EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Lower electric rates?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lower electric rates?
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed my electric rates are significantly lower than this time last year. Anyone else? Because of revolution?
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing that you may have an 'estimated' bill.

I just looked at my March one - didn't look too closely when I got it as it was 'about right' but it does seem to be estimated. It doesn't give a reading but says بدون which google translate tells me means 'without'.
It's also given the rate as 2pt per unit.

Glad you pointed that out because I didn't check it like I normally do as I was in a hurry when he came last time.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yippee - my bill was mammothly reduced today to levels not seen since I moved in!
Obviously, they way over-estimated me last month [Smile]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our bill seems like it's been higher, which I can't understand. The meter is right outside our door so they don't need to estimate anything!!

I have a feeling some jerk in the building is somehow tapping into our electric because the bill is way too high for using nothing much more than some room lights and the water heater in the bathroom. It's not even on all the time.

If this keeps up, when we start using the a/c, which looking at the forecast will be this week, the bill will kill us!

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trip all your electrics off and if your meter still runs you know you are powering your neighbours.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everybody's complaining, they've raised the cost I guess, I live alone and pay like 230 EGP. average per month. [Frown]

Maybe its that damn laptop ?? [Big Grin]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:

Everybody's complaining, they've raised the cost I guess, I live alone and pay like 230 EGP. average per month. [Frown]

That sounds expensive! I pay around 30 LE per month.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just this second paid mine, 34.60le for last month...
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, 30/35 pounds for a month? What are you running, 10 watt light bulbs and nothing else? [Razz]
Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
lol, 30/35 pounds for a month? What are you running, 10 watt light bulbs and nothing else? [Razz]

Nah, I am just not running the neighbours lights as well lol [Wink]

I have a gas heater and a gas oven and the electrics just run the same as everyone else's homes.

How much do you pay for gas if you don't mind me asking.

LovedOne
Member # 10222

Well we have tanks for the stove, and the heaters are plugged in, electric. Perhaps that's what's making a difference.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Sounds the likely option. Electric is more expensive than gas by far.

I pay max 8le for gas and I cook a hell of a lot and I have a hot bath everyday (even in the summer) so my gas runs a lot.

GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GM44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
January and February were around LE 110, March LE 53. The higher bill was because of the oil heater. We are a family of 4, we have two electric heaters (one small in the kitchen and a larger one in the bathroom). In the evening lights are on in everyone's room and computers on.
Posts: 264 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
quote:

I have a gas heater and a gas oven and the electrics just run the same as everyone else's homes.

Gas heater? Do you have that posh gas that's not in a bottle then? [Confused]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well we have tanks for the stove, and the heaters are plugged in, electric. Perhaps that's what's making a difference.

I have an electric heater in the bathroom as well. And during the cold days I used the radiator quite a lot.

Electricity rates differ from area to area though, maybe Mohandesseen is more expensive?

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:
quote:

Do you mean piped gas lol...
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
That sounds expensive! I pay around 30 LE per month.

Washing machine, microwave, elecric kettle, fridge, water heater, toaster, iron/hair dryer, vacuum cleaner, tv, laptop and lights and you pay only 30 LE ( 1 LE a day) [Confused]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Washing machine, microwave, elecric kettle, fridge, water heater, toaster, iron/hair dryer, vacuum cleaner, tv, laptop and lights and you pay only 30 LE ( 1 LE a day) [Confused]

No microwave, toaster and TV. Do you think that makes the difference? [Wink]
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Why no TV Dalia ?
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pay around LE50 -LE70 a month, over a year. And that's a 3 bedroom villa. [With fans and lights in the garden]
Don't have a/c though.
Does electricity vary in price regionally?

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:
quote:

Do you mean piped gas lol...
mine is piped from the bottle to the oven [Cool]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
DZ... My bill was only 35le. Its only 300 or so mid summer when I leave the ACs running.
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was 40 le this month. Thats with family of three. The laptop, and tv always on. I have gas stove and hot water heater. But in summer with two a/cs bills between 200 and 400 le.
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

Why no TV Dalia ?

Don't know, it's just not been high on my list of priorities. I might get one at some point, but dread the hassle of buying and setting up a dish etc.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Mine was 22 this month. Normally it's 70-100 but I have electric hot water. That seems to make the biggest difference. A friend has gas water heating and her bill is a lot smaller.

I have started using the AC more as hot weather coupled with 'age related defects' mean I get very hot very quickly and even now I have a fan on almost 24/7. So a couple of times last year it hit the 180LE mark.

Also I like a lot of lights on and every light fitting in this country seems to come with the need for a zillion bulbs. I use the long life ones where I can get the shorter ones to fit (most of them now) and also if it's a multiple bulb unit and it's one of those flying saucer types where it's not so obvious if there's a bulb down, I mainly use only one bulb. The longer length ones are ghastly to look at so am not replacing them when they break.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:

Mine was 22 this month. Normally it's 70-100 but I have electric hot water. That seems to make the biggest difference. A friend has gas water heating and her bill is a lot smaller.

I have an electric sakhan too – unfortunately, I might add, since I like the ones that work with gas much better – and for a few months I had a roommate who showered every day until the sakhan (50l) was empty, which I never do. Still the bill didn't exceed thirtysomething LE.

quote:

one of those flying saucer types where it's not so obvious if there's a bulb down

[Confused]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com