EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » School Interviews

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: School Interviews
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can any of you parents out there please give me a list of what school interviews for your kids leaving Nurseries entailed.

What kind of questions, was there something specific that they asked your child etc... what was the pressure like, did they have to sit a written test. Any info really.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Expensive schools don't care much about the kids as much as they care to interview the parents, making sure they're not trashy and can master at least one foreign language..cheap schools will take $hit as long as a 'donation' is made, no interview of any kind needed. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that cash is obviously an influence. (I stated in another thread one family were turned away as although the family could afford it as they were not 'liked')

When you say 'master a foreign language' how is that graded? Do the kids take a verbal test? What questions are asked?

How about academic levels to depict class grouping in large schools? Are the kids asked to prove academic skills? Do some schools prefer reports from KG teachers?

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When kids from my class at the nursery went to interview at modern english, british intl school etc they took most current progress report that i had prepared. Usually the parents were not allowed inside with the child for interview. The interview is usually conducted in English or if its a French or German school in their main language. The children usually need a good grasp of concepts of opposites, basic counting skills and the alphabet. All my kids could write their names, form some letters and numbers without help and draw basic shapes when asked. Also they could cut well unaided with scissors and recognized all their colours.
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Thanks Adelly... that is great info for me to pass along to my friend [Smile]

Forewarned and all that.

I did just wonder if the kids were asked to go in alone and ask to highlight their knowledge as opposed to just let the school take cash... I will make sure she has a current progress report to take along.

Thanks again.

adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had rich parents rejected. Its not just about the money.
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's true, adelly, it's not only about the money. I personally taught a little boy (I was an au-pair before) and he made it through the testing and was able to attend the DEO (German School in Dokki) while his younger brother wasn't so lucky. And the family wasn't anything but poor, upper middle class.

"4. After the interview days at 27.02 .- 03.03.2011 60 children are selected in a pre-selection for the test days. The parents of these children will be invited to a short interview. To participate in the trial days, a further fee of LE 300, - to be paid to the school fund.

5. After the test days at 27.03 .- 03.31.2011, children are selected for admission to the kindergarten school year 2011/2012.

6. If your child is born during the period 07/01/2007 to 08/31/2007, you can choose your child in November 2010 (for the intake interview in the spring of 2011) or November 2011 (for the intake interview in the spring of 2012) to register.

But any child may participate only once in the interview.

The decision to include a host committee is composed of the principal, the head of the Arab department, elementary school principal and the kindergarten director.

Ask to interview results and test days, we are unable to respond individually.

A repetition of the recording interviews is excluded."

http://www.deokairo.com/de/anmeldung/kindergartenvorschule.html

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
And what did the interviews and tests consist of, which is what I am kinda asking for.
Mrs Hassan
Member # 15069

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs Hassan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
And what did the interviews and tests consist of, which is what I am kinda asking for.

CF to answer your questions:
parents fill in forms with details such as occupation etc.. At the parents interview they asked us about our children, and previous education, language levels etc... spoken/written/arabic. Do the kids have any hobbies outside of school and do we spend time as a family etc..then we got to ask about the school etc..
They will aslo tell you about fees, books, exams etc.

The test for the kids. they went into a room on there own with a member of staff from the school. Test consisted of maths (for year 6) it talked about quoitients/divisors and dividents... American terms. English was completing sentences with correct verbs etc.
Year 3 was similar with easier questions.
They then had a conversation with the head of the school. Once completed, you get the results at the end of the week to say if there in or out.
Oh and i forgot to say, my kid did not know what the term quotiant meant and neither did the staff member sitting with them. So i did mention this to the head of the school.

Posts: 129 | From: In the land of plenty | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Thank you, I will tell my friend today that ideally she will need to take the latest pupil report and prepare her twins for some basic concept and academic questions.

She is worried as her twins are very very shy and won't 'perform'. Perhaps the pupil report will be suffice to show their ability.

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, expect some sort of intelligence and personal skills quiz, where they ask the child to group certain shapes and make assumptions, the sort of thing where they make sure the kid isn't stupid. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
DZ, I will pass that info on too. One of the twins is Autistic so any kind of skills and intelligence test will frankly just bore him [Smile] It is his social skills she is worried about.

I don't believe that there are stupid kids, just stupid parents and teachers. [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com