EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Advice on buying A/Cs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice on buying A/Cs?
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!

I'm going to buy an A/C and would like to hear about the experiences of those who own some. For example:

~ Which brands would you recommend? And are there any brands you would definitely not recommend?

~ Do some brands have better service than others, or does that depend on the store?

~ Is there anything in particular I should keep in mind when having it installed?

~ Do prices differ greatly between stores? Or are the differences neglectable?

I know there is a thread on this somewhere here but without the search function it's impossible to find …

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would highly recommend Sharp. Not the cheapest but they are whisper quiet and all have been very reliable.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SHARP and nothing else, soundless and plasma cluster filter from Al Araby, hot line 19319..I know there's Carrier but not to be compared with the quality SHARP will provide, btw they're the only two brands that give 5 years of a guarantee on the compressor.
Stay away from all the cheap brands, such as Power, Americool, Fresh and Goldi..If you find SHARP too expensive then don't waste your money on anything cheap, you're better off with a fan.
Carrier are very punctual with servicing, I haven't tried SHARP's maintenance yet since its been less than a year that I've had one installed in my North coast summer house.

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Sharp or Carrier. It is one of those items where you pay for what you get.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:

hot line 19319

This number is not working, unfortunately. I went to the website, but in order to see the list of their dealers you have to register.

http://www.elarabygroup.com/DealerList.aspx

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Register ya Dalia, its free..there's a Maadi one for you on Rd.263 phone 25192442, you do speak Arabic I hope ? [Razz]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
I might be paranoid, but I try to avoid registering for each and everything.

Thanks for the phone number, will call them later. [Smile] Yes, I speak Arabic.

Could you give me a very rough idea of the prices? My bedroom is about 22 square meters, thick walls, facing Northeast (I think), and when asking around I was being told that I will probably be looking at something like 5000 LE for a split unit. Does that sound realistic?

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Yes, that's about the average cost, but if you want there's a 'cold only' model for like 300 EGP less, that's if you don't use the heating option which I personally think is a waste.
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
the heating option which I personally think is a waste.

I was surprised to find my mother's apartment freezing this past winter. The weather would be beautiful outside and freezing in that apartment.
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the heating option, I cannot get through a winter here without heating...
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
I use those cheap radiators that turn red when they're on, they're easy to take every where you go in the house, even in the kitchen, no need to have an A/C for that job me thinks.
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
if you want there's a 'cold only' model for like 300 EGP less, that's if you don't use the heating option which I personally think is a waste.

I don't like the warm air blowing out of an A/C. I prefer oil radiators in winter.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could not survive without an a/c in Egypt..... NO WAY!!!!!!!

And yes of course look for quality and not only automatically on the price tag. More is better when it comes to bying an a/c def.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Dalia
I have a friend selling acs
can do u a disct
just chooose the brand and tell me

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only advice I have is if buying heating/cooling AC and the price differential is only 300 L.E. Get the one with both options. Might prove beneficial in the event you want to sell your AC down the the road.
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i always buy the cheap walmart brand window ac. it last me 6 or 7 yrs. 220.00$

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheap ones sometimes end up costing big buck in electricity bills because they have to stay on all the time to get the room anywhere near cool.
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Thanks for the advice again. I got a Sharp 2,25 hp. So far, I'm happy. [Smile]

I find it remarkable that not only the unit inside is super-quiet, but the compressor outside isn't very noisy either.

Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
The only advice I have is if buying heating/cooling AC and the price differential is only 300 L.E. Get the one with both options. Might prove beneficial in the event you want to sell your AC down the the road.

Great advise. Wonder how many people regret not listening to it. Brrrrr
Raul John
Member # 20137

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raul John   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Advice on buying any thing we will aware market environment and get a perfect decision for best growth and health so be happy and aware for best growth.

--------------------
Raul John

Posts: 5 | From: usa | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com