EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What's behind the diesel shortages?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's behind the diesel shortages?
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am just wondering as I have heard 3 different rumours to explain the long queues of trucks and lorries at the benzinas!

(1) Something to do with Israel [Roll Eyes]

(2) Fuel being diverted to agricultural machinery as it is 'agricultural season'

(3) Foreign currency removed from Egypt and rise of the dollar against the Egyptian pound means can't get the necessary imports to make up the balance between own production and external.

Any more rumours anyone? Or any facts would be nice!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is refinery issues.
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://213.158.162.45/~egyptian/index.php?action=news&id=18292&title=Diesel%20shortage%20in%20Egypt%20bites

This is what the paper says but whether is a fact or not is a different matter [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://gulfnews.com/news/region/egypt/man-kills-wife-over-meal-1.810097
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
http://gulfnews.com/news/region/egypt/man-kills-wife-over-meal-1.810097
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt's Diesel crisis is back

The government raced to contain the shortages in the supply of diesel fuel this week

http://english.ahram.org.eg/~/NewsContent/3/12/12505/Business/Economy/Egypts-Diesel-crisis-is-back.aspx

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntonD1
Member # 16387

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AntonD1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of days a go I sold my diesel powered car and don't yet have another one. As I was driving it to the new owner (a friend) I decided I'd be nice and leave it with a full tank of fuel. After going round several stations and seeing the long queues I gave up.
Posts: 29 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well today I went past 2 benzinas that had quite long queues yesterday. Today one - NCPO - had no queue and the other Mobil had only about 6 lorries and a handful of trucks. So maybe situation is now being relieved?
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I went past one yesterday on the ring road that had school buses queueing up. The lass I was with who is in the know said that if the shortage continues schools will be affected that may see closures. So I am quite sure there are lots of kids out there hoping it isn't relieved [Smile]
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tareq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
may be the rapture was behind the diesel shortage [Razz]
Posts: 277 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

yeah - She couldn't find 144000 good people on Earth so beamed up the diesel instead LOL.
AntonD1
Member # 16387

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AntonD1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cheeky, the school bus queue is reasonably normal. At least I used to see it all the time at a certain time of day when they all went together after dropping the kids off first thing.
Posts: 29 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
It was Friday Anton...
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Pressed send too quick... Sorry.

The girl in the know was the bursar of a school in Giza and a couple of the buses on the ring road were from her school... She was told if the shortage continues then the school may close earlier than june 23rd as planned.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Sorry, I have been told she isn't the bursar, she is 'Head of Department. My bad.. sheesh lol.
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
My guess is refinery issues.

Isn't alot of those refineries in the Seuz/Port Said and Alex?
Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com