EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Books you are reading or want to read (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Books you are reading or want to read
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Freshwater Fishing Tips and Techniques by Gene Kugach (ordered it). I'm not great at fishing and this book is supposedly excellent for "city-folk"

I chose this one becuase it has illustrations. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sash I ordered books from Amazon today..... but they were for someone else. Impressed.. You should be [Big Grin]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
Sash I ordered books from Amazon today..... but they were for someone else. Impressed.. You should be [Big Grin]

[Eek!]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just started reading The Alchemist

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a lovely book Ayisha, Enjoy!
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Sphinx by T S Learner added to my wishlist [Big Grin]
hakima
Member # 11371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hakima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Between American holidays and Kiahk, I've been pretty occupied but I did start "Growing Up Bin Laden: Osama's wife and son take us inside their secret world" by Najwa Bin Laden, Omar Bin Laden and Jean Sasson. The book has been very interesting while at times disturbing to the point where I have to put it down and pick up something more positive. Both Najwa and Omar seem like very good people.
I'm sure there are a lot of Jean Sasson fans here!

Posts: 12 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hakima
Member # 11371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hakima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah- also started "Mother of the Believers" by Kamran Pasha. I'm not usually a big fiction person but sometimes to chill out...
Posts: 12 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three Cups of Tea ..Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin

This is just such a wonderful and inspiring book.

Greg Mortenson was helped by a village in Pakistan to recover after a failed attempt at climbing K2. He was so moved by their kindness that he returns to build a school and ends up dedicating his life to building schools in the Northern region of Pakistan and also Afghanistan after the war starts there. He very much champions the cause of education for girls.

The book looks at the way a normal balanced education can help to combat the wave of extremist Islam being taught in the madrassas springing up all over the region , and how this can be a far more effective approach to the problem of terrorism than ever the bomb can be.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SherryBlueBerry
Member # 13867

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SherryBlueBerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished a very controversial booked titled The Shack. It delves into the Christian believe of the Holy Trinity...God the Father, God the Son & God the Holy Ghost.

Many pastors here are preaching very heavily against the book. One Egyptian Christian pastor Michael Youseff has a 12 week series of sermons on it!!

I felt if was a great book...I like to think God can take human form and come to earth..whether it be an African American woman, an Arab man, an Asian woman..etc

Then again...I am very much into controversial stuff! That's why I love ES!!

Posts: 263 | From: Georgia USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HiMyNameIs
Member # 17124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HiMyNameIs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid

http://www.amazon.com/Reluctant-Fundamentalist-Mohsin-Hamid/dp/0156034026/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263320511&sr=8-1

Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/home
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im currently reading ¨Cairo:City of Sand¨,by Maria Golia.
Highly recommend it.
Some excerpts from it:

¨....if Cairenes appear the most agreeable of yea-sayers it´s because ¨no¨implies confrontation,or worse,dissapointing the interlocutor.This is a culture where the art of determining what others want or need to hear is inculcated,perhaps compassionately,from birth.Egyptians are past masters at bending truths to create soothing speeches.¨

http://www.amazon.com/Cairo-City-Topographics-Maria-Golia/dp/1861891873/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263341243&sr=1-1

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walter Moers: City of Dreaming Books

Wonderful, amazing, crazy, funny, and extremely creative. I am reading the German original and have no clue how it was possible to translate it into English since the author invents all those really hilarious names and things.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naya
Member # 13958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for naya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Selim Nassib: I loved you for your voice.

Beautifully written, a love story describing the life of Om Kalthoum. Fiction, but with many references to historic events and people.

I loved it from the first to the last page...

Posts: 77 | From: egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by naya:
Selim Nassib: I loved you for your voice.

Beautifully written, a love story describing the life of Om Kalthoum. Fiction, but with many references to historic events and people.

I loved it from the first to the last page...

Ohhh,Oum Kalthoum,the legendary voice of Egypt. [Smile]
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh,Oum Kalthoum,the legendary voice of Egypt. [Smile] [/QB][/QUOTE]

My husband loves her music and often plays it when we are in the car, it took me a few listens before I went from finding it strange to liking it. He said the same thing happened when he was a kid his parents used to play it and he hated it until he got older. [Big Grin]

I am currently reading a whole series of "Babylon" books by Imogen Edwards Jones, author of Hotel Babylon....she gets anonymous people from various industries from tourism to travel to the music industry telling what really goes on and there is lots of interesting gossip..so far I have read about 5 of them, air babylon being my favourite.

