EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Books you are reading or want to read (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Books you are reading or want to read
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Jasvinder Sangera Sash

Yes YAH my oven is containing a small Bun [Wink]

It's not a secret anymore although I was sort of keeping it quiet but people (mainly family as my mother has took out an advert in the news of the world) keep writing on my wall on Facebook , I was deleting them because my inlaws are major superstitous, evil eye and all that but now I've just decided to leave the posts on there because I don't get on facebook everyday and probably loads of people have seen it...besides I am 3 months I've known for almost 2 and I hate keeping things quiet too!

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry typo her surname is spelt "Sanghera"
Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dubai Girl:
It's Jasvinder Sangera Sash

Yes YAH my oven is containing a small Bun [Wink]

It's not a secret anymore although I was sort of keeping it quiet but people (mainly family as my mother has took out an advert in the news of the world) keep writing on my wall on Facebook , I was deleting them because my inlaws are major superstitous, evil eye and all that but now I've just decided to leave the posts on there because I don't get on facebook everyday and probably loads of people have seen it...besides I am 3 months I've known for almost 2 and I hate keeping things quiet too!

Thanks,DG.Done finding it and added to my wish list.

http://www.amazon.com/Shame-Jasvinder-Sanghera/dp/0340924616/ref=reg_hu-wl_item-added

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lovely news DG. Very happy for you [Big Grin] Look after yourself.x
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Amazon wish list is about to explode in any moment soon. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell me about Sash! I'll be remortgaging the house at this rate [Confused]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
Tell me about Sash! I'll be remortgaging the house at this rate [Confused]

My book pile beside my night table is almost embarrasing to show by now. [Big Grin] [Embarrassed]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Do all of you readers always finish the book you started reading no matter what,or is it me the only one that has more than once gotten frankly bored and put it aside?

[Confused]

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
Do all of you readers always finish the book you started reading no matter what,or is it me the only one that has more than once gotten frankly bored and put it aside?

[Confused]

I read 3 or 4 books at a time
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:
quote:

[Confused]

I read 3 or 4 books at a time
Ive read 2 at a time,too,but if the book doesnt inmediatly get me interested i put it away for good.
I get attracted initiallly by the topic or title,then go and read the back description of the subject or plot,then decide to buy-read.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I browsed the bookshop yesterday and found The Five people You Meet In Heaven, just finished it, great book and thanks to who recommended it.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommended that book when I first joined and I was laughed at as it was deemed ****.

It is one of my favourite books... Tuesdays with Morrie is also a Joe Ablom book and is a tear jerker, even for a cold cow like me [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
I browsed the bookshop yesterday and found The Five people You Meet In Heaven, just finished it, great book and thanks to who recommended it.

What is it about Ayisha? Hiding from Sash before I get a telling off [Big Grin]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I can even hear your pile of books screaming at you desperate for attention. [Big Grin]
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
[Confused] I know Sash I know [Big Grin]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

When you die you meet 5 people, in turn, who have affected your life or you theirs in some way, even people you may not have met or were born long before you. These 5 people explain a part of your life to you where they had been linked in some way. Its worth reading, I couldnt put it down [Big Grin]

I bought 2 more books, dunno if anyones read them, Nora Roberts - Key of Light and Key of Knowledge, there is a third apparently so will keep an eye out for that.

One of my favourite books is River God by Wilbur Smith.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Sounds good Ayisha. Will add it to the the ever expanding wishlist! I have River God in my pile (burrows further to avoid Sash!)
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Sounds good Ayisha. Will add it to the the ever expanding wishlist! I have River God in my pile (burrows further to avoid Sash!)

*raises an arched eyebrow and frowns at the same time*
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Burrowing even deeper to avoid Sash [Big Grin]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Burrowing even deeper to avoid Sash [Big Grin]

*pokes YAH in the eye*
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Ouch! that hurt [Confused]
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am reading Ian McEwan's Atonement and Esther and Jerry Hicks, The Astonishing Power of Emotions - have been described on another forum as a New Age Freak, but who cares, each to his own! [Big Grin]
Posts: 588 | From: an oasis near the pyramids | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished reading Not Without My Daughter in two days time. I saw the movie but had never read the book.

