EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » English Language Requirement for SV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: English Language Requirement for SV
Sponge
Member # 18715

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sponge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone got any knowledge of the new English Language Requirement for settlement visas??

From end of November 2010 anyone wanting to settle in UK has to have this requirement which is an exam.

Do any of you who have got recent settlement visas have any experience of these and how much they cost? Can't find the right info anywhere. Apparently you only need the speaking/listening part but all of them include reading/writing.

Posts: 171 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/aboutus/features/englishlangrequirementpartners

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/pbs/approvedenglishtestst2.pdf

A list of the recognised and approved certificates accepted for the ELR for UK SVs.

IELTS centres are scattered around Egypt. There are podcasts, websites etc all devoted to IELTS too.

The British Council in Cairo for example run an IELTS course. I don't know the fees as I have never needed the course [Big Grin]

Look through the list and there are numerous options but I do know that IELTS is extremely popular in Egypt. I am sure other folk can assist in this area too.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sponge
Member # 18715

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sponge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, cheers CF. I just wish that all this stuff would have a nice easy flow chart or something instead of links to three million other pages!
Posts: 171 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.examenglish.com/

Here is a site many students who are studying English visit to practise for their tests.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sponge
Member # 18715

Rate Member
Wow, I've had a look... they are not easy.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try looking at the citizenship test then! I think most of us native Brits on here failed it utterly when we tried it!

Anyone passing that thing MUST be a foreigner!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would never have been allowed to stay! Often hubby would ask what I thought of a question and I hummed and hawed as I felt there could be a couple of answers (not a lot of use in a multiple choice answer!) It just involves a lot of studying! Maybe easier if you are not from the UK [Big Grin]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sponge
Member # 18715

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:
Try looking at the citizenship test then! I think most of us native Brits on here failed it utterly when we tried it!

Is that the one that's all about politics and history! I had a go at one of them and failed it twice!!
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
useful - ahem - stuff like 'Who is Santa Claus' and none of the answers you could choose from were "a made up bunch of hokum where we routinely lie to kids and then berate them later for telling lies and merging a number of different myths from around the world and wearing clothes originating in a coca cola ad from 1929"

What percent of single mothers in Wales claim unemployment benfit? 4%, 5% or 6% !!!

and other similar garbage.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sponge
Member # 18715

Rate Member
Ah yes I remember them!! Because I don't know about you but in my spare time I love to study the economic state of Wales and how many people are claiming benefits... WTF?!

I know they want to make sure that they don't let every single person in but what benefit is all that to anyone?!

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Reality is...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com