EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Classifieds » Import tax on personal goods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Import tax on personal goods
Shushi
Member # 2417

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shushi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any idea how much I would be charged to bring items from England to my new apartment in Egypt. I was thinking of things like light fittings, taps and soft furnishings - all for my personal use. Any information or personal experiences would be most appreciated. Many thanks.
Posts: 26 | From: Darlington, Co. Durham, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well when my friend came here (from england), she brought a bed spread with her, which took up almost a whole suitcase, and she wasn't charged anything.

When I went to abu dhabi 2 years ago, i brought back wooden shelves with me & also wasn't charged anything.

Posts: 537 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, do you mean you want to import stuff or take it with you when you come to Egypt?
Posts: 537 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shushi
Member # 2417

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shushi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your replies everyone. What I want to do is buy items here in England and bring them to Egypt. I am wondering how much tax I will have to pay on the items when I enter Egypt. Alternatively, I was thinking of shipping a large amount of things in a container, but am afraid of the tax I may have to pay - do you still have to pay tax when the items are for your personal home? Anyone any information on this subject?

Many thanks.

Posts: 26 | From: Darlington, Co. Durham, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Shushi!

It’s difficult for people to give advice on this subject at the moment as there have just been some major changes in the customs duty on many things and people won’t know for a while what the actual effect of the changes will be. But up to now they definitely charged import duty on certain personal items, especially electrical goods and new clothing if you shipped them into the country. If you do a search on the forum under “shipping” or “customs duty” you will be able to get some useful information, insha Allah.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shushi
Member # 2417

Rate Member
Thanks for your comments newcommer, I will cetainly do a search as you suggest and perhaps wait until the new changes become clearer before buying a lot of items.
Thanks once again.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com