EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cairo post departure (about the revolution) (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Cairo post departure (about the revolution)
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
Get to know better about Tahrir square. [Cool]

wow, what a brill pic!

TL you need to have a click round that pic, look at the rubbish bins, see how these guys were organized better than anything else I have seen in Egypt and in less that 3 weeks!!

This country will be great and proud as it's guys like these that are it's FUTURE and it will be a great one!

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I found that a couple of days ago. Whoever said Egyptians can't organize, it just proves they CAN.
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:
Yes, I found that a couple of days ago.

Me too, I like the way they did it. And, yes, it shows very well how organized they were.
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by citizen:

Military still here
But there was no other choice. All opposition has been repressed so there is nobody to step into power. So far they have behaved honourably, the constitution had to be abolished, it was tailored to the dictator, the parliament had to be dissolved since elections were rigged. The whole regime was based on cheating, lies, suppression, self-interest.

There is a great feeling of hope sweeping the nation, so let's enjoy it while it lasts, no doubt disillusion will set in fairly soon and then we'll have to wait for real improvement to people's lives for people to bless this revolution.

I totally agree with you citizen, well said. I've said something similar on another thread where somebody was being very cynical.
Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I just got a billet doux from the Armed Forces:

المجلس الأعلى ق.م:نناشد المواطنين الشرفاء تضافر جهودهم لنصل معا بالوطن الى بر الأمان

which according to Google translate means:

Supreme Council of BC. m: appeal to the honorable citizens pool their efforts together to get the homeland to safety

Give 'em a chance chaps!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

المجلس الأعلى ق.م:نناشد المواطنين الشرفاء تضافر جهودهم لنصل معا بالوطن الى بر الأمان

Supreme Council of BC. m: appeal to the honorable citizens pool their efforts together to get the homeland to safety

Give 'em a chance chaps!

do you mean a billet deux mon ami? [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Non, mon ami, je mean un billet doux (a sweet letter)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/billet-doux

Or as we railway buffs used to call emails from Our Glorious Leader - a billydoo

Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

He's an amazing writer, not just analysis like the other pundits, but historical background, nitty gritty details from being in the thick of the action, conflicting emotions of the players and personal anecdotes... very readable like literature.

Again, totally agree citizen. Fisk is a great ans fair journalist/writer. He's also very familiar with the region, he's written a mamoth of a book on the middle east. I believe he lived there for many years (possibly still does), I think mainly in Lebanon.
Another good one is Frank Gardner of the BBC, the one who lost his leg in a blast in Saudi Arabia.

Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Non, mon ami, je mean un billet doux (a sweet letter)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/billet-doux

Or as we railway buffs used to call emails from Our Glorious Leader - a billydoo

ah oui, d'accord

Thought it was ticket #2 [Big Grin]

Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
quote:

Give 'em a chance chaps!

LOL, KM in arabic can mean BC, but in this context it means Kowwat Mossallaha, i.e. Armed Forces
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
Get to know better about Tahrir square. [Cool]

Great pic indeed!
Have you guys noticed how they called the toilet el-hezb el-waty, a variation on the words el-hezb el-watany which is the NDP
Lol

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also found it funny that the clinics were called mustashfa al thaura – revolution hospital. [Wink]

That's one of the things I really liked … that despite the seriousness of the situation Egyptians didn't lose their sense of humour.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amoun over the moon:
quote:

He's an amazing writer, not just analysis like the other pundits, but historical background, nitty gritty details from being in the thick of the action, conflicting emotions of the players and personal anecdotes... very readable like literature.

Again, totally agree citizen. Fisk is a great ans fair journalist/writer. He's also very familiar with the region, he's written a mamoth of a book on the middle east. I believe he lived there for many years (possibly still does), I think mainly in Lebanon.
Another good one is Frank Gardner of the BBC, the one who lost his leg in a blast in Saudi Arabia.

I have the book and got it signed by him when he gave a lecture at Saqiat El Sawy a couple of years ago. I told him to take care of himself. He's such a risk taker. LIves in Beirut speaks fluent Arabic.
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
I really like the way Robert Fisk writes. This was a good one:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-full-circle-on-tahrir-square-as-history-comes-in-gulps-2212531.html

Fisk appears to have largely dropped his "blame America and ignore the British empire" slant.

About time and it might actually earn him some accolades for his long career covering events that are often ignored.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
quote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-full-circle-on-tahrir-square-as-history-comes-in-gulps-2212531.html

Fisk appears to have largely dropped his "blame America and ignore the British empire" slant.

