EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cairo post departure (about the revolution) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Cairo post departure (about the revolution)
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post 
New thread for the ongoing developments.

Original thread of 47 pages:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020191

Thread about the Animals:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020208

Why did I start a new thread?

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020222;p=1#000007

How to link to a post in the locked thread?

You can link to posts in the locked thread from here. Find the post you want to link to, right click the little icon on the left before the word 'posted' - on most posts it is a yellow 'message pad' - and you can copy and paste the location into your comments in here.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still feeling quite happy this morning. Still a fair amount of honking going on outside.

So happy for the people of Egypt! I hope they can move forward towards getting what they want and have fought for. [Smile]

Looking forward to what will happen in the coming weeks and months.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swam
Member # 5321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Misr,
popular awareness became huge!
Joy in front of results of determination and dignity, chokran.

bonne suite.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cooking koshari tonight to celebrate [Smile]
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longusername
Member # 1428

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for longusername     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings,

I hope you are all well.

I'm not complaining and I'm sure it doesn't really matter. I am just wondering why lock a thread just because it has reached a certain number of pages? It's hard to see why 47 pages are any worse than 2. To get to the most recent page from the list of threads to read the most recent posts, it's just as easy to click on the highest page number as it is to click on the number 2, no matter how many pages there may be. If 47 is not worse than 2 why lock a thread at all based on page numbers? On the other hand, why not lock one that reaches 48 or 124?

Best Wishes,
LUN

Posts: 94 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing it was locked more because it was very centered around the protesters and the struggle, with links about timely information shared, etc.

Since the demands of the protesters were met and hopefully things will be moving forward, there is not the immediacy of the situation any longer, and we can start with a fresh new thread, just like Misr is starting fresh. [Smile]

Just my guess though.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

The ruling military pledged Saturday to eventually hand power to an elected civilian government

Egypt's interim authorities shortened the curfew hours Saturday, setting the new time from midnight to 6 a.m., state TV reported.

The main opposition coalition — a loosely based grouping of youth and traditional opposition groups — said it would end its main protest in Cairo's Tahrir, or Liberation, Square but would call for weekly demonstrations after Friday prayers.

The group also listed its demands for the first time during a press conference. Those included: the lifting of hated emergency laws, the forming of a presidential council and broad-based unity government, the dissolution of parliament and creation of a committee to amend or rewrite the constitution. They called for reforms ensuring freedom of the press, freedom to form political parties and more transparent media institutions.

The coalition also called for an investigation into allegations of endemic corruption within the regime and the trial of officials responsible for the deaths of protesters.

Egypt's ruling military will honor the peace treaty with Israel

Banks reopened last week and the stock market was scheduled to reopen on Wednesday, nearly three weeks after it was closed.

Most stores in Cairo have reopened, and the usually congested traffic in the city of 18 million is returning to its normal level.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110212/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt

http://in.news.yahoo.com/egypt-reduces-curfew-hours-20110212-043521-596.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110212/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt_466

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I locked it not because of the number of pages specifically (though it if it had only been 6 or 7 I wouldn't have), but because it was informative and contained debate and discussion. People might want to read it through in detail. Almost like "Chapter 1".

The protestors achieved their stated aim - that HM should leave - yesterday, so now we are in a new era and the discussions will take a different flavour and have different issues to discuss. Hence it felt like an appropriate place to start a new thread.

Until yesterday, there was one focus. From today there will be new foci - the opposition will start defining their positions over the coming weeks and people will be trying to identify their aims and where their sympathies lie.

A thread like Happy People could be a zillion pages long and that wouldn't matter because its more or less random rather than debates and discussions and I don't really think anyone will be reading it from the word go!