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
My friend's brother worked high up in a very posh hotel in London and he had the luck to put a very drunk Mr Depp to bed [Big Grin]
'Nine Parts of Desire' is finished. Very enjoyable. Just deciding what to read next [Razz]

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
My friend's brother worked high up in a very posh hotel in London and he had the luck to put a very drunk Mr Depp to bed [Big Grin]
'Nine Parts of Desire' is finished. Very enjoyable. Just deciding what to read next [Razz]

One book less from your pile. [Big Grin]
I read that one almost 9 years ago [Razz]

Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My new hobby at the moment is audiobooks...there are numerous sites on the web where you can download them for free and I've joined audible.com which is owned by Amazon, not free but good prices. They have lots of audio books I like.

Now that I am a jobless layabout with nothing to do all day, much of my time was spent reading because I don't really watch TV, all of my friends have jobs so there is nothing much to do on weekdays. At least with these audiobooks I can walk the dog and do other stuff at the same time as listening.

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
This one promises to be interesting:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?v=info&ref=nf&gid=394909530158

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Added to WL Sash [Smile]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Added to WL Sash [Smile]

It isnt yet available on Amazon,so will have to wait.
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Yes Sash, Patience is a virtue! Gives me more time to get through the pile [Big Grin]
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the first time I am reading "The Handmaid's Tale". Margaret Atwood died a little while ago and her book details are starting to emerge in my nations headlines.
Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mirage-Soheir-Khashoggi/dp/0812550943/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280481730&sr=1-11

Another old book I've just started. Looks like a good read.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kennedy Family Album: Personal Photos of America's First Family

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Kennedy-Family-Album/Linda-Corley/e/9781560259237

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
quote:
Currently reading 'Nile' by Laurie Devine. Looking to buy 'Married to a Bedouin' by Marguerite van Geldermalsen. I'm waiting 3 books on order from Amazon which are biographies on women's lifes in Egypt and Saudi.

On the same line of the subjects you like to read,did you read this one?If not,get it,you will enjoy it.

http://www.jeannemeck.com/

I read this a while ago, it's great and recommended
Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merry Christmas
Member # 17993

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merry Christmas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do love The Alchemist book.
I do also love On Distant Shores of Love.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Just started 'A Week in December' by Sebastian Faulks. It's set in London and follows the lives of various people over 7 days. Enjoying it so far.
Miss Sharm
Member # 12405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Sharm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have recently read this
http://www.amazon.com/English-woman-Arab-Alison-Legh-Jones/dp/0236400037

It was one of those books once you start you can't put it down [Smile] Basically it's about a english woman who gives up everything in the UK to go and live with her holiday romance [Smile] only to find it isn't quite as she expected. You follow them through their journey of culture difference, class difference.....a great, easy read that I would recommend [Smile]

Posts: 1244 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Will add it to my wishlist. Thankyou! (Not a word Sash!) [Big Grin]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Will add it to my wishlist. Thankyou! (Not a word Sash!) [Big Grin]

Because you have´nt seen my last book load just fresh from Spain! [Big Grin]
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Major excess baggage then [Eek!]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Major excess baggage then [Eek!]

Yup...i had to seriously scratch my pocket to pay for it [Big Grin]
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The life of Muhammad by Tahia Al-Ismail.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished "Girl from the City of the Dead". Nothing new, but a nice read. [Smile]

Currently reading "The Name of the Rose". I've been reading some of Umberto Eco's non-fictionial stuff for work-related reasons lately, and that reminded me that I have never read that book before and never watched the movie. Thoroughly enjoying it, btw.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favourite book is 'Faulcaut's pendulum' by Umberto Eco.
One of those books, I suspect, plagiarised for the Da Vinci Code.
Sadly don't have a copy here now. One of those books you simply have to read twice, or your brain starts to ache.
Currently reading My Name Is Red, by Orhan Pamuk, think he won a Nobel. But phew! Good but heavy going so far.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foucault's Pendulum is definitely on my list to read next. [Smile]

Orhan Pamuk is supposed to be good, let us know what you think of it when you've finished!

