EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » How do the Egyptian men treat women (foreigners)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do the Egyptian men treat women (foreigners)
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im in relation with Egyptian journalist now but need to know indeed to whom who marriage Egyptian men about how they treat women especially to foreigners partner, such as do they really like sleeping much?
Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Confused]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I can see, they like sleeping during the daytime as much as Indonesian men do when they don't have to go to work, and it doesn't matter where their partner comes from.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Define sleeping [Wink]
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz
Member # 13525

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe if a foreigner is sleeping next to them they will try and sleep in a foreign language to be extra nice to the foreigner. Do not worry you are in luck. You will sleep well. [Wink]
Posts: 215 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
Define sleeping [Wink]

Lying down with eyes closed, being unresponsive to the world and its demands [Wink]
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The REAL question is does he dream in his language or in hers?? [Eek!]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Angel Heart , there is nothing wrong with taking a nap in the afternoon, right ??
I have been doing this since I was a teenager, I call it my "beauty-sleep" .. [Wink] [Wink]
I feel on top of the world afterwards [Smile]

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiselmonkey
Member # 13683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chiselmonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
Define sleeping [Wink]

Lying down with eyes closed, being unresponsive to the world and its demands [Wink]
[Big Grin]

very good description newcomer

Posts: 102 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
audbod
Member # 12901

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for audbod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always tell my guy that he sleeps too much but i get told this is normal in Egypt.He doesn't seem to come alive until afternoon atleast but he does stay awake 1/2 the night sometimes.
Posts: 209 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just never imagine that they sleep loooooooooong time
Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It`s not "normal". All men who`re having a job, can`t stay up half the night, because they have to go to work at morning! It`s the typically no job and just hanging around behaviour! Especially young men, there are a lot of young men without work. They`re hanging around on the streets untill dawn, go to sleep, wake up late in the afternoon etc...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
It`s not "normal". All men who`re having a job, can`t stay up half the night, because they have to go to work at morning! It`s the typically no job and just hanging around behaviour! Especially young men, there are a lot of young men without work. They`re hanging around on the streets untill dawn, go to sleep, wake up late in the afternoon etc...

You mean the ones who hang out on the street in packs and watch the girls as they walk by...those are the ones dressed in disco-attire...yea classy. [Roll Eyes]

[Razz]

newcomer
Member # 1056

Some people in Egypt have the "Siesta mentality", i.e. that they will sleep in the afternoon and then stay up until late at night. Even if they are working, they may come home and have a short sleep and then stay up until late at night. This happens even more in the summer, where it is too hot to do anything in the daytime, between midday and say 6.00 pm, so most activity happens at night, even general family socializing.

This fits in with the human biorhythms that hit a low between midday and early afternoon, and is in accordance with some Islamic guidance that recommends a sleep between Zuhr and Asr prayers.

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It`s nothing culturally, you can see this everywhere, in all cultures.
Jobless, no goals in their life, and getting more and more lazy day by day. At a sudden moment it is impossible to become motivated to see ANY challenge in life. I never did understand why parents don`t interfere in this,they also must see their sons sink into a depressed kind of nonchalance,carelessness.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

It is very common here in Egypt, unlike in the West, if you phone someone in the middle of the afternoon, you will wake them up. It is well known that it is not a good time to visit people during this time for the same reason. Families will stay awake together until the early hours of the morning, and will think nothing of calling their friends at 1.00 or 2.00 am to have a chat.

Siesta
A siesta (IPA: [siˈɛstə], original Spanish pronunciation ['sjest̪a]) is a short nap taken in the early afternoon, often after the midday meal. Such a period of sleep is a common tradition in hot countries. The word siesta is Spanish, from the Latin HORA SEXTA - "the sixth hour" (counting from dawn, therefore noon, hence "midday rest").

The siesta is the traditional daily sleep of the Southern region of Alentejo, in Portugal, known as sesta. It was adopted also by the Spanish and, through European influence, by Latin American countries and the Philippines. Afternoon sleep is also a common habit in China, India, Italy ("riposo" in Italian), Greece, Malta, The Middle East and North Africa . In these countries, the heat can be unbearable in the early afternoon, making a midday break in the comfort of one's home ideal. However, in some countries where naps are taken, such as Northern Spain, Southern Argentina, and Chile, the climate is similar to that of Canada and Northern Europe. Besides the climate, in many countries with this habit it is common to have the largest meal of the day in the afternoon, in contrast with other countries where only a lighter lunch is taken. Thus, a siesta may also be a natural result of this large meal...

