EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Sign Language

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sign Language
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 5 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't sure where to post this so here is as good a place as any.

I was thinking of sign language the other day (don't ask me why). I wondered if sign language is the same for all languages...since it contains an alphabet and alphabets can differ from language to language.

Any information from anyone is welcomed. I always thought it would be fascinating to learn sign language. Do we have any ES users who are able to sign? [Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i know how to sign . i use to go visit a lady in a nursing home who was deaf and blind . she use to hold my hand and i would talk to her that way. what an experience.. i am a little rusty now . i haven't did it for sop long. but i still know the ABC's [Smile]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh great, how exciting, and what a nice opporunity you had to visit that woman. [Smile]
Do you know if it is universal, the sign language you learned I mean?

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brendaandakram
Member # 14139

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for brendaandakram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are a few different ways of signing but the changes are not very noticable makaton is used when ur signing with children its an easy version for them to learn

--------------------
brenda Zahran

Posts: 52 | From: belfast ireland | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THAT SMUCKS.
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karen36
Member # 1076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karen36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look it up on the web and learn it for your daughter--it is wonderful!! My son (21mos) and nephew (1yr) both use many of the signs and it is so helpful to know what they want. They say it helps them as they don't get frustrated trying to convey what they mean. And as I'm sure your child will speak arabic and english, think how nice it will be for a third language [Smile]
Posts: 219 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here Smuckers that's what I quickly found on the internet:

http://signingbaby.com/main/?pp_album=main

There are quite a few books and videos out. Try to purchase if you can! Good luck!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your opinions and the link looks great.
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's actually different smuckers, I met a few people who sign in Egypt and it is different. Met an amazing, let me say that again amazing, Egyptian woman who's deaf and is so super creative (oh if I could remember where her blog is). I will actually be taking an American Sign Language class in a month! I'm very excited.

--------------------
Disclaimer: My posts are not meant to personally offend anyone. If you find yourself reading my posts repeatedly, you are kindly asked to seek the help of a professional [Smile]

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I thought Smuckers was looking for baby sign language.

Anyway here are the letters in Arabic sign language.

http://www.arabic-language.org/arabic/signlanguage.asp

Also here is an article about the ASHOKA Organization:

March 2005

Time for a Change

Ashoka, a non-governmental organization, gives new hope to ambitious social entrepreneurs with big plans to realize

By Aida Nasr

http://www.egypttoday.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=4469

With a contact:

http://www.ashoka.org/contact/mena

Not really belonging to the topic but there are quite a few Disability Organizations out in Egypt. Take a look:

http://miusa.org/ncde/spotlight/muslimdisability/muslimdpos

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well im kinda from the 80's and in louisiana they taight us the basics in singing in the 7th grade do they do that nowa days too?

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
well im kinda from the 80's and in louisiana they taight us the basics in singing in the 7th grade do they do that nowa days too?

Hey, I haven't see you on here for a while! What have you been up to? [Smile]
Korvin's
Member # 14099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korvin's     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was a kid I wished to be a teacher for retarded kids and I kept that dream for quite long time but when it came to graduation in high school I changed my views of the world at that critical time ....
Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Korvin, I'm not sure what it is that you do, but if you happen to be an engineer (or someone out there that is reading is) the streets and buildings really need to be made alot more handicap-friendly! You reminded me of kids with cerebral palsy, who are not retarded, but some are in wheelchairs and their poor mothers have to carry them all over the place.

--------------------
Disclaimer: My posts are not meant to personally offend anyone. If you find yourself reading my posts repeatedly, you are kindly asked to seek the help of a professional [Smile]

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com