EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Venus Figures

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Venus Figures
Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ozzy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone aware of any so called Venus figures such as those found in Europe and Asia being found in Egypt, or Nubia.

The reason for my question is this. The Venus figures of Europe in particular have been atributed to a stylistic art, representing the exagerated body of the female form.

I for one have had a problem with the way ancient art has been interpreted, as i believe the basic insparation for art has and still is to represent the world around us in a realistic way.

It is not well known but there is a gene that creates what is known as Steatopygia ("fat bottom") which is only found in African pigmi groups giving the same physical appearance as the Venus figures.

It seems to me that the Venus figures 25, 000 or more years old correspond to Migration data out of Africa. Many of these Images disapear as the dates decrease, indicating a different people migrating from Africa, and I would say the Nile up to 10,000 years ago.

I would just like to confirm that there are not simular images in Pre-historiic Egyptian or Nubian art.

Ozzy

Posts: 448 | From: Australian living in Spain | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Venus figures have been found from India to parts of the Meditterean sea. .
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The oldest iconographic art I have seen in Egypt dates to the Badarian age during the pre-dyanstic. I have seen a couple of figures in early Egyptian pre-dyanstic art that might be considered Madonna figures. Don't know about Venus figures.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sneuropa
Member # 3190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sneuropa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its probable that Venus And Madonna figures are basically the same idea- after all the different names are just modern labels attached to them.

I've seen some in a book from Syria (Mesopotamia?)before; they were also obese figures but some of them suckling children or even animals (lizard?! it had a long tail). But ancient Sumerian type figurines of humans often looked rather like lizards; though without the tails!

Also I heard that some found in Europe were smashed- and that it would seem that they were smashed purposefully in a ritual.

Obese women in the ancient world? I've seen the comical looking fat Queen of Punt. So fatties did exist in ancient times too!

Thanks,
sneuropa

What do they mean?

Posts: 28 | From: U.K. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keino
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sneuropa:
Its probable that Venus And Madonna figures are basically the same idea- after all the different names are just modern labels attached to them.

I've seen some in a book from Syria (Mesopotamia?)before; they were also obese figures but some of them suckling children or even animals (lizard?! it had a long tail). But ancient Sumerian type figurines of humans often looked rather like lizards; though without the tails!

Also I heard that some found in Europe were smashed- and that it would seem that they were smashed purposefully in a ritual.

Obese women in the ancient world? I've seen the comical looking fat Queen of Punt. So fatties did exist in ancient times too!

Thanks,
sneuropa

What do they mean?

Interesting

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ozzy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Venus figures have been found from India to parts of the Meditterean sea.

I was aware they have been found in india, and may be the result of the first migrations there, much like the Andamen Island people, who I believe still carry the Steatopygia gene. But I have not seen anything around the Mediterrean. Most representations come from Europe.

Posts: 448 | From: Australian living in Spain | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Some Venus figures exist in Malta at the Neolithic Hypogeanum. Not quite sure about other places either. I believe the Grimaldi people were called Africoid people that inhabited modern Italy. I believe the Cro-magnoids wiped them out though.

Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
ausar, you have mentioned the Grimaldi people before. I have seen them mentoned very little: for Cro-magnoids to have wiped them out they would have to have been 25,000 to 17,000 years ago, do you have some links for me to read.
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/society/A0860205.html

The Upper Paleolithic Period
In the Upper Paleolithic period Neanderthal man disappears and is replaced by a variety of Homo sapiens such as Cro-Magnon man </ce6/society/A0814089.html> and Grimaldi man. This, the flowering of the Paleolithic period, saw an astonishing number of human cultures, such as the Aurignacian, Gravettian, Perigordian, Solutrean, and Magdalenian, rise and develop in the Old World. The beginnings of communal hunting and extensive fishing are found here, as is the first conclusive evidence of belief systems centering on magic and the supernatural. Pit houses, the first man-made shelters, were built, sewn clothing was worn, and sculpture and painting originated. Tools were of great variety, including flint and obsidian blades and projectile points. It is probable that the people of the Aurignacian culture migrated to Europe after developing their distinctive culture elsewhere, perhaps in Asia.

Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
bush men types? Is there a description of the finds there? I remember a Venus sculpture from Grimaldi but not remains.

Ozzy

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com