EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Nuclear Power Plants in Egypt-Good/Bad Idea?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nuclear Power Plants in Egypt-Good/Bad Idea?
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watching the recent developments in Japan with their Nuclear Power Plants is pretty scary.

It's been proposed that Egypt should start using Nuclear Energy. I believe from what I have read in the past that one would be located somewhere to the East of Alex.?

Do you think Egypt should use this type of energy?

Do the benefits of it outweigh the risks?

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we need to wait for 'lessons learned' from the Japan experience.

The backup 'fail safe' systems failed in the face of the earthquake, and Japan is one of the better prepared countries for coping with earthquakes.
Let us not forget, Egypt is an earthquake zone.

I think Egypt would do better to exploit solar power a lot more than it does and spend money on doing that instead of on nuclear power stations. It's clean, readily available here and could actually supply the whole world's power needs with sufficient investment and without having to cover the entire desert (which could unexpected environmental implications).

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the solar project has been proposed Shanta, I hope they carry through with it and scrap any plans for nuclear energy here.

http://www.physorg.com/news195736357.html

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I know there are beginnings of solar plants in Egypt, but I'm talking thinking BIG - much bigger! I'm not sure of the exact figures having not checked for a few months, but I'm sure an array of about 45km x 45km can provide the energy for a huge portion of the world, not just Egypt.

Why isn't every new development equipped with solar panel arrays (albeit possibly not on rooftops where there may be a fire hazard and until Egypt is accustomed to having and FOLLOWING health & safety related building codes) to meet a good proportion of it's energy demands?

Solar ovens for every household with an outside yard area could be used.

I know 'domestic' sized solar arrays exist because if you travel out to the desert, you do see them powering eg mobile phone masts and the like.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Perhaps with the end of backhanders for big contracts, some of these excellent projects could actually get off the ground.

Also the desert-proof wheat.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imho nuclear power plants are a bad idea anywhere in the world.

Fully agree with Shanta about solar power in Egypt.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*probing Shanta's scientific mind*... [Smile] As you stated, Egypt is in an earthquake zone. Could a tsunami happen here, more specifically, the north coast?
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't kinda strange that the Japs being so meticulous about safety measures and stuff don't have an alternate source for cooling those reactors but to use sea water, WTF !
I think I read it somewhere that the US will be supplying them with the necessary coolant !!?? [Confused] What is this ?? Bengaladish or what ?
I think the dude who designed the #1 reactor should harakiri..and NOW !

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Could a tsunami happen here, more specifically, the north coast?

Well it did happen once when Santorini blew up and the tidal wave aka tsunami drowned Ramses II's army after Moses had escaped into Sinai..but that's like 3600 yrs ago, Moses times..and there was a cause for it to happen..petulance from the Almighty I guess. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
*probing Shanta's scientific mind*... [Smile] As you stated, Egypt is in an earthquake zone. Could a tsunami happen here, more specifically, the north coast?

I don't know, I had to drop Geog to do physics and I am trying to stop myself googling all day!
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
quote:

Well it did happen once when Santorini blew up and the tidal wave aka tsunami drowned Ramses II's army after Moses had escaped into Sinai..but that's like 3600 yrs ago, Moses times..and there was a cause for it to happen..petulance from the Almighty I guess. [Big Grin]
How many more levels should I have added to our home, so we have "high ground" to run to? [Wink]

@ Shanta...Don't waste time on it Shanta, just thought you might have an idea.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I guess Noah's flood was probably one of those too - but that might have been because the barrier between southern tip of Europe and northern tip of Africa which held the Mediterranean as an inland sea broke and allowed the ocean to flow in.
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:
I guess Noah's flood was probably one of those too - but that might have been because the barrier between southern tip of Europe and northern tip of Africa which held the Mediterranean as an inland sea broke and allowed the ocean to flow in.

Well OK but why all that rain and thunder ? And why get into a frenzy collecting all living species if it were a local thing ? [Confused]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
quote:
quote:

How many more levels should I have added to our home, so we have "high ground" to run to? [Wink]
Well I think those waves in Japan were 10m high so that's at least 3 stories. On the other hand, if you got hit by a wall of water that high, would the building actually be able to withstand it?
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
quote:

Well OK but why all that rain and thunder ? And why get into a frenzy collecting all living species if it were a local thing ? [Confused]
Hm - well maybe the rain and thunder were somehow connected to the barrier breaking up? Or the increase in water vapour in the area could have caused extra rain and so on.

