EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Bad things that happen not just in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad things that happen not just in Egypt
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instead of hijacking the other thread, thought I'd start a new one.

I'm not trying to play down the seriousness of some of these things in Egypt, but I feel like trying to balance out the inferences possible in this forum that bad things only happen in Egypt.

Myth 1 - sexual harrassment only occurs in Egypt -

so why was I followed down my local high street yesterday by some ancient creep who was so short his head only came up to my chest saying 'hello can we be friends' the whole way. [Mad]

Why do very attractive women I know get totally hassled by men the whole time they are out - walking along the street, visiting clubs and bars, and why do male work colleagues feel obligated to invite them to lunch every day (doesn't happen to me LOL) and every friendship they ever develop with men in the misguided belief its genuine end up with the man saying 'you are so totally ****able' [Mad]

Myth 2 - people expecting payment in exchange for the tiniest weeniest service only occurs in Egypt

- my sister and her husband just came back from the US and she said they were pestered non-stop by people giving the tiniest bit of help (eg - you need that direction .. or whatever) and then asking for money [Mad]

Myth 3 - gigolo/sugar momma relationships only occur in Egypt

- see the 'advice needed' thread about that rather than duplicating it here.

Myth 4 - road accidents only occur in Egypt

- http://tinyurl.com/3ao2mh

(I've no idea how this compares to Egypt by the way).

Any other popular myths anyone can think of?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- my sister and her husband just came back from the US and she said they were pestered non-stop by people giving the tiniest bit of help (eg - you need that direction .. or whatever) and then asking for money

Jees, what bad part of town were they in?? I've lived in America my entire life (less the last two years) and this has never happened to me or anyone near to me.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
- my sister and her husband just came back from the US and she said they were pestered non-stop by people giving the tiniest bit of help (eg - you need that direction .. or whatever) and then asking for money

Jees, what bad part of town were they in?? I've lived in America my entire life (less the last two years) and this has never happened to me or anyone near to me.

Somewhere in the Southern States - not sure (wasn't south America, definately the US).
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myth 5 - Corruption only happens in Egypt.
The black market economy and rampant tax evasion is alive and mushrooming in the UK. We are regulated to the hilt but this just makes people more and more creative at finding ways around the regulations. The wealthiest people pay the least taxes and the mimimum wage is flouted by using cheap imigrant labour. Backhanders are still paid in order to secure business contracts and bribery is dressed up in nice neat packages under the disguse of corporate entertaining.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Myth 6 - taxi drivers only rip off foreigners in Egypt

An English friend went to visit another friend in Dublin (capital of Eire) (where they use Euros - which we don't in England) and was charged 4 times too much for the taxi fare because she wasn't familiar with the money.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

Finally remember to ask her.. she said it was mainly in Memphis and Atlanta, but also in New Orleans. She said people would come up if they were looking lost, give them directions and then go into a whole sob story about being unemployed, having not eaten etc etc and stick their hand out.
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, people need to vent about issues that upset them, hurt them, frustrated them in a specific country on a forum related to that country.
[Wink]

Some things only happen in Egypt, maybe. Like URFI and the multiplicity of it, with foreigners while married to others, using Religion as a justification, which is totally convoluted in most cases.

In other touristic countries, some are ripped off jewellery or money, but maybe are not 'Urfied' with a bunch of lies.

I understand when people are venting, I feel bad for them, and wish it did not happen in my country!

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For every frustration there seems to be a possibility to vent it in public. Besides messageboards we also have television-programmes, radio-programmes, and sending letters to other public media-sources, like newspapers, magazines, websites etc.
As long as it works therapeutical, it saves a psychologist! [Wink]
However, sometimes I get the impression that it also can have a negative effect by keep hanging on in a certain state of mind...

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. Negatively speaking, it depresses the reader, positively speaking, it reliefs the speaker! Life is not always fair!!
Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com