EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The origin of the word "Pyramid"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The origin of the word "Pyramid"
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the usual and usually confused take on the origin of the word "Pyramid"(kinda like telling parents how much they resemble their children!) :

"The word 'pyramid' actually comes from the Greek word 'pyramis' which means 'wheat cake'. The word 'pyramis' was used to describe the ancient Egyptian buildings because they reminded the Greeks of pointy-topped wheat cakes. The ancient Egyptian word for the pyramids was 'Mer'. "
Keeping in mind the fact that the pyramids were constructed several millennia before Greece was even "a thought in the mind of God.", the Ancient Egyptians also had several words for Pyramid - revealing a complex ideology:

Obmer - tomb
Oh Oh - (I'm not making this up! It comes from the Egyptian verb "Ohpe-to journey" and guess what the Ancient Egyptian word for "flatulence" is, yep, "Gas")
Wokha tebe - the base of the tomb

Now here's where it gets real interesting:

Pyr - Coptic Egyptian word for division + met (equals ten OR regeneration)

Ben ben = obelisk (an obvious phallic symbol) or pyramid
Ben ben = to well up, overflow (also found in Wolof), copulate

Nu.t mer = a pyramid city or a town built up around pyramids
Per = house (In Wolof it means the enclosure that surrounds the house, which in its sense more accurately reflects the hieroglyphic - pr)
Per nheh = house of eternity
Per met = house of regeneration
Mer = tomb
Per mer = the enclosure or base of the pyramid
It appears that the tomb was essentially a source of regeneration...
What say you?

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 11 March 2004).]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What say you?

I'd say that was very interesting.
Thanks Wally!

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wally,

That is very interesting, and one of the best arguments I've heard for it being a tomb. Well actually, about the only other argument that I've heard for it being a tomb is that it couldn't have been anything else.

That said, I'm still skeptical about it being a tomb, though I'm totally open to the possibility. The question is the word "Mer" meaning tomb. Budge could've just assumed that the pyramid was a tomb and thus equated "MR" with tomb. Does this word exist in the language spoken by modern day Sa3eedis or Nubians? What about Wolof or Yoruba? If so, what does it mean?

The obelisk part is interesting, especially since they are usually topped with a pyramid. The other insteresting thing is that the shape of the pyramid may have sexual symbolism. I need to do more research.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kem-Au:
Wally,

That is very interesting, and one of the best arguments I've heard for it being a tomb. Well actually, about the only other argument that I've heard for it being a tomb is that it couldn't have been anything else.

That said, I'm still skeptical about it being a tomb, though I'm totally open to the possibility. The question is the word "Mer" meaning tomb. Budge could've just assumed that the pyramid was a tomb and thus equated "MR" with tomb. Does this word exist in the language spoken by modern day Sa3eedis or Nubians? What about Wolof or Yoruba? If so, what does it mean?

The obelisk part is interesting, especially since they are usually topped with a pyramid. The other insteresting thing is that the shape of the pyramid may have sexual symbolism. I need to do more research.

Here's some more words to ponder:

Coptic Egyptian;

Mxaau - tomb in a cave or cavern
Mxaou - "
Ofu - Tomb ( I told you I wasn't kidding that "Oh! Oh!" is an Egyptian expression for tomb. The hieroglyph is two parallel forearms with open palm - O O)
Owi - the genitals
Be - grave

Wolof;

In Wolof we have a match also, keeping in mind that the 'p' in Egyptian becomes a 'b' in wolof, the 'r' becomes an 'l.'
Bammeel = Tomb, which in Egyptian would be Pa Meer. This should give us an approximation of the pronunciation of the Egyptian word 'Mr.'
-- The following not as accurate as Wolof:

Serer (Senegal);
M'banar = Tomb

Amharic (Ethiopia);
Maqaber = Tomb

Arabic;
Ma'bara = Tomb

The Ancient Egyptian obelisk is an obvious phallic symbol representing an erect penis. (Yes, that's what the Washington monument is.) There seems to be a symbiotic relationship between generation - death - regeneration. I think I'll try and locate and re-read J. Olumide Lucas' book on the Yoruba to see if it sheds any new light on this concept. It would also be good to know the words for tomb in the language of the Egyptian Fellahin. Does anyone know the answer to that question?

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:

A More Complete Ancient Egyptian Ontology Glossary

Obmer = tomb
O-O = tomb
O-O = posterity, heir
Wokha tebe = the base of the tomb
Ben ben = obelisk or pyramid
Ben ben = to well up, overflow (also found in Wolof), copulate

(Mr)
Nu.t mer = a pyramid city or a town built up around pyramids
Mer.t -- beyond, on the other side (EWB 308a)
Mer -- to die, dead, death (314b)
Mer = tomb
Merti = dead
Per nheh = house of eternity
Per mer = the enclosure or base of the pyramid
Per Mer ="House of death"
Pa Merti = "The dead"

(Mt)
Met; Mut = death
Metu = man as begetter
Metut = posterity
Per met = house of regeneration/death/posterity

Comparison with other current languages:

Yoruba & Egyptian;
Oku = (Y) dead
Oku = (E) to rise up high, ascend
Iku = (Y) death
Ikhu = (E) spirit (Coptic - Ikh)
Ba = An aspect of the soul
BaBa = (Y/E) father

Coptic Egyptian;
Mxaau - tomb in a cave or cavern
Mxaou - "
Ofu - Tomb
Owi - the genitals
Be - grave

Wolof;
Bammeel = Tomb (is Pa Mer in Egyptian = 'The tomb')

Serer (Senegal);
M'banar = Tomb

Amharic (Ethiopia);
Maqaber = Tomb

Arabic;
Ma'bara = Tomb

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com