EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » http://www.eternalegypt.org

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: http://www.eternalegypt.org
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To all of you Egypt lovers, I give you this site:

http://www.eternalegypt.org

Monica
Egypt:I am intoxicated by your eternal beauty!

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 28 February 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you or anyone else seen this video?
http://www.magicalegypt.com/

They always advertise it on tv specials. It's the one talking about a mystical Egypt you won't learn about in schools?

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monica ...
Since I have been seeing much comments from you ... and you have already visited www.youregypt.com ... please tell me about your opinion

Raymon
youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Raymon, sorry I did not read this post earlier.

I did like your site and I can describe it as a NEAT and CLEAN cut. I appreciate the 'Quotes'. Anis Mansour reflects the typical well traveled intellectual Egyptian personality, with some double standards nuances, at times - Inas, the movie producer, is the free spirit of a controversial Egyptian woman that is rather unique - progressive, agressive rather, representing the modern Egyptian woman -scaring a few with her straight to the point sometimes scandalous, but real and down to earth issues - in Egypt today.

The pictures are absolutely great.

Your introduction in regards with the statistics about Muslim vs Christians/Coptic etc...is also a good point. 6% of 70 million is a lot of people per se, but still...I always wondered about those figures. An in depth research on that issue could be of interest, but I do not suggest you turn the site into a religiously oriented one.

You also asked for contributors, and I haven't replied to that post then, not wanting to commit yet, due to my very 'strange' schedule, to say the least.

But I certainly could consider, since it is related to Egypt.

What do you have in mind? Could you state your specs in terms of content, format, timelines, etc...
Let me know. I'd love to help, but as much as my 'strange' schedule permits it.

In terms of contribution, I see a column, I see an attractive title to the column, and I see stories about my beloved Egypt - mingling Ancient and Modern! Comparing etc....I also see somehow controversial issues within that column. I see exposing Egyptian issues of the day, with recommendations/solutions - issues that are of extreme concern to the population, but not really tackled by the press yet. We can be diplomatic, but respectfully agressive, and always within limits of the politically correct rules and regulations! What do you think? I also have an eloquent friend in mind, and I can see team work contributions. That writing partner, is located in Egypt and I think we could do superb contributions as a team, at times - Or maybe tackle the cross-cultural issues of the day...etc...etc...

Am I scaring you here? hope not!

But most importantly I'd like to discuss your strategic marketing techniques in regards to the site. What are your present methods?

I also need to know who is your present audience? and what type of audience are you targeting /age/intellect etc...etc...?

One more thing, it's important to let me know your long term objective in regards to this site. What are you trying to accomplish? are you trying to attract people to Egypt, simply inform them, or create/underline the awareness of its different angles, globally? etc...etc...

Thanks
Monica

quote:
Originally posted by Raymon:
Monica ...
Since I have been seeing much comments from you ... and you have already visited www.youregypt.com ... please tell me about your opinion

Raymon
youregypt.com

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 09 March 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monica said:''Your introduction in regards with the statistics about Muslim vs Christians/Coptic etc...is also a good point. 6% of 70 million is a lot of people per se, but still...I always wondered about those figures. An in depth research on that issue could be of interest, but I do not suggest you turn the site into a religiously oriented one.''

Ausar responds: You have to consider that many Coptics live in rural villages so many of them go unreported to the census.

Also I am curious were the main population density in modern Egypt is. Do you have the answer to this question,Monica?

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ausar,

Actually it seems to me, that the population in Egypt is focused along the Nile. It is their source of water, after all. How could farmers cultivate crops if living away from the Nile?

About the rural villages, absolutely right, called 'Al Sa3eed el gowany'. Most statistics don't ever cover those areas.

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Monica said:''Your introduction in regards with the statistics about Muslim vs Christians/Coptic etc...is also a good point. 6% of 70 million is a lot of people per se, but still...I always wondered about those figures. An in depth research on that issue could be of interest, but I do not suggest you turn the site into a religiously oriented one.''

Ausar responds: You have to consider that many Coptics live in rural villages so many of them go unreported to the census.

Also I am curious were the main population density in modern Egypt is. Do you have the answer to this question,Monica?

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you say the population is concentrated more around the Delta or Saeed?

Once again,thanks for your input,Monica.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The valley and the Delta of the Nile most populated.

BUT I would love to get hold of some information regarding the Sa3eed el gowany...remember, it is a rather 'secluded' area.

I know a few writers that tackle this issue. I'll check it out!

You are most welcomed!

How are you doing with your studies by the way?

quote:
Would you say the population is concentrated more around the Delta or Saeed?

Once again,thanks for your input,Monica.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Doing just fine thanks for asking about my studies. Right know I am trying to observe demographic change in Egypt that occured from pre-dyanstic times up untill the modern era. Most accounts of Egypt's population in antiquity centers around the numbers 3 million to 6 million with Luxor to Aswan in Upper Egypt being the main concentration in the south,and from modern day Medium to Delta being the largest in the North.

I am curious if said demographics have changed in location or just simply in size. Seem to me that the Northern cities like Cairo and Alexzandri have increased over the years due to foreign settlement.

However,since the 1950's many sa3eeadi and rural bohary Egyptians[Delta Egyptians] have settled in the city communites like Imbaba and Bulaq Abu Ala.

