EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Batten down the Hatch

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Batten down the Hatch
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An update 45 minutes ago on my FB via a friend...

Been driving for an hour and the state of the "nation" is - Military men are at 'On the Run' Mobil in Merghany and would not let me buy 92 fuel (even though they have it), only 95 for sale. Mayhem. Same story inside - limit on cigarette buying - limit of 3 per pack, but if you buy different kinds ok. And Beer stores in Korba?? all tented up.

Read into this as you please, I am sure you will anyway [Big Grin]

Not so sure what the 'limit of 3 per pack' meant but I know in Metro of late Malbrough are under the counter and only available if you know they are there [Wink] So maybe they are selling out too. It wouldn't be the first time.

Anyhoo... also talk of Revolution part 2 are now going around so if you are out and about downtown take care of yourselves, and each other [Wink]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update re the ciggies:

' oh ffs - meaning they will let you buy only 3 of one brand at a time'

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Egyptian activists and revolutionaries are gathering today in Tahrir square in a Friday protest called “Renewing the revolution and in memory of the martyrs.” Thousands have gathered so far, calling for the release of political prisoners and trials of corrupt regime figures, including ousted president Hosni Mubarak and his two sons. Some protesters are also calling for national unity in response to recent sectarian violence.

Protesters agreed to wear black and march to Qasr el-Nil bridge as a tribute to those that lost their lives in the revolution. The bridge was the site of the most dramatic battles between security forces and protesters on Friday, 28 January during the Egyptian revolution.

Chants in Tahrir Square reveal that protesters feel their revolution is not going in the desired direction: “We are coming back on 27 May;” “we don’t feel the change; we are going back to Tahrir.”

In flyers distributed in Tahrir square today, revolutionaries insist that Mubarak and his family and corrupt regime figures be tried for their crimes, even if they return all the stolen money to the country.

Protesters were circled by military police today.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Suggestions to stock up on phone cards too...

It may all be futile but hey, phone cards and ciggies don't eat much so it won't hurt to stock up... if it is all pie in the sky no harm no foul [Big Grin]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1- Gas cannister, if central gas is not available.

2- A trolley full of groceries from Metro market. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
1) Sorted
2) Sorted

As an emergency measure I think a phone call to Drinkies may be needed too... all revolutionary necessities.

Just thought I would share what folk here are experiencing as opposed to a Daily Maul update [Big Grin]

One thing I have to say is Friday is predicted to be a reaf feel factor of 43 degrees so if they are going to town en masse I really hope that they are well prepared for the intense heat...

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Dear all,

"There will be a large scale demonstration in Cairo on Friday 27 May. This demonstration will be centred on Tahrir Square. It is possible that there will be separate demonstrations near the TV centre on the Corniche, the US Embassy in Garden City, the Israeli Embassy on Al-Gamia'a Bridge, Giza and the Israeli Ambassador's residence in Ma'adi. You should avoid these areas as well as any other demonstrations and observe instructions and advice given by local security authorities."
You will have also seen on the news the possibility of disruption to flights to the UK from volcanic ash. If you are travelling soon please watch the media for updates. Updates, useful information and weblinks are also on the FCO website: www.fco.gov.uk"

I just received this from the FCO.

Mrs Hassan
Member # 15069

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs Hassan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a day! Bit of protesting with a bit of volcanic action thrown in! And 43 degrees.... see you all in Tahrir! ( or by the pool)

--------------------
MRS HASSAN

Posts: 129 | From: In the land of plenty | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com