EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Fakes and forgeries of the past

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fakes and forgeries of the past
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read in the recent conversation that made it seem that the scholarship of the early 19th-20th century was spotless without any stains of ignorance. I did some reserch on varies antiquities and found that many such people are actually full of holes and flaws. Not only has Egypt and Egyptians been victim to various frauds,but so has other cultures like the Minoans and even Greeks. Many forgeries exist or existed in many museums without going deteched untill much later by the antiquity handlers.

Here are some examples:

Fake?: The Art of Deception
by Mark Jones (Editor), P. T. Craddock

The statuette of Queen Tetisheri. A reconsideration
Author(s): Davies, W.V. Published: London, 1984 Davies shows that a small statue believed to represent 17th Dynasty queen Tetisheri and held at the British Museum in London, is a fake.

http://www.archaeology.org/0101/abstracts/goddess.html

Minoan snake godess found to be a complete fake.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good reference source is the work of Professor Manu Ampim. He covers the "Forged Ancient Egyptian Statues of Ra-Hotep and Nofret"..etc. http://www.raceandhistory.com/manu/update.htm
He also references "The Rape of Egypt"

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy that put post together has spent too much time on the crack pipe. What a bunch of complete garbage. The Africanist propaganda is bad enough but that is pure garbage.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And here's another recommended site http://www.ipl.org/div/kelsey/gallery.html

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
reThroughout the history of archaeology, and Egyptology in particular, forgeries have been accepted as real by many authorities, proving that the said authorities are only human, and make errors in judgement.
But I think Ampim's book goes far beyond showing us works of forgery, and instead tries to "prove" a not-so-subtle plot to wipe out any traces of Africanism, and to show that the ancient Egyptians were white. Unfortunately, this board had become a sounding-board for all the foaming-at-the-mouth individuals who want to show the rest of us--ignorant that we are--that what we believe about the ancient Egyptians is wrong--that it was a superior, black society. I really think that the answer is in between those ideas submitted by the members of this board--that the ancient Egyptians were a blend of different peoples--lighter as one gets closer to the coast, darker as one goes to the South. But really, what difference does it make? The ancient Egyptians were in a class by themselves. Whatever their racial idenity, it worked! They created a successful society, that exsisted for over 3000 years. Why don't we concentrait on that fact, and drop the racial issue?

[This message has been edited by Osiris II (edited 25 March 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Osiris II (edited 25 March 2004).]

Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does make a difference. It is one thing to accept an 'out on the edge theory' that is OK. It is quite qnother to engage in academic fraud. The site that Wally put up is exactly that. These people have no interest whatsoever about leaning what really went on in ancient Egypt. I think we have a group of victims who hate the west because it was the winner. The evil white man has caused all our problems. Instead of joing the modern world created by the euro-Americans we will dispise them. Its very much like some Latino nationalist living in the American southwest. They can't wait to get out of Mexico but when they get here they want to create the same sewer they left behind. This campaign will never work. It might influence a few 'hater' who tune in but the world of academics is too big. You can't fool the top people in the business with fraud. In the end all you will acomplish will be to marginalkize yourself as the world and the 'west' moves on. Its a sad situation to say the least.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horemheb,what does this have to do with Egyptology or even Egyptians?

I agree with Osiris,and I believe that the Egyptians ancient and modern were s diverse people composed of a mixture of Costal Northern African types in the North[although not without negriod admixture],and mostly negriod types in Upper Egypt. This is what I have proclaimed all along but neither sides of the extreme will listen to me. I do believe that despite Egyptians being hetrogenous people that majority of it's culture was Africa,and this is really what should matter.

While I don't go as far as many,I believe that the African elements in Egyptology has been marginalized due to the 19th century academic. Some even then like Budge,Pierre Montet,and also others admitted that Egypt was African in origin. More modern Egyptologist have admitted this like Frank Joseph Yurco and others. Bruce Trigger,archeologist and Egyptologist,had admitted that in the past Egyptologist have purposely ignored the African elements in Egyptian soceity because of agendas set up by the 19th century. I have even heard extreme claims from people like George Reisner who believe the elite in ancient Nubia were blonde haired;yet I never hear much talk about this,nor about the racism spwed by people like Sir. Grafton Smith.

