EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Who is your favoriet Per aa ,Pharoah and historical period (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who is your favoriet Per aa ,Pharoah and historical period
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My person favoriet has always been sneowrset I,and I have always loved the 12th dyansty.

The 12th dyansty was such a great period of culture litterature,and conquest for the ancient kemetians. .

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imhotep
Member # 1745

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
My person favoriet has always been sneowrset I,and I have always loved the 12th dyansty.

The 12th dyansty was such a great period of culture litterature,and conquest for the ancient kemetians.

I have 3 favorite pharaohs.Their achievements are listed below.
Ahmose I (1570-1546) Expulsion of the Hyksos invaders, unification of the state, and creation of a new Dynasty. Burial:? Dra Abu el-Naga.

Seti I (1291-1278) Art and culture reached new heights. Successful military campaigns into Syria-Palestine, and Libya. First campaign against the Hittites. Building work begins on the Great Hypostyle Hall at Karnak, and Temple of Abydos. Burial: Tomb KV17 Valley of the Kings.

Amenemhet III (Nimaatre) (1817-1772 BC) completed the building of the great waterwheels of the Fayum, thus diverting the flood waters of the Nile into Lake Moeris. The irrigation system and an overflow canal, was used to drain the marshes. An estimated 153,600 acres of fertile land was reclaimed from the water.
Amenemhet raised two colossal statues of himself nearby to celebrate this feat. Among his many achievements was the famous Labyrinth, also known as the Pyramid of Hawara, one of the great wonders of the ancient world. The central burial chamber of the pyramid, carved from a single block of granite, is estimated to have weighed 110 tons. His pyramidal tomb was built at Dashur, which he abandoned in favor of the Hawara Pyramid.
Under Amenemhet copper was mined in the Sinai and local mines, often under dreadful conditions for the miners.

Posts: 62 | From: Se, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun
Member # 1813

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Amun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its really hard to single out one Pharoah. I have a few.

Here are my 3 favorites:

1 - Taharka
2 - Akhenaten
3 - Hatshepsut

I will post on Taharka first:

From www.Nubianet.org

quote:

The greatest of the Kushite pharaohs was Taharqa, who ruled twenty-six years. A son of Piankhy by a minor wife, he came to Egypt as a youth. After a distinguished career in the army, he succeeded to the throne of Shebitqo in 690 BC at the age of about 32. In his first decade, he won significant military victories over eastern and western desert peoples, controlled the western oases and established an Egyptian sphere of influence over the Phoenician port cities and Philistia.

He was also the most prolific and original builder of his age. His misfortunes came in the latter half of his reign. His two predecessors had provoked the Assyrian kings (ruling what is now northern Iraq) by conspiring with the petty rulers of Palestine, Phoenicia, and Judah to block their military advance to the east. The effort had been futile. By 674 BC the Assyrians had reached the Mediterranean, had brought all of Taharqa's Near Eastern allies into submission, and now focused their wrath on Egypt itself. They attempted invasions almost annually and finally forced Taharqa in 669 to withdraw ignominiously to Napata, after losing his army, his capital Memphis, his treasure, his chief wife and sons to the enemy. Within five years he was dead, buried in a colossal (but now much ruined) pyramid at Nuri, which is visible from the summit of Gebel Barkal and about 6 mi (10 km) distant on the opposite bank.

Taharqa's nephew and successor Tanutaman (ca. 664-653 BC), a son of Shabaqo, was able to re-enact successfully the achievement of his father and uncle by reconquering Egypt one more time in 663 B.C. However, the Assyrians returned the following year with a vengeance and expelled him and his dynasty from Egypt for the last time. The ensuing Assyrian sack of Thebes was a disaster from which the Egyptian Amun cult never fully recovered. The subsequent seizure of Upper Egypt by the kings of Sais in the Delta - who had collaborated with the Assyrians against the Kushites - must have been perplexing events for the Nubian priests and galling events for the Nubian kings, whose formerly vast kingdom was now restricted to the northern Sudan.