PS the original thread seems to be one of the longest (top 5) on the whole of ES (excluding Ancient Egypt and Egyptology which I can't bear to look at) by a long long way and it was done in under a month. The 3 or so longer threads have taken a couple of years to get that long.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

AJE - army has made conditional offer to remove emergency law on Friday?
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now revolution takes hold in Algeria: '30,000' riot police try to quell democracy march inspired by downfall of Hosni Mubarak

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356220/Algeria-Police-try-quell-Egypt-inspired-protest-Hosni-Mubarak-downfall.html

I wonder if there will be any demonstartions and riots in North Korea.... China....Zimbabwe and other non democratic countries, doubt it very much, they seem to have a different approach to people rioting. Believe me, we Africans have looked on at Egypt with envy, as most of the dictators. are similar if not worse to Mubarak. Uganda is one such country, next week they have elections which are going to be 'won' by the current President- who will go on to lead for an another 5 years making it a total of 30 years with little to show for it! IT HURTS!!!
- Maureen , Formely British Colony with plenty of sunshine, 12/2/2011 15:18

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Egyptians gather around a "stone memorial" covered in flowers, in honor of those who died since the Jan. 25 uprising started, as it is lowered down from a truck by a crane, in Tahrir Square in downtown Cairo, Egypt Saturday, Feb. 12, 2011.

Pictures here:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x403738

People clean and clear out Tahrir Square in Cairo February 12, 2011. Pictures

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x402735

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shanta for President!

Saw thread was locked and moaned as wanted to post in it, saw this one with link to the other in the first post so ta muchly for that.

Fully agree with reason for closting chapter 1.

@ Penny, been thinking about you a lot lately, wasn't sure where you were but glad you're safe! [Big Grin]

I have been out all day away from tv and internet [Eek!]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

AJE just said that State TV showed the martyrs!

Forming Council of Trustees to defend the aims of the demonstrators.

Also: Police in Alex protesting outside the Ministry of Information for failing to protect their reputation!!!!

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if they are going to reorganize the police (black uniform thugs)...something needs to be done about them... [Eek!]
Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hosni Mubarak used last 18 days in power to secure his fortune

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/8320912/Egypt-Hosni-Mubarak-used-last-18-days-in-power-to-secure-his-fortune.html

(Edited your link as the one you posted was broken).

[ 12. February 2011, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Shanta Qadeama ]

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was very moved when i saw on TV news Egyptians themselves taking care in cleaning Tahrir Sq,including scrubbing the stone panels under some statue off grafitti. [Smile]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya folks,
Allow me to introduce myself if I may.
My name is Amoun and I'm over the moon, for obvious reasons.

I was born yesterday! tried to enter my birth date as 11/2/2011 but the system said I was under age. Clearly it was able to detect I was one day old!

Just for the record, in a previous life I was known as Ramses nemesis and still exist as such in a parallel universe, but for now I'm Amoun and I'm ova da moon.

Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the niceties out of the way, now to the real stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:

Also: Police in Alex protesting outside the Ministry of Information for failing to protect their reputation!!!!

Didn't know they had one of those (reputation). As for the MoI, well tarnishing police reputation would be the least of my worries. How about misinforming the public, the ones that pay their salaries.
Like the police, there's a need for serious re-structuring of state media. It should be more professional than political, a bit like the BBC.
On paper Egypt has a similar system where the state "union of broadcast and television" has a council of trustees. Not sure who apoints them though, is it the minister or parliament. In any event, it does need to be reformed. It's really sad because Egypt's is the first Radio broadcast in the Arab world, and aparantly the second TV broadcast. Yet we've been completely over taken by the younger ones, like AJ, etc.
My 2p on revolutionary reform!

Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by longusername:
Greetings,

I hope you are all well.

I'm not complaining and I'm sure it doesn't really matter. I am just wondering why lock a thread just because it has reached a certain number of pages? It's hard to see why 47 pages are any worse than 2. To get to the most recent page from the list of threads to read the most recent posts, it's just as easy to click on the highest page number as it is to click on the number 2, no matter how many pages there may be. If 47 is not worse than 2 why lock a thread at all based on page numbers? On the other hand, why not lock one that reaches 48 or 124?

Best Wishes,
LUN

The same occured to me actually but Shanta explained it convincinlgy. Nonetheless, I think we should protest. Let's have a rally.
We want Shanta Gdeeda!!

vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Freedom in Egypt! But there's no petrol (and don't even think of asking for a gin and tonic)

The scene as the sun rose above the square in downtown Cairo was reminiscent of Trafalgar Square in the aftermath of an exuberant New Year’s Eve party.

The country is suffering chronic poverty and unemployment – 76 per cent of all young men do not work. This is socially crippling in a society where 60 per cent of the population is under 30

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356446/Egypt-protests-Celebrations-clean-Cairo-Mubarak-steps-down.html#ixzz1DoJILG8t

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moviespace
Member # 18588

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for moviespace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I'm a movie blogger and I am really interested in interviewing (over email) someone about my blog post: Will the fall of Egypt’s President see a rise in a new wave of creativity?
http://bit.ly/fKPuOu

Get in contact with me if you are interested....

