EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Why hairdressers are so fulfilled by their jobs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why hairdressers are so fulfilled by their jobs
Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why hairdressers are so fulfilled by their jobs
Last updated at 17:27pm on 5th August 2007

To find someone who is truly happy in their job, you need look no further than your nearest salon.

Hairdressers, it has emerged, come second only to the chief executives of multinational corporations in the job satisfaction stakes.

Being a Mr Teasy-Weasy - or Miss Teasy-Weasy for that matter, will give a greater degree of fulfillment than that enjoyed by more prestigious professionals such as doctors, teachers or lawyers.

Hairdressers score high in the job satisfaction stakes

While they have been unfairly stereotyped as endlessly asking customers where they are going on their holidays, hairdressers in fact have a creative job which gives instant gratification, argues celebrity crimper Nicky Clarke.

Mr Clarke said yesterday: "Hairdressers are incredibly lucky as we have instant gratification in our jobs every hour on the hour.

"A client comes in with an unruly thatch and at the end of the appointment they are smiling.

"Hairdressing is a very sociable profession and clients share their life and intimate details with us - we become their confidantes - in a way that does not happen in other jobs".

The majority of other occupations featuring in the top ten were managerial, the survey published in the Industrial Relations Journal found.

Meanwhile teaching has risen dramatically from its previous position of 54th most satisfying profession in 1999 to take the 11th spot in the new chart.

Journalists and media professionals were in 50th position with legal professions, such as lawyers at 44. Health professionals, such as doctors, were in 13th place.

The survey found that workers who were well paid, had supportive colleagues and were able to express themselves on the job were those most satisfied with their professions.

Welders dropped to near the bottom of the pile in 80th place - with factory workers - 'assemblers and routine operatives' least content with their line of work.

The research was carried out by the University of Bath, using figures provided by the Department of Trade & Industry's Workplace Employment Relations survey of 2004-2005.

Professor Michael Rose, who conducted the research said: "Individual job satisfaction is made up of a range of factors including material rewards, such as pay and conditions of employment, and symbolic rewards, such as prestige.

"It is also influenced by psychological rewards, such as being able to express creativity, and social rewards, such as having a supportive colleague network."

He said the recent rise of job satisfaction in teaching was one of the most noticeable aspects of the survey. He added: "Major changes of position for larger occupations, such as teaching, point to real shifts in job rewards and experiences.

"The wider public is often given the picture of teaching as an occupation low in material returns and with the attractions of sense of achievement, job quality and social status in decline."

He added:"The most important factor in determining the levels of job satisfaction in the survey is the managerial skill in creating a sense of involvement," said Professor Rose.

"Careers in household services, childcare, secretarial services and leisure and travel services have all proved less satisfying since the last survey.

Professor Rose explained: "These are all occupations in which women heavily predominate, confirming a long term trend towards lower women's job satisfaction.

"Job satisfaction among skilled construction workers, an almost exclusively male group of occupations, also fell sharply in recent years."

web page

Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i was 18 i went to a barber college
and it was hard i didnt like dealing with the people although i love to cut my families hair dealin with people was much harder i quit lol

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Topic: Why hairdressers are so fulfilled by their jobs

Ohhhhh really? [Big Grin]

THE GRUMPY HAIRDRESSER

A woman was at her hairdresser's getting her hair styled for a trip to
Rome with her boyfriend. She mentioned the trip to the hairdresser, who responded, "Rome? Why would anyone want to go there? It's crowded and dirty and full of Italians. You're crazy to go to Rome. So, how are you getting there?"

"We're taking Continental," was the reply. "We got a great rate!"

"Continental?" exclaimed the hairdresser. "That's a terrible airline.
Their planes are old, their flight attendants are ugly, and they're always late. So, where are you staying in Rome?"

"We'll be at this exclusive little place over on Rome's Tiber River
called Teste."

"Don't go any further. I know that place. Everybody thinks its going
to be something special and exclusive, but it's really a dump, the worst hotel in the city! The rooms are small, the service is surly and they're overpriced. So, whatcha doing when you get there?"

"We're going to go to see the Vatican and we hope to see the Pope."

"That's rich," laughed the hairdresser. "You and a million other
people trying to see him. He'll look the size of an ant. Boy, good luck on this lousy trip of yours. You're going to need it."

A month later, the woman again came in for a hairdo. The hairdresser
asked her about her trip to Rome.

"It was wonderful," exclaimed the woman, "not only were we on time in
one of Continental's brand new planes, but it was overbooked and they bumped us up to first class.

"The food and wine were wonderful, and I had a handsome 28-year-old
steward who waited on me hand and foot. And the hotel was great! They'd just finished a $5 million remodeling job and now it's a jewel, the finest hotel in the city. They, too, were overbooked, so they apologized and gave us their owner's suite at no extra charge!"

"Well," muttered the hairdresser, "that's all well and good, but I
know you didn't get to see the Pope."

"Actually, we were quite lucky, because as we toured the Vatican, a
Swiss Guard tapped me on the shoulder and explained that the Pope likes to meet some of the visitors and if I'd be so kind as to step into his private room and wait, the Pope would personally greet me. Sure enough, five minutes later, the Pope walked through the door and shook my hand! I knelt down and he spoke a few words to me."

"Oh, really! What'd he say?"

He said, "Where'd you get the crappy hairdo?"

[Cool]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com