More Interesting info on Taharka

quote:

In 700 B.C during the 25 dynasty in Egypt, when the Ethiopian Warrior-Prince Taharka was a young general, but before he had been ceded the throne by his uncle Shabataka. It is this same Taharka (referred to in early Spanish chronicles as Tarraco) that led a garrison into Spain and invaded it during this period. There is clear and indisputable reference to this in a manuscript by Florian de Ocampo, Cronica General published in Medina del Campo in 1553. The name of the invading general is given as Tarraco. He is not only identified as head of the Ethiopian army. The reference is more specific. It says he was later to become a king of Egypt.

The name, the period, the historical fact of his generalship and his later kingship of Egypt, his Ethiopian origin and the wide ranging trade and exploration of the Ethiopian in this period, all attest to the validity of this reference.

Also the most persuasive of all is the fact that cartouches of the Upper Egyptian kings of this period have been found in Spain!Evidence of such cartouches may be found in the journal of the Epigraphic Society (Vol.7, No. 171-April 1971)[Golden Age of the Moor by Ivan Van Sermita]

Taharka was evem mentioned in the Hebrew Bible, under the name 'Taharqa'. Taharka[Taharqa/Tarraco] Also led a Army into Palestine to support the Israelite king Hezekiah against the Assyrians; Defending Israel who was his ally. He is therefore in the Bible in two places, 2 Kings 19:9, and Isaiah 37:9. For this and other feats, Strabo [Greek Scholar] included Taharka in a list of history's greatest conquerors. Taharka was also mentioned by Another Roman historian, Diodorus of Sicily.

I am an aspiring film maker and have long considered writing a screenplay about Taharqa. Any suggestions?

This is a great topic and I will post more on it later on...

[This message has been edited by Amun (edited 26 February 2003).]

Posts: 338 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chu
Member # 1737

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Hatshepsut - Because in general I love it when women break the mold of male dominance and become rulers.

2. Akhenaten - Because it is the first time we see stylization in portraiture, as an artist I can appreciate that.

However, I'd like to learn more about the Pharoahs of the old kingdom and late in Ancient Egypt's empire.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have many favourites..... but mainly because they are the ones we all know about. Less famous pharoahs somehow dont seem to compete on an amateur level.

But my personal favourites with regard to my own knowledge and experiences are Seti 1 (Abydos is wonderful), Akhenaton (the heretic pharoah?), and Zoser (simply because I love the Step Pyramid) Maybe one day I will be able to change my favourites after I learn more about the lesser known pharoahs.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obenga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amun, Taharka is a favourite of mine also. Djimon Honsou or michael clarke Duncan for the lead role??
Posts: 404 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun
Member # 1813

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Obenga:
Amun, Taharka is a favourite of mine also. Djimon Honsou or michael clarke Duncan for the lead role??

Djimon Honsou is great, I don't think Michael Clarke Duncan fits my image of Taharka very well. I always thought Omar Epps would fit the role pretty well.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun
Member # 1813

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Amun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite period in ancient Egypt is the 18th Dynasty. This dynasty appears to be Egypt's last Golden Age. It appears to be Egypt's last period of internal stability. What I like most about this period is the realism in the art.

Senmut

Inebny, commander of bowmen under Hatshepsut

Nefertiti

Queen Tiye

King Tut

[This message has been edited by Amun (edited 26 February 2003).]

Amun
Member # 1813

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Amun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akhenaten - "Heretic or Moses?"

Akhenaten gets a bad rap from a lot of Egyptologists. Many call him a madman. I like him and I see nothing wrong with him except he was a little eccentric. He was the youngest son of Amenhotep III and Queen Tiye. Akhenaten was a favorite son of Queen Tiye and she had some say in the decison to make him heir to Amenhotep III's throne.

After Amenhotep III's death, Akhenaten made his father a deity(Aten). He built a temple of Aten next to an Amun temple and a city in middle Egypt named Akhetaten. Needless to say, the high priests of the Amun cult weren't very happy with Akhenaten's new religion.

Akhenaten's wife and most devout follower of his new religion was Nefertiti who was possibly his first-cousin.