Thanks heaps.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Hope the army don't get too heavy-handed with the demonstrators who won't go home.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by Amoun over the moon:
Hiya folks,
Allow me to introduce myself if I may.
My name is Amoun and I'm over the moon, for obvious reasons.

I was born yesterday! tried to enter my birth date as 11/2/2011 but the system said I was under age. Clearly it was able to detect I was one day old!

Just for the record, in a previous life I was known as Ramses nemesis and still exist as such in a parallel universe, but for now I'm Amoun and I'm ova da moon.

Greetings Amoun [Smile]
You have to be over 13 to use the forum [Smile]

I would turn into Shanta Gdida for a bit except then I won't be able to turn back to Qdeama or Qdeema (I used that one up).

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vwwvv:
Freedom in Egypt! But there's no petrol (and don't even think of asking for a gin and tonic)

The scene as the sun rose above the square in downtown Cairo was reminiscent of Trafalgar Square in the aftermath of an exuberant New Year’s Eve party.

The country is suffering chronic poverty and unemployment – 76 per cent of all young men do not work. This is socially crippling in a society where 60 per cent of the population is under 30

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356446/Egypt-protests-Celebrations-clean-Cairo-Mubarak-steps-down.html#ixzz1DoJILG8t

I keep on wondering if there is any procedure, any santaria ceremony I can perform to give myself telekenetic powers in which I could visualize your fingers breaking into a physical reality. At that point you couldn't copy and paste your usual drivel and bulcaca to ruin a joyous mood.
Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:
Egyptians gather around a "stone memorial" covered in flowers, in honor of those who died since the Jan. 25 uprising started, as it is lowered down from a truck by a crane, in Tahrir Square in downtown Cairo, Egypt Saturday, Feb. 12, 2011.

Pictures here:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x403738

People clean and clear out Tahrir Square in Cairo February 12, 2011. Pictures

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x402735

Thanks for sharing these links Myra. I have put some time into digging through democraticunderground and the site just freezes up my PC.

But I will save these DU threads and its photos. Absolutely precious.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:

People clean and clear out Tahrir Square in Cairo February 12, 2011.

Some more great pictures of people cleaning:

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-64590.html

This whole cleaning issue is very touching. (And, as someone else said, quite significant [Wink] )

I was very impressed with how clean the square was even while there were thousands of people camping and protesting on there. They had organized the garbage collection very well, and everyone took care to not just throw their stuff on the ground.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

First two bus rides of the revolution by me [Smile]

Needed to go to Al Arish St - half way up Haram Street.
Waited outside mine for a bus or microbus. A microbus pulled up, 'salam alaikum' they all said. I would only describe the facial expressions as that thing the Brits do so well: "surprised, pleased, but let's pretend it's completely normal" (and with a very slightly detectable eagerness to please).
Anyway, unfortunately he was going to Awl Faisal so couldn't get on it.
Then a minibus (these are the small buses bigger than a microbus) turned up going my way. Exactly the same facial expressions.
No other women on bus.
Apart from a couple of surreptious glances (and nothing to make me uncomfortable) and a couple of slight startled looks when more people got on the bus and notice me, nothing.
At Midan Remaya, about 20 young men got on. Apart from one or two little surprised glances when they first got on - diddle.
I got exactly the same amount of attention and hassle as before i.e. NONE WHATSOEVER.

In El Arish St, went to the Etisalat shop, again, the same slightly startled, surprised, pleased, let's pretend everything's normal reaction again. Went in Metro supermarket and KFC (with another ESer who I met for the first time up there [Wink] she can reveal herself if she chooses) - same.

Then I got a microbus back home again. Same.

I feel so refreshed after that.

Btw there are two tanks at Midan Remaya and an APC at the head of the El Fayoum Road, but you could easily not notice them. It only just occurred to me, of course, they are sand-coloured. Am too used to British khaki camouflage!

Couldn't see if the pyramids were reopened yet.

PS for those who don't know, I'm a strapping blonde foreigner, don't blend in, and very very rarely get any hassle or stares.