Last night I bought and started reading Inside Egypt: The Land of the Pharaohs on the Brink of a Revolution. It's by John R. Bradley. It is the book that was banned in Egypt last year. It's really good.

http://www.johnrbradley.com/

Has anyone else read this yet?

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my book finally came in its called a woman in berlin.and its over die at the library. opps.havent read it all yet.but its a good book written by anonomous

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by samaka:
Esther and Jerry Hicks, The Astonishing Power of Emotions - have been described on another forum as a New Age Freak

I checked out their website before, I'm a New Age freak too. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just read Zeitoun, written by Dave Eggers.

It's a real story about a Syrian immigrant, married to an American lady, builded a life in New Orleans, got 4 children, all pretty succesfull, until Katrina came. After this hurricane, he got caught by the police, he hadn't done anything wrong, but his Arabic background caused a lot of trouble.

It ws impressive to read.

A review:

36 of 38 people found the following review helpful:
Simple Story, Simply Told, Simply Horrifying, August 11, 2009
By B. K. Davis - See all my reviews

First off, Zeitoun painted my house about 8 years ago so maybe I'm a little bit biased. I also think Dave Eggers is a great writer (doubly biased, perhaps). This story needs to be told to a large audience and Mr. Eggers is just the person to tell it. Maybe we can knock Eggers for the simplistic style he chose to write this book. On the other hand, this story frankly didn't need much artistic enhancement. It is shocking on its own accord and told in a very straightforward manner. Appropriate for the material, I believe.

Every American NEEDS to read this book. What we find in it is an America that lost its core. It is truly shocking that no matter how bad things were in New Orleans immediately following Katrina (most reporting was inaccurate and sensationalized), we are still Americans with common beliefs in our system of rights. That these rights were tossed out the window is appalling.

Mr. Zeitoun is a kind and gentle man. His signs are ubiquitous in New Orleans and he is a stranger to no one and well liked by all who have met him. That he could be mistreated is a crime and an outrage. That others were rounded up and treated even worse is one of the worst black eyes on our country. As I read this book I just kept saying out loud over and over again, "This cannot be America."

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
quote:
Just finished reading Not Without My Daughter in two days time. I saw the movie but had never read the book.

Last night I bought and started reading Inside Egypt: The Land of the Pharaohs on the Brink of a Revolution. It's by John R. Bradley. It is the book that was banned in Egypt last year. It's really good.

It's on my bookshelf waiting to be read [Big Grin] Hides once again from Sash [Razz]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

It's on my bookshelf waiting to be read [Big Grin] Hides once again from Sash [Razz]
*raising her brow*

Ok,which one of this books is still waiting to be read?Cause lemme tell you both are old by now,specially the first one.
*repeatedly points her finger at YAH double line book pile*

That Not Without My Daughter is almost ancient reading by now. [Roll Eyes]

[Razz]

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Inside Egypt [Razz] It'll be even more ancient by the time I get to it [Big Grin]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Inside Egypt [Razz] It'll be even more ancient by the time I get to it [Big Grin]

*raising her brow again*

That book is a Must read for anyone seriously interested in Egypt.It opens our eyes to modern day to day Egypt and its current situation.Some might seem a grim view,but its the reality.
I would recomend you to give it an upgrade putting it in you priority to read list/pile.
[Smile]

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
I will Sash promise. I think we ordered it at the same time. I need to make more time to read.
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
I will Sash promise. I think we ordered it at the same time. I need to make more time to read.

Less Mafia Wars and Cafe World [Razz]

*runs to hide away*

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Don't forget my farm [Confused]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Don't forget my farm [Confused]

[Big Grin]

Thanks God im not into that one.Couldnt keep up with the application addiction....looool!

[Embarrassed]

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Oh I know My fish died because I forgot about them [Confused]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay I read this week Ian Halperin's *Brangelina* since I am so fixed on Hollywood - and I wasn't disappointed. Angelina Jolie really was a screwed up person earlier in life. It was new to me that her mom allowed Angelina's boyfriend to move in with them when she was only 14. Hollywood or not - I'd never give my permission for that.

Furthermore it was interesting to read about her marriage to fellow actor Billy Bob Thornton and also I learned more about Brad Pitt's biography.

