EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » The hijacking of the Revolution at City Stars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The hijacking of the Revolution at City Stars
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://academic.aucegypt.edu/caravan/story/hijacking-revolution-city-stars

Monday, May 16th, 2011

The signs on the picture below (see link) were photographed on the night of May 6, at the entrance of the City Stars shopping centre. Clearly, these pictures were not present before the Revolution. The Sharbatly family, the Saudi owners of City Stars, are clearly testing the waters in post-January 25 Egypt.
We need to come out and say NO. No to segregation, no to an Islamic State!

As Abdullahi A. An-Nai’m explained in the Social Justice conference held last week on the old campus, an Islamic State is bound to fail.

He advances two reasons for this, the first being that the best anyone can come up with through a reading of Shari’a, is a reading of Shari’a, one intepretation among an infinity of possible interpretations. If any interpretation is per se, subjective; on what basis can a group adhering to a certain interpretation of Shari’a law, claim that this is the interpretation to follow? Which leads us to his second reason: Unlike politics which are bound to change as governments follow, the State is the enduring entity in a country.

So by making the State dependent on Shari’a, and Shari’a being dependent on individual interpretations, we make the State as unstable as politics are. Anyone who has observed the political scene in Egypt in the last few months, can get a feel of what unstable politics is. Is this how you would like to see the Egyptian State in the future?

History provides us with a wealth of examples of ‘hijacked’ revolutions. The City Stars adminitstration must be compelled to remove such signs.

- Youssef Abdel Aziz

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!]
what? No skateboards? No underwear? No humans?

No shoppers, no customers, no money ... no business.

Looks like Mr Sharbatly is shorting shares in Carrefour for a week or so.
Clever move, hope he pulls it off.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought no underwear as well lol
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw this on Twitter yesterday already.

Welcome do SaudiLand!!!! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tareq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This person "Youssef" who wrote the article looks a total idiot for me.
Posts: 277 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since when does City Stars have a skateboarding problem anyway? I know they exist, but I never even saw one skateboarder in Egypt in 3 years.

No hand holding???? Does that go for men as well when they walk arm in arm and holding hands with their buddies?

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tareq:
This person "Youssef" who wrote the article looks a total idiot for me.

Why?????
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"He advances two reasons for this, the first being that the best anyone can come up with through a reading of Shari’a, is a reading of Shari’a, one intepretation among an infinity of possible interpretations. If any interpretation is per se, subjective; on what basis can a group adhering to a certain interpretation of Shari’a law, claim that this is the interpretation to follow?

Bezapt!

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
With Nour Party, Salafis attempt to tap into party politics

“We talk about democracy as long as it does not contradict Islamic sharia,” Metwalli said. “We will oppose anything that contradicts Islamic sharia, even if it is accepted by the majority.”

Protest before Saudi Embassy against financing Salafis
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tareq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why I say this writer is crazy and idiot?
I think skateboard or that sign has nothing to do with Islam or islamic state or wahabi or shia or iran.

People are obsessed these days with Islamic state. Lol. Egypt is always an Islamic state. Who thinks the opposite?

Posts: 277 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are no "infinite" ways to interpret Sharia. There is only one way to interpret Sharia: the way Muhammad interpreted it. Every other interpretation is "un-Islamic".

Many Muslims say that Islam is misinterpreted or misunderstood especially by those who harbor 'hatred' towards Muslims.

These claims ignore basic facts in Muslim scriptures. They are denying that the interpretation of Islam has already been done and settled.

Sharia was written shortly after Mohammad died by learned Imams of Islam based on careful and very elaborate investigation and interpretation of the Quran, hadith and life and example of Mohammad.

So Islam has already been interpreted and reinterpreted since its inception 1400 years ago, by Muhammad himself.

If anyone wants to know the interpretation of the word ‘jihad’ in Islam, just open the index in Sharia books and look it up. According to Shafi’I law jihad means “to war with non-Muslims to establish the religion”; nothing vague or ambiguous there. To understand what is the punishment for apostasy, it is also very simple, Sharia books are all unanimous and without exception, state that an apostate must be given 3 days to repent and if s/he does not, then s/he must be killed immediately. Apostasy law is at the heart of Islam, the only religion on earth that kill those who leave it. That is why to make sure it will be carried out regardless of government compliance, Muslim law entrusted its enforcement to the public. Thus Sharia states that a Muslim who kills an apostate will not be punished. No ifs ands or buts. Vigilante street violence against apostates is thereby allowed even encouraged, under Muslim law.

Through out the History of Islam, Muslims have been in turmoil over Sharia; they debate and re-debate, interpret and re-interpret, they denied, hid facts, used deceit, lies and misinformation to make Islam appear humane. But appearance is one thing and reality is another.

No one in Islam can dare change Sharia itself. So instead of dealing with the real problem many try to save face by claiming that Sharia and Islam are simply misinterpreted. That is not finding solutions for victims of Sharia and victims of terror; rather it is deceit that compounds the problem especially in the politically correct West.

Muslims are in desperate need to muster the courage and leadership to admit that the problem is in the content and not the image.

