EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » "The Gambian Prince"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "The Gambian Prince"
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's the granny who wed a Gambian waiter 35 years her junior, then found he only wanted a British visa. Here, she tells how she's taking delicious revenge

By Natasha Courtenay-Smith
Last updated at 1:52 AM on 29th October 2010

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1324735/Shes-granny-wed-Gambian-waiter-35-years-junior-wanted-British-visa-Here-tells-shes-taking-delicious-revenge.html#ixzz13j1FEgK1

Truly I don't understand what kind of 'revenge' she's talking about. If she passes away within the next five years he will be able to inherit. Is that what she wants?????

Also he's a Muslim. He might can't marry another British woman and leave to the UK but three others from somewhere else will do it too for him.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Princes like this only exist in fairy tales... [Wink]

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why will he inherit??? Where does it say she re-wrote her Will?
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First the marrage needs to be registered in UK or embassy

If he is muslim she would need to make an Islamic will as UK wills are not enforced in an Islamic country. (so she really would need to make two wills) If she continued with relationship

She needs to make a UK will to enforce what she wants.

She can also write to immigration warning that he may try and get into UK. They are quite good at watching out for persona non grata

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly PC. In the UK, Will's are not altered because of a marriage.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's Gambia ? [Confused] This happens daily in Luxor, Sharm, Hurghada...will never stop, we've talked about that zillions of times on ES, what's new ? [Roll Eyes]

That woman (can't believe she's my age) must've had the best sex she'd ever dreamt of, as obviously her toyboy is young and well hung..I don't think she should complain at all, being dry for a decade and not getting any isn't a joke after all. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gambia is somehwere in Africa [Smile] )

I think this sort of stuff is disgusting, she looks like is great grandmother - except for the color of course [Wink]

and I feel sorry for the guy having to have to sacrifice himself like that just to have a chance at a better life.

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Where's Gambia... no where near Egypt in the absolute slightest!!!
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel sorry for her but I don't think she is doing herself any favours by not going for a divorce otherwise she could find he plagues her to reconsider and it just means she can't move on for how many years and has it all ahead of her. She could meet someone else down the line and finds she can't get divorced because he can't be found. Better doing it now while she knows where he is.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel sorry for her too. Why are people always so negative when the woman is older? Big frigging deal. I think people are always quick to judge in these situations yet we often see men in their 50s with much much younger women, no one bats an eyelid yet when a woman does it it's disgusting. The double standards really get on my nerves.
Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But she looks soooooo old! She doesn't look 59, she looks 79! I feel sorry for HIM!
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you get married after you make a Will, it invalidates the Will and your estate passes according to the Intestacy Rules (unless the previous Will was made "in contemplation of marriage"). He would inherit if the marriage was recognised here, and he'd cop the lot if it was below £125,000. If it's more than that, her kids get a share. But whoever was down as Executors in the previous Will would no longer be able to act and the estate would sit in limbo until her kids got a Court Order. The kids couldn't administer the estate under the Intestacy Rules. The Gambian husband would have a legal entitlement before them (maybe not recognised in his own country, but recognised here) to deal with the administration. He would need to be "cleared off". So the kids would have to get an Order of the Court. To get an Order they would need to show that they had contacted Gambian hubby and he was unable/unwilling to act. But then, if the kids were granted the Order, they would have a legal responsibility to administer the estate in the best interest of all the beneficiaries, i.e. mostly him, and paying him his share. Which is enforced with criminal sanctions. Unless they brought a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family & Dependents) Act.

And by the time they'd finished there would be naff all left because it would all have been gobbled up in Court fees and by the blood-sucking lawyers [Wink]

And that is why we don't all run off and marry the Gambian equivalent of Sam Dingle.

But I'm sure she's got that covered...

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1325761/Virginia-Owens-parents-outraged-greedy-lover-200K-savings-vanish.html

Then you read stories like this [Eek!]

Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That one really is sad. And gawd knows what she saw in him. Gigalo? He looks more like a randy uncle.

The Daily Mail does seem to have a chip on its shoulder about cross cultural marriages though doesn't it? I'm sure a pattern is emerging? Is the Brit never the bad guy in anything, ever? Hmm.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
The Daily Mail hates anything that isn't British full stop [Roll Eyes]
It certaily was a shocking and sad story [Frown]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Monkey, I was under the impression upon marriage an existing Will would be revoked and a new Will had to be drawn up as a codicil was not suffice to simply be amended. If the lady in question did not draw up a new Will she may die intestate. Maybe the rules have changed since I wrote my Will.

Sam Dingle... could you imaging kissing him... retch!!!!

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Oh and the Daily Mail hates most Britons!
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
That's right. But you don't have to go and physically destroy it and make a new one for it to be revoked. The act of marriage automatically revokes it. So if she didn't go and make a new Will after getting married, the Intestacy Rules would automatically apply.

It's scary how many people don't keep them up to date.

Aw, I dunno. He's better than Kane (who's bizarrely turned into a Batman type hero character). Must stop getting sucked into soaps.

I can honestly say the only time I read the Mail is on here. In fact, I don't read newspapers at all anymore.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Kane is very hairy! I haven't watched Emmerdale or Corrie for 3 years and only watch Enders as I have a friend here who forces it upon me.

It is scary how many people marry their holiday romance and do not consider their Wills.

I don't even read it online, my life is too short and busy to give a flying feck about such gossip!!! This story isn't News, it is a page filler for folk with no llives.

Comic.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
speaking of wills

An english guy here in Luxor recently died, he was married to an english woman and they had a joint account here.

If there is no EGYPTIAN will the Govt takes ALL

Their account has been frozen, even though its in her name too. She is having a hard time paying hospital bills for them to release the body for burial and friends are helping her out.

All living here, either make an Egyptian will or keep your money in UK!!

Just a warning and something to seriously think about for those living here, even married to egyptians the Govt takes ALL unless there is a will, an EGYPTIAN will.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same thing happened to me. Did finally get it sorted out, took months. I literally nearly died from the stress and despair.
Had to get his will translated and probated in court here, and produce two Moslem witnesses [the original witnesses on the will didn't count] to testify that they knew him well enough to know his wishes.
Luckily our house was in joint names [which for some curious reason was interpreted here as being owned 50/50. WRONG.
Lost the car though.
Even after all that nightmare at least two people have tried to blackmail me, saying that I had 'stolen my husband's money' huh, from his sisters etc.
All I can recommend is for the lady to get a cheap lawyer and VERY respectable witnesses maybe bank manager, business owner?[so they do not look like they've been bribed!]
She has my deepest sympathy, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
For others maybe lodge the will with the bank, get it registered at the registry office before any problems arise.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Very interesting subject... I have mentioned this before as I met an Egyptian who was touting expats to assist with their Wills.

There are a lot of expats here though unaware of this loop hole and it is great that you are highlighting it.

Mo, your story has been the most shocking I have read here in a long while [Frown] I hope this experience is behind you and that everything is now settled.

Death, Wills and division of monies and property is a sensitive matter within the confines of your own family but to have go through being blackmailed and have accusations like you did I feel really sad for you [Frown] On the other hand, thank you so much for sharing your story as I for one will be telling my friends and family what could potentially happen.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo that's awful. The last thing you want on top of suffering the loss of your loved one too.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Bloody hell. That's awful [Frown]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com