EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Cairo: Mass wedding in Egypt aims to avert sin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cairo: Mass wedding in Egypt aims to avert sin
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mass wedding in Egypt aims to avert sin

3 hours ago

CAIRO (AFP) — Shy beneath her pearl-dotted veil, Zeinab clutched Reda's arm as they made their entrance as man and wife for the first time to the raucous cheers of all the other brides and grooms.

Some 200 couples had gathered in a Cairo stadium to tie the knot in a mass wedding organised by an Islamic charity whose main goal is to promote lawful unions between men and women in a bid to save them from sin.

"It is firstly a religious duty," said Hamdi Taha, head of Karam al-Islam and a professor of communications at the prestigious Al-Azhar university, stressing the importance of instilling religious values in young couples.

The alternative, he says, can be disastrous.

"Celibacy in Egypt is nothing but a time bomb ready to explode and tarnish the image of my country," said Taha, who is also a member of the ruling National Democratic Party.

He believes that "not getting married can lead to deviant behaviour" such as sex outside marriage, or to even the greatest taboo of all in this conservative society: homosexuality.

Taha's aim is to tackle what he sees as a worrying phenomenon developing in Egypt -- the ever-growing number of unmarried people.

For the mass marriage, busloads of brides and grooms headed for the stadium to the amused and sometimes confused looks of passers-by.

On arrival, the couples made their way to a rug-covered floor to a singer's repetitive chants in praise of God.

Several thousand family members packed onto the stadium benches watched from behind a police cordon as loved ones celebrated their union.

Since 2002, Karam al-Islam has organised collective weddings for a growing number of young people in need -- 2,300 couples across the country this year alone, including for around 100 Coptic (Egyptian Christian) couples.

Seventeen Egyptian businessmen donated furniture and household appliances for the newlyweds in a country where the exorbitant cost of marriage can delay the whole affair for years.

Tradition dictates that a man must offer his wife-to-be gold jewellery, pay the dowry, buy most of the furniture and also find housing before a father accepts to let his daughter go.

Such a financial tall order for young couples deeply affected by high rates of unemployment often means that tying the knot has to take a backseat in the list of life's priorities.

"We offer everything from lingerie to the wedding dress, so that nothing can prevent the marriage," Ibrahim Higazi, one of Karam al-Islam's patrons told AFP.

The charity says it received applications from 6,000 couples but that it gives priority to the poorest and to orphaned young women in a society where a traceable lineage is valued.

"We even had a 42-year-old bride this year," said one of the organisers.

"And look, we even have disabled couples," he said pointing to Mustafa Saad, 31, who was paralysed by polio, and his bride Naglaa Hamdi, whose arm was amputated after a work accident.

Mustafa, an economics graduate, is unemployed, and Naglaa works in a gas bottle factory.

"We received a kitchen with appliances, a bedroom set and curtains," said an excited Naglaa, her hair hidden beneath a white headcover like the vast majority of the brides.

Abdelsalam Ahmed 32, and his bride, Sahar Ettawwab, 26, say there was no chance that they could have got married without receiving financial assistance. "Maybe in 10 years' time," he said with a shrug of the shoulders.

A blast of music saw Hamdi Taha, not only the charity's president but also a star of the event, make his way through the benches to bestow a final act of goodwill for the day.

"All those who are unemployed, come and see us in a week," he told the happy crowd. "We will find you work opportunities."

The wedding guests filling the stadium cheered for that too.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iGiCX8uC-bUOur8L6kvLDVBQrjLA

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like they are doing a good thingo to help out all these ppl who want to get married.

I loved the statements about "not getting married can lead to deviant behavior" and "Celibacy in Egypt is nothing but a time bomb ready to explode and tarnish the image of my country," . . . . i'd say something is exploding all over egypt, LOLO!

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have loved to be there and watch the happy crowd! [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was a good idea. [Smile]
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that will be the hugeist party in egypt

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com