His reign lasted 16 years. No one knows exactly what led to the end of his reign. Some believe he died but others believe he was the personification of the biblical "Moses" and led his Aten cult into exile in the Sinai. His ties to Judaism aren't that far fetched when you consider that Akhenaten's Hymn to Aten is similar to Pslam 104 in the bible.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
''Hatshepsut - Because in general I love it when women break the mold of male dominance and become rulers. ''

Actually the first true female monarch was during the 12th dyansty. Queen Sobeknefru ruled as a pharoah,but her reign was not very long.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Do you have pictures of Akenaten,and Nefertiti's children ??

Amun
Member # 1813

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

This is an unknown Amarna princess

Ankheseptaton

They had other daughters but these are the only images I could find on the net. A good book to read with beautiful pictures of the Amarna princesses is "Silent Images: Women in Pharaonic Egypt" by Zahi Hawass. I know Hawass isn't one of your favorite Egyptologists, Ausur, but the book gives excellent background on the role of women in ancient Egypt.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
I have read that book before. I will see if I can find some of akenaten daughters pictures.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member

Chu
Member # 1737

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
''Hatshepsut - Because in general I love it when women break the mold of male dominance and become rulers. ''

Actually the first true female monarch was during the 12th dyansty. Queen Sobeknefru ruled as a pharoah,but her reign was not very long.

I'm not saying she was the first, but she is the one I know the most about. A the fact that she represented herself as a man shows a certain defiance that I find interesting (It is speculated that Tuthmose III had her killed and had her name stricken from every monument of her out of jealousy)

Posts: 147 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun
Member # 1813

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Amun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are many great kings who are unknown. Thutmose III was a great king but he is know mostly for being the half-brother of Hatshepsut.

Here is a brief bio on Thutmose III:

quote:

Thutmose III, is my favourite Pharaoh. He possessed all the qualities of a great ruler. A brilliant general who never lost a battle, he also excelled as an administrator and statesman. He was an accomplished horseman, archer, athlete and discriminating patron of the arts. His reign, with the exception of the uncharacteristic spite against the memory of Hatshepsut, was notable for its lack of bad taste and brutality. Thutmose had no time for pompous, self-indulgent bombast and his records show him to be a sincere and fair-minded man.

During Hatshepsut's reign there were no wars. Egypt’s neighbouring countries regularly paid tribute but as is often the case when a new king comes to the throne subject nations are inclined to test his resolve.

Thutmose found himself faced with a coalition of the princes of Kadesh and Megiddo, who had mobilised a large army. Also the Mesopotamians and their kinsmen living in Syria refused to pay tribute and declared themselves free of Egypt. Not daunted, Thutmose immediately set out with his army and crossing the Sinai desert he marched to the city of Gaza, which had remained loyal to Egypt. The events of the campaign are well documented because Thutmose's private secretary, Tjaneni, kept a record which was later copied and engraved onto the walls of the temple of Karnak.

Thutmose III is compared with Napoleon but unlike Napoleon he never lost a battle. He conducted sixteen campaigns in Palestine, Syria and Nubia and his treatment of the conquered was always humane. He established a sort of Pax Egyptiaca over his empire. Syria and Palestine were obliged to keep the peace and the region as a whole experience an unprecedented degree of prosperity.

Thutmose III's impact upon Egyptian culture was profound. He was a national hero who was revered long after his time. Indeed his name was held in awe even to the last days of Egyptian history. Besides his military achievements he carried out many building works at Karnak. He also set up a number of obelisks in Egypt. One of which, mistakenly called Cleopatra's Needle, now stands on the Embankment in London. It's brother is in Central Park in New York. Another is near the Lateran in Rome and there is also one of his obelisks in Istanbul. Therefore, he has had an unwitting presence in some of the most powerful nations of the last two thousand years.

http://www.eyelid.co.uk/k-q3.htm

Amun
Member # 1813

Rate Member
How should Thutmosis III be judged? Was he a good or bad per aa?

