EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » New page on my website

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New page on my website
Dirk
Member # 4259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m working on an Egypt- page for my website.

The first text is ready, but I would like some of the Egyptian members of this site to read it before I publish it, so you can give me some feedback, critics and advice to add or change things before publishing it.

So if you have time, please feel free to read and shoot freely

Thx

Egypt is a fascinating country, with a lot of possibilities to travel.

You can visit the tombs of ancient Pharaohs and Queens in the old Theban Hills (Luxor) as well as nearby Aswan. In Aswan, close to the Sudan border you can visit the Nubian Island and Museam as well as its wonderfull bazaar. Outside Caïro you get impressed by the greatness of the Pyramids or the beauty of the Nile Delta. If you like to take it easy, just take a cruise along the Nile, the longest river on earth and still an vain of life. For those who like beach and scuba diving there is a wide range of locations on the Mediteranian sea (Alexandria) or the fascinating Red Sea (Hurgada and Sharm El Sheikh). More adventurous but very exciting is an excursion of the oases in the Sinaï desert.

Whatever you do. Egypt offers you a wide range of life experience.

As we have some experience with visiting Egypt, we want to share some of our experiences with you. As many websites offer al lot of tourist information, we won’t do the same over again. We rather share our human interest information, some reliable addresses and tips.

1. Basics

To many tourists know Egypt only from the information they get from their tour operator. They see beautiful pictures of pyramids, camels and smiling people. This is correct, but it’s only part of the picture. The Arab Republic of Egypt is a modern developed Democracy grown out of one of the sources of our civilisation. The highest constitutional power rests in the Parliament (since 1866). Egypt has a population of 72.000.000 inhabitants.

Egypt is predominantly Muslim, covering about 90% of the population, while Christians represent about 10% (official figures put it as low as 3%) of the population.
A clear majority of the Muslim population is Sunni. The Christians are mainly Copts, of which is divided into two groups, where one as tied close organization relations to the Roman Catholic Church. There are other small Christian groups, standard Roman Catholics, Greek Orthodox, and Armenian Orthodox, in Alexandria and Cairo, whose adherents are mainly descendants of Italian, Greek, and Armenian immigrants. There are also some few, small Jewish communities.

Except from small pure Berber populations in the west and Nubians in the south, the population of Egypt is a mixture of principally Egyptians and Arabs, but also with some Nubian and Berber blood.

As most of the economical and agricultural activities are situated along the Nile and because of the need of water, the main economical goal of the Egyptian Government is to create a wider system of waterways in Egypt. The creation of a canal parallel to the Nile is one of their biggest projects for the coming decennia.

2. Visiting monuments, oases etc.

If you’re real interested in archaeology, culture of trips that take more than one day, you need a local driver, who can take you to the places you want to see. Most of these tours can be done with local taxi drivers, but it will cost you to much. A better way is to find an local driver on advance, who knows the place and can help you out with up to date information about cheap and reliable restaurants, hotels, time tables, prices, real interesting market places, fees, etc.

A good tip

3. On the market

As you visit Egypt, you’re a guest and you will be treated like that. Most of the time this means that everyone will be friendly to you, you’ll get overloaded with compliments and invitations. But you also will be seen as a source of money. Many tourists find it unpleasant, the way Egyptian salesmen trying to persuade them to buy Alabaster Statues, Spices, Papyrus etc… They invite you in their shop to drink tea, they have a nice chat with you and know someone in your home country. Or they have a big family and bad business as there are not as many tourists as they used to have. It always seems to end up that you’d have to buy something. And we know that many tourists find this abusive.

