EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » What's with all these sticky threads, Shanta?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's with all these sticky threads, Shanta?
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you may have noticed, the forum is being overrun with spam. So, as I cannot keep up with deleting the spammers' crapola and actually have time to go eat, use the bathroom etc, I have decided to feature the last 6 weeks' worth of genuine topics so that if you enter the Share Your Egyptian section of the forum, you will see genuine topics at the top.

Unfortunately, if our friend Mr disant continues posting spam, that will show in the 'get daily' and in the 'latest post' areas, but if you come to the actual shared itself, you may find genuine threads!

I will look now and then to add any new genuine threads to sticky (and drop any that have had no new posts in forever if the stickies fill up a whole page).

Suggest you just bump this thread if there's too much spam!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am impressed! The Shanta Strikes Back! [Smile]
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
clever girl!

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just logged in and my eyes were beginning to hurt seeing all that spam [Frown]
Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, good idea [Smile]
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

As you may have noticed, the forum is being overrun with spam. So, as I cannot keep up with deleting the spammers' crapola and actually have time to go eat, use the bathroom etc, I have decided to feature the last 6 weeks' worth of genuine topics so that if you enter the Share Your Egyptian section of the forum, you will see genuine topics at the top.

Unfortunately, if our friend Mr disant continues posting spam, that will show in the 'get daily' and in the 'latest post' areas, but if you come to the actual shared itself, you may find genuine threads!

I will look now and then to add any new genuine threads to sticky (and drop any that have had no new posts in forever if the stickies fill up a whole page).

Suggest you just bump this thread if there's too much spam!

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

bump
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and it sucks with UBB you have do every admin task long hand.

Thanks for your efforts Shanta. Despite all the spam ES is still a very great time saver when it comes to going through my links to find worthwhile info on Egypt.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

bump
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
M'kay, I've checked in a few times this weekend and all I'm getting is this spamming crap. I've seen VW go on a bumping frenzy (and hats off her to her for trying) but it's a losing battle because the spam freak seems to be on auto pilot now posting in 3 minute intervals (it doesn't sleep, it's bizarre ??) - add to that it seems to be inviting all of its friends... Well, it's really crappy IMO, and it looks set to get worse.

I can build a new site inside of an hour and we can all go off, call each other fatties, liars, psychos, perverts and what not as normal if you all want, but as Metinoot says, this site has a pretty long history and actually, amongst all the dross, some useful info. Shanta, is the owner contactable at all? Can't they just give you the power to zap these little feckers? I'm about done with checking in just for spam as it stands.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Erm... Ooooook then. Shines a little light on it for me. Can't say I'd give a monkey's either if my home address was in Hawaii [Cool]

Way, way [Cool]

There isn't much spam in Egyptology etc. - can the mods there delete posts, or is that just how fast-moving they are? There must be a way to fix this [Confused] This little gimp isn't going away in a hurry - this much is obvious.

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Nah, it ain't Hawaii [Frown]
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
Erm... Ooooook then. Shines a little light on it for me. Can't say I'd give a monkey's either if my home address was in Hawaii [Cool]

Way, way [Cool]

There isn't much spam in Egyptology etc. - can the mods there delete posts, or is that just how fast-moving they are? There must be a way to fix this [Confused] This little gimp isn't going away in a hurry - this much is obvious.

Egyptology
(Moderated by: ausar, Mansa Musa, Henu)

And the AE forum is moderated by ausar.

Either these Indian and CHinese spammers don't want to screw with the race nuts or they don't consider them a viable economic target for spam.

Either way I did notice the spammers on non-racenut sections of ES are not spamming the racenuts sections.

I wonder why?

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Coz no one who goes into a debate with the afro/kkk nuts comes again out sane of mind? [Smile]

Because the mod is deleting them I'd say, but there again looking through the threads, there are some. But these guys are most active - they create a continuous stream of traffic to ES, so maybe the spammers actually recognise this and have decided to leave well alone and spam here instead?

The spam I don't think is targeted advertising as such. Although the recent inclusion of banners does make you wonder. On the webmaster forums there are a million guys offering to get your site to page one of google - they do this by posting links on high ranking forums like this one (ES is a pretty high ranking site). The google spider stumbles around the internet and the more links it finds to your site, the better it thinks it is (to start with at least). So every link these a$$es put here, the more powerful that site they're linking to becomes. Unless they happen to get a manual, human (rare) google reviewer trip up on it, realise it's linking to a completely unrelated site (are all these pharaceuticals brands indigenous to Egypt?) and deinex it completely.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
wait a minute. or it could mean the moderators of the Egyptology and AE sections never need to take a ****, hold down a job, visit with RL friends, shower, and all their meals can be microwaved within feet of their internet terminal.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RaZ7btje5Jo/TNrZN6FOINI/AAAAAAAABCQ/ywxubTzjKNI/s1600/really-fat-guy-on-computer.jpg

Ausar exposed! And he is a white guy. Actually I notice there are certain admin tasks Ausar cannot do, but someone sammi gets around to taking care of those tasks ultra fast and ignores the rest of the board.