About time and it might actually earn him some accolades for his long career covering events that are often ignored.

Read his book, he blamed the British plenty
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Fisk does skimp on alot of historical information, obviously doesn't read Arab history written by Arabs.

Fisk has a a few books, and while readers reviews are great; think tanks and Arab intellectuals find fault with his texts. Basically Fisk books, region journalism coverage shores up the usual assumptions westerners developed of the Middle East via mainstream journalism.

Thomas Friedman is our American counterpart to Fisk. Whats frightening is Friedman is from Minneapolis and he sounds like a Jew with strong Zionist brainwashing. Fisk is missing Zionist commentary, but his observations certainly support many Zionist reactions.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Read his book, he blamed the British plenty
Which book?

His news coverage he mainly refers to historical sources documented by Brits and Europeans, his historical sources by Arabs are no-where to be seen.

I could repost a good 20 journalism articles quips in which he takes a very tired old anti-American slant.

citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Fisk does skimp on alot of historical information, obviously doesn't read Arab history written by Arabs.

Is it just me or did anyone else laugh? I mean considering the timing and the thread

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Saturday I bought a copy of The Scotsman newspaper as a souvenir of the event as these days we get all our news on line and I felt it was important to have a tangible piece of history for ever.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Ayisha: No. And yes.
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East

Most of the first chapter is conspiracy theories on the CIA and Osama bin-Laden.

This is the bibliography from chapters 2 and 3, showing this book is mainly a memoir with a "terrorism fantasy ideologue" slant.

CHAPTER 2

1. William Johnston, Tom Graham, V. C, A Tale ofthe Afghan War, London, Thomas Nelson & Sons, 1900.
2. Burnes, Cabool.
3. Afghanistan and Nepal, pp. 26-27.
4. Sykes, Durand, P. 96.
5. Ibid., P. 117, facsimile of the handwritten letter from Durand to Her Sykes, January 26, 1895. Durand included a poem he had composed on the death of a British trooper appropriate Victorian verse: "Oh, we have found, with his young face / looking skyward ruthless Afghan ... Lying there in the middle, in the plain / where men charged in vain, / fighting at all and before all dead / sewn for many deadly blows. "
6. Ibid., P. 207.
7. Ibid., 216-217.
8. Simon Winchester, "Russia's back door £ 350 Million ', The Guardian, May 8, 1978.
9. Griffiths, Afghanistan, p. 174.
10. See Centlivre-Demont Micheline, Popular Art in Afghanistan: Paintings on Trucks, Mosques and Tea-Houses, Graz (Austria), Akademische Druck-u. Sanstalt-Verlag, 1976.
11. Statement by Minister of Foreign Affairs, Tehran, December 30, 1979.
12. Interview with author, Tehran, July 9, 1980.
13. The Times, January 22, 1980.
14. Mills, Pathan Revolts, pp. 108-109.

CHAPTER 3

1. See Winston Churchill, My Early Life: A Roving Commission, London, Thornton Butterworth, 1930, p. 156.
2. See, for example, Literatumaia Gazeta, February 20, 1980, p. 9.
3. I wrote exactly the same in my story to the newspaper, as if that fact deserves to be recorded just extraordinary. See The Times, February 18, 1980.
4. Griffiths, Afghanistan, pp. 182-183.
5. Anthony Hyman, "Arab Involvement in the Afghan War," in The Beirut Re-view: AJournal on Lebanon and the middleeast, 7, Spring 1994, p. 78.
6. Ibid., P. 79.
7. Douglas-Home Letter to author, March 26, 1980.

Noam Chomsky has a had a field day on this guy.

If Robert Fisk actually spoke Arabic, and read Arabic he'd be citing actual Arabic texts, not just his previous work and historical British national edicts on the region.

Robert Fisk's books are mainly a way he can produce income to retire on, a re-hashment of his flawed journalism career.

Basically he's a guy who has had his boots on ME soil yet still thinks like John Espito and Thomas Friedman.

