EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Dear man.... are you considering to get engaged?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dear man.... are you considering to get engaged?
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then check out the Ultimate Man's Guide to buy a diamond ring .

It's definitely also an interesting read for the ladies here on the forum! [Wink]

Lord of the Rings

Everything you need to know about buying a diamond engagement ring.

By Jamie Bellavance, Men's Health

If a diamond is a girl's best friend, make sure you pick a good one. You'll be seeing her "best friend" from here til eternity. Whether you're buying an engagement ring or diamond earrings, there are some things you should know before approaching the jewelry store counter.

You may have heard about "The Four C's"—cut, color, clarity, and carat weight. The most important characteristic is the cut. The least important is clarity.

Make the Cut

Look at the diamond under magnification to inspect the cut. "If the angles line up correctly, then the diamond will reflect the maximum amount of light—the most sparkle," Baird says. "Even a diamond that has great color and clarity will appear dull if the cut is poor."

There are nine cuts to choose from, but we're going to focus on the five most popular for engagement rings. The most common cut is round (90% of men choose this shape). The rest are usually princess cut, which is a square diamond with facets. But three vintage cuts have also recently become popular; the emerald, asscher and cushion. She'll remember the asscher cut from when Aidan proposed to Carrie on "Sex and the City." Carrie loved the trendy diamond, but you should only buy one of these cuts for a woman who's in vogue with fashion, Baird says.

Color

Diamonds are graded based on their lack of color. The less color, the higher the grade—a D scores the highest. The GIA color grading scale starts at D (colorless) and ends at Z(muddy yellow or other color)A diamond you would never want to buy would receive a Z. "Look for diamonds with a color grade of J or better," Baird says. "If it's K or below, forget it."

Clarity

H-VS2 isn't a number that goes with proof of purchase. H stands for color and VS2 (Very Slightly Included) refers to clarity. Clarity is simply a measure of how clear the diamond is. Most diamonds have inclusions—tiny flaws like bubbles, scratches, or blemishes—that detract from the diamond's beauty. Here's the rundown on all clarity grades:

FL: Completely flawless

IF: No internal flaws; external flaws can be removed by further polishing the stone

VVS1 - VVS2: Only an expert can detect flaws with a 10X microscope

VS1 - VS2: You can see flaws with a 10X microscope, but they take a long time to find

SI1 - SI2: You can see flaws right away with a 10X microscope

I1 - I3: You can see flaws with the naked eye

If you're budget conscious, consider a VS2 clarity grade as opposed to a flawless clarity grade. Avoid I1-I3 altogether.

Carat Weight

Diamond prices jump at the carat and half-carat marks, so try to buy just shy of these levels. "Instead of a 1 carat, look for a .95. You'll save a significant amount of money, and the slight size difference will never be noticed," Baird says. And she can safely say it's one carat.

On the other hand, if you really want to impress her, find out how big her mother's diamond is, and how big her married or engaged friends' diamonds are, then one up their rings by buying a slightly bigger diamond.

Setting it Straight

Now that we have the basics covered, we'll get into other important factors like how to conduct yourself in the store, setting options, how to get the right size, and why you need to get insurance.

Getting in the Door

When you enter a jewelry store, you may start shaking in your khakis because you're about to spend all the money you've saved on something you know nothing about. First, find a jewelry expert in the store with whom you feel comfortable and who seems genuine and knowledgeable. "Understand that the people in the store are there to help you," says David Sternblitz, vice president & treasurer of the Zale Corporation. "They are there to guide you through a very difficult process and educate you on styling and how the 4 C's relate to the cost of the diamond."

When it comes to finding the right diamond for your lady, you'll know it when you see it, Sternblitz says. "Nothing can compare to actually holding the diamond and turning it to appreciate its beauty," he says. "When you find the ring, you'll know it's the one because nothing else will make you feel that way. And imagine how she'll react when she sees it!"

Settings

The setting for a diamond is as important to the ring as the frame is to a Da Vinci masterpiece. You want the display to bring out the brilliance of the diamond. There are many settings to choose from.

Solitaire: This is the most popular setting because it allows the diamond's center position to catch the most amount of light, according to adiamondisforever.com. A four-prong setting shows more diamond, while a six-prong setting creates a more secure surrounding.

Setting with side stones: Side stones can be imbedded in the ring's band in a channel setting to surround the main diamond.

Setting with a matching band: These settings are designed to complement the wedding band, if both are to be worn on the same finger.

Three-stone rings: The three-stone ring includes one large diamond in the middle and a smaller diamond on each side to symbolize the past, present, and future.

Just Her Size

What good is the size of the rock if the band doesn't fit? Getting the right size can be tricky if you want to surprise your girlfriend.

Get a ring sizer: The best thing you can do is to get a ring sizer at a jewelry store and check the size of another ring she owns, Baird says.

Make traces and marks: You can also trace the inside of one of her rings on a piece of paper, or use your own finger to judge the size. Simply slide her ring as far as it will go on your finger, mark the spot with a pen, then show the marking to the jeweler, who will determine the size for you.

Give it your best shot: If she doesn't own any other rings, estimate her size (but buy on the bigger side so that there won't be any struggling to get it on her finger), and "make sure you buy the ring from a retailer that will resize it for free," Baird says.

