EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Luxor receives Ahmose, Ramses mummies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Luxor receives Ahmose, Ramses mummies
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

March 9 , 2004
Luxor receives Ahmose, Ramses mummies Tuesday
The south Egyptian city of Luxor will Tuesday receive the mummies of King Ahmose, who defeated the Hyksos, and King Ramses I.
The mummies will arrive from Cairo with Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA), Dr. Zahi Hawas to put them on display inside the Luxor Museum annex, which is being prepared to be the first museum to tell the military history and glory of Thebes, the ancient name of Luxor.
The museum is scheduled to be inaugurated in a world gala next month. Hawas said the annex stands over an area of 500 meters and hosts 140 pieces of antiquities revolving around the golden era of the Egyptian military, particularly during the 18th Pharaonic Dynasty.
Hawas said the museum also houses pieces on display for the first time, including the statues of King Thutmose III and Ramses III, the last of the great warrior kings, in addition to a statue of a person named Yasser, who was chief archer and commander of Egypt's eastern gate in Sinai.
Mahmoud Mabrouk, Head of the Museums Sector, said work in the annex took nine months after a 12-year hiatus at a cost of L.E. 17 million and was provided with systems of museum show modern lights and electronic security devices http://www.uk.sis.gov.eg/online/html11/o090324m.htm

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The mummy identified as Rameses I has quite a history! It has spent over 100 years on display, first in Canada and then in the United States. In all the years outside of Egypt, he was never identified as RI, just an "unknown mummy, probably from the 19th Dynasy". Authorities at the museum in the South became more aware of him, and thought he might prove to be a royal mummy--based mainly on the position of his arms. He was identified as RI, but identification is not 100% positive. Hawass and his expert panel agreed that it was more than possible he was RI, and identified him as such. The museum that housed him just recently returned him to Egypt.
Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Al-Ahram article

Actually I saw The Walter C.Carlos Museum's "new" Egyptian collection about 2 years ago when Rameses mummy was not yet identified as such. Also, I was at the Niagara Falls museum many years back as a kid and saw their mummy collection (stacked in glass cases alongside a diverse collection of "curiosities").

~Look forward to see Ramses' mummy in place of honor in Luxor in the future.

[This message has been edited by Artemi (edited 14 March 2004).]

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump++
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
neo,

What's with all the bumps? What does that mean?

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keino
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

March 9 , 2004
Luxor receives Ahmose, Ramses mummies Tuesday
The south Egyptian city of Luxor will Tuesday receive the mummies of King Ahmose, who defeated the Hyksos, and King Ramses I.
The mummies will arrive from Cairo with Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA), Dr. Zahi Hawas to put them on display inside the Luxor Museum annex, which is being prepared to be the first museum to tell the military history and glory of Thebes, the ancient name of Luxor.
The museum is scheduled to be inaugurated in a world gala next month. Hawas said the annex stands over an area of 500 meters and hosts 140 pieces of antiquities revolving around the golden era of the Egyptian military, particularly during the 18th Pharaonic Dynasty.
Hawas said the museum also houses pieces on display for the first time, including the statues of King Thutmose III and Ramses III, the last of the great warrior kings, in addition to a statue of a person named Yasser, who was chief archer and commander of Egypt's eastern gate in Sinai.
Mahmoud Mabrouk, Head of the Museums Sector, said work in the annex took nine months after a 12-year hiatus at a cost of L.E. 17 million and was provided with systems of museum show modern lights and electronic security devices http://www.uk.sis.gov.eg/online/html11/o090324m.htm

Do you think all of the Egyptian artifacts, mummies ect should be in Egypt and Egypt alone? Do you think it would be better preserved and taken care of in its native country? I think keeping them there might acutally increase the tourism of the country adding a boost to they economy. However, I would miss having viewing access to these artifacts.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com