The intentions of my post was not to start an endless racial debate that leads nowhere,but to point out that fakes did exist in the early days of Egyptology. Manu is definatley welcome to his views although I don't share them. I have debated Ampim on other Egyptology lists about some of his evidence,but I wouldn't call the man a crackpot as many have. People should weigh the evidence without bias or prejustice they might have about the subject. Through this process enlighted thinking emerges,and we being to grow intellectually.

It is infair to brand somebody or call them names without first listening to their side. If you disagree then present evidence on your behalf to refute them. Just callimng names is just ad hominem attacks that are groundless.

Here are some mainstream publications that deal with this issues we are discussing:

Bruce Trigger, ?Egyptology, Ancient Egypt, and the American Imagination? in The American Discovery of Ancient Egypt (1995), pp. 21-35

* Publisher: Indianapolis Museum of Art; (December 1996)

Egypt in Africa
by Theodore Celenko (Editor)

The American Discovery of Ancient Egypt
by Nancy Thomas, Bruce G. Trigger, Gerry D. Scott (Editor), Los Angeles County Museum Of Art

Anyway,let's get back on topic. Osiris,I am suprised you have yet to comment on the Saqqara link I posted.

See the following:

See the following link: http://www-oi.uchicago.edu/OI/ANE/ANE-DIGEST/V02/v02.n077
[scroll down to the thread by Peter Piccone]

Finally, let it be said that the ancient Egyptians were not white=20 Caucasians, nor were they Indo-Aryans. They were African, primarily a brown race, although fair= =20 skinned and leptorhine in the north, black skinned and platyrhine in the south, and= =20 various shades in the middle. They manifested all the physical differences you=20 would expect in so large a continent as Africa. Trigger (see below) uses the term=20 "Nilotic" to refer to their heterogenous character. When all is said and done, though,= =20 this whole question of Egyptian racial identity says more about us today than it does= =20 about the ancient Egyptians.
http://www.cofc.edu/~piccione/main.html
[You can't call Peter Piccone an Afrocentrist or a man with an agenda because he is a white Egyptologist whi graduated from the Chicago Oreintal Insitute] This is the same place where people like Breasted were established.

PETER A. PICCIONE, PH.D.
Egyptologist
Assistant Professor of Comparative Ancient History

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Osiris II:
[B]reThroughout the history of archaeology, and Egyptology in particular, forgeries have been accepted as real by many authorities, proving that the said authorities are only human, and make errors in judgement.
But I think Ampim's book goes far beyond showing us works of forgery, and instead tries to "prove" a not-so-subtle plot to wipe out any traces of Africanism, and to show that the ancient Egyptians were white. Unfortunately, this board had become a sounding-board for all the foaming-at-the-mouth individuals who want to show the rest of us--ignorant that we are--that what we believe about the ancient Egyptians is wrong--that it was a superior, black society. I really think that the answer is in between those ideas submitted by the members of this board--that the ancient Egyptians were a blend of different peoples--lighter as one gets closer to the coast, darker as one goes to the South. But really, what difference does it make? The ancient Egyptians were in a class by themselves. Whatever their racial idenity, it worked! They created a successful society, that exsisted for over 3000 years. Why don't we concentrait on that fact, and drop the racial issue?
/B]

Osiris, you are more than welcome to your views. I will agree that arguing the "race" of AE's is silly, though probably for different reasons than you. What we must understand, is that some people are not going to change their opinions no matter what. So there's no point in debating with them.

However some will listen and encourage debate. And in a debate, there is a such thing as a valid argument. An argument needs to be supported, and some have yet to figure this out. When some starts trying to prove their points by simply discreditting the opposition, it's time to move on.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Ausar...you are correct but this guy has people sneaking around in a conspiracy to fool the world. I'm sorry but we might as well be on a UFO site as to believe that nonsense. There is legitimate argument on the subject within a reasonable framwork but some of these people go into la la land. Even those of us who disagree are motivated by a love of history. I don't know what motivates that writer but it is not Ancient Egyptian history.
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We need to able to see thru silliness (there is much of it) and make progress. I do believe many race topics are senseless, but some posts having to do with the who the AE's really were, like the one ausar just posted, have significance.