Here's chapter 4 and 5 bibliography:

CHAPTER 4

1. Roosevelt, Countercoup, p.18.
2. Woodhouse, Somelhing Ventures, p.45.
3. Bill, The Eagle and the Lion, pp. 69-70, citing L.P. Elwell-Sutton, Persian OH: A Study in PowerPolitics (London: Lawrence and Wishart, 1955), p.195.
4. Bill, p. 69.
5. Ibid., P. 96.
6. Woodhouse, p. 132.
7. Halliday, have, p.87.
8. Kapuscinski, Shah ofshahs, pp. 36-37.
9. Rapport de synthese faisant suite at the premiere series of visiting delegates des du Comité International de la Croix Rouge to 3.087 détenus de sécurité dans Prisons Ira-Nienna 18, 1977.
10. See Frank Giles, "Why Iran Feels it Needs No advice frpm the West on human rights", Sunday Times, April 16, 1978.
11. See Edward Mortimer, "Iran: The Greatest Revolution Since 1917," Spec-Tator, February 17, 1979.
12. Shawcross, Shah'sLastRide, p. 218.
13. The longer report in English that exists in Tehran on the initial appearance in court of Hoveyda appeared on the international edition of Kay-han, 17 March 1979.
14. Author's letter to Ivan Barnes, March 30, 1979.
15. Shawcross, p. 317.
16. These and subsequent quotations are taken from the 85 volumes of documents rebuilt U.S. Embassy, published in Tehran between 1979 and 1985. You can find a summary of the involvement of In-tezam and Bazargan on Bill, pp. 290-3.
17. Ebtekar, Takeover, p. 98.
18. The Last Message: The Political and Divine Will Khomei ofHis Holiness Imam-ni (Tehran: The Imam Khomeini Cultural Institute, 1992). Khomeini wrote his will on February 15, 1983, six years before his death.
19. Ebtekar, p. 110.