Glassflower
Member # 17950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glassflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just a quickie,and sorry no links as based on phone calls and what I remember of media input-

I saw mention of pensions going up and a phonecall that said the person had 'signed on' and was expecting to get money 'like you do in your country' if you are not working. I found that hard to believe as I imagine it would take a while to organise a social security system! Anyone else heard of that?

Posts: 314 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone with any idea when the British embassy will be back up and running, please let me know.
Considering a friend got his visa today, I'm assuming the germany embassy is all good.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Went out this morning to meet our Shanta Gdeeda (was Qadeema), and have to say I was a little wary of being out as I've not been out since the 31st or so.

I tried to surreptitiously look about as we were out to see if I was getting any stares, but only saw one or two men who seemed surprised to see me, but that's about normal for me.

I can't say I felt threatened but I can't say I felt like things were back like before either. Still not sure enough how people are feeling about foreigners from watching news or being misinformed or anything else.

Overall I'd say it was fine out, Giza way. [Smile]

Also, Shanta appeared neither old or bag like. Is this the spot where I tutt? lol

cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SQ, considering all the reports that I had from my friend who lives off haram street (near where you went [Smile] ) . . . did you notice much damage from fires? That would have been nightclubs hich were torched during the first days of protesting . . . but maybe you needed to go further down (I can't remember where all those places are located in relation to El Arish Street).

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

quote:
Originally posted by cbrbddd:
SQ, considering all the reports that I had from my friend who lives off haram street (near where you went [Smile] ) . . . did you notice much damage from fires? That would have been nightclubs hich were torched during the first days of protesting . . . but maybe you needed to go further down (I can't remember where all those places are located in relation to El Arish Street).

Actually I saw them going back home. There was one that looked like it might have had some damage (wasn't paying close enough attention) and one that was blocked with a wood type structure or something, which it usually isn't when we pass by, so maybe there was some damage to that one.
Glassflower
Member # 17950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glassflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok...this is an interesting view via a facebook link about the role of the military that I havent yet seen in this forum...I did ask the guy if it was ok to copy and seeing facebook played such a big part in it all didnt think you'd mind. I know there have been some wonderfully inspiring photos of lads and their tanks but is anyone else suspicious of the role of the army ?

Imtiaz Hussain Mahmood ‎"Security and normalcy are top priorities." - Shafiq announced after meeting with Tantawi. Next will be security clampdown. The protests are going to end. Military coup was planned by army to remove Mubarak and Gamal dynasty. It used people to pull it off. A military coup is not a revolution, the dictator is gone but not the dictatorship.
46 minutes ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading....Imtiaz Hussain Mahmood Islam & military are both anti-democracy. Of top10 failed states 7 are Muslim & of top 10 most corrupt nations 7 are Muslim. Egypt's work ethics are Insha Allah & education is poor.
The real revolution in Muslim world can come only by chang...ing school curriculum to science heavy secular international curriculum. This can only be done by putting it as condition to foreign aid.See more
43 minutes ago · LikeUnlike · 1 person (name deleted) likes this..Imtiaz Hussain Mahmood The military restraint helped show to the 84 millions of Egyptians that didn't come out that military can be trusted with the country. The protesters never numbered more than 200,000 and did not come close to the protests of 1989 or Iran 19...79. The combo of the military's end goal and the small protests meant the military never felt threatened enough to crack down. The whole transfer of power was internally managed and now the powers of the Parliament and the president belong to the military . The military will decide when "military rule" ends.See more
41 minutes ago · LikeUnlike.Imtiaz Hussain Mahmood Army needs set the specific date of the election, specific dates for milestones leading up to the election, e.g., Constitutional reform, dates for registering candidates, dates for establishing who will oversee the elections to ensure that they are fair, lifting emergency rules which block freedom of speech and press so the candidates can run and debate freely in the open, etc. If they do all these things quickly it will give people confidence that the Army is serious about civilian democratic rule.
40 minutes ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading....Imtiaz Hussain Mahmood Breaking news: The Egyptian military said they will run the country for six months, or until presidential and parliament elections can be held. Egypt's military rulers have dissolved parliament and suspended the constitution. Let's hope they soon announce lifting of emergency.
35 minutes ago · LikeUnlike · 2 peopleLoading....Imtiaz Hussain Mahmood Q: Where does the Egyptian military contend to derive their authority from ? Clearly, there is no authority that I am aware anywhere of a military possessing the right to suspend a constitution.
A: The loaded magazine rounds..
20 minutes ago · LikeUnlike.(name deleted) Thanks Imtiaz....Thats a different take on things...may I invite you to www.egyptsearch.com forum....? You sound like you would give an interesting perspective....
19 minutes ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading....(name deleted) or may I copy paste that take on the post rev thread?
18 minutes ago · LikeUnlike.مستر جيف لوي ‎@Imiataz: The way I understand it, Military governments like this are legal under international law. At least recognized globally.
7 minutes ago · LikeUnlike.Imtiaz Hussain Mahmood ‎(name deleted): You have full rights to copy paste any of my posts here or elsewhere
3 minutes ago · UnlikeLike · 1 personYou like this.