This is puurely an opinion of mine, but I think it's time we abandon colonial leftovers that serve no purpose but to confuse. What does the word negroid tell us? Does it mean dark skin, a wide nose, kinky hair, etc? What if you have fair skin, a wide nose, kinky hair, etc? Can you still be a negro? How about dark skin, a thin nose, kinky hair, etc? This idea of negroid is a silly as the caucasiod and mongoloid.

We are taking these concepts and trying to apply them to AE's when the 3 racial types don't even work for us today. We end up taking skull measurements and the like to try to see if an individual was negro, or caucasian or whatever, though not that I have a problem with biological anthropology. But depending on the definition, this girl might not be considered negro. Notice her nose isn't that wide, her lips aren't that big:

(btw sorry about stealing your image Wally.)

Does anyone but me find this silly? Depending on who's telling the story many Africans are no longer negro, while negro and African are usually synonamous. I believe it was Ozzy who argued that Africans, like everyone else, are a very diverse group of people. He's right. And regardless of your opinion of Wally, his main argument seems to be that AE's knew exactly who they were and where they came from, and they told us. I too believe this to be true, and I'd like to see someone disprove this.

It's useless to try to squeeze AE's into a box. I've said many times that they were black, but I admit that notion is silly, although the AE's too called themselves black. All I'm saying is that in America they would most likely check African American on a census, live in a neighborhood with dark skinned people, etc. Saying you're black today just means you have demonstratable African ancestry and nothing about how you actually look. The same things holds true for a white person. They don't all look alike either. I know a guy who at first glance could pass for Spanish, but he'd fight you if you said he wasn't black.

We're arguing silliness based on concepts that don't exist in real life. I am as guilty as anyone. For now, I wish only to leave the silliness alone.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keino
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kem-Au:
[B]We need to able to see thru silliness (there is much of it) and make progress. I do believe many race topics are senseless, but some posts having to do with the who the AE's really were, like the one ausar just posted, have significance.

This is puurely an opinion of mine, but I think it's time we abandon colonial leftovers that serve no purpose but to confuse. What does the word negroid tell us? Does it mean dark skin, a wide nose, kinky hair, etc? What if you have fair skin, a wide nose, kinky hair, etc? Can you still be a negro? How about dark skin, a thin nose, kinky hair, etc? This idea of negroid is a silly as the caucasiod and mongoloid.

We are taking these concepts and trying to apply them to AE's when the 3 racial types don't even work for us today. We end up taking skull measurements and the like to try to see if an individual was negro, or caucasian or whatever, though not that I have a problem with biological anthropology. But depending on the definition, this girl might not be considered negro. Notice her nose isn't that wide, her lips aren't that big:

(btw sorry about stealing your image Wally.)

If this girl's skull was found in Egypt she would NOT be labeled as Negro, but as mediterranean, and accorindng to who is doing it she might be mediterranean with little NEGROID mixture. Looking at her and calling her non-black is ridiculous just as the plan to break down the Negro race in sub-categories and then call some non-black is insane!

HOREMHEB, THAT RACE WOULD YOU SAY THIS GIRL BELONGS TO AND BE HONEST. IF YOU THINK BLACK THEN 90% OF AEs WERE BLACK BY THIS REALITY. HOW WOULD SHE LOOK IN A PORTRAIT/MOMUMENT DONE THE WAY THE AEs DID?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
And the hits keep coming...
THE TOMB OF TUTHMOSIS III'S FOREIGN WIVES

Christine Lilyquist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
400 pp. 268 b/w photographs + 157 line drawing plates
9 3/4 x 13 3/4
Cloth ISBN 0-300-10121-x $125.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This book results from a collaborative effort to reconstruct the 15th-century bc tomb of three foreign wives of Tuthmosis III, discovered and robbed by villagers near Luxor in 1916. A general account was published by Herbert Winlock in 1948 (The Treasure of Three Egyptian Princesses, New York, The Metropolitan Museum of Art). The present volume differs substantially in the type and extent of documentation provided and in interpretation.