But try to see it in another way…

Egypt is a modern country, but many Egyptians have no regular job. Even if you do have one, it’s often hardly paying enough to live for two weeks. For instance, I heared from an member of the tourist police that had a salary of LEP 2.000. Some of them, even when they have a regular job, need to take a second job. They have a shop, work in hotels, guide tourists etc. For them it’s making a living. And as we are used to quiet shops, where you can enter and look around, there is a difference in the Middle East. A good friend of mine told me once that on one hand, every finger is different from the other; So are people. One salesman will try to persuade you more that another. But it’s not a way to hares, it’s just another way to do business. And believe me, not every offering to drink tea is meant to let you buy something. Initially it is, but often they’re very open and just want to give you the opportunity to enter the shop, hoping that you buy. And if you don’t, it’s ok as well. As a matter a fact, one of our best Egyptian friends, we met by drinking tea in his shop. In a way it’s all part of a game. You earn more money than they do, and you spend your holiday there, so it’s up to them to get some profit out of it. But even than, you will be treated with respect, as long as you do the same.

4. Prices of goods

Tourists often pay to much for what they buy. That’s a fact. Have they been cheating on you? Now they haven’t. Just take a look at the prices for touristic souvenirs in your own country. Touristst buy rubbish and pay to much, that’s how it is. Always and everywhere. But in Egypt one expects you to negotiate about the price of most goods. And you can feel free. No one will sell you anything without having an win. So as long as they keep negotiating, you can feel free. If they really don’t want to negotiate, you can be pretty sure that they gave you a fair price. Of course there’s a difference between shops where Egyptians get their things and tourist shops.

5. About the Egyptians

It seems to us that the Egyptian people belong to the most friendly people of the world. They are always smiling, prepared to help you out, to have a talk with you. I do realise at I ‘m always a tourist to them, so it’s impossible for me to see the Egyptians in their daily life… but I’ve spent quite some time with some Egyptians, I ‘ve been living with them and it seems that I’m very close with my typology.

The key issue in meeting Egyptians is… Most Egyptians will treat you with kindness and respect, … as long as you show respect for them and for yourself.

6. About tourists

Sometimes tourists seem to forget that they are guests. Spending money doesn’t change that. Egypt is a modern Islamic country, and you should behave yourself in a way that respects this. This doesn’t mean that you have to become a Muslim yourself, but you should show some respect for the customs and local values.

Some examples… in some places it’s not done to walk over the streets hand in hand. Public kissing, embracing between man and wife are not don all over Egypt. Women (and man as well) better not dress in shorts. Covering your legs and shoulders will be appreciated. Show respect for elder people and treat children kindly. In discussions, try not to be to directly. Most Middle East cultures have a very rich way of talking. They take their time to inform to your well being, your family, your health, etc. (depends on how close you are) before they come to the point. If you do the same, it’s much easier to have a good conversation. It shows that you’re interested in the one you’re talking to.
If you don’t understand something what happens, just ask. They will be pleased to explain it to you. You should listen good, Egyptians won’t ever give you NO for an answer. They will try to find a polite way to let you understand what they mean. If you get an invitation or a question, and you simply answer NO, it’s rather impolite.

7. Medical help

Egypt is a modern country, with a wide range of medical infrastructure. Don’t be shy to visit a doctor as you feel ill. Medical education is on a high level and most doctors are bilingual Arabic – English.

In Egypt you will find many pharmacies. Not all of them are official pharmacies. As the education of pharmacists is in English, a true pharmacist should speak English very well. If you have doubts about a pharmacy to be official or not, ask the local doctor while you visit him, of ask the local tourist information office for information.

Posts: 71 | From: Belgium | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fridaies
Member # 4446

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fridaies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can you please post your email address ? it will be easier to edit the text as a word document.
Posts: 63 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dirk
Member # 4259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dirk.vos1@planetinternet.be
Posts: 71 | From: Belgium | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dirk:

In Egypt you will find many pharmacies. Not all of them are official pharmacies. As the education of pharmacists is in English, a true pharmacist should speak English very well. If you have doubts about a pharmacy to be official or not, ask the local doctor while you visit him, of ask the local tourist information office for information.

Never heard 8)

[This message has been edited by jaguar (edited 15 July 2004).]

Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dirk
Member # 4259

Rate Member
any other suggestions about this? Things that I should add, things that I wrote but that might give a wrong impression etc?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com