EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » American Woman Marrying an Egyptian Man??? Please Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: American Woman Marrying an Egyptian Man??? Please Help
Katelynn
Member # 19514

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katelynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, this may be an unformal way to start out with asking questions and such on this site, but there is this small predicament that has been confusing me so much so im hoping with all the experience I see happening on this site, someone will be able to help me with this.

First off, my name is Katelynn. I live in the United States (Louisiana) and have been recently engaged to an Egyptian man who lives in Kafr El Sheikh. Ive known him for about 6 months now and we decided to take our relationship to the next step.

He is muslim, and I am a newly-found jewish person. Technically there are no papers stating that I am jewish because me and my family were raised in a catholic household with my mother and I didn't realize until after I was 13 that I wanted to follow the family values that Judaism reflects on. So I will just say for the marriage that I am christian and then continue to practice my fate afterwards. So you all know, he doesn't have a problem with my religion.

I have been doing some research online and it has honestly turned into a downfall. Im not sure what documents I need, what documents he will need, nor what procedures we will both need to take in order to get married. Our original plan was to get married in December (next time I go to visit him in Egypt) but with all this confusion it may not happen. I would hope so, but we shall see.
The questions I have are
1. What documents I need, do I need to translate them all into Arabic, and if so where do I have that done?
2. Where does this all need to be done? Who do I need to talk to? Who does he need to talk to in Egypt?
3. How do I get a document stating that I am Christian, does a baptism certificate count?
4. Where do I learn about Egyptian Family Law for women as a spouse and a mother? Links will be helpful or comments either way.

Please help me clear this confusion. Thank you all [Smile]

Posts: 6 | From: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Katelynn, may I suggest that before you rush into marriage, you come to Egypt and live independently for a while. See what life is like in Egypt, get to know the society, the culture, his familly, Kafr El Sheikh etc. I think this is vitally important as many a marriage has failed when the foreign spouse could not adjust to Egyptian society. Adjust first then marry later is my advice. I lived and worked in Egypt for 5 years before marrying and have been married 27 years.

While here you can find out about all the paperwork, or your man should be able to do that.

Egyptian family law is very discriminatory against women, but as a foreigner you can normally pick yourself up and leave if anything goes wrong. The only obstacle would be children, so it's advisable to discuss them before marriage.

Absolutely no need to rush... give yourself time to get to know your man in his environment as you would in the US.

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katelynn
Member # 19514

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katelynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it will take a couple years before I can go live in Egypt. I am in school right now as is he, he has another two years and I have three. So that part I will not be able to do soon, but thank you for telling me the way to learn about Egyptian Law is to actually go there and live there for a while. Im trying to find out what types of jobs are available there after I leave college because we both believe that both of us should work. Would you happen to know what kind of careers are available near this area? thank you [Smile]

--------------------
K. M. R.

Posts: 6 | From: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Have you two met in person?
Have you visited Egypt?
Take it slowly ,go there and see how it is and meet his family.
Learn about the culture etc,
Please don't rush into anything.
How old are you both
These kind of relationships can be very complicated.
Just don't get married yet.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Katelynn:
Well, it will take a couple years before I can go live in Egypt. I am in school right now as is he, he has another two years and I have three. So that part I will not be able to do soon, but thank you for telling me the way to learn about Egyptian Law is to actually go there and live there for a while. Im trying to find out what types of jobs are available there after I leave college because we both believe that both of us should work. Would you happen to know what kind of careers are available near this area? thank you [Smile]

Are you sure you are for real? [Roll Eyes]

Seems you either are in high school at the most,or you are not for real,seriously.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Would you happen to know what kind of careers are available near this area? thank you [Smile]

I have visted Kafr Sheikh and stayed there for a few days, so trust me you are talking about the back of beyond and the only 'career' is farming or farming or farming. If you are happy to spend you life milking cows and picking cotton then go for it. If not have a serious rethink.

By the way your man probably wants to go to the USA, every young person I have ever spoken to in places like this is looking for a way out....and sadly by marry nieve girls like you is the only way they can get out and make it to the land of milk and honey that they think the West is.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hello, this may be an unformal way to start out with asking questions and such on this site, but there is this small predicament that has been confusing me so much so im hoping with all the experience I see happening on this site, someone will be able to help me with this.

First off, my name is Katelynn. I live in the United States (Louisiana) and have been recently engaged to an Egyptian man who lives in Kafr El Sheikh. Ive known him for about 6 months now and we decided to take our relationship to the next step.