CHAPTER 5

1. Letter to the author of Charles Dickens's daughter, Hilda Maddock, October 28, 2003.
2. Attiyah, Iraq, p. 108, quoting Sir Percy Cox in a letter to the Viceroy of India on November 23, 1914. I am indebted for this and other subsequent details about the British occupation of Iraq with the magnificent work of Ghassan Attiyah research in both British and Iraqi files at the time. This is a volume that should read all the "statesmen" planning to invade Western Arab countries.
3. Attiyah, The Middle Euphrates: A Topograpkkal Itinerary, New York, American Geographical Society, 1927, pp. 95-96, citing Alois Musil.
4. The Sphere, London, May 15, 1915.
5. Attiyah, The Middle Euphrates: A Topographical Itinerary, New York, 1927, p. 104, citing National Archives (NA), F0371/2775/187454.
6. Ibid., P. 105, quoted the BH CAB 21/60.
7. Ibid., P. 130, citing a memorandum by the British Admiralty, ^ March 1915.
8. Ibid., P. 130n, quoting Herbert Henry Asquith, Loyalties, andre-flections Memories, 1852-1927, vol. II, London, 1928, p. 69.
9. Ibid. p. 165, citing AN FO371/3387/142404 (Cox).
10. Ibid. p. 168, citing AN f0371/4148/13298.
11. Ibid. p. 166, citing aE. Burgogne, Gertrude Bell, from Her Personal Papen, 1914-1926, London, 1961, pp. 78-79.
12. Hansa House of Commons, vol. 127, et al. 662-664, 25 March 1920.
13. Attiyah, p. 203.
14. Ibid., P. 211, citing AN FO371/5227/E6509.
15. Ibid., P. 230.
16. Ibid., P. 249, citing a document from the Iraqi Interior Ministry, Nasiriyah, April and May 1919.
17. John Darwin, Britain, Egypt and the Middle East: Imperial Policy in the After-math of War, 1918-1922, New York, St Matin's Press, 1981, quoted in Fromkin, A Peace to End All Peace, p. 453.
18. Attiyah, p. 343.
19. Ibid., P. 362.
20. Quoted in Fromkin, p. 452.
21. The Letters OFT. E. Larvrence, David Garnett (ed.), London, Jonathan
Cape, 1938, p. 316, quoted in Fromkin, p. 497.
22. T. E. Laurence [sic], Saudi memorandum for the Reconstruction of East War Cabinet, November 5, 1918, NA CAB 27/36.
23. Clive Semple, ms. Unpublished "Eight Graves to Cairo: Calamity and Cover-up", 2004, p. 4.
24. Letter from Churchill to Trenchard, 29 August 1920. Winston S. Churchill Companion Volume 1917-1922 TV Martin Gilbert, London, Heinemann, 1977, p. 1190.
25. Dudley Saward, 'Bomber'Harris: The AuthorisedBiography, London, Cassell, 1984, p. 31.
26. The Observer, August 8, 1920.
27. Peter Metcalfe letter to author, June 22, 2004.
28. Garnett, Letters to T. E. Lawrence, op. cit, pp. 306-308, letter to The Times, July 22, 1920.
29. The Sunday Times, August 22, 1920.
30. David Omissi 'RAF Officer Who Resigned Rather Than bomb Iraq ", The Observer, February 10, 1991.
31. Quoted in Warner, p. 113.
32. Warner, Iraq and Syria, p. 117.
33. Popovic, ofAfrican Slaves Revolt, p. 124.
34. Poor translation of the news conference by Saddam in Baghdad July 20-21, 1980, contained in The Baghdad Observer, 23 and 24 July 1980, but without comments on the expulsions.
35. Simon Sebag Montefiore, "A disciple of Stalin in the dock ', The International Herald Tribune, July 3, 2004.
36. Cited by David Hirst in "The megalomaniac pitted Against the zealot", The Guardian, September 24, 1980.
37. Marion Woolfson, "Iraq Drive to Eradicate illiteracy" 8 Days, 1 March 1980.
38. Sean Cryan, "Land of the Leftist sheikhs", The Sunday Press, Dublin, March 27, 1977.
38. Author's message to Barnes, May 7, 1980.
40. Hansard, House of Lords, 14 December 1989, et al. 1397-1398.
41. Richard Norton-Taylor, "Sell Arms to Iraq - But keep it quiet: The Scott inquiry Exposing a system is corrupted by secrecy ', The Guardian, September 13, 1993. Memorandum cited in this article.
42. Chronicle Norton-Taylor in The Guardian, March 13, 1993.
43. Daphne Parish, Prisonerin Baghdad, London, Chapmans, 1992, pp. 124-131.
44. Letter from Dr. Abdul Amir al Anbir, Iraqi ambassador in London, February 21, 1986, Pat Davis, deputy editor of The Times.
45. Alloway message from Tehran sent to Barnes, 7 August 1980.
46. Author interview with Anis Naccache, Tehran, October 22, 1991.
47. Abul Fazl Ezzati, The Revolutionary Islam and the Islamic Revolution, Tehran, Ministry of Islamic Guidance, 1981, p. 195.
48. The full text of Khomeini's message can be found in the English language version of The Tehran Times, April 8, 1982.
49. Colin Smith, 'Bahai Women Die for Their Faith ", The Observer, June 26, 1983.
50. Colin Smith, "Inside Khomeini's slaughterhouse", The Observer, May 6, 1984.
51. Iran Monitor (English translations of news from the radio and the press Iran Persian) 4julio 1980. The local correspondent of The Times, Tony Alloway, made this valuable summary of the revolutionary activities for more than a year after the overthrow of the Shah.
52. Unitt Amnesty International's statement on human rights in Iran toPolitical Af-fairs Committee of the European Parliament, November 28, 1985.
53. The brochure in English was given by officials of the Ministry of Islamic Guidance in 1979 under the title The People and the Revolutionary Courts. The author has a copy.
54. Khomeini, Last Message.
55. Human Rights Watch, Tears, Blood and Cries: Human Rights in Afghanistan 1979-1984, Helsinki Report, December 1984, pp. 5, 9 and 35.
56. This statement, Yazdi's comments and the declaration of the United States on Saddam's intentions are from Vols. 10 and 12 of the documentation from the U.S. embassy in Tehran issued.
57. Interview with Frank Giles, The Sunday Times, April 16, 1978.
58. The Iraqi-Iranian Dispute: Facts versus Allegations, Baghdad, Iraqi Foreign Affairs Ministry, 1981.
59. You can find an unconvincing explanation of the decision by Iraq in a speech before the General Assembly of the United Nations Prime Minister Tariq Aziz of September 25, 1987.
60. Interview with Fatima Daud Muffak, Baghdad, July 30, 2004.

All of which can be found in government records in London, no need to spend any substantial amount of time in ME, nor actually speak with any Arab intellectuals. All cited sources are in English.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have the book and got it signed by him when he gave a lecture at Saqiat El Sawy a couple of years ago. I told him to take care of himself. He's such a risk taker. LIves in Beirut speaks fluent Arabic.
Thanks nice, if he speaks fluent Arabic, why doesn't he cite Arab sources instead of purely English sources?

Mind you luckily for me, that book you listed was the only book of his I could find that has a bibliography. Most of his books don't have any sources.

