EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Books you are reading or want to read (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Books you are reading or want to read
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
I am reading the Diary of Anne Frank

My daughter read this book three years ago at the age of 9. She was really touched and saddened by it.

Unfortunately we never made it to Amsterdam to visit her museum.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mo Ning Min E:

Currently reading My Name Is Red, by Orhan Pamuk, think he won a Nobel. But phew! Good but heavy going so far.

I attempted to read Pamuk's "Museum of Innocence" . . . Near the end now and decided to give up. and I found his other books a bit of a slog . . . I keep hoping I will like one as I am very interested in turkey [Smile] . . .and he comes recommended. I guess I am just not in to his style.

For "Museum of Innocence", it started out interesting enough but I couldn't buy in to his obsession/affair with a young cousin when he was engaged to another woman . . . AND at a time when a woman's virginity was everything (still is in some ways/some countries) . . . I thought it was an extremely selfish idea to present that this guy could be having sex with 2 women at the same time and therefore "damage" both. And, though we live in more "modern" times (book takes place in 70's I believe) where virginity isn't valued so much . . . I still think it is more a man's dream to be carrying on with 2 women at the same time and a total betrayal of his fiancee to cheat on her.

Of course, that has nothing to do with his writing style and ability to transmit the story . . . just my thoughts on some of the ideas conveyed . . . I finally had to give up after he lost his fiancee (she fled in disgust with a broken heart), his young cousin married another man, and he spent 8 years going to her parents house to eat dinner with all of them!

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Currently reading a boigraphy of Samuel Pepys.it weighs a ton!
Strangely. a lot of it covers the period when Oliver Cromwell was planning to hand over power to his son; and of course nobody wanted that, riots, demo's etc.The military was stuck in the middle, not wanting to turn their arms on the people etc .... sounds familiar?
See that's the Brits for ya. Been there, done that.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was looking at info about Oliver Cromwell last week actually, seeing what similarities and differences there were!
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maya811
Member # 18602

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maya811   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody in Cairo wants to give away books, she dont read anymore? Or maybe you can suggest place where to buy used books in english?

--------------------
www.bellydance-egypt.blogspot.com

Posts: 13 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maya811:
Does anybody in Cairo wants to give away books, she dont read anymore? Or maybe you can suggest place where to buy used books in english?

This bookstore has new and also used books in English. I haven't been there yet but hoping to get there at some point. I've heard it's quite nice though. [Smile]

http://www.bookspotonline.com/middle.php?file=home

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, The Bookspot is nice. There is another, smaller store for used books a bit further down road 9 too. (And Alef and Diwan for new books are on the same street).

If you're interested in borrowing instead of buying – the CSA in Maadi has a library.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use bookspot all time. My daughter and i have been going there since 08. Also members of csa library, lol was there thurs. Just finished "woman at poimt zero" by nawal el saadawi.
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukez
Member # 16037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just finished lauren conrads la candy and just bought part 2, sweet little lies.
Posts: 221 | From: philly | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally gotten into "Cairo Modern" by Naguib Mahfouz. The book took three weeks to get here from California!

Nice short chapters, great characters who really do represent the time, and the era is similar to now in Cairo.

Its an English translation and my ex has actually read this Mahfouz novel and the translation is really watered down.

Mahfouz cant write scathing accounts and dialogue in Arabic and I think out of respect for the culture divide the translator cleaned it up a bit.

Still its dicey enough!

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last Mahfouz I read was 'The Mirage'. Almost needed antidepressants after reading it!

Just about to start 'Jerusalem The Biography' by Simon Sebag Montefiore. Should keep me quiet for a while.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waiting to read this one here, wonder if has been postponed now or what

http://www.aucpress.com/p-3744-egypt-in-the-era-of-hosni-mubarak-19812011.aspx

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by adelly:

Just finished "woman at poimt zero" by nawal el saadawi.

Did you take it back yet? [Cool]
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No i bought it lol
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
The last Mahfouz I read was 'The Mirage'. Almost needed antidepressants after reading it!

Just about to start 'Jerusalem The Biography' by Simon Sebag Montefiore. Should keep me quiet for a while.

Thanks for the heads up on "The Mirage", I nearly went for "Wedding Song".

Actually halfway through "Cairo Modern" I highly regard this book. Its got to be one of his best, and I was floored by "Respected Sir" and "The Journey of Ibn Fattouma"

Simon Sebag Montefiore writes on topics I thoroughly enjoy reading. Though he sounds flamboyant and I am a little weirded out about a Dispora Jew writing on the Middle East, they can be one-sided and leave out entire chunks of history to push their agenda. Though he'd probably write in a flair I'd enjoy.

Next is to finish Teddy Kollek's "For Jerusalem" his autobiography. Actually he's written probably the most very down to earth and enjoyable Tome of any Israeli founding leader. And I have read a bunch.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/8356833/World-Book-Day-the-year-of-the-e-book.html

World book day today:

I can see the advantage of an e reader on holiday as normally my case is weighed down with books to read at the pool! but nothing beats a 'proper' book in your hand.

Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Just finished "rose madder" by stephen king and "dear john" by nicholas sparks.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just received "Come to the Edge" a memoir by Christina Haag. Christina Haag was the longtime girlfriend of John F. Kennedy jr.

http://www.amazon.com/Come-Edge-Memoir-Christina-Haag/dp/0385523173

I am an absolute fan of the late John F. Kennedy jr. I still think he was the hottest guy ever alive!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Also next week I should hold a copy of "Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography" by actor Rob Lowe in my hands.

http://www.amazon.com/Stories-Only-Tell-Friends-Autobiography/dp/080509329X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304164216&sr=1-1

Yes, that's correct, ROB LOWE became now also an author!!! If you like 80's teen flicks and are a fan of the so-called 'Brat Pack' don't miss out on this book.

So and now off to my backyard to read (and do some other things) lol!!!!! [Smile]

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.amazon.com/Man-White-Sharkskin-Suit-Familys/dp/006082218X/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

I started this a few days ago and it is fantastic.

Here is a review from the Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/10/books/10book.html?pagewanted=1

http://www.hsje.org/images/Llagnado/ManintheWhiteSharkskin.pdf

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by adelly:
I use bookspot all time. My daughter and i have been going there since 08. Also members of csa library, lol was there thurs. Just finished "woman at poimt zero" by nawal el saadawi.

Woman at point zero looks good. I just added it to my wishlist on Amazon
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets see who's the first of us ES readers to catch on this one:

"Tweets From Tahrir"

http://www.orbooks.com/our-books/tweets-from-tahrir/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tweets-from-Tahrir/212845712077499?sk=wall&filter=2

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Started 'The House of the Mosque' by Kader Abdolah
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Egypt in the Era of Hosni Mubarak: 1981 - 2011 by Galal Amin

Finally available. Get your copy!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Egypt-Era-Hosni-Mubarak-1981/dp/9774164008/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307516571&sr=8-1-fkmr1

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:
http://www.amazon.com/Man-White-Sharkskin-Suit-Familys/dp/006082218X/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

I started this a few days ago and it is fantastic.

Don't miss out on this one by the same author which will be released in a few months (hopefully).

http://www.amazon.com/Arrogant-Years-Girls-Search-Brooklyn/dp/0061803677/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307517420&sr=8-3

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com