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I can get hold of some numbers regarding the foreign population, in both cities, then we can figure it out. I'll try that.

quote:
Doing just fine thanks for asking about my studies. Right know I am trying to observe demographic change in Egypt that occured from pre-dyanstic times up untill the modern era. Most accounts of Egypt's population in antiquity centers around the numbers 3 million to 6 million with Luxor to Aswan in Upper Egypt being the main concentration in the south,and from modern day Medium to Delta being the largest in the North.

I am curious if said demographics have changed in location or just simply in size. Seem to me that the Northern cities like Cairo and Alexzandri have increased over the years due to foreign settlement.

However,since the 1950's many sa3eeadi and rural bohary Egyptians[Delta Egyptians] have settled in the city communites like Imbaba and Bulaq Abu Ala.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Monica,do you often vist the Balady quarters like Bulaq? If so,did you know that many ancient Egyptian customs survive?

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matter of fact, I have a dear friend who takes me to bolaq el dakroor, everytime I go; and I visit a few families I got to know through other circumstances, and I can't tell you how moved and touched I am everytime ...they are the kindest Egyptians by the way, the most gada3a you know...meaning they are ged3an and the women: they are really something. The women stand by their men by their children, by their neighbours like in no other place in the world...they are really strong and have a great sense of humour.....unbelievable.
When you say the ancient Egyptian customs do you mean their wedding traditions and/ or the traditions of a new born child celebration? family patterns? religious rites? tell me more.

quote:
Monica,do you often vist the Balady quarters like Bulaq? If so,did you know that many ancient Egyptian customs survive?

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 09 March 2004).]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
You might often see balady people gather around the grave site of their ancestors every Friday. Often times there are rooms built beside the graves to accomadate familes feasting in this area. You will discover this and more are ancient Egyptian customs that still survive. Much of the traditions are still intact under the Islamic veneer.

see the following examples:

quote:
......Other modern ceremonies reflect ancient
funerary customs . Forty days after death and burial the family of
the deceased will take food to the grave,and this is then distributed
among the poor who have gathered . This occasion,known as el-
Arbeiyin,retains elements of the ancient service preformed at the
time of burial when relatives gathered at the tomb and at the
conclusion of the burial rites shared funerary meal. The forty days
that still elapse between death and el-Arbeiyin probally reflect the
period that was set aside for mummification procedures in ancient
Egypt. Another early tradition is probally preserved in the modern
annual family visit to the grave when special food is brought which
is then given to the poor.
page 129

Rosalie David Handbook of Life in Ancinet Egypt.....

quote:
Egyptians spend more time at cemetaries than most Middle
Easteners. Some baladi women sleep at the cemetary to pray dawn
prayer at the family gave
Page 113

Baladi Women of Cairo

Evelyn E Early

quote:
One day at a village shrine,her daughter-in-law's mother inquired
about a fertility amulet for her daughter

page 46

Baladi Women of Cairo

Evenlyn A early

The birth ceremony also is ancient Egyptian origin called Sobou.

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ausar, wonderful references. Thanks a million.

I'm very familiar with The Sebou - wich is the celebration of the first 7 days of the child - . The rituals for the funerals are also something I've participated to - el arbe3een - the 40 days - Giving the food to the poor in memory of the dead loved ones, is also beautiful. I remember thinking, it's almost as if we're going to a picnic - but no we were going to the 'arafa' to visit-. Yes, all these ancient traditions, still observed today in modern Egypt, are mind blowing.

quote:
You might often see balady people gather around the grave site of their ancestors every Friday. Often times there are rooms built beside the graves to accomadate familes feasting in this area. You will discover this and more are ancient Egyptian customs that still survive. Much of the traditions are still intact under the Islamic veneer.

see the following examples:
[QUOTE]......Other modern ceremonies reflect ancient
funerary customs . Forty days after death and burial the family of
the deceased will take food to the grave,and this is then distributed
among the poor who have gathered . This occasion,known as el-
Arbeiyin,retains elements of the ancient service preformed at the
time of burial when relatives gathered at the tomb and at the
conclusion of the burial rites shared funerary meal. The forty days
that still elapse between death and el-Arbeiyin probally reflect the
period that was set aside for mummification procedures in ancient
Egypt. Another early tradition is probally preserved in the modern
annual family visit to the grave when special food is brought which
is then given to the poor.
page 129

Rosalie David Handbook of Life in Ancinet Egypt.....

quote:
Egyptians spend more time at cemetaries than most Middle
Easteners. Some baladi women sleep at the cemetary to pray dawn
prayer at the family gave
Page 113

Baladi Women of Cairo

Evelyn E Early

quote:
One day at a village shrine,her daughter-in-law's mother inquired
about a fertility amulet for her daughter

page 46

Baladi Women of Cairo

Evenlyn A early

The birth ceremony also is ancient Egyptian origin called Sobou.

[/QUOTE]

Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monica ...

I am so so sorry. I had a terrible problem w/ my computer ...

Please send my at raymon(a)youregypt.com. I will sent you back as soon as I receive your email.

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Raymon, no problem I'll write you this evening...
Thanks
Monica
quote:
Originally posted by Raymon:
Monica ...

I am so so sorry. I had a terrible problem w/ my computer ...

Please send my at raymon(a)youregypt.com. I will sent you back as soon as I receive your email.

[b]Raymon www.youregypt.com [/B]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com