(EDIT BY SHANTA: I have edited out real names other than Imtiaz as he has now joined the forum under this name).

[ 13. February 2011, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Shanta Gdeeda (was Qadeema) ]

Posts: 314 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Interesting view on AJE from someone in Tel Aviv, not sure who it is.
Basically, look at how peaceful this revolution has been so far, look to the chances not the problems.
If I get his name, I'll add it later.

Gideon Levy, journalist on Haaretz newspaper.

Excellent article here:

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/opinion/the-middle-east-does-not-need-stability-1.342381

I quote just one of the paragraphs here:

"This so-called stability encompasses millions of Arabs living under criminal regimes and evil tyrannies. In stable Saudi Arabia, the women are regarded as the lowest of the low; in stable Syria, any sign of opposition is repressed; in stable Jordan and Morocco, the apple of the eye of the West and Israel, people are frightened to utter a word of criticism against their kings, even in casual coffee-shop conversations."

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by cbrbddd:

I didn't see any, but I think all the clubs etc are further along Haram St than I went.
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:

I've not been out since the 31st or so.

Wow! You haven't been out at all? Not even grocery shopping or going for a walk? [Eek!] Aren't you suffering from cabin fever?

I've been out every single day, I was going insane being locked in the house so much. Been running errands, sitting at the ahwa, taking taxis etc. I've been on the Metro regularly, but only from Sakanat to Maadi or vice versa. Went to Dar el Salam briefly some time last week. I took the Metro downtown and spent a lot of time on Tahrir on the 10th and the 11th.

I haven't encountered any hostility, stares, harassment, or anything of that sort. There were reports of hostilities against foreigners at some point, but personally I didn't feel any of that.

I got – as is normal – some curious looks, and a few people on Tahrir asked me what my nationality is or welcomed me. At some point I got very badly stuck in a crowd in the middle of the square, not being able to move forward, but people pushing from behind. Yet I haven't been grabbed, harassed or anything of the sort.

My personal experience is that people were actually very friendly to me as a foreigner during this revolution.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Watching this police protest on AJ - they're protesting outside the Interior Ministry.

Just to indicate how peaceful this whole thing has been (overall) noone's attacking them.

LovedOne
Member # 10222

quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:

I've not been out since the 31st or so.

Wow! You haven't been out at all? Not even grocery shopping or going for a walk? [Eek!] Aren't you suffering from cabin fever?

I've been out every single day, I was going insane being locked in the house so much. Been running errands, sitting at the ahwa, taking taxis etc. I've been on the Metro regularly, but only from Sakanat to Maadi or vice versa. Went to Dar el Salam briefly some time last week. I took the Metro downtown and spent a lot of time on Tahrir on the 10th and the 11th.

I haven't encountered any hostility, stares, harassment, or anything of that sort. There were reports of hostilities against foreigners at some point, but personally I didn't feel any of that.

I got – as is normal – some curious looks, and a few people on Tahrir asked me what my nationality is or welcomed me. At some point I got very badly stuck in a crowd in the middle of the square, not being able to move forward, but people pushing from behind. Yet I haven't been grabbed, harassed or anything of the sort.

My personal experience is that people were actually very friendly to me as a foreigner during this revolution.

I do get a bit of cabin fever, yes. [Razz]
It's not usually so long between going out, but with the curfew and everything else going on, just... meh.
Hubby brought home groceries, etc., so I've just been in.

