EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Security: legitimate concerns

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Security: legitimate concerns
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the past few weeks, Egypt has seen the emergence of a new security and economic situation, starting on the night of 28 January when the country's police withdrew from their posts. Nearly 90 per cent of police stations were burned down, and 27,000 prisoners escaped. Thousands of guns, including automatic rifles, were stolen and subsequently used in robberies and looting.

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2011/1035/fr1.htm

Lots of great nuggets of undigested information in this article, but this I found really didn't seem to concern many.

This I found funny:

"Speaking at a news conference on Sunday, Prime Minister Ahmed Shafik said that "the closure of roads and the irregular functioning of the railways are not conducive to regular life." The country had lost considerable amounts of agricultural land over the last two weeks, due to encroachment by illegal construction, he said."

ha! this has been going on for quite some time, and usually these lands are taken over by the military and then resold as residential or commercial developments. Odd statement from a guy who will eventually benefit from the situation and hadn't complained about it until now.

I know the interium government isn't perfect its the same bad boys who were there before and they operate on misinformation.

I still wonder if indeed 90% of Cairo's police stations are burned down. And how quickly those 27,000 prisoners can be rounded up.

But I doubt the story too because they insisted during the protests that no prisoners had escaped.

Serious do the police have a PR office in which they make sure contradictory information doesn't leech out?

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
Over the past few weeks, Egypt has seen the emergence of a new security and economic situation, starting on the night of 28 January when the country's police withdrew from their posts. Nearly 90 per cent of police stations were burned down, and 27,000 prisoners escaped. Thousands of guns, including automatic rifles, were stolen and subsequently used in robberies and looting.

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2011/1035/fr1.htm

Lots of great nuggets of undigested information in this article, but this I found really didn't seem to concern many.

This I found funny:

"Speaking at a news conference on Sunday, Prime Minister Ahmed Shafik said that "the closure of roads and the irregular functioning of the railways are not conducive to regular life." The country had lost considerable amounts of agricultural land over the last two weeks, due to encroachment by illegal construction, he said."

ha! this has been going on for quite some time, and usually these lands are taken over by the military and then resold as residential or commercial developments. Odd statement from a guy who will eventually benefit from the situation and hadn't complained about it until now.

I know the interium government isn't perfect its the same bad boys who were there before and they operate on misinformation.

I still wonder if indeed 90% of Cairo's police stations are burned down. And how quickly those 27,000 prisoners can be rounded up.

But I doubt the story too because they insisted during the protests that no prisoners had escaped.

Serious do the police have a PR office in which they make sure contradictory information doesn't leech out? [/QB]

No prisoners did escape, they were let out, released by the police that had vanished off the streets. No way does an entire country's prisoners 'escape' all on the same night at the same time. I thought everyone knew that, seems they are still trying to deny what we all know. Prisoners were let out but the police did the violence while they were plain clothed, the smokescreen was the prisoner 'escapes'.
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
No prisoners did escape, they were let out, released by the police that had vanished off the streets. No way does an entire country's prisoners 'escape' all on the same night at the same time. I thought everyone knew that, seems they are still trying to deny what we all know. Prisoners were let out but the police did the violence while they were plain clothed, the smokescreen was the prisoner 'escapes'.

I agree with you, but that isn't how the journalist worded it.

Yet what is being done to locate and apprehend those 27,000 prisoners?

And is the 90% of police stations across Cairo "burned down" an accurate account of what happened? If it is what is being done about it?

I hear all this and that about ministers and businessmen being put up for corruption charges but what about the police?

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
many of those prisoners were political prisoners sono, not all prisoners are rapists and murderers and looters as was put about by the govt and police. I read somewhere, or saw it on tv, about one of them explaining what had happened on that day. Most just went straight to their families, not on the streets, the police took that roll.

I doubt very much if 90% of police stations were burnt down in Cairo too. We heard things here in Luxor about some hotels being burnt down, governors home burnt down, police stations burnt down, supermarkets etc etc, none of which was true but the FCO put Luxor on the at risk list due to that.

Those police that did take part will be charged, they are doing top to bottom, and police are bottom end compared to ministers and govt officials. It's been barely 10 days and a hell of a lot has been and is being done here. It's a lot of work and can't be sorted in a few days, this will go on for a while and more and more is being done every day.

The police on the streets have a different attitude now, more like what police are supposed to be. There is a different 'air' altogether, certainly here in Luxor anyway, among all people. Can't quite put it into words, but it's a great feeling.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
many of those prisoners were political prisoners sono, not all prisoners are rapists and murderers and looters as was put about by the govt and police. I read somewhere, or saw it on tv, about one of them explaining what had happened on that day. Most just went straight to their families, not on the streets, the police took that roll.

I doubt very much if 90% of police stations were burnt down in Cairo too. We heard things here in Luxor about some hotels being burnt down, governors home burnt down, police stations burnt down, supermarkets etc etc, none of which was true but the FCO put Luxor on the at risk list due to that.

Those police that did take part will be charged, they are doing top to bottom, and police are bottom end compared to ministers and govt officials. It's been barely 10 days and a hell of a lot has been and is being done here. It's a lot of work and can't be sorted in a few days, this will go on for a while and more and more is being done every day.

The police on the streets have a different attitude now, more like what police are supposed to be. There is a different 'air' altogether, certainly here in Luxor anyway, among all people. Can't quite put it into words, but it's a great feeling.

Replying the bold, if that was the case if they are political prisoners then a different prison would have been emptied.

And I would think the "democracy" organizers would have made more noise, more publicity over the release of political prisoners. by the sound of it more people were nabbed for political reasons and some have yet to be released.

Plus I'd like to know whether all these lootings, mall burnings will be prosecuted and get a credible conviction. Most of those crimes sound like something the police would do in Cairo and Alex.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Ex-police set fire to interior ministry building

Egyptian men help firefighters extinguish a fire at an administration building adjacent to the interior ministry set by former Egyptian police officers protesting outside the ministry in downtown Cairo on February 23, 2011. (AFP PHOTO/STR)

By Agencies and Daily News Egypt February 23, 2011, 11:20 pm

CAIRO: Former low-ranking policemen protesting outside the interior ministry in Cairo on Wednesday set fire to an adjacent administration building, a security official told AFP.

The policemen — demanding reinstatement into the police force — hurled firebombs at the smaller building, which is also used by the ministry, in central Cairo. Several cars outside were also set alight.

According to the official news agency MENA, the building is used to store criminal evidence.

Another official said army soldiers fired in the air in an attempt to disperse the crowd, but failed.

Soldiers who remain deployed in the heart of the capital in the wake of the 18-day uprising against president Hosni Mubarak put the fire out, and there were no reported casualties, an official said.

Reports of human casualties were denied by security officials on the scene.

About 50 protesting policemen, believed to be involved in starting the fire, were arrested by the army and were seen in security trucks as firemen put out the fire. –Agencies and Daily News Egypt.

http://www.thedailynewsegypt.com/crime-a-accidents/ex-police-set-fire-to-interior-ministry-building.html

This explains so much of the behavior of the police over the last month.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com