He's a crackpot, like all the others.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Actually I had forgotten this:

The term fisking is blogosphere slang describing a point-by-point criticism that highlights perceived errors, or disputes the analysis in a statement, article, or essay.[1]

Eric S. Raymond, in the Jargon File, defined the term as:

A point-by-point refutation of a blog entry or (especially) news story. A really stylish fisking is witty, logical, sarcastic and ruthlessly factual; flaming or handwaving is considered poor form.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisking

this has been discussed before:

Fisk is as creative and genuine as a Chinese Iphone. Usually “glorified” journalists become more reputable with age. This dude is obviously not holding true to that pattern. It's not that I don't like Fisk, I do, but it seems like he mailed this one in. Perhaps he should stick to his specialty, Lebanon, because this piece echoes laymen of Cairo, you know the ones who proclaim Egypt as the richest nation on earth, failing to realize that Egypt doesn't even have a national car. I'm alluding to Fisk's claim that Algeria is just as rich as Saudia Arabia. Algeria has less than 3 billion oil barrels in reserve, Saudia Arabia has nearly 300 billion. As for natural gas reserves Saudia Arabia has almost double the reserves of Algeria. There's no comparison, as for the rest of his piece, well Hosni Mubarak told us all about “benevolent dictators” several weeks ago, perhaps Fisk should get his feet on the ground because if his info is also from Wiki-Leaks then he's nothing more than a parrot.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=11;t=005264

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vwwvv:
quote:
Originally posted by tigerlily_misr:
Truth is without him you would have had way more Islamist extremist attacks on the soil which would have hurt the economy and its citizens and you on the other hand would have deserted Egypt long time ago.

It is well to remember how Hosni Mubarak came to power: He was vice president when the moderate Anwar Sadat was murdered by Islamic extremists for making peace with Israel.
Hm, I've read history books too. I think everybody knows that.

Without a doubt this was a very traumatic event for him and the whole country and that's why he was such a hardliner and created the Emergency Law for such misfits.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
So what? That's just politics. There are close ties between Cairo and Stuttgart; the university of Stuttgart is one of the two patron universities of the German university in Cairo.

Politics? Just brush it off as usual what doesn't fit into your little box of own opinions.

Truth is Germany honored the 'tyrant's wife' for her dedicated work for women and children.

quote:
Do you think that the average German citizen has such a favourable opinion of Suzanne Mubarak, or why did you bring this up at all? I don't really see the point.

The 'average' German has no interest in Egyptian politics, dear Dalia. The typical German comes as a tourist and leaves again after one or two weeks of spending a good time on the beaches.

quote:

quote:

I am wondering why you would live in a country where another Saddam Hussein (that's with who you basically compare Mubarak to, isn't that so)

Of course like the rest of the ladies here you have to jump on the bandwagon and have to denounce Mubarak as a 'tyrant'.

Sorry, but this is getting ridiculous. It would be nice if you could stop making things up, drop the aggressive attitude and the ad hominem attacks and have a respectful exchange of thoughts and opinions instead. I don't understand all the bitching and the overly negative attitude.
This 'tyrant' as you call him let you live good in his country. You lived good in Egypt BECAUSE of Mubarak. Without Mubarak there wouldn't be any GUC. He gave you a job at the GUC, a job which could have been easily given to an Egyptian with the same qualifications. See it like that - you took a qualified Egyptian the job away. And yet you still complain about Mubarak.

quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
Yes a change of mentality comes with hope for the future, no one is saying that a change of mentality is not needed, they have had 30 years of this and I'm sure it took East Germans a bit of time to realize they were free to change too.

And we are still waiting for an answer to the question why it was ok for the East Germans to fight for democracy and freedom, but not for the Egyptians. Seems a bit hypocritical to me that one is acceptable, but the other is not. [/QB][/QUOTE]

You have no idea about East Germans. My bet is you never traveled to the former East part of the country neither you had a more deeper conversation with the people from there.

We didn't have what you would consider 'bad' in East Germany. We didn't starve (we always had enough different food and were able to afford meat any time of the day etc. unless many Egyptians), we had a great educational system, very qualified workers next to academics, affordable housing for everyone and believe it or not - but we had fun too. The problem was speaking against the government would threw people in jail and traveling wasn't easy for us. Some similarities to Egypt there you see.

BUT - we didn't start the revolution. East Germany was not the first country to revolt against its regime. It started in other countries of the Eastern Bloc. Sooner or later the whole communist system in this area came crashing down.

My mom went on vacation to Budapest in summer of 1989 to meet my West-German grandma and grandma asked if daughter wants to come back with her to West Germany. My mom only said "Not without my daughter (me)".