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
And alcohol is still being sold inside [Big Grin]
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Again Tigerlilly under disguise of Vwws.

Alcohol is sold in Saudi arabia also if that helps.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vwwvv:
There are no "infinite" ways to interpret Sharia. There is only one way to interpret Sharia: the way Muhammad interpreted it. Every other interpretation is "un-Islamic".

Many Muslims say that Islam is misinterpreted or misunderstood especially by those who harbor 'hatred' towards Muslims.

These claims ignore basic facts in Muslim scriptures. They are denying that the interpretation of Islam has already been done and settled.

Sharia was written shortly after Mohammad died by learned Imams of Islam based on careful and very elaborate investigation and interpretation of the Quran, hadith and life and example of Mohammad.

So Islam has already been interpreted and reinterpreted since its inception 1400 years ago, by Muhammad himself.

If anyone wants to know the interpretation of the word ‘jihad’ in Islam, just open the index in Sharia books and look it up. According to Shafi’I law jihad means “to war with non-Muslims to establish the religion”; nothing vague or ambiguous there. To understand what is the punishment for apostasy, it is also very simple, Sharia books are all unanimous and without exception, state that an apostate must be given 3 days to repent and if s/he does not, then s/he must be killed immediately. Apostasy law is at the heart of Islam, the only religion on earth that kill those who leave it. That is why to make sure it will be carried out regardless of government compliance, Muslim law entrusted its enforcement to the public. Thus Sharia states that a Muslim who kills an apostate will not be punished. No ifs ands or buts. Vigilante street violence against apostates is thereby allowed even encouraged, under Muslim law.

Through out the History of Islam, Muslims have been in turmoil over Sharia; they debate and re-debate, interpret and re-interpret, they denied, hid facts, used deceit, lies and misinformation to make Islam appear humane. But appearance is one thing and reality is another.

No one in Islam can dare change Sharia itself. So instead of dealing with the real problem many try to save face by claiming that Sharia and Islam are simply misinterpreted. That is not finding solutions for victims of Sharia and victims of terror; rather it is deceit that compounds the problem especially in the politically correct West.

Muslims are in desperate need to muster the courage and leadership to admit that the problem is in the content and not the image.

quote:
If anyone wants to know the interpretation of the word ‘jihad’ in Islam, just open the index in Sharia books and look it up. According to Shafi’I law jihad means “to war with non-Muslims to establish the religion”; nothing vague or ambiguous there.
The greatest Jihad is resisting temptations and sin and living a pious life. This is something that every muslims endures and is the greatest of Jihad. This is known fact amongst the Ummah. As is striving and caring for your family especially during the direst of times.

Muslims don't need a bigot like you to to tell the world what Jihad means. You twisted nut!

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Again Tigerlilly under disguise of Vwws.

Alcohol is sold in Saudi arabia also if that helps.

Yeah at diplomatic parties and in compounds and hotels. But the rules there are no where near as slack as here. mmmm, Intercontinetal cocktails... how I love you!

My point is, if the Saudis wanted to go Shari on our asses they would try to remove the alcohol like they tried in their hotels in Cairo last year... which miserably failed. Because revenue generated by alcohol consumers means more to them than Sharia. Every man has his price [Wink]

Seeing a sign saying no vest top or couples holding hands is more for the tourists tbh. Locals know what is acceptable but visitors don't if you don't tell them. Just my POV. The skateboard sign as far as I am aware has feck all to do with Sharia, unless I missed something in Religious Study class!!!!

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Oh and there is also a sign re: the new rule that Friday is 'families' only. Now this has been the case for a while but the new sign must mean something more sinister [Wink]

Oh the crime and in-humanity. [Big Grin]

I actually don't see the drama.

vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If there are no armed force of Muslims, no Jihad and no fighting, nobody would allow us to establish the Sharia of Allah"

How is it that Dokka Abu Usman, who situates everything he says in the context of Islam and frequently quotes the Qur'an, have misunderstood Islam so thoroughly as to think that Muslims must fight in order to impose Sharia? Can some Muslim please explain how his vision of Islam differs from Dokka's, and what he would say to Dokka if he had the chance to try to convince him that his understanding of Islam was wrong?

"We are not in a hurry. The path has been chosen, we know our tasks, and we will not turn back, Insha'Allah, from this path

Jihad is spreading, steadily and inevitably, everywhere."

"According to all signs, it is clear that the world is in such situation that the death of the leaders of the Jihad cannot stop the process of the revival of Islam."

"The only thing I can say for certain is that if there are no armed force of Muslims, no Jihad and no fighting, nobody would allow us to establish the Sharia of Allah. If it were possible, it would have been done already by our Prophet."

http://www.kavkazcenter.com/eng/content/2011/05/17/14313.shtml

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vwwvv:
"If there are no armed force of Muslims, no Jihad and no fighting, nobody would allow us to establish the Sharia of Allah"

How is it that Dokka Abu Usman, who situates everything he says in the context of Islam and frequently quotes the Qur'an, have misunderstood Islam so thoroughly as to think that Muslims must fight in order to impose Sharia? Can some Muslim please explain how his vision of Islam differs from Dokka's, and what he would say to Dokka if he had the chance to try to convince him that his understanding of Islam was wrong?