Certification

Before you a buy a diamond you should look over its official certificate (an authentic diamond should always come with one). It's the only way you can be sure the diamond's legit—in terms of the 4 C's, quality, and value. The purpose of the certificate is to ensure that all aspects of the diamond's quality have been analyzed by an expert and graded by either the Gemological Institute of America (GIA), the American Gem Society Laboratories (AGSL), or the most prominent—the International Gemological Institute (IGI). The European Gemological Laboratories (EGL) and GemEx Systems also provide certification for diamonds. The certificate should include grading on color, cut, clarity and carat weight, but it will not tell you how much the diamond is worth. You would need to get an appraisal to know the monetary value of your diamond.

Rest Assured with Insurance

Without insurance, a diamond isn't forever. An engagement ring has two values: a monetary value and an emotional value. It symbolizes the moment that you and your wife-to-be sealed your promise. You must insure your purchase in the event that it could get lost, stolen or broken.

Get insurance right when you get the diamond. You shouldn't leave the store without it. As with all insurance, you should discuss the terms of coverage with the agent or representative of the insurer so that you understand the period of time the coverage is in effect, the dollar amount that is covered, and under what circumstances the coverage pays for repair or replacement.

The most common types of insurance are the all-risk property insurance, a homeowner's or renter's policy, or credit property insurance. Talk to your insurance agent to find out which plan is best for you. Don't have insurance? Dude, you're getting married! You're going to need one from here on out.

http://men.msn.com/articlemh.aspx?cp-documentid=5476820&page=1

Now good luck with the proposal! [Wink]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Dream
Member # 14231

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Dream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, this is my first post on ES ! and to Tigerlily thanks for the tip coz i am getting married soon and i am looking for the ring now actually [Smile] she is european and i am egyptian........who travels often!

so here is something about egyptians my gf send it to me earlier, i hope u like;

foreighn newspaper wants to publish a report about the life in Egypt, so they
send a
female reporter to interview the common citizen in Egypt. When she arrives at
Cairo.
She picks a random
guy, and starts her interview.

Reporter: Hi
Egyptian: We 3alkom el Salam ya 2otta
Reporter: Do you speak English?
Egyptian: Berfect
Reporter: Do you mind if i interview u?
Egyptian: No, i dont have a mind
Reporter: What's your name?
Egyptian: Taha
Reporter: Sex?
Taha: I love it
Reporter: Oh no, i meant male or female?
Taha (yelling): what do you sink?
Reporter: It's just for the sake of the report..never mind...male...
Taha: yas male..and i can brove it any time you want
Reporter: No,thanks, I'll take you for your word...so..how do you find life here
in
Egypt?
Taha: Egybt..very nice cantry..nice wezar..nice food..byramidz
Reporter: oh well..beside the weather and the pyramids..what else do you like in
your country?
Taha: Byramids,nice wezar,nice food
Reporter: Ok..let's move on..what do you do?
Taha: I am very well, sank you
Reporter: No, I mean do you have a job?
Taha (looking around him and whispering): Jobat?..no i dont have
any(jobat)..lessa
mastaba7nash..do you have a (job) with you?..we can esmoke it in my car..dont
warry
about bolice
Reporter: Oh my god, DO YOU WORK?
Taha: Yas yas..Taxi driver
Reporter: What do you think about the traffic problem in egypt?
Taha: Very big broblem..very much cars..you see?..but za guvrment is trying to
make
it bettar..zey did za circle street and za me7war street..and zey make all
streets
one way so if you go..you cant come back..niahahaha3
Reporter: What about the economic problems in Egypt?
Taha: I do not undurstand what u say
Reporter: I mean..how do u deal with money problems in Egypt?
Taha: No NO NO..Egybt very rich cantry...we have alot of cotton..alot of
water..and
we have byramidz
Reporter: So do you make a lot of money?
Taha: No no.. it is not legal to make money..one frend i know make money at
home..and
he go to brizon..if you make money at home..you can only give it to
za banzeena man..zey take any money
Reporter: let me rephrase..since Egypt is a rich country.. do you have a lot of
money?
Taha: me?! ..Not alot..but I eat and drink Al7amdulelah?
Reporter: Then where does all the money go?
Taha: Guvurment
Reporter: And what does the government do with the money?
Taha: Zey Build circle street,me7war street and make all streets one way
Reporter: well, Ok...Do you vote?
Taha: What duz zat mean?
Reporter: Do you choose your president
Taha: Mubarak?
Reporter: yes
Taha (nervously): i didnt give my voice..but if i was..i will give him my voice
Reporter: Why him?
Taha: Because he was an airoblane in za war..he waz za leadar airoblane
Reporter: But there are no wars right now
Taha: But if we have war..you see?...we know
we will have a very good airoblane in it
Reporter: what about the last 26 years ?
Taha: I got marry..and have 3ala2 and Amira..and drive taxi
Reporter: No, i meant what did Mubarak do for Egypt in the last 26 years
Taha: He build circle street, me7war street and make all streets one way
Reporter: Thank you very much for your time Mr. Taha
Taha: No broblem,only 10 bound
Reporter: I never said i will pay you for this
Taha: Ok..just give me the (job) then..we smoke, and make head
Reporter: Grrrrrrrr
Taha: ok ok..Need a Taxi?

............Zatz absouloutly right! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4 | From: Cairo....to move soon to europe.....again! | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com