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
I have My Name is Red on my bookcase (still to read, what's new!)

My friend has given me 'Life' by Keith Richards, looking forward to it.

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
I have decided to re read Inside Egypt, The Land of the Pharoahs on the brink of a revolution as it so pertinent to what is happening at the moment.
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just Finished "Reunited in the desert" by Helle Amin.It's about how Helle succeded to get back her sons from Saudi Arabia.

An other similair book about an Australian case where the mother lost her son and daughter to their father in Malaysia"Once I was a princess" by Jacqueline Pascarl

Both easy to raed and quite interesting.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
I have decided to re read Inside Egypt, The Land of the Pharoahs on the brink of a revolution as it so pertinent to what is happening at the moment.

God,exactly was i was thinking yesterday,YAH!That book gives a lot of insight of what is happening now in Egypt.Reading it again now would bring it up into perspective.

By then ,i didnt know much about the tortures part.

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Egypt-Pharaohs-Brink-Revolution/dp/023061437X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297174313&sr=1-1

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Great minds think alike Sash! I've finished re reading it and it certainly made things clear and so topical.
Momma_Dukez
Member # 16037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought Jackie Collins' new novel, "Poor Little Bich Girl" on saturday and finished it today...was real good.

next one is "godess of vengeance" releasing in April.

Posts: 221 | From: philly | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
murray-mint77
Member # 13080

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for murray-mint77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kitcheners last volenteer.........Fancy reading about the British history of WW1 and life here in the late 1800's- early 1900's [Big Grin]
exerpt from book ''the year 1896 saw the first person in Britian fined for speeding.Walter Arnold was driving through Paddock Wood in Kent at 8mph- 4x the 2mph limit imposed on built up areas by the locomotive act 1865- when he was spotted by a local constable who was having his lunch in a nearby cottage. The constable donned a police helmet and chased the car on his bicycle. He eventually apprehended Mr Arnold, who was later fined 1 shilling. There were just 20 cars in Britain at the time. [Big Grin]
Amazing imagine that LOL and it was real life a long time ago [Big Grin]
I would love to read cairo-city tapogragh will do a little search on amazon to see if its available in UK as it sounds a good read x

OMG now i remember why i wanted to read this book so much its based very close to where i actually live and work...(when not on maternity leave) WALTHAMSTOW
Shanta have u read this book ? we both know the area well [Wink]

Posts: 634 | From: the Moon........... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mo Ning Min E:
Currently reading My Name Is Red, by Orhan Pamuk, think he won a Nobel. But phew! Good but heavy going so far.

Loved loved loved that book. Snow? Not so much.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Way of All Flesh - Samuel Butler.
I find him a witty writer, and considering it was written in 1903 some of the things he says are so pertinent to today (I don't mean in the context of the Egyptian situation).
Only problem is, it's taken me 3 weeks to read 100 pages - just can't concentrate.

@Murray Mint - no I haven't. I do have back in Blighty a big dense heavy but fascinating book on that area of town. Especially around WWii and how it suffered during the Blitz.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am reading the Diary of Anne Frank
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
Im currently reading ¨Cairo:City of Sand¨,by Maria Golia.
Highly recommend it.
Some excerpts from it:

¨....if Cairenes appear the most agreeable of yea-sayers it´s because ¨no¨implies confrontation,or worse,dissapointing the interlocutor.This is a culture where the art of determining what others want or need to hear is inculcated,perhaps compassionately,from birth.Egyptians are past masters at bending truths to create soothing speeches.¨

http://www.amazon.com/Cairo-City-Topographics-Maria-Golia/dp/1861891873/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263341243&sr=1-1

Completely kick @ss book. I used golia as a username because of the excellence of her book.

I ordered "Modern Cairo" by Naguib Mahfouz 1-31-11 but it has yet to arrive. Its making me crazy to wait.

In the meantime I am reading Teddy Kollecks's memoir "For Jerusalem". I've read alot of non-fiction biographies/autobiographies in regards to Palestinian experience and I needed to understand the POV of the leaders who created the situation for Palestinians.

I tried to plow through Abba Eban's book but it was obviously written in Hebrew first and translated; very dry, dense and humorless. I can't imagine he was different as a person. Amazing how early Israeli leaders have such a widely different polarizing view of the same events while Palestinians have a unified view.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com