EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Egyptian Martial Arts/Beni Hassan tombs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Martial Arts/Beni Hassan tombs
Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar,

Would you have any information or websites
that discusses ancient Egyptian martial arts?

Posts: 74 | From: atlanta,ga | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no websites on this particular subject,but I can tell you that martial arts are not only depicted on the tombs of Beni Hassan. Other tombs around Waset[Thebes] also shows stick fighting that is still praticed by the rural Upper Egyptians called tahtib in Arabic.

The Beni Hassan tomb is interesting due to the fact it functions like a flip book that showcases various throws and moves. We also have scenes in Rameses III window of apperance around Djeme[Mediu Habu] showing wrestling moves that appear very similar to the Nuba people in the modern Nuba mountains in the Sudan.

The Tahtib[stick fighting] was seen both as a reactment of the battles between Heru and Set and also as a millitary training device.

Here is some information from Frank Joseph Yurco:

What is being referred to here are the back wall scenes painted in the
tombs of the nomarchs of the 16th Upper Egyptian nome, in the place now
called Beni Hassan. On those walls a continuous scene of wrestling between
two men is depicted, in a series of scens that interestingly when cut up
and placed scene by scene on cards, if flipped through shows the actual
sequence of the wrestling moves. The ancient Egyptians had a tradition of
such wrestling and it was again shown in Ramesses III's funerary temple in
a scene right below the window of appearance in the First Court of that
temple.

Most sincerely,

Frank J.Yurco
University of Chicago

--
Frank Joseph Yurco fjyurco@midway.uchicago.edu

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amwa,are you going to respond to my post about martial arts> I thought you wanted to discuss this?
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure,thanks for the info..I found it enlightening..Also,I found some info about
the stick fighting online called "tahtib"
It actually showed a contest and a Upper
Egyptian master..Ausar how long have you lived in the USA?

Posts: 74 | From: atlanta,ga | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
I have a book that shows a Egyptian woman
performing back flips and the Egyptians also
had boxing..Do we know how much they could've
been influenced from Nubian culture?..I read
online that boxing was in Nubia and was brought to Egypt over 8,000 years ago.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Anwa,are you going to respond to this thread? Do you have anymore to contribute to ancient Egyptian martial arts?

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Anwa,are you going to respond to this thread? Do you have anymore to contribute to ancient Egyptian martial arts?

Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
I have responded.
Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
How do you post a picture here?
blackman
Member # 1807

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are two sites on the subject.
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/banihasan.htm
http://lexicorient.com/egypt/beni_hassan.htm

Posts: 342 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
I know many of these tombs are closed to the
public.Anyone knows why?...Also,they don't
allow you to take pictures at some..Why?
Does it affect the tombs?...Thanks blackman
for the links.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
People don't allow pictures because the flash wears the paint.

Amwa,I have been living in America since I was around 5 years old.

The first reproduction I have seen of boxing in ancient Egyptian tomb scene dates back to the reign of Amenhotep I in his tomb. Other tomb scenes might also show boxing,but I am not aware of it. I am sure that Nubians had a version of boxing also in their culture.

Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

The first reproduction I have seen of boxing in ancient Egyptian tomb scene dates back to the reign of Amenhotep I in his tomb. Other tomb scenes might also show boxing,but I am not aware of it. I am sure that Nubians had a version of boxing also in their culture.

Ausar, how often do you revisit Egypt? And what's the cheapest way to go?

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keino
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

I never knew that AEs boxed! How interesting! Did the style and system of boxing seem very similar to the present day sport? What other sport did they play?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keino:
I never knew that AEs boxed! How interesting! Did the style and system of boxing seem very similar to the present day sport? What other sport did they play?

There is an Egyptologist in the US who thinks the Egyptians played a game with a stick and ball similar to baseball.

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an Egyptologist in the US who thinks the Egyptians played a game with a stick and ball similar to baseball.

Peter Piccoine! He recently came to L.A. to give a talk on the subject--he's even has had baseball cards printed--as a joke--of Rameses the Great. He's serious about them playing the game, though, and his information was quite compelling.

Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Boxing they praticed was a little different from regulation boxing that we pratice in different leagues. Just like any activity it occured as a spirtual system that encompassed their everyday life. This was also the same fuction as Tahtib when enacted simulated the conflict between Set and Heru. Every year during the Opet festival or other envents this was renacted.

The other sporting activity was a game much like field hockey.

Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Ausar,

Do you have a link to the boxing scene in
Amenhotep's tomb?..I have only seen the
stick fighting and wrestling scenes.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
No,I don't have the link.

bustr
Member # 4403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bustr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll chime in. I've done a little digging on the subject. Take a look at the links below. Note the unusual "soft fist" being used by the boxers which is probably due to the lack of any kind of hand wrap.

http://www.aafla.org/OlympicInformationCenter/OlympicReview/1938/ORUE1/ORUE1c.pdf
http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/GeogHist/histories/Oldcivilization /Egyptology/Sports/ancsportsg1.htm

Here is another site. They seem to have an agenda so take it with a grain of salt.
http://www.uhuru.kent.edu/spring2003/blackfist.htm

[This message has been edited by bustr (edited 26 May 2004).]

Posts: 1 | From: Bridge City, Texas, United States | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com