"We are not in a hurry. The path has been chosen, we know our tasks, and we will not turn back, Insha'Allah, from this path

Jihad is spreading, steadily and inevitably, everywhere."

"According to all signs, it is clear that the world is in such situation that the death of the leaders of the Jihad cannot stop the process of the revival of Islam."

"The only thing I can say for certain is that if there are no armed force of Muslims, no Jihad and no fighting, nobody would allow us to establish the Sharia of Allah. If it were possible, it would have been done already by our Prophet."

http://www.kavkazcenter.com/eng/content/2011/05/17/14313.shtml

Easy you are a distorted psycho who is sick in the head. Repeatedly failing to comprehend that there are 1 billion Muslims who have never picked up a rock, stick or weapon and the only Jihad they're struggling for is living life.

That's the struggle of Muslims.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Very Weird... Do you imagine that Egypt is a place full of fanatical muslim extremists?
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
VW has a very distorted view of Islam based on propaganda spread by Christian extremist websites such as Jihadwatch, Islamophobes such as Ali Sina, and of course her daily dose of online newspapers such as the dailymail. It has become her reality, and she's giving us a window into her mind. Which IMHO is a sickly dark and twisted place.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Quite a sad existence. Perhaps VW should travel and interact with people more.

I have lived in a country where the Chrisitans were WAY more fanatical. I had my hair cut in 'The lord is my shepherd' hairdressers.

Check this link out... talk about in yer face!

http://vocaro.com/trevor/peacecorps/worldwiseschools/storenames.html

It is easier to live in Egypt I can tell you!

I think it is pathetic to claim to be a good person yet have so much hatred towards others!

vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
The fact that 1 billion Muslims do not follow Sharia does not change the nature of Sharia.

So, if Islam is violent, why are so many Muslims peaceful? This question is a bit like asking, "If Christianity teaches humility, tolerance, and forgiveness, why are so many Christians arrogant, intolerant, and vindictive?" The answer in both cases is obvious: in any religion or ideology there will be many who profess, but do not practice, its tenets. Just as it is often easier for a Christian to hit back, play holier-than-thou, or disdain others, so it is often easier for a Muslim to stay at home rather than embark on jihad. Hypocrites are everywhere.

Furthermore, there are also people who do not really understand their own faith and so act outside of its prescribed boundaries. In Islam, there are likely many Muslims who do not really understand their religion thanks to the importance of reciting the Quran in Arabic but not having to understand it. It is the words and sounds of the Quran that attract Allah's merciful attention rather than Quranic knowledge on the part of the supplicant. Especially in the West, Muslims here are more likely to be attracted by Western ways (which explains why they are here) and less likely to act violently against the society to which they may have fled from an Islamic tyranny abroad.

However, in any given social context, as Islam takes greater root- increasing numbers of followers, the construction of more mosques and "cultural centers," etc.- the greater the likelihood that its adherents will take its violent precepts seriously. This is the problem that the West faces today.

Many Islamic countries have realized that true Islam is impractical. Very few of them can practice it faithfully; they all have modified it to certain extent and have incorporated secularism into their laws to make life bearable. Those that do follow Islam are hells on Earth. Interestingly the civility and the progress of these countries are proportionate to the level of their secularization.

vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
"VW has a very distorted view of Islam based on propaganda spread by...."

..by the Quran itself, Islamic history, and Muhammad himself.

My distorted version of Islam happens to agree with Muhammad's version of Islam. All four schools of thought in Islam agree with my "distorted" version of Islam.

It is not the Islamorealists who give Islam a bad name. Islam's founder, Muhammad, already gave Islam about as bad a name as possible by his behavior and example.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
VW.. will you please go to Dubai and share your views? Then we csn read anout you when TL posts a Daily Mail link [Big Grin]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Why I say this writer is crazy and idiot?
I think skateboard or that sign has nothing to do with Islam or islamic state or wahabi or shia or iran.

Gosh, are you a blockhead or do you just try to pretend to be one??? The article is NOT about the skateboard sign..... [Confused]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
VW.. will you please go to Dubai and share your views? Then we csn read anout you when TL posts a Daily Mail link [Big Grin]

Remember vwwvv and me are one and the same person. Shouldn't be too difficult to get arrested and thrown into a prison there. Sex on the beach? You bet. [Razz] Will try my best to log on here from the Dubai Central Jail for updates - probably have to perform couple of lap dances on police officers to bribe them. [Wink] [Cool]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I have lived in a country where the Chrisitans were WAY more fanatical. I had my hair cut in 'The lord is my shepherd' hairdressers.

I think it is pathetic to claim to be a good person yet have so much hatred towards others!

The one that made me laugh out loud: Niggaz Inn [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:

The one that made me laugh out loud: Niggaz Inn [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Yeah lol... the Pine Wine bar when the happy clappers would get mullered and discuss Juju.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com