He is muslim, and I am a newly-found jewish person. Technically there are no papers stating that I am jewish because me and my family were raised in a catholic household with my mother and I didn't realize until after I was 13 that I wanted to follow the family values that Judaism reflects on. So I will just say for the marriage that I am christian and then continue to practice my fate afterwards. So you all know, he doesn't have a problem with my religion.

I have been doing some research online and it has honestly turned into a downfall. Im not sure what documents I need, what documents he will need, nor what procedures we will both need to take in order to get married. Our original plan was to get married in December (next time I go to visit him in Egypt) but with all this confusion it may not happen. I would hope so, but we shall see.
The questions I have are
1. What documents I need, do I need to translate them all into Arabic, and if so where do I have that done?
2. Where does this all need to be done? Who do I need to talk to? Who does he need to talk to in Egypt?
3. How do I get a document stating that I am Christian, does a baptism certificate count?
4. Where do I learn about Egyptian Family Law for women as a spouse and a mother? Links will be helpful or comments either way.

If there is more than a 25 year age gap between you and your beloved, it wouldn't be legally recognized in Egypt anyhow.

Nor have you indicated whether you have met him in person. If you are going over there to get married to a dude you met over the internet the State Department and INS might have issues with your spousal petition for a entrance visa.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
quote:
Would you happen to know what kind of careers are available near this area? thank you [Smile]

I have visted Kafr Sheikh and stayed there for a few days, so trust me you are talking about the back of beyond and the only 'career' is farming or farming or farming. If you are happy to spend you life milking cows and picking cotton then go for it. If not have a serious rethink.

By the way your man probably wants to go to the USA, every young person I have ever spoken to in places like this is looking for a way out....and sadly by marry nieve girls like you is the only way they can get out and make it to the land of milk and honey that they think the West is.

naive
Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katelynn
Member # 19514

Rate Member
really people??? ok, first of all I have met him. He was here for a study abroad for the past year. I have known him for that whole year and we have been together for 6 months. so I am not "nieve." and there is not much of an age different. I am 20 and he is 26. There is no "25 year age difference" nor is he an egyptian man looking for an older foreigner. I know he loves me for who I am, not because he is looking for a life here because he is the same as me. We do not like america nor american ways honestly. I feel appalled that you people are judging me just because there are certain questions that I didn't answer yet. I am suprised that you are asking me if we've met, but i understand if you've known people who are this nieve. I hope this broadens things a little more.

--------------------
K. M. R.

Katelynn
Member # 19514

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mimmi:
Hi,
Have you two met in person?
Have you visited Egypt?
Take it slowly ,go there and see how it is and meet his family.
Learn about the culture etc,
Please don't rush into anything.
How old are you both
These kind of relationships can be very complicated.
Just don't get married yet.

Yes, we've met in person
I have not visited before, but i am going to meet his family in december in egypt.
I am currently learning a little about the culture, but i plan on going to ammad,jordan this summer for study abroad to learn more about the culture.
I am not planning on rushing anything, we want to be more comfortable. I do understand these relationships are complicated, but they're not impossible if both people are committed. I hope you dont think of me as being "nieve" as the others who added to this post. Thank you [Smile]

Katelynn
Member # 19514

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
quote:

The questions I have are

If there is more than a 25 year age gap between you and your beloved, it wouldn't be legally recognized in Egypt anyhow.

Nor have you indicated whether you have met him in person. If you are going over there to get married to a dude you met over the internet the State Department and INS might have issues with your spousal petition for a entrance visa.

Ummm, first of all there is not a 25 year age difference. That is disgusting. And of course Ive met him in person. He has been here on study abroad for the past year and weve been dating for six months since hes been here. No im not that nieve to marry someone i do not know, nor am i marrying him for a "green card". We dont even plan on living in america. I understand you've probably met some nieve people as far as these things come, but dont judge me based on the information i gave. All you had to do was ask.
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you check the American Embassy website there will be guidance on marrying there. I am guessing you are single not divorced so that will simplify the procedure.

Possibly you might need your birth certificate, take it to be on the safe side.

You don't need proof of your religious status AFAIK

All translations will be done here.

I wish you the best, it sounds like your relationship could be a really good one.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukez
Member # 16037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
honey, screw what u think the law would say...your gonna have his family to deal with.

overall, i cant wrap my head around how u can be engaged to someone a gizillion miles away. i mean, they DO have women in egypt. but then again, he most likely doesnt want to pay the dowry.

rots a ruck..ur gonna need it.

Posts: 221 | From: philly | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com