EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Internet and mobile phone cuts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Internet and mobile phone cuts
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday in Luxor (only, apparently) the internet, vodafone and mobinil went down for about 15 minutes. This morning I was up at 8am and same again until about 9.15am, according to another resident it all went at about 2.15am.

I can't find any news or the like on the net, if anyone has any idea what's going off we would appreciate any news about it.

Anyone else being affected??

[Frown] [Frown]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've had some internet issues.

We have 3 ways to connect to the internet, one of which being free wi-fi in the area from a few sources. All of the ways we connect were unavailable at a few points the other day. But I think that was day before yesterday.

In any case it was quite strange. The neighborhood cable was dead and the neighborhood wi-fi as well.
It was like there was a power outage except there wasn't.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a 'down time' day before yesterday morning with my vodafone but Etisalat was ok though weak signal. Don't know about my internet as I didn't try to come on line.
Also, my satellite tv signal was terrible.

I blame the sun spots... Must look at the space weather for a day or so ago.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 2 Etisalat dongles this month and on Sunday one was down and the otheR wasn't. Internet on BB has been fine though and tv... Well, am gutted fox series vanished! Def need to sort my tv out, seriously gonna get showtime!
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:
I had a 'down time' day before yesterday morning with my vodafone but Etisalat was ok though weak signal. Don't know about my internet as I didn't try to come on line.
Also, my satellite tv signal was terrible.

I blame the sun spots... Must look at the space weather for a day or so ago.

Found this, means nothing to me but looks like something has been happening

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/today.html

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am the other person that lost internet. I was on Skype at the time and it went at 2:16 am. i went to text the person and my mobile couldn't connect to the network. Tried my UK phone and that was out too. Internet came back before the phones. Weird

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are those landline internets or dongle internets Ayisha & Akshar?

I'm trying to think what would cause them all to go out.

If your UK phone went out to Akshar, that must have meant all the providers were out. I know my UK phone roams around Vodafone (most of the time), Mobinil second most and etisalat if it has to. Even during the revolution outage, it still managed to transmit texts from the UK so must have been a satellite or main transmitter out if maybe all providers are sharing one in your neck of the woods. BUT I can't figure out how that would affect landline internet.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Both are landline internets shanta, although modem said it was connected there was nothing happening and signals on both phones went altogether.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com