EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Working as a foreign guide in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Working as a foreign guide in Egypt
blueeye
Member # 18584

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueeye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone! I must ask a question about an information i heard recently that from now, according to new law concerning egyption tourism, there wont be allowed to foreigner to work in tourism in Egypt as long as there is one Egyptian speaking the same language, sitting without a job. Is that s true? So, (I am polish), i wont be able to work as a tour leader (guide) for polish guests, but there will be only egyptian citizens working as guides? I hope someone heard something about this, hope for the answer soon.
Posts: 4 | From: hurghada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never met or even heard of any Egyptian that can speak the Polish language..even if he exists he must be in Luxor I presume.
So you can be sitting pretty in Hurghada as long as he don't show up.
BTW..what is there to show tourists in Hurghada ?? I mean like monuments and stuff like that ?? I doubt if they need any guidance of any sort, with mostly diving and beach life going on, all they'll need to have is someone to point out where the changing rooms are or maybe if the air regulator's not working or they'd need an extra towel. [Confused]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueeye
Member # 18584

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueeye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
I've never met or even heard of any Egyptian that can speak the Polish language..even if he exists he must be in Luxor I presume.
So you can be sitting pretty in Hurghada as long as he don't show up.
BTW..what is there to show tourists in Hurghada ?? I mean like monuments and stuff like that ?? I doubt if they need any guidance of any sort, with mostly diving and beach life going on, all they'll need to have is someone to point out where the changing rooms are or maybe if the air regulator's not working or they'd need an extra towel. [Confused]

Hi! I did not say at all that someone would need a guide for Hurghada. I've been working for years excursions to Cairo, Luxor and Safari. I am interested if someone (i hope egyptian) can confirm this what i heard. And yes, there are lot of my egyptian colleagues speaking polish. Last season no russian guide could make trip to luxor or cairo, only egyptian, i suppose egypt is trying to save it's employees in tourism by not giving their jobs to foreigners any more.
Posts: 4 | From: hurghada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to be Egyptian to be a tour guide, but you don't to be a tour leader. Guides have always had to be Egyptian to get registered as guides.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a lot of people do is hire a silent guide. This is a registered Egyptian tour guide who accompanies the group, then the foreigner can guide the group with no problems. The cost of such a guide is minimal and it does give them much needed work.

Rules regarding foreigners not being able to work if there is a native with the same skills are fairly common. The UK has them

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueeye
Member # 18584

Rate Member
Thank you for your answers. I've always had a silent guide with me during excursions, but what i am discussing here is that from now foreigners wont be able to work as tour guides if there are Egyptians able to do that. Also hotels will be forbidden to hire foreigners before Egyptians.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dx... just off Nozha Street there is the 'Speak Polish Centre' that is currently running Polish classes [Big Grin]
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well with unemployment levels at their current high it is only fair. Like I said the same rules apply in the UK

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com