He may or may not have killed his half-sister but he was one of Egypt's greatest rulers and led his nation to a period of prosperity and wealth. I think he deserves more positive press...

Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For now, I'd have to go with Horemheb or Snefru. Horemheb because he made laws to end corruption and give power to the little people, which Ramses II seems to have undone.

Snefru because he was known as a well liked leader. Don't know how much of this is true if you were dragging stone blocks, but building projects would have been a part of any Per aa's reign.

As far as Tutmos III, there is speculation that he did not dismantle Hat's monuments until 20 or so years into his reign, and he did show depictions of he and her ruling together. So we don't know the exact details of why he seemed to try to destroy her memory. Some say it could have been simply because a female could not be Per aa and Tutmos was just trying to ensure Maat.

And some people speculate that Hat was simply a figurehead for Amen priests, and with her ascension to the throne she made the Amun priests almost rival the Per aa in power. Later Per aa's supposedly tried hard to reverse these trends, culminating with Akhenaten who simply rejected Amen, as well as all other Gods other than Aten, and sought to destroy his name.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcus
Member # 3035

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Meritaten on the right:

Posts: 87 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keino
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite is the 18th dynasty...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Mine is the 12th dyansty which came from Abu[modern Aswan. Amenemhet I,Senworset I,II,III,and so on...

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Who is your favorite Per aa ,Pharaoh and historical period"
What is all this 'peraa' business?
A title for the Egyptian king was 'great double-house' and not 'great house.' Per in Egyptian means house, the plural 'double house' is fer. The correct title for the Egyptian king is (surprise!) Ferao.
Without question, the most important Fero was the legendary Nekhemite Narmer (Mene) whose political regime managed through sheer tenacity to unite the scattered tribal fiefdoms that had overflowed the lower Nile valley from the Sudanic civilizations, into a unified nation, thus ushering in the millenniums of Pharaonic Egyptian Civilization. Indeed, the most important word on Narmer's tablet, indicated by the two improbable beasts with their necks entwined, is "Khest" or "Unity."

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Thutmose III was the greatest.
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
A title for the Egyptian king was 'great double-house' and not 'great house.' Per in Egyptian means house, the plural 'double house' is fer. The correct title for the Egyptian king is (surprise!) Ferao.
Without question, the most important Fero was the legendary Nekhemite Narmer (Mene) whose political regime managed through sheer tenacity to unite the scattered tribal fiefdoms that had overflowed the lower Nile valley from the Sudanic civilizations, into a unified nation, thus ushering in the millenniums of Pharaonic Egyptian Civilization. Indeed, the most important word on Narmer's tablet, indicated by the two improbable beasts with their necks entwined, is "Khest" or "Unity."

Aside from the scorpion glyph, was the Pharaoh, on the Narmer Paalette actually named on the tablet?

[This message has been edited by Kem-Au (edited 25 February 2004).]

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackman
Member # 1807

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:
I think Thutmose III was the greatest.

Neo,
I like Thutmose III also because of his military conquest and the 18th Dynasty is interesting with a lot of documented history.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kem-Au:
Aside from the scorpion glyph, was the Pharaoh, on the Narmer Paalette actually named on the tablet?

[This message has been edited by Kem-Au (edited 25 February 2004).]

[IMG] http://guardian.curtin.edu/cga/art/narmer.jpg[/IMG]
The word to the right of the Pharaoh, wearing the crown of Upper Egypt, is his Horus name of "Narmer."
If we're casting movies here, this is a perfect Denzel Washington vehicle. You think?

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:

[IMG] http://guardian.curtin.edu/cga/art/narmer.jpg[/IMG]
The word to the right of the Pharaoh, wearing the crown of Upper Egypt, is his Horus name of "Narmer."
If we're casting movies here, this is a perfect Denzel Washington vehicle. You think?