Verification is provided of tomb provenance for a number of objects, for example, while OTHER OBJECTS previously thought to have come from the tomb ARE NOW CONSIDERED FORGERIES. The text explores and documents the location of the tomb in the southwest valleys at Thebes; field work conducted by The Metropolitan Museum of Art at the site in 1988; art market finds alleged to have come from the tomb; and the names of the foreign wives and the life they might have led.

Christine Lilyquist is Lila Acheson Wallace Curator of Egyptology at The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Keino
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
And the hits keep coming...
THE TOMB OF TUTHMOSIS III'S FOREIGN WIVES

Christine Lilyquist

Horemheb, not to get on you but forgeries with art is VERY popular and done even more when a profit is possible. From you brushing this off as nonsense make me wonder. I'm sure some forgeries were done because that is expected when ever a great civilization is discovered, but look at who was doing some of this forgeries, supposed scholars whom had very vocal and evident racism for anything Black/African. This is evident in even the tone of the "modern" egyptologist when they twisted primary sources to discredit the origins of AE. See we have to not only be physical scientist, but social scientist when dealing with this issue. Question to ask: how did the ruling class feel about africans and blacks at that time of this new discovery of the so called non-black egypt? Were they neutral in their reporting of the facts and information? What was their tone? And the socialogical question can go on and on! Not doing so is unscientific to say the least!

can someone tell me how to post pictures??

[This message has been edited by Keino (edited 25 March 2004).]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
This is not related but some European scholars even tried to say that the famous beautiful Benin bronzes in Nigeria were the products of Greeks. They contended that Africans could not produce such reliastic artwork,and it was made up that the Benin bronzes came from some exotic Greek colonist. The same is true for just about everything great that people discover in Africa.

quote:
Leo Frobenius set out to study and collect African sculpture, while in Britain, serious publications - including, in 1899, the British Museum's catalogue of its Benin acquisitions - laid the foundations for the history of the art of Benin and that of Africa.
There were plenty of ambiguities. Frobenius could not believe that the 12th- to 15th-century brass heads of Ife, which are earlier than the art of Benin, were of African origin; he speculated that they were the work of ancient Greeks from the lost city of Atlantis. And in 1903 Henry Ling Roth published a pioneering book on Benin called Great Benin: Its Customs, Art and Horrors. http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1039565,00.html.[/QUOTE]

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Keino...the girl is very pretty regardless of what race she is.
There are criminals amoung us who would resort to forgery to make money, none of us would argue with that. There are both good and bad people in the world. What the guy in Oakland proposed is something entirely different. He is accusing the academic community in the west of trying to alter history for racial purposes. Why would we do that? I'll be back later with what I see as the core of the problem.

Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keino,

Has Horemheb proved that the ancient Egyptians were white yet?

Posts: 74 | From: atlanta,ga | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
First Ausar....I would call this man a crackpot. He is obviously a racist, black nationalist from what I was able to pick up on the web and in reading his work. Many of our 'African Studies' programs are infested with these guys. Instead of doing great work unfolding African history and black history in America they use their position as a soap box to preach hate and distorted views of history. The sad aspect in all of this is that we are paying these people with tax dollars. They often make little contribution to the body of knowledge. That said, there are some who do a great job in the field and they have our support and praise 110%.
Keino....There is and has been no distortion of AE history. What there has been in a lack of knowledge. As time has moved on we have gained more knowledge and are getting more answers all the time. In 20 years we will have most of the answers. You may not like them all but whatever they are they will be correct to the BEST of our ability. We need to not see a conspiracy around every corner. I run into these things all the time in my Civil War class each year. We cannot create an outcome and then try to selectively bend history to fit what we want.
These Africanists wail aganist Colonialism. Was their a realistic alternative? Probably not. Was it unpleasant for some to be dominated by the Europeans? I'm sure it was. Did good come out of it? You bet. Are Africans better off because the Euro-Americans came or not? Interesting question, probably much better off by today but it is a mixed bag. Was it avoidable? No.
My question is this, what in the world do these people want? We need to all join the modern world and prosper.

Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL..We already have the answers..lol..It's
you who is stuck in a time warp...lol..We
don't need to wait 20 years!!!!...Where's
your white robe?...lol

Ausar this is what you are up against as a
native Egyptian trying to combat global
ignorance and misinformation about your
country...Good luck brother!!!!!!!!

Posts: 74 | From: atlanta,ga | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Amwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar,

Since your are a student I think Horemheb
and his kind are actually good for you
because they give you a real world example
of people who will not budge and are wrong.

From this forum,I think you are prepared to
defend your Egyptian identity and heritage
with anyone in a scholarly debate.You always
support your arguments..My hat's off to you
for taking the high road

blackman
Member # 1807

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
The Egyptians ancient and modern were diverse people composed of a mixture of Costal Northern African types in the North[although not without negriod admixture],and mostly negriod types in Upper Egypt. This is what I have proclaimed all along but neither sides of the extreme will listen to me. I do believe that despite Egyptians being hetrogenous people that majority of it's culture was Africa,and this is really what should matter.

I agree with you AUASR,

Horemheb,
You danced around Keino's question without answering him. You still tickle me. We would like to know if she is caucasian by your definition.

(Kieno stated
HOREMHEB, WHAT RACE WOULD YOU SAY THIS GIRL BELONGS TO AND BE HONEST.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Horemheb doesn't see with his eyes..He sees
with his ears..lol..He was told that the girl
is a Arab/or white from his sources...lol..
better yet she is "mediterranean" north african..hahahahahaha

Keino
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
First Ausar....I would call this man a crackpot. He is obviously a racist, black nationalist from what I was able to pick up on the web and in reading his work. Many of our 'African Studies' programs are infested with these guys. Instead of doing great work unfolding African history and black history in America they use their position as a soap box to preach hate and distorted views of history. The sad aspect in all of this is that we are paying these people with tax dollars. They often make little contribution to the body of knowledge. That said, there are some who do a great job in the field and they have our support and praise 110%.
Keino....There is and has been no distortion of AE history. What there has been in a lack of knowledge. As time has moved on we have gained more knowledge and are getting more answers all the time. In 20 years we will have most of the answers. You may not like them all but whatever they are they will be correct to the BEST of our ability. We need to not see a conspiracy around every corner. I run into these things all the time in my Civil War class each year. We cannot create an outcome and then try to selectively bend history to fit what we want.
These Africanists wail aganist Colonialism. Was their a realistic alternative? Probably not. Was it unpleasant for some to be dominated by the Europeans? I'm sure it was. Did good come out of it? You bet. Are Africans better off because the Euro-Americans came or not? Interesting question, probably much better off by today but it is a mixed bag. Was it avoidable? No.
My question is this, what in the world do these people want? We need to all join the modern world and prosper.

Horemheb you are avoiding my question. Does the girl look black in the picture? What would you define her racially? Would you describe the reconstructed face of king Tut non-black too? You're skipping over my points while posting purely emotional rhetoric. It was only through the change in definition of what constitutes black and sub-dividing the Negro race and calling parts non-black, that egyptologist "proved" that the AEs were non-black! No one here is waillng about the mean whiteman and playing the victum. My point is from the prospective of TODAY, 1800s and the foundation of Egyptology was smothered in racism and racist views. It was even very evident in the way the modern egyptologist reported the history of Egypt and the rest of Africa using condescending language and out right blatant despise. Most of the people you are calling Africanist really just want to revisit the foundation of the "science" of egyptology and together lets re-evaluate them from a more objective point of view. Trust me Horemheb, if we were to do this and have an open public forum and raise the questions and show the proof that many of us do on the board,it would be overwhelmingly decided that the origins of the AEs were African blacks. There is no concrete proof otherwise!

neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think these forgeries are made for racial propaganda. There is a lot of money in the antiquities business so forgeries are common. The biggest, most recent evidence of this was that coffin found in Israel that was said to have belonged to James, the brother of Jesus Christ. After a while it turned out to be a big hoax. Some people will do anything to make a quick dollar...
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Kieno...my post goes to the heart of the matter. As for the girl, I'm not going to comment on a picture of one girl posted on the internet. I have no idea of who she is or what she represents and no way of knowing. I will say again she is very attractive. You are back to the evil 19th century European again. There is no distortion, the mainline Egyptologist are going to be correct in all cases.
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Neo is correct. Everything that happens is not a plot to hold the poor blackman down.
Keino
unregistered

quote:
Neo is correct. Everything that happens is not a plot to hold the poor blackman down.

