EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Dr. Alsadaawi...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr. Alsadaawi...
Neb-Ma'at-Re
Member # 2050

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neb-Ma'at-Re     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the other thread was getting quite long so I wanted to start a new one about something you wrote. It was in regard to the stele of Merenptah and the term 'Israel' and your claim of the 'true' AE word for Israel.

You wrote:
"The True word for 'Israel' is [Q2:D4] and it was reported hundreds of times and even in the Pyramid Texts but they NEVER saw it!"

I have been doing some research on this and have some things that I want to show you.

First, In Budge's AE dictionary he shows [Q2] as [sect.XVI #4,5,6,7] and gives a phonetic value of 'us'[G43:S29]. He shows [D4] as [sect.IV #8] and gives a phonetic value of 'år'. In putting the two together (usår) I immediately thought of Åsar (Osirus). In searching through the names for the many forms of Åsar I found something quite interesting. An entry on pg 87a reads 'Asar Nesu-båt' and shows two sets of glyphs. The second of the two is [M23:X1-L2:X1-V10:Q2-D4].As you know this says' The king of the South and the North, Åsar. There is also another entry on the p87a which Budge gives the name of another form of Åsar (Åsar-Khas).

As you mentioned [Q2:D4] appears hundreds of times and even in the pyramid texts. So I figured they might also appear in 'The Book of the Dead' as transcribed and translated by Budge from the 'Papyrus of Ani'.

[Q2:D4] appears dozens of times throughout the chapters of this book, in which Budge gives the menaing of these signs as 'Osirus'(Åsar). Some appearing directly in front of Ani's name and title(As you know it is believed that the deceased was refered to as 'Osirus', or 'the Osirus' linking him to the God Osirus). However, There are a number of times that [Q2:D4] appears in reference to the god Osirus (Åsar).

I was wondering if you have a copy of this text? If so I would like to give you a number of examples and hope that you can judge them. From what I have found I don't see how [Q2:D4] can refer to 'Israel', but perhaps you have already done this and this is how you came to your conclusion of the meaning of these signs. Please let me know.

Thank you

------------------
Nesu.t-bi.t neb-taui Neb-Maa't-Re sa-Re Amen-hotep

[This message has been edited by Neb-Ma'at-Re (edited 11 January 2004).]

Posts: 152 | From: Troy,NY,US | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neb-Ma'at-Re
Member # 2050

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neb-Ma'at-Re     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Alsadaawi,

Welcome back. It is good to here that everything is ok.

I'm sure you have much catching up to do, but if you get a chance can please respond to the previous post.

Thank you,
Neb

------------------
Nesu.t-bi.t neb-taui Neb-Maa't-Re sa-Re Amen-hotep

Posts: 152 | From: Troy,NY,US | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back Dr. Alsadaawi. We've missed you. Get well soon.
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alsaadawi-4
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alsaadawi-4   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Neb, thank you for your kind words. Yes I have a copy of the 'Papyrus of Ani'. The Egyptian word of 'israeL' could be written in a variety of methods depending on the phonetic values of the included glyphs. Wonderfully all the phonemes of this word are 'motorizing' exactly like the Egyptian word for 'magic' which is 'alsiHr'. The short form of the motorizing letters according to my theory are (a-L-s-H-r) with all their sub-tones. For example the _a_ includes (a-e-i-u) and the _s_ includes (s-S).

The phonetic values of Ancient Egyptian glyphs came from the corresponding slang Egyptian words that describe those glyphs. In our case here [Q2] depicts a sleeping 'bed' which has the Egyptian slang word 'serir'. From here AE's offered it the phonetic value 'sr'. Every bilateral Egyptian value has also a specified meaning in the Egyptian language that may no relation to the formal Arabic which is also Ancient Egyptian. In this case the Egyptian value 'sr' means 'secret' in English and it is also a formal Arabic.

The phonetic value of the simple human eye [D4] is '2r' or 'ar'. The English number (2) here is a modern Egyptian convention to mean the guttural (a) or the Egyptian 'hamza' because it has no equivalent in English alphabets and it looks like the Egyptian vulture [G1] which indicates the guttural (a).

