EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Anyone living in LUXOR????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone living in LUXOR????
paradise_seekers
Member # 14095

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paradise_seekers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I done it again, but this time to LUXOR and travelling my self. [thanks for all those help in my Sharm post was really helpful)

I decided to make a visit out of the blue, this time without the kid so should be an adventure...all the way to ALEXANDRIA.

Plane arrives the usual time it does every week at 16.40 in Luxor airport (hope there is only one!!).. my plan is to get on the train all the way there, but I will take the next morning (i want to see the view of the 1000km).

Questions:

1. Cost of taxi to railwawy
2. Cost of train ticket to Alexandria (the morning 7am one (and how to get around the tourist restriction)
3. Is it safe :s

4.Where can i stay over-night? any cheap hotel/hostel/bedsit/cafes/24 hour supermarket/anything or anywhere - i can crash on for about 5 hours of the night - near railway station?

Whatever happens ill take whatever means I need to get to there, and credit card just in case. I have about only 400 Egyptian pounds left from last trip.

Thanks (to keep it as a surprise visit hope they don't come here to read this - that'll spoil all the effort...lol!!)

But all help will be appreciated... I don't know what to make of upper Egyptians, are the like the people in Cairo and Alex, easy going? helpful? Trusted? (I'm sure they are but I hardly met anyone from that region - and hear so many things about "saaeedis" - maybe I'll finally get to meet one)

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
right, so you're arriving by plane in Luxor, right? Yes there is only 1 airport.

And you are catching the night train to Alex, right?

taxi from airport to train station should be no more than 50le, if you can haggle you might get it cheaper but doubt it at the moment, you might not even get it for 50 unless someone arranges it.

train ticket to Alex you can find here

http://www.seat61.com/Egypt.htm

look up the Aswan-cairo as that's the train, check it goes to Alex.

Prices and advice are all on that site, it's pretty good and about the most up to date on trains.

not sure how you can get round the tourist restriction, and if you are travelling on the night train you wont need to as that's the one you are allowed on.

there are some nice coffee shops near the train station, just outside, not inside. Salt and Bread Cafe is ok, cheap. round the corner to that is a hotel, cheap and basic but can't think of it's name now, begins with A I think.

yes safer than travelling in London

Upper Egyptians are lovely but business is little due to revolution, but it will be ramadan so they'll be on their best behavior [Big Grin] Yes they are easy going and helpful but trusted that's for those you know, but it will be ramadan so best behavior.

Don't worry, you will meet plenty if you have a seat outside the Salt and Bread [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paradise_seekers
Member # 14095

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paradise_seekers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
egypttalk.com.... what's that - an extension to egyptsearch?

Luxor... sounds pretty much straight forward, nothing to worry about, i'll get a few books to read on the train, and take lots of pictures.

I am planning to get the train next morning ... according to the man at seat61, there is one at 07.30 Luxor to Alexandria (i'll arrive at 22.30 - perfect)

Train number 157
And has only 2nd and 3rd class

Has anybody to been on this train, and whats the availabilities on that?

Aysiah has put my mind to rest (maybe i'll take micro bus to railway from airport), but only two questions remains:

1. Cheapest place to sleep in Luxor???
2. And is anyone here going to offer me a sleepover for the night [Wink] [that was a joke btw]

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a hostel type hotel Happy Land and also Nefertiti, Boomerang run by a really nice Ozzie girl and her hubby is a good choice but as you come of the train lots of touts will approach you.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com