EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » The best place to study Arabic in cairo !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The best place to study Arabic in cairo !
qortobaqias
Member # 19025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for qortobaqias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Qortoba Institute for Arabic Studies (QIAS) invites you to study the distinctive language of Arabic in the heart of one of the most culturally vibrant and diverse cities of Egypt: Alexandria (Al-Askandariyyah). And also amazing branch in Cairo as well .
QIAS has been established with the aim of teaching Modern Standard Arabic (Fus'ha) to students world-wide. Through both our on-site and distance learning programs, we are able to accomodate students globally, with a focus on teaching students from non-Arabic speaking countries.
The QIAS method is to teach classical Arabic by solely utilizing the Arabic language in the classroom. We have found this to be the best technique for gaining a complete understanding of words and phrases, as well as developing our students' conversational and written skills.
At QIAS, we believe that a third of learning Arabic depends on your teacher. We have spared no effort in acquiring and training our teachers to a very high standard. We understand that having knowledge of a thing does not mean that one can teach, so we have developed a training period that only the most committed teachers can pass. We also require our teachers to have a degree in the Arabic language itself and also in an Islamic science. Our teachers are not only selected for their knowledge, but also for their interpersonal skills. Our teachers are Qortoba. If our teachers fail, then we fail.
The Arabic language is the key to a treasure-trove of knowledge, the gateway to an ancient and rich civilization. For Muslims, it is the bedrock of a comprehensive understanding and application of divine revelation.
Study at QIAS and gain access to all of the above and more!

for more details visit : Study Arabic in Egypt

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In-keeping with Islamic law, QIAS does not encourage or support female students traveling to Egypt without a mahram (male guardian, such as a husband, father or brother).

QIAS requires the guardian of a female student who will be residing in the QIAS female apartments and whose guardian will not be remaining with her in Egypt, to sign the QIAS Female Student Guardian Consent Form.

The QIAS Female Student Guardian Consent Form is a contract between the guardian of the female student, the director of QIAS (Tarek En-Nawwam) and a male QIAS administrator, in which the guardian of the female student permits the director of QIAS to designate a male QIAS administrator who is on-site at QIAS in Alexandria to handle the personal and educational affairs of the female student. This is to ensure the safety and well-being of the female student at all times.

Female Students Policy

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sort of thing makes me so mad. Women are not precious little dolls to be 'taken care of'. My God, they are fully functioning adults with brain cells.

If some men don't want to see women about the place, then THOSE MEN should confine themselves to their home and leave the women to go about their business.

It beggars belief why some women willingly buy into this misogynistic claptrap that has nothing to do with religion and rises entirely from patriarchal culture.

Remember, God gave Her ability to CREATE to WOMEN not men! Women have power over the future of the human race, reclaim your power! If all women refused to give birth, the entire human race would die out in 140 years. Men! - better beware once the women catch on to this.

Women - abandon the male-manufactured divisiveness you participate in about bagging a husband and petty jealousies.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fully agree.

Besides – I wonder what sort of "personal and educational affairs" a woman wouldn't be able to handle herself. Is there anything about visiting a language school that men can take care of, but women don't? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tareq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it

If a woman want to go study in Qortoba and cant find a mahram, I can be her mahram.

Posts: 277 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something you should know about this school: it is suspected of being a fundamentalist Islamist jihadist school:

The article is in German from the well-respected newspaper Die Zeit.

http://www.zeit.de/2010/50/Alexandria-Sprachschule/seite-1

I have run the first few paragraphs through Google Translate below:

Egypt Basic Course Islamism

Our author spent four weeks undercover in the Egyptian port city of Alexandria - as a student of Arabic-language school which is popular with German jihadists.

Qortoba Institute for Arabic Studies on the sign above the door. The school is located in a side street in Alexandria's district of Miami. Miami, it sounds like the beach, and there is actually a beach, in the distance you can even buy beer. Miami is a happy quarter. Amazing that this school has found its place. Because of her teaching is not just Arabic.
Ad

The school is also a training ground for Islamists of the Western world. Daniel Schneider, a member of the Sauerland group, has since been sentenced to twelve years in prison because he was planning attacks on airports and nightclubs in Germany, has visited the Institute for Arabic Studies Qortoba. Eric Breininger had before, according to federal prosecutor to take lessons here. He died before God as fighters in Pakistan, probably in April this year.