Next on my list are *Miami Beach Memories* by Joann Biondi (as I enjoyed my vacation so much there this past summer)

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Miami-Beach-Memories/Joann-Biondi/e/9780762740666

- and *What's really wrong with the Middle East* by Brian Whitaker. That should be indeed a very interesting read.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=004862

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

*raising her brow again*

That book is a Must read for anyone seriously interested in Egypt.It opens our eyes to modern day to day Egypt and its current situation.Some might seem a grim view,but its the reality.
I would recomend you to give it an upgrade putting it in you priority to read list/pile.
[Smile]

Inside Egypt is fantastic. I think it should be given an upgrade as well.

I was not ever planning to read Not Without My Daughter because it is so old and I saw the movie. But when we were in Carrefour I picked it up at the Egyptian American Bookcenter and started flipping through it. I decided to get it anyway and I'm glad I did. It was so good I couldn't put it down. Although the movie does follow the book quite well books are always better than movies.

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Okay I read this week Ian Halperin's *Brangelina* since I am so fixed on Hollywood - and I wasn't disappointed. Angelina Jolie really was a screwed up person earlier in life. It was new to me that her mom allowed Angelina's boyfriend to move in with them when she was only 14. Hollywood or not - I'd never give my permission for that.

Furthermore it was interesting to read about her marriage to fellow actor Billy Bob Thornton and also I learned more about Brad Pitt's biography.

I'm not really that into reading about celebs, but some of these biographies are quite revealing. I thought Angelina and Billy Bob were a much better couple than her and Brad. Did the book go into why her marriage with him broke up?
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Inside Egypt is under way [Wink] Thoroughly enjoying it.
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

I'm not really that into reading about celebs, but some of these biographies are quite revealing. I thought Angelina and Billy Bob were a much better couple than her and Brad. Did the book go into why her marriage with him broke up?
Im soo not into reading celebrities books either.
Know some of them already. [Wink]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well their marriage was all about sex. And when that got old they grew apart. Also Billy didn't support Angelina in her humanitarian work and the couple broke it off pretty quickly.

Billy Bob Thornton really seems to be a ladies man; women absolutely fall for him. It was said that actress Tea Leoni had a fling with him last year while living separated from actor David Duchovny. I am glad though that they gave their marriage another chance after all.

Btw did you know that Billy Bob was already married FIVE TIMES?? [Eek!]

Hee hee, hubby and I just watched "Bad Santa" with him again to get us in the right mood for the upcoming holiday!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Bad Santa is such a funny movie. I'll have to have my husband download it so I can watch it again.

Didn't know Billy Bob was married 5 times.

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Bad Santa: SANDWICHES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtF5dMzAF2k

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
It's on tomorrow night so I'll be watching C +Q
Qmar
Member # 12602

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Qmar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished Burned alive by "souad". Bio about girl from the West Bank who was burned for shaming her family. Looks deep into the idea of Honour killings. Very sad but couldn't put it down.
Have here from library Married to a Bedouin, read a few pages and can't really get into it, have to try again before time to return!

Posts: 102 | From: Somewhere only we know... | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Qmar:
Just finished Burned alive by "souad". Bio about girl from the West Bank who was burned for shaming her family. Looks deep into the idea of Honour killings. Very sad but couldn't put it down.
Have here from library Married to a Bedouin, read a few pages and can't really get into it, have to try again before time to return!

Thats another oldie but very good one book,Burned Alive.Read it some years ago.

Have that Married to a Bedouin sitting on my latest book pile. [Big Grin]

Qmar
Member # 12602

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Qmar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the middle of "Passing for normal" by Amy Wilensky Bio about Tourette's and OCD. Also The fish finger years (things your mum didn't tell you about bringing up kids) - very funny!! Recently bought Hell on hoe street (novel) and Allah is not obliged (novel). And various other books that I hope to get round to one day!!!
Posts: 102 | From: Somewhere only we know... | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

My turn to slap Sash [Big Grin]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

My turn to slap Sash [Big Grin]
No reason because it's on my recently arrived and newest pile. [Razz] [Big Grin]
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
What about your oldest pile [Razz]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com