacy.

This particular ES member has posted my personal information, my ex husband and my child's ongoingly for years and it doesn't even get deleted. If this post isn't deleted, despite it being retroactive to your tenure Shanta it puts you in a bad light from day one.

You also posted personal information and continue to, you cannot blame shanta for the previous mods, she's been here about 4 hours now.

Now shut up moaning that others may have done the same as you do..

GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GM44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, I am sure ES will look much better! Actually, it looks already better with less spam!
Posts: 264 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Please also note that I have no access to anything sent to previous mods.
I will not be trawling through old posts either.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:
Please also note that I have no access to anything sent to previous mods.
I will not be trawling through old posts either.

Thats fair, did you recieve the last and fourth "report post"

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020110;p=1#000031

Yeah I am a little annoyed. Its nearly 3am and the city is removing snow (complete with "backup sirens") from the corner next to my building.

Still I contacted the webhosting company, and I need to know if Mods are getting the "report post" messages or not.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Thank the Lord Almighty, thanks Shanta!

I developed some faith!

Now if the city would remove snow during day light hours or turn off the 70 decibel bells and whistles on those snow removing bobcats.

Argh! Land of no snow here I come!

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Yes, the 'report post' messages are coming through to me now, I didn't understand how the system worked and only just found them.

I do know though, that sometimes they don't come through, sometimes messages from egyptsearch get put in the spam filters eg I don't always get reports that someone has sent me a PM for example.

Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please can I have a special dispensation to say 'bugger' now and again.
Otherwise I find it hard to communicate.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Ok I will allow it MoNing (seeing as it's my dad's favourite swear word [Wink] )
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, and now I must bugger off to Alex.
Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats Shanta....maybe now sono wont be able to post our private lives on here?or shall i say our private lives as she sees them..the fake ones she makes up in that mind of her's [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
congrats Shanta....maybe now sono wont be able to post our private lives on here?or shall i say our private lives as she sees them..the fake ones she makes up in that mind of her's [Roll Eyes]

Well if the "private life" details aren't truthful then its nobody's loss now is it?
Mrs Hassan
Member # 15069

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs Hassan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feck off Shanta!

--------------------
MRS HASSAN

Posts: 129 | From: In the land of plenty | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

You are cruisin' for a bruisin' Mrs H!
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
quote:
Thank the Lord Almighty, thanks Shanta!

I developed some faith!

Now if the city would remove snow during day light hours or turn off the 70 decibel bells and whistles on those snow removing bobcats.

Argh! Land of no snow here I come!

I'm happy the Moderator has removed your details etc metinoot.

Shanta is doing a great job, and will continue to do so.

I hope TL will learn from her behavior, who has broken the terms and conditions of ES will re read the reviewed set of terms.

She will have to consider herself very lucky, she could of been banned by username or IP address.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Well if the "private life" details aren't truthful then its nobody's loss now is it?
you got that right...so stop making up things about people that arent true
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually its the former usernames themselves who make up things/details/identities about themselves that aren't true.

I exposed the lies people created about themselves.

At bit different from creating all new lies, disproving lies is not the same.

Liars/frauds fail to understand this.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually its the former usernames themselves who make up things/details/identities about themselves that aren't true.

whatever you say [Roll Eyes]
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

whatever you say [Roll Eyes]
Prove me wrong.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
you still want that picture of Lanie and her family with us in cairo dont you.....
i have a lot of proof but dont care to share it with ya...you will make some excuse why it isnt dated or it really isnt her...i dont want to fight with you...it is really not worth the efforts...you will believe what you want anyway...feel so sorry for you , i really do

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The sad part is you really believe you do 'expose' people's lies be making up what you think are their lives.
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Isn't bugger the same thing as "fag"? No insults mean no insults, slippery slope.....
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
The sad part is you really believe you do 'expose' people's lies be making up what you think are their lives.

No one yet has proved me wrong.
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
you still want that picture of Lanie and her family with us in cairo dont you.....
i have a lot of proof but dont care to share it with ya...you will make some excuse why it isnt dated or it really isnt her...i dont want to fight with you...it is really not worth the efforts...you will believe what you want anyway...feel so sorry for you , i really do

i like that pic and she isnt a figure of yr imigination.
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:

Again claiming that you have proof isn't proof.

Smuckers, Nooralhaq also claimed she was never married before and didn't have prior children.

That was a lie.

I understand you will continue to lie for her and not show proof. It helps you deal with your romantic disappointments thats on you.

And while you assume that your continued lying over and over again bothers me, what bothers you is that you need someone false life as a ruse to prove validity of your own claims.

I don't need to lie about my life on ES, others do, and thats their problem.

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
quote:
Isn't bugger the same thing as "fag"? No insults mean no insults, slippery slope.....

No. Bugger is the dirty deed, whilst ""fag"" is a homophobhic slur against a gay person.
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
quote:

No. Bugger is the dirty deed, whilst ""fag"" is a homophobhic slur against a gay person.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bugger

I was under the impression in the context its used, that bugger is a person who engages in sodomy.

Fag isn't exactly a slur when actual homosexuals use it. Fag vernacular hails from "Faggot" or "pile of sticks" I suspose.... Yeah I wouldn't describe it but can be used in a modern context of a "fleshlight" filler.

can we have a USAian safe "cuss" or "expletive" word, chosen by actual Americans?

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
What about "troll"?
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

No one yet has proved me wrong.
You have not proved that you have ever been to Egypt even once or that you're not posting from some mental asylum and given access to a computer every time you are let out your padded cell. If you think you have then please repost relevant threads and photos with date stamps and a copy of your photo ID and passport and a few salary slips so it can be verified.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

/
Smuckers, Nooralhaq also claimed she was never married before and didn't have prior children.

That was a lie.

I understand you will continue to lie for her and not show proof. It helps you deal with your romantic disappointments thats on you.

And while you assume that your continued lying over and over again bothers me, what bothers you is that you need someone false life as a ruse to prove validity of your own claims.

no romantic disappointments here...sorry WRONG again [Big Grin] i am satisfied every night , how about you...do you have a man to keep you warm at night?
so dont even say anything about my romantic disappointments as i have NONE

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't a fag just a cigarette [Wink]
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
quote:

No. Bugger is the dirty deed,
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bugger

I was under the impression in the context its used, that bugger is a person who engages in sodomy.

[/QB]

That was what she just said. [Wink]

Although that is not how it is mostly used these days and is used in the context that Mo Ning said it as in 'bugger off', similarly to 'sod off' I suppose. Words get re-used often, the term 'gay' used to mean happy, it doesn't now.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

/

That was a lie.

no romantic disappointments here...sorry WRONG again [Big Grin] i am satisfied every night , how about you...do you have a man to keep you warm at night?
so dont even say anything about my romantic disappointments as i have NONE

I could see how that cardboard cut out of that very dishy man you brought to Egypt with you would keep you satisfied Micky. [Big Grin] [Wink]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com