It took 11 months to unite Germany after the wall came down. It was an extreme change for the East Germans and quite a few years of uncertainty and fears, too many people lost their jobs. But we were not alone because of West Germany which invested a lot in our area. Unfortunately some West Germans did not understand the process and why they should help with paying to build up the former East part.

Egypt doesn't have this kind of 'helper'. Furthermore the whole region which includes Egypt is known for Islamist extremist attacks. With Egypt's downfall the Gaza issue and the relations with Israel are in question.

Also the unrest in forms of strikes continues even after the president is ousted. At one point Egyptians need to quiet it down and see the real situation for what it is. There is no quick fix and everyone can live happily ever after. Their economy just twirled right down the gutter after #Jan25. They will have to work for a better future and show patience. One step at a time.

Speaking about Egypt - why striving for freedom when it means you can't put anymore food on the table? Freedom won't fill your hungry stomach.

Under Mubarak Egypt had stability. Now this stability which came with a thrieving economy is gone, gone, gone...

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:

this country IS a RICH country

Not rich enough for 80 million people; in around 10 or 15 years it will be approximately 90 million Egyptians.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I believe this country could generate enough solar power for the whole planet given it's extensive desert area under almost permanent sunshine. (And of course, that requires investment.)

Also, a friend's Egyptian husband many years ago identified a strain of wheat that would grow in more arrid/desert regions but because of government corruption, it never became available. Maybe now, it can be.

Egyptians produce good scientific research in their PhDs and ongoing studies, but it sits dusty on shelves. Because of the corruption, their ideas were not taken and exploited.

One of my Egyptian friends, her niece and husband invested their life savings in a lovely cafe/restaurant up in the Delta, but because of the corruption of the Governor of the area demanding bribes way over and above the legitimate licencing fees, they were forced to close within a month.

This country is RICH in the resources of solar energy, creativity and ingenuity and hardwork.

Egyptians are hard workers - despite their reputation to the contrary - many of the Egyptian men I see around me work long hard days and then go to classes in the evening to try to improve themselves with English lessons or 'Soft skills' lessons. Cairene women hold down management and professional posts, are sometimes the main earner in the home, and juggle homecare responsibilities. (I think they are in a sort of 'Shirley Conran Super Woman' phase which we went through in the 70s and 80s in the UK).

Egyptians just need the opportunity and encouragement to flourish in a much less corrupt environment.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
tigerweed:

The assassination squad was led by Lieutenant Khalid Islambouli after a fatwā approving the assassination had been obtained from Omar Abdel-Rahman. Islambouli was tried, found guilty, sentenced to death, and executed in April 1982.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Anwar_El_Sadat#Assassination

It was an inside job. Done by the military and could have been prevented.

I believe there is actual photos of the assisination in Haykal, Muhammad Hasanayn (1982). Autumn of Fury: The Assassination of Sadat. Wm Collins & Sons & Co. ISBN 0394531361.

I've read the book and there's plenty of proof to show several different groups within the military were planning an assisination. The guys who actually did it just managed to organize it first.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
I believe this country could generate enough solar power for the whole planet given it's extensive desert area under almost permanent sunshine. (And of course, that requires investment.)

And it started:

Kuraymat, 100 miles south of Cairo, costs: €250 million http://www.energyboom.com/solar/going-solar-egypts-first-solar-thermal-plant-under-construction

Kom Ombo, near the Aswan High Dam, costs $700 million
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jul/12/egypt-solar-power

quote:
Also, a friend's Egyptian husband many years ago identified a strain of wheat that would grow in more arrid/desert regions but because of government corruption, it never became available. Maybe now, it can be.

Honestly I did not hear about it before.

But I do know that the Egyptian government carried out various projects to cultivate deserts.

Green Desert Egypt ( Video )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_dWdqz50tk

"... The government is keen to encourage people to move to the desert by pressing ahead with an estimated $70 billion plan to reclaim 3.4 million acres of desert over the next 10 years. Among the incentives are cheap desert land to college graduates.With only five percent of the country habitable, almost all of Egypt’s 74 million people live along the Nile River and the Mediterranean Sea.... Cairo’s crowded living conditions will likely get worse as Egypt’s population is expected to double by 2050... "

http://environmentdebate.wordpress.com/2008/03/27/controversy-over-greening-of-egyptian-desert/

What a prognosis for the future population!!! [Eek!]

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:

But I do know that the Egyptian government carried out various projects to cultivate desert areas.