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Shucks! Egyptsearch keeps modifying my code! Try this: http://guardian.curtin.edu/cga/art/narmer.jpg
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
This view of Narmer's tablet or palette shows the two improbable beasts with their necks entwined, the Ancient Egyptian word ("khest") for political unification.
http://www.knua.ac.kr/images/Egypt/b%20palette%20of%20narmer.JPG

Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:

[IMG] ]http://guardian.curtin.edu/cga/art/narmer.jpg[/IMG]

I don't know about Denzel. Narmer had a more tough, yet approachable look. I'd go with Michael Clarke Duncan (from the Scorpion King and Daredevil).

Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Ayazid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that greatest pharaoh was Alexander the Great! Why? So, for Wally, the greatest pharaoh is Taharka, because he was black and because Wally is GOOD black man, he MUST choose HIM. And I am half-European and Alexander was also European, so I choose Alexander!!!
Posts: 653 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
I don't know about Denzel. Narmer had a more tough, yet approachable look. I'd go with Michael Clarke Duncan (from the Scorpion King and Daredevil).

In our fantasy movie, yes, I agree that MCDuncan has the "right look" for the role, except of course that Narmer was probably less than 6 feet tall! But if we were to produce our movie, we would also have to consider who was the best box office draw. Bottom line, you know...
Michael: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/entertainment/0003/oscar.bios/duncan.html

Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:
In our fantasy movie, yes, I agree that MCDuncan has the "right look" for the role, except of course that Narmer was probably less than 6 feet tall! But if we were to produce our movie, we would also have to consider who was the best box office draw. Bottom line, you know...
Michael: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/entertainment/0003/oscar.bios/duncan.html

Well it does all really boil down to dollars. I assume this is why Will Smith was asked to play Taharqa. I've never liked any movie he was in unless it was a comedy. Ali bored me to tears. Well actually, it bored me to sleep. But I must admit I'm very interested to see how this movie turns out.

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Well it does all really boil down to dollars. I assume this is why Will Smith was asked to play Taharqa. I've never liked any movie he was in unless it was a comedy. Ali bored me to tears. Well actually, it bored me to sleep. But I must admit I'm very interested to see how this movie turns out.

I agree with you about Will Smith, but Carl Franklin (the director) is real good. Taharka is one of the outstanding and accomplished Egyptian pharaohs (the dynasty that restored Egyptian legitimacy) but for real drama he (Franklin) might have read about the feuds of the Thutmoses (T-i,T-ii, T-iii, Hatshepst). Even Shakespeare would have loved this dynastic drama. I read this years ago, so I'm gonna try and find the definitive source on this...

Keino
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Guys I'm lost here. What movie are we talking about? When is it due out? and what is it about? Please fill me in!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Keino:

Guys I'm lost here. What movie are we talking about? When is it due out? and what is it about? Please fill me in!!

[Africana.com Q&A]So, what other projects might you have up your sleeve?

[Film Director Carl Franklin]"I’m actually working on four projects right now. I’m finishing up a screenplay called The Last Pharaoh, which is about Taharka, a Nubian warrior from the 25th dynasty, and his conflicts against the Assyrians in 1701 B.C. — it’s sort of an action romance. So far, Will Smith is attached. I’m also working on Stephen L. Carter’s, The Emperor of Ocean Park and also, a project based on Susan Kelly’s book on the Boston Stranglers, which refutes the notion that there was one strangler. Then there’s Gigi Grazer’s first novel, Rescue Me.

I’m not sure which one of those is going to shake out, but that’s what I’m working on."

--It'll be interesting to see if he gets financing for this project. I hope he does. He's a terrific director.

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
P.S.
Of course I hope that it wasn't Mr. Franklin's own error of placing Taharka in the era of 1701 B.C. Taharka was on the planet like from 710 to 668 b.c., round abouts...

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:

I made two small, but not insignificant typos in the above:
1) Narmer was from Nekhen and thusly, a Nekhenite
2) The Egyptian word for the unification of Egypt is "Khes", no "t"
Sorry...

Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:
I made two small, but not insignificant typos in the above:
1) Narmer was from Nekhen and thusly, a Nekhenite
2) The Egyptian word for the unification of Egypt is "Khes", no "t"
Sorry...

In case you didn't know, you can edit a post that you made. It's the little icon next to reply with a quote.

