EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Should I be worried?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I be worried?
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the past couple of days I've been getting virus warnings from my antivirus thing each time I visit ES.
Anyone else getting this problem?

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tareq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is your os? and anti virus program.

I am on mac osx. I never worry about viruses.

Posts: 277 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am virtually computer illiterate BTW. My antivirus is Avast and another one, can't remember right now.I do scan often, usually after my dumb German friend comes over to open his spam mail.
I have also totally lost my Hotmail account. It was hacked a month ago, thought I'd fixed it, but now blocked [need my address book urgently!!] and the 'alternate email' is fictitious, so I can't access the pin code to recover it.
Suicidal. [Confused]

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tareq:

I am on mac osx. I never worry about viruses.

Same here. But if you're on Windows, you need to be more careful.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tareq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know someone having the same issue with hotmail. his account was blocked also.

you can give it a try reading this link

http://email.about.com/od/hotmailtips/qt/et_hotmail_supp.htm

I think the problem is in the network you are in. are you using a cable or a virus infected network ( unsecured)?

how do you get into the internet?

Posts: 277 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
by the way, avast is a german anti virus. It gets hyper sensitive some times. [Wink]
you do not need to panic
how about you update it ?

Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how do you get into the internet?

Etisalat USB.
I think I've tried everything with Hotmail, trawled through MSM sites, for for help services, and when I find one that isn't obsolete, it requires me to 'sign in' !!!! to access it.
But will try the link.
I am so desperate, feel like flying to California and going in person.
I have business contracts saved in my email account which I need for an imminent legal case. And please don't tell me I shouldn't have done it. I know that now!!
thanks.

Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Oh Tareq!!! I searched all through that link and found the bit where you can request the pin number to be sent to another email address. They said it will take 24 hours!, so fingers crossed.
You may just have saved my life. Literally.
I owe you one!

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine says safe. no virus here

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avast is notorious for false positives. Having two AV or two firewalls is also counterproductive, this is widely asserted by internet security gurus, one of each is ideal, or even a combo. I had Avast but the false positives were a little too much. If you want to be extra sure, simply do an online antivirus scan, that way if your security system is compromised you'll still get accurate results. It takes time, and here are two free online scanners from reputable companies:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Really, I can handle false positives [better than false negatives]My dumb German friend brought a USB over a while back and so I could write his CV in English, and I made him scan it first. 213 viruses!
The full scan on Avast can take ages, so maybe I'll do an online one regularly instead. Thanks.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo, with the amount of shite being posted on here as links by a couple of resident bores I am in no doubt whatsover that ES poses a security risk.

I never open the ones on FB that look viral so I certainly don't on here. Especially looking at the mental health issues of some folk [Wink]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A virus from FB took down the network of a whole office I worked in once. There was a big deal going through and they couldn't wire the money...

It wasn't me [Wink]

I don't trust those FB apps at all now.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FB was blocked on the server where I used to work... Not just viral issues but folk would spend all day on it!
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was blocked on ours too but if you talked to the IT manager nicely he'd tell you how to bypass it [Smile]

Someone did it in their lunch hour when we were allowed to access it anyway - she didn't get in trouble or owt but it must have been well embarrassing. They banned it completely after that.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Macs do get viruses/trojans, don't be complacent now!

http://www.businessinsider.com/macs-are-beautiful-macs-are-easy-to-use-macs-do-get-viruses-watch-this-video-2011-3

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/12/31/mac.os.x.a.growing.target/

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com