As to it being 'local' at that time most human life that we know of existed in that area of the world and probably the people who lived at that time thought it was the whole world. The flood was probably huge and extensive. Didn't they find Noah's ark up a mountain in Turkey?

Anyway, I am refraining from googling, so this is based on things I half remember from earlier investigations in my life [Smile]

PS there were other flood stories around at that time (in the same general area) - the Babylonians - so seems like there was a real event captured by different people and probably passed through oral tradition and written down at some point.

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Shanta..I do hope this won't drag us into contemplating the disappearance of Atlantis [Big Grin]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

@Laura, some tsunamis are 30m high - that's a 10 story block - better get building!

Hm now, Atlantis.....

I must quit pontificating, I must quit pontificating - can you get a Pontificette patch to help give up? 3.5 hours of my life today wasted on the net.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Anyway, weren't those Atlantean dudes precursors of freemasonary and thus isn't Wael Ghonim entirely to blame on account of his plastic bracelets?
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
@Laura, some tsunamis are 30m high - that's a 10 story block - better get building!

Given the quality of workmanship here, I guess I am just going to opt for an "Ark-like structure". Totally Floatable!
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
quote:
Anyway, weren't those Atlantean dudes precursors of freemasonary and thus isn't Wael Ghonim entirely to blame on account of his plastic bracelets?

Erm..good point there, but we're not sure if they ever existed. [Razz]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

http://www.landshutters.com/flood-bags
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
http://www.landshutters.com/flood-bags

Thank you!!! And so much cheaper! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

This could be a great new business idea here on the North Coast. Put up a few Highway Billboards "educating the public" on earthquakes and the potential of a Tsunami (30 meters high you say!), and then open a couple of outlets on the North Coast (summertime operation only) and away we gooooooo . Franchises available [Big Grin]

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Nothing and I say NOTHING can withstand a 30 meter high tidal wave, did you guys see those cars,trucks, boats, ships and wooden houses being tossed and washed away to slam into the main highway on that Japanese prefecture ?? [Eek!]
I wonder why is it that France and then Japan chose to be governed by a prefect ? Wasn't that only in the days of the Roman empire ? [Confused]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: 45kmx45km

I'm having trouble with 45kmx45km. It's not adding up, maybe I'm doing the math wrong. The world's collective electricity consumption is approximately 20 Billion MW/hr per year. 1 km2 generates approximately 20MWx24x365=175,200 MW/hr/yr.

175200/20 Billion is approximately 325kmx325km. If I'm doing the math wrong and it is indeed 45kmx45km then the world should be ashamed, because that is doable on any scale.

-----------

BTW: I despise Nuclear energy.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

As I said, I didn't go back and double check and was based on memory which may be faulty! Also didn't go back and check the math or the input figures.

It was remarkably small whatever it was.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ancient Mediterranean Tsunami May Strike Again

by Mason Inman
for National Geographic News
March 10, 2008

Tsunamis like the the one that devastated ancient Alexandria in A.D. 365 may hit the Mediterranean relatively often, a new study argues.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/03/080310-tsunami.html

Occurrences of Tsunamis in the Mediterranean

A devastating Tsunami every century in the Mediterranean

Tsunamis can occur in European waters due to earthquakes caused by the African Plate drifting northwards underneath the Eurasian Plate.

Ten percent of all tsunamis worldwide occur in the Mediterranean. On average, one disastrous tsunami takes place in the Mediterranean region every century. Geological research and historical records report of many powerful tsunamis that have taken the lives of thousands over the ages. Greece and southern Italy are mostly affected...

http://www.tsunami-alarm-system.com/en/phenomenon-tsunami/occurrences-mediterranean.html

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the great threat to Egypt the breaking of the Aswan Dam? Is anyone bothering to maintain it. Can any of you talented physicists and mathematicians calculate how long it would take the water to reach Cairo? Would we have time to escape in at a normal traffic jam pace?
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^
Aswan Dam is 400 miles away, it's a downward slope from there to Cairo (I think), but it'll take some time. It's not as simple as point A to point B, and the floodplain will impede the speed and height of the dam break wave. The wave may start out 70+ meters high but it will decrease in height the further it is from the break.

A guess would be 3-5 hours, but on the safe side make it 2, and anything at least 10 meters above the current nile water levels (not street level). 15 meters might even be better. So definitely enough time to head to Moqattam and if you're stuck in traffic look for a solid building ahead head to high floors.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Revolution offers a ray of hope for solar energy
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com