Marcus
Member # 3035

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will Smith should stick to comedy. Adrian Lester would be a better choice IMO.

[This message has been edited by Marcus (edited 27 February 2004).]

Posts: 87 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Ayazid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really good ... this is ONLY AFRICAN-AMERICAN discussion??? Where are Egyptians??Or Europeans, other Arabs etc.?????
Posts: 653 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcus
Member # 3035

Rate Member
I'm not African American - and neither is Adrian Lester. I didn't mean to offend anyone, just thought it would be appropriate for a dark skinned actor to play the part of Taharka (as well as someone who can actually act).
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ayazid:
Really good ... this is ONLY AFRICAN-AMERICAN discussion??? Where are Egyptians??Or Europeans, other Arabs etc.?????

I agree with Marcus that this is not an African American discussion. But if you would like to see a movie with Arabs and Europeans portraying AE's, you've got plenty of options. The recent Mummy movies come to mind. Ideally, if I were making a movie I think modern rural Egyptians would be among the good choices. However I don't know of a single Egyptian actor.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leonardo Di Caprio would be a big hit as an Egyptian Pharoah, wouldn't you say. He would be a big draw....J-lo would make a great Armarna queen or princess. I can even see Madonna in as a Queen if she woiuld dye her hair.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
I agree with Marcus that this is not an African American discussion. But if you would like to see a movie with Arabs and Europeans portraying AE's, you've got plenty of options. The recent Mummy movies come to mind. Ideally, if I were making a movie I think modern rural Egyptians would be among the good choices. However I don't know of a single Egyptian actor.

The accusation of this being "an African American discussion" was a pointless distraction. The discussion had, I thought, segued into a discussion of a possible American film project by the African American film director Carl Franklin on the life of Taharka, the last Pharaoh, of the so-called Kushite dynasty, and who should portray him. Moving along...

A great suggestion that I think you made was in that they should include rural Egyptians in the film. I think that not only should they be included as extras in the film but one or two rural Egyptians should be 'discovered', in true Hollywood fashion. In fact, I think it would probably be a good choice to shoot location scenes of this movie in Egypt itself, specifically in Upper Egypt.

In fact, I personally intend on suggesting this to Mr. Franklin. I'm sure he's open to suggestions.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
''Leonardo Di Caprio would be a big hit as an Egyptian Pharoah, wouldn't you say. He would be a big draw....J-lo would make a great Armarna queen or princess. I can even see Madonna in as a Queen if she woiuld dye her hair.''

You got to be out of your mind. The only person who look remotley Egyptian would be Jennifer Lopez. Maddona? Ahahahaha

By the way,a new producion about Hathsepsut is on the way and guess who might be playing her? Halle Berry.

neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think it would probably be a good choice to shoot location scenes of this movie in Egypt itself, specifically in Upper Egypt.

It's very difficult to get permission to shoot on location in Egypt. Even 'educational' documentaries are rarely shot on location. Morocco is often used as a stand-in for Egypt.

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:

The accusation of this being "an African American discussion" was a pointless distraction.

Agreed. In fact I went back and forth like 10 tens before I finally decided to respond.

quote:

By the way,a new producion about Hathsepsut is on the way and guess who might be playing her? Halle Berry.

Halle Berry as Hatshepsut? Did I wake up in an alternate universe or something? Do you have anymore info on this.

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:
It's very difficult to get permission to shoot on location in Egypt. Even 'educational' documentaries are rarely shot on location. Morocco is often used as a stand-in for Egypt.

Spike Lee shot scenes from Malcolm X in Egypt. He was also allowed to film in Mecca! But I think you miss the point. It would be nice that finally the unquestioned descendants of the Ancient Egyptians, the rural Egyptians, get to play their ancestors. It seems that everybody else has but them.

And Ausar, I've been trying to find more about the Halle Berry-Hatshepsut move also. What gives???

Marcus
Member # 3035

Rate Member
Horemheb, your sarcasm is not warranted. AEs were often depicted as white people with actors of European descent.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com