EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » More burning?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More burning?
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone noticed burning smells at night recently? The last week or more we've been smelling an acrid burning at night, quite late. It almost smells electrical in nature, but it's coming from outside, and just late at nights.

It's actually fairly nauseating and I'm certain that whatever is burning isn't doing my or anyone elses lungs any good!

It's not rice burning season and I don't know of any other times the farmers burn at.

Would the agricultural college be burning fields at night?? [Confused]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
Has anyone noticed burning smells at night recently? The last week or more we've been smelling an acrid burning at night, quite late. It almost smells electrical in nature, but it's coming from outside, and just late at nights.

It's actually fairly nauseating and I'm certain that whatever is burning isn't doing my or anyone elses lungs any good!

It's not rice burning season and I don't know of any other times the farmers burn at.

Would the agricultural college be burning fields at night?? [Confused]

OMG, last night I was going all over the flat checking electrical wires!! I was sure something was burning, the smell started about early evening and I thought it was coming from my kitchen, that's the one window that's kept open. Thought at first it was downstairs making bread but later on I realized it was like electrical wiring burning. I have noticed it for the last few days too and thought it odd that downstairs was making bread every day.

That is odd, you are bloody miles away from me!

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How odd.

I haven't noticed anything but my house smells of paint, turps and raid!!!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, Ayisha I somehow doubt we are smelling the same fire or whatever it is so many miles apart. [Big Grin]

But, it could be that someone is burning something in both places. Maybe there's a problem with trash pickup in the area and someone is burning it. That sounds about right. Many people here don't tend to think about the consequences of their actions in regards to how they affect other people. Generalization sure, but it's what I've seen. Not that it doesn't happen other places too. [Razz]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came through Mohandseen and round the back of Giza through to 6O last night (in a nanobus - yeah!!! - like a microbus only smaller - 5 passengers) and it stank to heaven - like burning tyres and general junk. I wondered if it was the zebbuleen place in Mohandseen too.
Don't normally smell it so bad. Someone else though last week was complaining of acrid burning smells up near 10th Ramadan, but there was a fire in a factory up there that time.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trash burning is widely done in Egypt. One of the reasons why the air is so polluted.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:
I came through Mohandseen and round the back of Giza through to 6O last night (in a nanobus - yeah!!! - like a microbus only smaller - 5 passengers) and it stank to heaven - like burning tyres and general junk. I wondered if it was the zebbuleen place in Mohandseen too.
Don't normally smell it so bad. Someone else though last week was complaining of acrid burning smells up near 10th Ramadan, but there was a fire in a factory up there that time.

Cairo sits in a depression. Its closer to sea level than most of Egypt's major cities and despite having the Nile run down the center of the city there isn't strong enough wind to pull the smog off the city.

Minneapolis and St. Paul both are nearer to sea level than the rest of the state and despite having the Mississipi running through both cities the smog does build up.

Even more noticiable after the city of Minneapolis built two incinerators to decrease solid refuse expenses and to generate power. Now Minneapolis has more "critical air quality alert" days than most other major metro areas. And its costing huge amounts in regards to respiratory illnesses amoung the elderly and young.

There is a ton of burning in Cairo that is industrial in nature. the agricultural burning is done outside of the basin depression and really doesn't contribute to smog. Yet the myth lingers because thats the way the media portrays it.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com