"The government is keen to encourage people to move to the desert by pressing ahead with an estimated $70 billion plan to reclaim 3.4 million acres of desert over the next 10 years. Among the incentives are cheap desert land to college graduates.With only five percent of the country habitable, almost all of Egypt’s 74 million people live along the Nile River and the Mediterranean Sea. Cairo’s crowded living conditions will likely get worse as Egypt’s population is expected to double by 2050. "

http://environmentdebate.wordpress.com/2008/03/27/controversy-over-greening-of-egyptian-desert/

What a prognosis for the future population!!! [Eek!]

And the same type of projects have been done in KSA and other Gulf Arab nations. those nations have billions of spare dollars, yet de-salinization requires billions dollars more per year.

I am sure most of Europe had a very dark and deary outlook for Germany in 1946, yet Germany managed to rise above those expectations.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CBS reporter Lara Logan assaulted in Egypt: CBS News

(Reuters) - "CBS correspondent Lara Logan was beaten and sexually assaulted by a mob while covering the jubilation in Cairo's Tahrir Square on the day Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak stepped down, the U.S. broadcasting network said Tuesday.

Logan, a 39-year-old South Africa native and longtime war correspondent, has since flown back to the United States and is recovering in hospital. She was one of dozens of journalists attacked during the three weeks of protests throughout Egypt..."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/15/us-egypt-journalists-idUSTRE71E76I20110215

Poor woman. And there is no end in sight for journalists as more countries in the region currently experience major protests against their own governments.

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some really bizarre posts on this thread! Sounds like they could have been written by a Pro Mubarak Supporter who now sees their entire entire financial future ruined now that corruption is being reined in. Justify corruption and illegal detention and torturing and murdering people any way you can. Sickening really.
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Some really bizarre posts on this thread! Sounds like they could have been written by a Pro Mubarak Supporter who now sees their entire entire financial future ruined now that corruption is being reined in. Justify corruption and illegal detention and torturing and murdering people any way you can. Sickening really.

Thanks Laura....my feelings exactly
Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Pro Mubarak Supporter

Is this the new curse word here on ES? So anyone who shares not your opinion is getting this label from you???

So much about freedom of speech, Laura.

Hypocrite.

Let me pass you the bucket.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Pink cherry:
quote:

Thanks Laura....my feelings exactly
yep, mine too. and what sono's super spam of Robert Fisk books has to do with anything I don't know!

A meeting was held last night in Luxor with business owners, tour guides, etc. An event is planned for Feb 26th in which CNN BBCW and many more I can't remember (still tired)from all over the world will be filming as an event for 'Egypt Moving Forward', sponsors from hotels and businesses here in Luxor.

These guys are enthusiastic about the future and a new free Egypt and are putting in the time and effort, and many their money, to promote Egypt to the world again.

When I know more I will post it but please join and show support.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_145936622134919&ap=1

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
People need to stop talking about Mubarak. He's gone, he's not coming back. After all it wasn't him alone to rule this country.

It's time to look forward, organize elections, stop the protests and bring the economy back on its feet.

But I do sense that even in 50 years when things don't go right in Egypt people will still blame Mubarak for everything. Oh boy.... he's doooooooomed. [Eek!] He won't go to paradise. [Roll Eyes]

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I agree. In fact, I think it would be more palatable if their income did rely on it, but when they support the above on the basis that it's nice and comfy for them when they come on holiday, it just stinks.

TL, are you sure you are German? Are you sure you aren't English, from around the colonial period? You still didn't answer the question. You explained how the Berlin wall fell but still not why exactly you feel that as a German you are entitled to the rights you're so happy to deny the Egytians.

And what does the attack on the CBS news reporter have to do with anything? Is that supposed to be a valid argument that Egyptians in general don't deserve basic human rights? You think the whole country, including the women and soldiers who saved the reporter, should be punished for it?

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
Pro Mubarak Supporter

Is this the new curse word here on ES? So anyone who shares not your opinion is getting this label from you???

Hypocrite.

Your freedom of speech is not halted and nor is anyone elses who may disagree. No one is saying you cant think the way you are, or say it, they are just disagreeing with it and having their opinion too.

You have every right to say whatever you want and others have every right to either agree or disagree with it. That is not hypocritical, that is freedom of speech.

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Pro Mubarak Supporter

Hypocrite.

Hey, "if the shoe fits"...and from all you have posted it does..let me throw it at you! Ah! That felt good!

Seriously!

