EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Eid Countdown - Any Plans?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eid Countdown - Any Plans?
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7 more days until Eid. :-) I can't remember the last time I was this excited about any holiday. It'll be on a Friday too – extra nice. :-) Like every Eid ul-Fitr it'll begin with a cup of sweet red tea and something light like a croissant and then it's off to the Mosque for beautiful takbeer, short sermon and salat.

Afterwards is where the fun will begin. Everything is still tentative but basically I want to take my wife out for brunch, preferably somewhere scenic. I don't know what we'll do for the afternoon but for the evening- live music would be cool.

Basically go with the flow but those are two components that I want to enjoy (scenic brunch, live music). Heck we might spend the afternoon at Sunway Lagoon waterpark, water-sliding, surfing and whatnot. With Ramadan over it's all good because the energy to enjoy will be there.

Well those are my plans. Share yours if you like.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukez
Member # 16037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eid used to piss me off. one year i took my daughter to the local mosque cuz they always would serve up the dinner as a get together thing. well my kid is really picky and wont touch that nasty food with a ten ft pole, but they ordered pizzas for the kids.
hows about i go to get the last 2 slices for her and this fat muslim chick rudely cuts in front of me and piles them onto her plate that was already stacked a mile high with rice, meat and all kinds of stuff she likes. then there were these other two women fighting over some other last morsels of some dish.
so ya my daughter ate nothing and i was so disgusted i never returned.

another yr, an egyptian friend who owns a restaurant paid to take the whole mosque that day to a nice restaurant.

then after all is said and done, the men resorted back to their usual ways of sleeping around and smoking.

Posts: 221 | From: philly | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“fat muslim chick” + free food = recipe for disaster. [Big Grin] I never partook in free food venues, I'm sure the intention of the mosques/organizers is good but seems like a waste of time. I guess they try to immulate “open house” that is prevalent in the Muslim countries/communities. Those as well never appealed to me. I mean it's more of a friends/family thing visiting each other, snacking a bit and then moving on to another home.

It's the reason why every Eid, my wife and I celebrate it together, doing things we enjoy, never looking to celebrate with other people. The Mosque in the morning with the ummah is plenty fine, the rest of the day is just the two of us. Friends and family can expect an SMS/Phone call.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
5 more days until Eid. [Smile]

My Eid shopping list:

1- Dope ass shirt to go with my dope ass jeans

2- Square aviator sunglasses (I've always disliked the roundish ones that everyone wears)

3- Rental car for the eid weekend and drive on the left side of the road. Last time that happened I totaled a ride. [Big Grin]

4- Make a CD complilation of some mellow jams as well as upbeat tunes like ... Iko Iko http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uFYkLFAg18

5 more days [Smile]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not being Muslim, religious and non-Egyptian Eid for me is just a holiday to go to the beach and the pool!!!
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
Not being Muslim, religious and non-Egyptian Eid for me is just a holiday to go to the beach and the pool!!!

But Cheeky you do this everyday, ahhh the life of a beach bum. [Big Grin]
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We intend to make day trips including boat trips. Weather is pretty good in these days [Smile]
First destination is Olympos http://www.google.com.tr/images?hl=tr&source=imghp&biw=1272&bih=582&q=olympos&gbv=2&aq=0s&aqi=g-s1&aql=&oq=olyp&gs_rfai=

And then Kaş-Kalkan http://www.google.com.tr/images?hl=tr&biw=1272&bih=582&gbv=2&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=kalkan&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

[Smile]

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
quote:

But Cheeky you do this everyday, ahhh the life of a beach bum. [Big Grin]
Not everyday, last week I went to have coffee in a few nice hotels before going shopping in City Stars [Wink]

One day over Eid I have put aside for Chef Mick... I am looking forward to that day out.

Ah, I love my life [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Edit... one day over 'my' Eid leave.. not Eid itself.. Chef Mick will be here!

As I know some pompous, pedantic arse will correct me otherwise [Big Grin]

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Making sure I get 3 days worth of food in because the shops round my way will all be shut!
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by 'Shahrazat:
We intend to make day trips including boat trips. Weather is pretty good in these days [Smile]
First destination is Olympos http://www.google.com.tr/images?hl=tr&source=imghp&biw=1272&bih=582&q=olympos&gbv=2&aq=0s&aqi=g-s1&aql=&oq=olyp&gs_rfai=

And then Kaş-Kalkan http://www.google.com.tr/images?hl=tr&biw=1272&bih=582&gbv=2&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=kalkan&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

[Smile]

Lovely and Breathtaking. If you take along a camera, share some pics. [Smile]
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:
Making sure I get 3 days worth of food in because the shops round my way will all be shut!

Hahaha. Yeah Cairo metropolitan area can be annoying with so many places closed. Hoard up food and cat food. Ahahaha
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 'Shahrazat:

[Smile]

Beautiful! [Smile]
Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:

Bank Holidays taught us well...
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
4 days to go....

For most of the world anyway. I believe the European Council for Fatwa and Research have decreed that Eid will be September 9th. I'm not faulting them because their calculation is based on the moon sighting on the 8th of September which will be visible in southern Argentina and Chile. The trajectory of the sighting will then gradually move north westerly. Doesn't phase me at all because celebrating Eid on the 9th or 10th is all about intention and if the moon is sighted on the 9th or 10th in my locale then so be it.