There are Salafis who run the school, members of an ultra-conservative to fundamentalist Islam. Foundations in Saudi Arabia to pay foreigners who want to learn scholarships. The students live in shared apartments, distributed in the district. One student I will be. I have registered myself to see some of the students. When journalists report about young men from the West, the terrorists were, they often search in their environment. Talk to them they can not. Because the young men are in jail or dead

A year ago I was here once before students. More or less by accident, I wanted to learn Arabic. I study Islamic Studies and my teacher at the Free University of Berlin advised me to this school. She was "somewhat religious. Also, the travel guide Lonely Planet recommends the school. "... If you are serious about study, the institute can arrange accommodation in nearby student apartments for 130 to U.S. $ 160 per month I was traveling unprepared in the Egyptian port city, three hours by bus from Cairo. I wore jeans and T-shirt and found myself in a world where young men wearing beards and I Galabia, the traditional garb of Egypt. A teacher told us how important it was to beat his wife. Around me were many converts from the West, from the USA, England. They ignored me, finally I made no move to take an interest in religion. At the time I recovered from the shock, suddenly in the center of the young Western Islamism to be landed in a waterfront bar. I was a regular guest there.

Now I've returned to explore the converted school. To this end I have to assume a role. The full beard, I have weeks before the trip was to grow, do not continue on in Berlin.

It is the beginning of September, ten clock in the morning when I enter the school. Hasan *, the accountant, receives me. He got my email in which I wrote to stay for several months to do. He remembers my face and greets me by name. "How are you" - "Allah is" praised, I say, it's a cliché. Hasan asks me to complete a language test. Good, level three, "says he pushes me and my textbook for the advanced group in the hand, a secular book of the American University of Cairo.

"Actually, I'm here to learn more" to learn about Islam, I say. Hasan looks at me with some surprise. "Really? ? Why do I, "the story that I worked it out tell me: I was last year more often been to Palestine, from a friend. Dealing with Israel, the Palestinians have filled me with rage, I tell, without having to lie. I have met many people - and now begin the lies - who had lost in the war against Israel brothers or sisters in the faith and strength displayed. Hasan does not seem convinced, so I replaced the word Israel "in the subsequent comments by" the Jews, as is usual at the school last year, many do. Hasan finally nods. "Go on Saturday to Hamid. He is an Englishman and have been here for two years. He will have much to say. "My Arabic does not appear to be liquid enough that he trusts me to understand Islam in Arabic.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tareq:
I like it

If a woman want to go study in Qortoba and cant find a mahram, I can be her mahram.

You are sounding now like egyptian7 dude here,Tarek.
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to see the apartment policies since there is a different one for Muslims and non-Muslims. When I try to download the link it does not work.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tareq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as a muslim egyptian ,I will give my input here. It was impossible in the early life of Islam for a woman to travel from a place to place without thugs coming and attacking the travellers

The males always accompany their female relatives to defend and provide security.

So It is clearly prohibited for a female to travel alone without Mahram.

Now, The situation changed. Females can travel in planes safely.

But the Islamic law is the same.

Now people are two parties some muslims accept it and some others do not accept it.

At the end, Muslims are all ok with both choices.

Posts: 277 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

So It is clearly prohibited for a female to travel alone without Mahram.

Now, The situation changed. Females can travel in planes safely.

But the Islamic law is the same.

Not true. Even scholars disagree on this issue.

In any case, for a language school to require adult women to behave like legal minors and sign the responsibility for their "personal and educational affairs" over to some school employee – technically a stranger – is totally out of line.

Egypt is not Saudi Arabia, alhamdullilah! If you want to establish that sort of thing, why not open a language school there? [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Sounds like a new pickup-line … "Salam, baby, can I be your mahram?" [Big Grin]
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
quote:
Not true. Even scholars disagree on this issue.

What is that not true? who disagrees? what is the qualification of the scholar? what is the issue? traveling without Mahram?
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

What is that not true?

That it is an "Islamic law" that women are not allowed to travel without a mahram.

quote:

who disagrees?