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Erm... Not quite seeing the connection, and definitely not feeling the need to see Ausar "exposed", but heyho.

If the owner doesn't want to be bothered with taking care of things themselves (and I can understand that - they've probably got umpteen sites/things on their plate) they just need to give all their mods the power to sort it out for them, and not just in the Egyptology department. All these unrelated BS links are hurting their site, at the end of the day.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
Erm... Not quite seeing the connection, and definitely not feeling the need to see Ausar "exposed", but heyho.

If the owner doesn't want to be bothered with taking care of things themselves (and I can understand that - they've probably got umpteen sites/things on their plate) they just need to give all their mods the power to sort it out for them, and not just in the Egyptology department. All these unrelated BS links are hurting their site, at the end of the day.

I know how many sites Sammi owns, this one and deathvalley.com

Only two, and the other site is generally maintained by a business partner.

THis site is ignored, except for AE and Egyptology. WHen a request is made by someone other than the mods of those sections the request is dealt with quickly.

You'd have to notice, but deleting a thread; which none of the mods can do. Happens pretty quickly when the thread topic is something Sammi Afifi cares about.

He's coptic and certain discussions will get zapped pretty quickly because of his loyalties.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

What I'm doing is - if I become aware of a new genuine thread, adding it to the feature list and then dropping a featured thread which hasn't had posts for ages, and linking it from the appropriate sticky 'new questions - ' topic above.

Hope that makes sense!

It is now pointless trying to bump over the spam as they are posting continually every 2-3 minutes 24/7.

You will have to come to this area of the forum and check down the sticky threads to find new info - sorry about this there is nothing else I can do.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

PS - regarding the areas of the forum (Afronuts, Living) which haven't been overrun (yet?) - it's not about the proactivity of the mods, simply that they haven't hit there yet. Yes, there are a few spams in there of the 'convert your mpeg' or 'buy adidas clothing' types going in there, but these other guys haven't arrived.
Once they do, it's lost.

Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes. ES is in serious need of an upgrade to modern forum software. The spam issue (and others) would be essentially nonexistent.

The old UBB this thing is using could easily be converted to SMF with a Stop Spammer module added in. Would probably take less than an afternoon to do it.

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Any 'sticky' thread with no posts for more than a month will be demoted to non-sticky.

(Bumps and random remarks or random letters will not count to keep the thread sticky - meaningful relevant comments only).

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by Ford Prefect (not perfect):
Yikes. ES is in serious need of an upgrade to modern forum software. The spam issue (and others) would be essentially nonexistent.

The old UBB this thing is using could easily be converted to SMF with a Stop Spammer module added in. Would probably take less than an afternoon to do it.

There is only one person who can do that, and unfortunately it's not me!
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

As I make this post, with the exception of the 10 or so sticky threads on page 1, the first 27 pages of this area of ES now consist entirely of pharmacy spams posted since 26th May.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:
As I make this post, with the exception of the 10 or so sticky threads on page 1, the first 27 pages of this area of ES now consist entirely of pharmacy spams posted since 26th May.

27 pages!!!!!

The dear owners are letting it be flushed, ES is dead, RIP ES, after 7 years met some great people here, had good times and bad. sad but not much anyone can do if the owners don't give a toss. Well done shanta, a seriously thankless task.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

The spam has been cleaned so I am unstickying most of the posts.
I will leave the FAQ stickied at the top.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:
The spam has been cleaned so I am unstickying most of the posts.
I will leave the FAQ stickied at the top.

Did the spam stop here on ES?

I don't think i have logged in over the last month at least.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Yes, the major spam attack (the every 3 minutes, 24/7 for a month thing that went on) has been stopped - Sammy blocked the IPs and cleaned them out.
MyJuliet
Member # 19428

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MyJuliet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
after 7 years met some great people here, had good times and bad. sad but not much anyone can do if the owners don't give a toss. Well done shanta, a seriously thankless task.

--------------------
Buy RS Gold|Tera Money

Posts: 4 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Sorry people, the spammers are coming back in spades and are posting too many for me to deal with.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com