Biological need for naps

In recent years, studies have suggested a biological need for afternoon naps. The body is on a 24-hour body clock, which makes you wind down between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. and again in the three hours directly after lunch. Researchers found that subjects of the studies felt that it was easiest to fall asleep at night and in the afternoon.[2]

In some individuals, postprandial dip, a brief drop in blood glucose levels caused by the body's normal insulin response to a heavy meal, may produce drowsiness after the meal that can encourage a nap.The behaviour is also common in tropical medical schools where students like to take a nap after the morning classes in the afternoon. It serves as a preparation for trans night study or simply called 'tranzi'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siesta

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Of course, but this is different! These ppl are awake early in the morning, work untill 2 pm, and take a little sleep...

--------------------

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they sleep a lot coz its bloody HOT here! [Cool]

As for general treatment, how long is a piece of string? All men are different no matter what nationality they are. Mine treats me wonderfully in every way but then if he was English he still would, coz thats him. [Big Grin]

smucks, I think mine dreams in Arabic coz when he talks in his sleep I cant understand a word [Frown]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ayisha, are you now in Luxor?!?!?!?!

HAPPY FOR YOU [Smile]

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband says he's so used to speaking English that he's starting to dream in English now. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
The REAL question is does he dream in his language or in hers?? [Eek!]

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DawnBev:

HAPPY FOR YOU [Smile]

yessssssssssss im now in Luxor for good [Big Grin] its bloody hot tho [Frown] there may not be much left of me soon, I will have melted into a puddle [Frown]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ayisha,

Please stay out of the fierce Luxor sun. It's much cooler and safer to post on ES. [Razz] It's also quicker to fry your brain here! I've missed your posts, very much. I'm so happy for you and your husband. [Smile]

Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:
Originally posted by DawnBev:

HAPPY FOR YOU [Smile]

yessssssssssss im now in Luxor for good [Big Grin] its bloody hot tho [Frown] there may not be much left of me soon, I will have melted into a puddle [Frown]
Glad to see you again,Ayisha.You where missed! [Wink] *passes jar full of iced lemonade to Ayisha*
Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

My husband dreams in both English and Arabic, he also talks in his sleep sometimes. [Wink]
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ayisha, I got the tub of ice water to soak your feet in. [Wink] Welcome back. I've missed you. [Smile]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tilutine
Member # 12661

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tilutine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptians do sleep more than some Westerners, but they also work longer. At night you still find most shop opened, which isn't the case everywhere. Anyway, it's so hot in the early afternoon that people don't go out, so why should you work, let's say if you have a shop, while nobody's visiting it, since everyone's sleeping? Just common sense, related to the weather.

I think it has changed a bit yet, but I remember, when I was a kid and visiting Spain in summer, there was a break between 12 AM and 2 PM (or something like that), everything was closed, and everyone sleeping! So I don't find it shocking to see Egyptians needing a sleep in their so hot countries.

Posts: 78 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They also eat at 1-2am, and the little kids still open their eyes too at this time. I was trying to sleep cause I couldnt get their way, but my boyfriend woke me up and asked me to welcome the relatives.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
ohhh thanks for the iced lemonade and the ice water for my feet [Big Grin] i missed you all too [Frown] using someones pc so im not here much AND i have to go out and cross the river to use it [Frown] but should have my own connection soon, inshaAllah, then as arnie says........i'll be back [Cool]
an315
Member # 13840

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for an315     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am married to an Egyptian man who sleeps all day and stays up all night. At first, I thought something was wrong with him...but had to remind myself..that's the way it is in his country and he's used to it. Plus, he generally works at night. But it means we're always on different schedules. I work during the day and come home exhausted sometimes. That's when he is just waking up and wants to go this place and do this and that. Sometimes I feel like a single woman because we can't seem to enjoy the day together.

A

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tinakamal
Member # 13812

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tinakamal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ya all the people i know slleep all day and wake all night hahahaha i guess they like the night life

--------------------
 -

Posts: 179 | From: iowa usa | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
i discovered that Luxor streets are practically empty between 12 midday and 5pm, accept for a few tourists who have dragged themselves away from the hotel pools [Big Grin] but get past 7pm and the streets are teeming with life till about 2, 3 or 4am. [Confused]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com