Scholars.

quote:

what is the qualification of the scholar?

Of which scholar?
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
[Roll Eyes]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the beauty of choice. No one forces you to attend this school. And if you are willing to accept conditions of this particular school so be it. Each to their own.

After all their policy says "This is to ensure the safety and well-being of the female student at all times."

Some readers here seem to forget that in Egypt and in the whole Arab world many many people are very traditional in their Islamic beliefs. Girls just don't travel on their own. Besides that if a chick can't go to the souq herself and needs a husband or another male family member as protector to accompany her why on earth do you think she was allowed to travel abroad by herself???

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
a chick can't go to the Souq and needs a husband? what?

What are you talking about ,Vwwwwvvvv?

Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't sound like they particularly want to attract non-Arab, non-Muslim students. Possibly European born-again Muslim Pakistanis, with loadsa money, coz I bet the inhouse mahram don't come cheap.
BTW, if women can't go to the souq alone, who are all those women I see crashing around everywhere? Do they have tiny mahrams hiding under their gallabeyas?
Please TL, Very Weird, come visit, your facts are either outdated or just plain wrong.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tigerlily_misr:

Some readers here seem to forget that in Egypt and in the whole Arab world many many people are very traditional in their Islamic beliefs. Girls just don't travel on their own.

Egyptian and Arab girls are not very likely to go to a language school in order to learn Arabic. This school is targeting mainly foreigners, mostly converts and Muslims from Indonesia etc. I've been to the Fajr Center which operates on a very similar concept.

quote:

Besides that if a chick can't go to the souq herself and needs a husband or another male family member as protector to accompany her why on earth do you think she was allowed to travel abroad by herself?

A "chick" can't go to the souq by herself in Egypt? What are you talking about?
[Confused]

quote:

After all their policy says "This is to ensure the safety and well-being of the female student at all times."

[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mo Ning Min E:
It doesn't sound like they particularly want to attract non-Arab, non-Muslim students.

Hi no ning

I think the same like No ning.

They are targeting ultra conservative muslims. They wanna say they had no rooms for non muslims or muslims who are not ultra conservative.

Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
I want also to say that Even ultra conservative muslims will not find any problem for a woman going to a souq alone.

The mahram will only accompany her in a long travel distance that takes 1 day.

Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've met a few Pakistani English guys who have come here [Alex] to learn classical written Arabic. To read the Quran.One of them told me that over the past few years it has become 'fashionable to be a hardcore practising Muslim' [his description].
Nice boy, but soo devout. Not in any way a 'militant' though.Too religious, smart and rich.
I guess Muslim converts can be a bit more enthusiastic too.
It was this bit that made me think it wasn't aimed at foreigners here who just want to learn Arabic to chat to people.
The QIAS method is to teach classical Arabic by solely utilizing the Arabic language in the classroom. We have found this to be the best technique for gaining a complete understanding of words and phrases, as well as developing our students' conversational and written skills.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qortobaqias
Member # 19025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for qortobaqias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello dears

Iam really very thankful for this effective conversation about our Institute even if it has some mistaken details !

Our Institute offers this kind of services ( accommodation for Muslim Females and its policy ) because we have many Muslim conservative Female students from all over the world who really need this kind of polices

I think its something special for our Institute to respect all needs of our customers according to their religions and cultures

i dont think its something bad to criticize our Institute like this way

We have Many Female students of ( Non-Muslems )from all over the world and they get the best treatment ever and recommend Qortoba to their friends .

If anyone wants to know anything more about Qortoba or have any questions .. it will be of my pleasure to answer

Thanks for your time and for this amazing Forum

nest regards ,

Mohamed

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Originally posted by qortobaqias:

Our Institute offers this kind of services ( accommodation for Muslim Females and its policy ) because we have many Muslim conservative Female students from all over the world who really need this kind of polices

So if a woman travels to Egypt to study at your institute and refuses to sign the "guardian contract", will she be accepted as a student?
qortobaqias
Member # 19025

Rate Member
Dalia

Of course Its not a must for her to sign the Gurdian contract

I told you before we have many of non-muslem students from all over the world and its totally Normal ... Its the same rules everywhere !!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com