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As posted on a FB group,Mubarak went into coma when he realized most of his $70 billion assets were frozen.

...and not because of any illness.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
TL, why don't you start a whip round? Maybe you can revive him.
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
As posted on a FB group,Mubarak went into coma when he realized most of his $70 billion assets were frozen.

...and not because of any illness.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, of that money ever returns to Egypt. Also the other funds stolen by his family members and cronies.
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Politics? Just brush it off as usual what doesn't fit into your little box of own opinions.

Of course it's politics. Or are you suggesting the German people care so much about Suzanne Mubarak that they are interested in officially honouring her? Is the fact that she was honoured by some insitution an indicator of the fact that the German people supposedly love and respect her and her husband?

Of course not. And actually, you are confirming this yourself with the following statement:
quote:

The 'average' German has no interest in Egyptian politics, dear Dalia.

Exactly. So you are confirming my statement that the average German has no interest in Suzanne Mubarak. Why did you bring her up in the first place then?

quote:

This 'tyrant' as you call him

I already said it earlier – I have not called him a tyrant anywhere. Stop lying.

quote:

He gave you a job at the GUC, a job which could have been easily given to an Egyptian with the same qualifications. See it like that - you took a qualified Egyptian the job away.

You are making things up about people as you go along just so you can find a reason to nag and attack.

Where and what I work is none of your business. But FYI – there are no Egyptians with the same qualification who would be able to do exactly what I do. So your assumption that I took an Egyptian's job away is wrong.

quote:

And yet you still complain about Mubarak.

I dare you to find a post of mine where I've "complained about Mubarak". And while you're at it, please also dig out the ones where I've called him a tyrant. If you can't find any, kindly stick to what has actually been said. Thank you.

quote:

I saw this lady on Tahrir on Friday. Didn't know she was British.

It is terrible that she was attacked. But in general many women reported that there has been a surprising absence of sexual harassment during the demonstrations, and I can only confirm this. I spent hours on Tahrir on Thursday and Friday, even got stuck in the crowd badly at some point, but I didn't get harassed even once. Thought that was quite remarkable.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I agree as well. I'm fed up with Tigerlilly's overly agressive posts stating her personal opinion as if it was representative of an entire nation... then attacking anyone who doesn't agree with her views.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

Of course it's politics. Or are you suggesting the German people care so much about Suzanne Mubarak that they are interested in officially honouring her? Is the fact that she was honoured by some insitution an indicator of the fact that the German people supposedly love and respect her and her husband?

Of course not. And actually, you are confirming this yourself with the following statement:
quote:

The 'average' German has no interest in Egyptian politics, dear Dalia.

Exactly. So you are confirming my statement that the average German has no interest in Suzanne Mubarak. Why did you bring her up in the first place then?

quote:

This 'tyrant' as you call him

I already said it earlier – I have not called him a tyrant anywhere. Stop lying.

quote:

He gave you a job at the GUC, a job which could have been easily given to an Egyptian with the same qualifications. See it like that - you took a qualified Egyptian the job away.

You are making things up about people as you go along just so you can find a reason to nag and attack.

Where and what I work is none of your business. But FYI – there are no Egyptians with the same qualification who would be able to do exactly what I do. So your assumption that I took an Egyptian's job away is wrong.

quote:

And yet you still complain about Mubarak.

I dare you to find a post of mine where I've "complained about Mubarak". And while you're at it, please also dig out the ones where I've called him a tyrant. If you can't find any, kindly stick to what has actually been said. Thank you.

quote:

I saw this lady on Tahrir on Friday. Didn't know she was British.

It is terrible that she was attacked. But in general many women reported that there has been a surprising absence of sexual harassment during the demonstrations, and I can only confirm this. I spent hours on Tahrir on Thursday and Friday, even got stuck in the crowd badly at some point, but I didn't get harassed even once. Thought that was quite remarkable.

CBS is American I think.

I can also confirm an absence of sexual harassment here in Luxor, in fact everyone I have encountered has been wonderful, friendly and helpful.

Laura
Member # 879

I wonder why CBS is now reporting something as awful as this, what..4 -5 days later?

@Ayisha - yes it'a an american tv station.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

CBS is American I think.

Ooops, my bad. Yes, it is.
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
TL, why don't you start a whip round? Maybe you can revive him.

ROFL [Big Grin]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
And another ruddy thing... This business with St Suzanne... You know, it's very commendable that she got FGM banned, but how come it took her nigh on two decades to realise she gave a rat's a$$?
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com