EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » CARING FOR THE DEAD - A curator of animal mummies finds a doorway into ancient Egypti

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CARING FOR THE DEAD - A curator of animal mummies finds a doorway into ancient Egypti
Neb-Ma'at-Re
Member # 2050

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neb-Ma'at-Re     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CARING FOR THE DEAD
A curator of animal mummies finds a doorway into ancient Egyptian life.
http://www.archaeology.org/magazine.php?page=0403/abstracts/ikram

------------------
Nesu.t-bi.t neb-taui Neb-Maa't-Re sa-Re Amen-hotep

Posts: 152 | From: Troy,NY,US | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for that link Neb-Ma'at-Re!
I was in Cairo last May when the animal mummies room was originally supposed to be opened, but it wasn't ready yet. I had the good fortune and priviledge to have Salima herself show me the work in progress and it looked like a wonderful project. From what I've heard, it still may expand, and although it is open it was not yet officially "opened".
Salima Ikram is an amazing person, an extremely dedicated professional, as well as a sincere, down to earth human being.
She's the best!

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neb-Ma'at-Re
Member # 2050

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neb-Ma'at-Re     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to ask you Artemi because I noticed it Monday night when she was on the special "Tomb Raiders: Robbing the Dead" on the history channel, is she American? I noticed her 'English' accent coming and going throughout the program?

I know, silly question but I was just wondering.

Posts: 152 | From: Troy,NY,US | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She is a Pakistani Egyptologist from Lahore,Pakistan. Her speciality is mainly animal mummies,and she has written books on butchery in ancient Egypt.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neb-Ma'at-Re
Member # 2050

Rate Member
where did she study? Not that it has anything to do with her credentials but It just sounds like that english accent is a fake, the way she drops back and forth between an English and 'American English' accent. Kinda like Madonna does...lol.

------------------

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is her credentials. On the webpage it states that she studied in both America,Britian,and at the American Unversity of Cairo in Egypt.

http://www.aucegypt.edu/academic/northkhargaoasissurvey/pages/director_si.html

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neb-Ma'at-Re
Member # 2050

Rate Member
Hey thanks for the link Ausar. I was looking for this list about a week ago and was unable to find it. Wow and what a list it is! Who would have known you can get a Ph.D. in 'Choice Cuts: Meat Production in Ancient Egypt'. Intersting.

I'm thinking she is a Pakistani/American since she attended Bryn Mawr College in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania first. I still wonder about that English accent.

Anyways, that neither here nor there, her credentials speak for themselves. I think she's kinda cute too

------------------

Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Neb-Ma'at-Re, She's already married (to an Englishman who also lives and works in Cairo). I can also say there doesn't seem to be anything at all phoney about her character - but she might find it entertaining to have been compared to Madonna!
Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neb-Ma'at-Re
Member # 2050

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Neb-Ma'at-Re     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Artemi,

Now I am quite embarrassed! I definatley was not questioning her character or her credentials, and the reference to Madonna...ok it was a bad comparison but I was only comparing the way Salima's accent seemed to shift between English to 'American-English' in her latest appearance on The History Channel to how Madonna tends to put on that 'English-like' accent. But now that I have learned she has attended Cambridge and is married to an Englishman, I can see how she would pick up such an accent. So if your gonna tell her I compared her to Madonna at least tell her it was only in regards to their accents and not their character.

Oh and just because she is married (so am I) doesn't mean that I don't think she is an attractive woman!Jeez....lol.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Neb-Ma'at-Re (edited 20 February 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Neb-Ma'at-Re (edited 20 February 2004).]

Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be embarrassed Neb-Ma'at-Re,
I didn't tell her. She has a good sense of humor anyway, and I doubt she would have taken offense.
Actually, I did just receive an email from her saying she won't be lecturing in my area of the US this year after all.

BTW, she is lovely in person too, so your aesthetic instincts are good.

Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey wait a sec. I've been saying Salima was good looking for a long time now. I just never posted it. (btw, I'm married too, but that's besides the point.) So Artemi, if you're going to put in a good word for someone, put in a word for me

Not to take anything away from her achievements btw. She's done some great work on mummies, she just happens to be good looking to boot.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neb-Ma'at-Re
Member # 2050

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Kem-Au:
Hey wait a sec. I've been saying Salima was good looking for a long time now. I just never posted it. (btw, I'm married too, but that's besides the point.) So Artemi, if you're going to put in a good word for someone, put in a word for me

Not to take anything away from her achievements btw. She's done some great work on mummies, she just happens to be good looking to boot.

Sorry Kem, I said it first here. Maybe someone here knows Joann Fletcher and can put in a good word for you with her.....lol

------------------

[This message has been edited by Neb-Ma'at-Re (edited 21 February 2004).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com