EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » St. George's Day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: St. George's Day
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy St. George's Day fellow English folk.

Celebrating my heritage and thinking of home [Smile]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
Happy St. George's Day fellow English folk.

Celebrating my heritage and thinking of home [Smile]

I attenede a St. George's day parade last weekend. It wasn;t totally English though. They had a Scotish bagpipes band, something American themed, a few Hell Angels on their bikes, and even belly dancers! How English is that?
I think the two exclusively English items in the parade were the shire horses (not sure if other countires have them actually) and the Morris dancers! It was a sunny day, so enjoyed the outdoors event.
An English friend refused to come with me, she said there's something "BNP'ish" about St. George's day. It appears to me that a lot of the English don't do nationalism, well, certainly not in the way the Irish, Scotts, Welsh and even Cornish do it.
I attended St.Pat's parade last month (can you see a pattern here, lol) and it was much more cheerful than St. George's. I love the Irish, they are just brilliant. Warm and cheerful, the exact opposite of the English [Smile] .

BTW, I had a Cornish neighbour who first introduced herself as being from "the republic of Cornwall"!

Have a good one, in whichever way!

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, the Cornish are ace [Big Grin] I'm down in deepest darkest Devon and I love the accent down here. Everythings "my lover" and "proper job" [Big Grin]

Happy St George's Day folks [Smile]

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to laugh at the BNP comment about English people celebrating their own Patron Saint's Day!

When did patriotism turn into racism?

I am off to a St. George's party in Cairo now... [Big Grin]

But cheers Ramesis, your comment makes me proud to belong to an Irish family... even if I was born and bred in England [Wink]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com