One very important rule taken from my theory is:

**nearly all bilateral Ancient Egyptian glyphs could be read in mirror form**

It means that 'sr' could be read also as 'rs'. Another example is the falcon sign [G5] or 'Horus' which reads as 'Hr' or 'rH', and so on.

The famous AE seat [Q1] was called the 'praying' seat because it was used by the Egyptian divine characters and the elder people to establish divine prayers. Therefore, they offered it the phonetic value 'SL' which means 'pray'.

The phonetic value of the famous AE flag sign [R8] is '2L' which is the guttural (a) and the (L) phonemes or simply (aL / La), taking into consideration that the guttural (a) could be read sometimes as (i) or (e) as in the English word (ill).or (eye), etc.

Using the phonetic values of these 4 important glyphs [D4, Q1, Q2, R8] we can combine them together in different ways to obtain many Egyptian words of different meanings.

Alsaadawi 4

Posts: 84 | From: Egypt - Alexandria | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alsaadawi-4
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alsaadawi-4   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Kem-Au, thank you so much. I highly appreciate your kind words. I'm also grateful to my friend Ausar
Posts: 84 | From: Egypt - Alexandria | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ozzy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back Dr Alsaadawi,

Could someone explain to me the variences on this norm below, and were this changes and how. I have read that sometimes when refering to people or gods the word can be read backwards but what are the indications of this or is their no constants to give an indication.

Also when the glyphs are related to the person or gods are they usualy infront of the figure or behind, Does the way the glyphs face (Re I have seen glyphs in mirror images) change the direction to the subject it is refering to?.

RE: If the determinative hieroglyphics face to the right, is the word going to relate to the releif on the right, or the relief on the left. The reliefs I have noticed always face the same way as the hieroglyphics.

"Normally, hieroglyphics were written from right to left (with the birds, mammals, and people facing to the right). Hieratic (script hieroglyphics) was always written from right to left"

Sorry for all the questions but i am trying to teach myself, but I have to admit it is rather confusing to me.

Thanks in advance

Ozzy

[This message has been edited by Ozzy (edited 22 February 2004).]

Posts: 448 | From: Australian living in Spain | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ozzy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me if i can post pics from my own files. Or do they all have to be web links.?

Tks

Ozzy

Posts: 448 | From: Australian living in Spain | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends if pictures are jpgs or gif. I have tried to post jpg pictures but this forum will not allow it.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
I can change them to any format that is accepted, just need to know how to do it, If it can be done and what format is accepted. TKS ausar.

Ozzy

Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzy:
I can change them to any format that is accepted, just need to know how to do it, If it can be done and what format is accepted. TKS ausar.

Ozzy

The easiest way is probably to get some free web space with a site like geocities, and upload the images there, then link to them. Otherwise to change from jpg to gif, you'd need a program like Adobe's Photoshop and thus you'd be required to learn to use it if you don't already know.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
Thanks Kem, changing them to giffs is no problem I am well experienced with photo software. I just need to know how to post my pics. I get the odd pic which may be interesting to all but not a web page to link to.

Ozzy

Alsaadawi-4
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Hi Ozzy, thanks for your kind welcome. Yes, more than 90% of the AE Hieroglyphs are written from right to left as in the case of Pyramid Texts, Rosetta Stone, Palermo Stone, Book of the Dead, Coffin Texts, Stella Texts, Shrine Texts, etc.

However, the AE language is unique because one can read it also from left to write. I think that it is not necessarily that the written Hieroglyphs should refer to the near-by or associated photo, depiction or relief. This is just a general remark but I think it deserves more study.

Thank you

Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also read somewhere that hieroglyphs were written--especially in tombs--with an eye for the balance. In other words, a text half may be written to the left of a figure carved in a tomb, and finished on the right to artistically balance the reader's conception of the scene. It is not unusual to have a text written right to left, left to right or up and down.
Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com