Not anyplace really nice to go in our neighborhood anyways. Though I always enjoy getting out for a walk and seeing what there is to be seen. [Smile]

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Excellent article:

Why Egypt Will Not Be Another Iran

The overwhelming role played by religious forces in Iran contrasts with the ongoing demonstrations, strikes, and other actions in Egypt, which has been led from the outset by secular youth through the Internet and other means of communication. The slogans, communiqués, banners, graffiti, tweets, and Facebook messages have been almost exclusively secular in orientation, pushing nationalistic and liberal democratic themes. And, despite decades of U.S. support for the Mubarak dictatorship, the Egyptian protests have featured virtually no explicit anti-Americanism, a striking contrast with the Iranian revolution. Indeed, the current protests have almost exclusively focused on Mubarak’s misrule rather than the U.S. role in enabling it.

The Muslim Brotherhood

U.S. apologists for the Egyptian dictatorship point to the fact that the largest single opposition group – and arguably best organized – is the Muslim Brotherhood, a movement which has played a role in Egyptian politics since the 1920s. Being the single largest opposition group, however, does not mean that the Muslim Brotherhood has majority support – far from it. Most estimates put their popular support at 20-15 percent, with the upper estimate at 30 percent or slightly higher. Its active adherents probably number no more than 100,000 out of a population of over 82 million. There are also serious divisions between the more progressive and more conservative elements within the movement, and it would likely split into two or more political parties once legalized. Indeed, according to the Egyptian newspaper El-Masry El-Youm, both the women’s and youth wing appear to have already split from the Muslim Brotherhood last week and joined the April 6 Movement.

Read full article here

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/02/11-0

adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According several sites hosni m in coma.
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

yeah, I read that too.
Hm.

adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im stressed now just said mon is bank holiday because workers are on strike. My money comes wed. I need atm will have money and international access! Help!
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

None of us know Adelly.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

According to Al Masry Al Youm, Hosni on the way to the UAE:

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/mubarak-reportedly-flies-emirates

@Adelly where did you hear that tomorrow has been made a Bank Holiday? Tuesday is Prophet's Birthday so that might be one I guess.

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by adelly:
According several sites hosni m in coma.

We have learned through foreign sources that Hosni Mubarak was flown this morning to a Baden hospital in Germany after falling into a coma. The report was confirmed this morning by Bahrain daily Al Wasat who indicated that just prior to leaving for his resort in Sharm-el-Sheikh, Mubarak became comatose.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/223932-Mubarak-in-Life-Death-State-in-Germany-Hospital

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

OK so he's in Germany AND in the UAE according to Al Masry Al Youm [Smile]

I wonder how he suddenly went into a coma if it's true?

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda (was Qadeema):

AJ said before he stood down that he was due to go to Germany for medical treatment......
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda (was Qadeema):

Roundabout the time they froze his Swiss account, I'd imagine.

Meh, I'm turning into a heartless old cynic.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

How they managed to get the whole thing going:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704132204576135882356532702.html?mod=wsj_share_facebook

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies in advance to Ferret, but it's a hard habbit to kick....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/13/defeated-mubarak-sharm-el-sheikh

They're still saying he's in Sharm. It's quite an interesting piece giving an insight on how things in Sharm really are now. TL, take note:

"The Cooke family, from Abbotsbury, Dorset, on their fifth holiday in Sharm, were relaxed about the protests hundreds of miles to the north. "If there were student riots in London, you wouldn't worry if you were in Cornwall, would you?" Maureen Cooke, 53, said. "They don't want any trouble here – they depend on tourism."In the Queen Vic pub, draped with Union flags, in Soho Square, Sharon and Paul Stone from Exeter were the only customers. The Egyptian protesters, Sharon said, had "got what they wanted, and good on 'em". The couple was delighted with their first holiday to Egypt and were planning to return with their children and grandchild within a couple of months.

"It's lovely, totally relaxed," said Paul, sipping a beer in the afternoon sun. "There are no Germans and no Russians. We've noticed a lot of police and guards on hotels, but we don't feel at all uneasy."

When I went to the airport on 2nd Feb, all the Mubarak posters remained intact on the drive in, which surprised me. It was quiet on the streets, the airport itself was busy, but I was surprised by the normality of it all once you checked in. It seemed very much business as normal, even then.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com