I do know come this weekend I will have a new leash on life. To have the luxury to jog during daylight is one of the things I'm looking forward to. Walking down the street and knowing I can walk at any pace without tiring and dehydrating my body is another luxury usually taken for granted. I have a bad yet enjoyable habit of running up flights of stairs, I've been deprived of that too. Making love in the morning, missed that also. I'm sharing some of my reflections, and to sum it up, I miss the vigor that I normally have at all hours of the day.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah coming to egypt [Razz] [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
yeah coming to egypt [Razz] [Wink]

You still around?! Run along before you miss your flight. [Razz]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont have to leave for another 8 hours ...going nuts waiting for the time to pass. and i wouldn't want to spend it any other way then talking to you bb [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
i dont have to leave for another 8 hours ...going nuts waiting for the time to pass. and i wouldn't want to spend it any other way then talking to you bb [Wink]

Thanks Micky. This time tomorrow you'll be in your second home. Have the best time, you truly deserve it. We all know you worked your butt off this past year. [Smile] *Hugs*
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
thanks sweetie.i just wish you were there too , need my sous chef with me.but i know thats way to much to ask for, but i will be meeting some of this gang here so i know you will be here in spirit.xx
Bollock
Member # 17944

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bollock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just arrived in my wife's country with our babies.
Posts: 46 | From: on your plate | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
27 days into Ramadan with Shawwal a mere three days away. Prior to holy month commencing my wife and I thought this was going to be a daunting one, especially with us relocating half way around the world. People thought it must've been difficult for us to move and settle whilst fasting. Sure, nothing is ever easy, but Ramadan overshadowed the difficulties and highlighted the blessings. I thought that I would be extra thirsty, running around in tropical heat and humidity, but all I saw were people who appeared thirstier.

They say you never forget your first love, first car, first home, first Ramadan. This isn't the first, but it might just turn out to be the most memorable.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
I have almost all my Eid clothes. I bought 2 shirts, including a white dress shirt that I'll wear in the evening. Also bought a pair of brown leather Eastland sandals. Tomorrow will go downtown to buy a different scent musk and bukhoor (incense). My wife may get henna done, which I hope, because I find it very attractive. Also need to pay the Eid-ul-Fitr zakat (alms) before I forget, like last year. They have kiosks in shopping complexes to do that.

2 more days left, with a 5% probability that tommorow will be the last day Ramadan. Oh well had a good several year run of 29 days Ramadan.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I remember my first Ramadan (obviously when I first moved abroad) I was 14 and in Bahrain...

My friends and I would sit on the floor with our Eid feast of Kit Kats and Coca Cola waiting for the cannon to sound.

It was way more difficult in Bahrain.. no clubs, alcohol, smoking, dancing. Westerners were being fined for not complying.

Few of the gang and I used to go meet under the canoes at Bahrain Yacht Club just to drink water and have a smoke without being fined!!!

Happy days. I hear it is very different now.. in fact I have friends who call it Little Britain!

First love... had to be Robert smith from The Cure [Big Grin]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:

Happy days. I hear it is very different now.. in fact I have friends who call it Little Britain!

The also call it Hamam as-Saudia (The Saudi Toliet) [Big Grin] Apparently becuase Saudis cross over the border bridge in droves during weekends to indulge in things they can't in Saudi Arabia. Kind of hypocritcial because the only toliet on the Arabian peninsula is the Saudi capital, Riyadh.
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
No more waiting, as the Eve of Eid is upon us in the Far East. The festive air definitely feels great. What a beautiful journey the past 30 days have been. Incidentally today was the hardest fast day, apparently a reminder by Ramadan that not all holy months will be smooth sailing. That's cool, but the only thing on my mind now is celebration.

The next step is to properly welcome the month of Shawwal at Eid prayers tomorrow morning at 8:30am.

Eid Mubarak

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
The Saudi Toilet lol.. I didn't hear that before but will remember it for future use.

I am going to go back and visit Bahrain before I go to Doha... I have seen pictures of it now and it sure has changed a lot.

Eid Mubarak. It must be so liberating to fast for so long, it sure is a challenge.

LiTTle_PHaROah
Member # 18093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiTTle_PHaROah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
going to ALEXXXXXXXXXXXXX

--------------------
breathe_easy2070@yahoo.com
reeemo888@hotmail.com

Posts: 7 | From: cairo | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having a lazy day off. Tonight been invited to an Egyptian friend and his wife for an Eid meal which I'm looking forward to it.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Another pj day here for me too...

And I made jelly and have ice cream!!! I also have some cool DVDs to watch.

I don't like to go out when Ramadan finishes.. kids and cheap fireworks and bangers just annoy me lol.

I will venture out tomorrow as I am going out for a picnic [Smile]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Eid has come to an end, although radio stations and department stores continue to play festive songs. I especially love “Suasana Hari Raya” by Anuar Zain and Ellina. There's a custom here where couples wear matching colors for Eid, some entire families do the same as well.

It was a lovely holiday, one that I felt, and this isn't something that comes too easily or often. It actually seemed like one continuous day from Friday until yesterday. Also made the chick very happy and made good on my promise to take her back to Ikea to pick out furniture, which I did Sunday. I'll give here a 10/10, we have different taste at times. But she choose some really cool stuff, I especially liked the dark grey 3 seater karlstad. I wanted this large picture of a London street that was black and white but with a tilted double decker facing straight in a colorful red, nice, but at that point my stomach started begging for food. And this lead us to Ikea's Swedish meatballs, what can I say?! OMG they were amazing. Will certainly have to look into Swedish cuisine if that's an indication of how Swedish food tastes.

So yeah, it was a very nice Eid, I tried my best to make my wife happy and also find time for happy hour session with a little pool for me. [Big Grin]

Wishing you all had a lovely Eid.

jason888
Member # 18138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jason888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silver Pandora Beads  Pandora murano glass  Crystal  
Thomas sabo charm  Bracelet 
glass beads making  Double core glass beads  Latest beads 
Metal alloy beads  Metal chain 
Ring 
Others

Posts: 5 | From: china | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com