See Horemhem here lies your hypocrisies: you are allowed to use what you think the SOCIAL consciousness and atmosphere of the black and people of colour to defend why we are wrong, but when I use the social consciousness and atmosphere of the 1800s foundation of egyptology ALONG WITH PRROF AND FACTS, you dismiss them because you can't defend your view without bring emotional rhetoric into the picture. I have tried to have a logical and meaningful correspondence with you but to no avail. Keep hiding your head in the sand with all due respect!!

Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Horemheb,

Liar,Liar,your pants on fire..lol
I told you Keino she is "mediterranean"
north african..wink..lol

Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Keino,

She looks "mesopotamian" to me..She is a
holdover from the middle east migrations
that took place 5,000 years ago.I can see
it in her cheek bones and cranial measurements.The hair is clearly of semitic
origins and so is the aquiline nose..hahaha

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Keino, there is no 'we' or black position. There is only 'a' position. Thats the problem with the africanist viewpoint. It wants to say that it is us aganist them and that is not the case and never has been. If I am an Egyptologist it matter not if I am black, white or maroon, I am still an Egyptologist. My point is this, when these Africanists set themselves up aganist mainline academics they are going to lose.
IF your point is correct 95% of the academics will generally agree.
The 'Romans conquored the known world', thats not a racial or moral position, its just a fact. Its a fact no matter what your race.

Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:
I don't think these forgeries are made for racial propaganda. There is a lot of money in the antiquities business so forgeries are common. The biggest, most recent evidence of this was that coffin found in Israel that was said to have belonged to James, the brother of Jesus Christ. After a while it turned out to be a big hoax. Some people will do anything to make a quick dollar...

I agree with this. Many fakes are made for many reasons, including money. Perhaps usually money. However if the Ra Hotep statue is indeed a fake, profit will unlike be the motive as the statue was probably given to a museum. Also, there's allegedly an 18th dynasty statue in an Italian museum that has a broken nose. The nose was replaced with an aqueline nose.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Kem, here is my point....where did you get the information that the statue's nose was replaced with the wrong nose? Did it come from mainline academics or did it come from one of these 'conspiracy' people. Why would people want the wrong nose on a statue? Pardon my doubt but there is more to this than you are telling us.
Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Who are these Africanists?...All people who
don't agree that ancient Egypt was a white
"mediterranean" civilization?..hahahahaha
Name ten scholars that agree with you right
now!!!!!!!!!!!..lol

Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:
Kem, here is my point....where did you get the information that the statue's nose was replaced with the wrong nose? Did it come from mainline academics or did it come from one of these 'conspiracy' people. Why would people want the wrong nose on a statue? Pardon my doubt but there is more to this than you are telling us.

I posted the link to the site that had the statue a while back. I'll look for it again later and repost it. And I'm not sure who these 'conspiracy' people are. What you call a conspiracy theorist, others might simply call someone seeking the truth.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Amwa...all of the mainline Egyptologist agree on MOST of these issues, you know that as well as I. Your lack of tolerance for other views is disgusting. It betrays your lack of education.
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Kem...I would call a conspiracy theorists anyone who believes that academics has a racial componet. Nobody cares about that, they are seeking facts. Problem is , some people don't like the facts they come up with for political and racial reason.
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Amwa:
Keino,

She looks "mesopotamian" to me..She is a
holdover from the middle east migrations
that took place 5,000 years ago.I can see
it in her cheek bones and cranial measurements.The hair is clearly of semitic
origins and so is the aquiline nose..hahaha

Just some background info on the girl. She is one of the Beja people who hail from eastern Upper Egypt and the Northern Sudan. What's interesting is that Gadalla notes that the Beja people, once called Bleymmes, are made of of Upper Egyptians who fled east to escape the Romans. It seems their intentions were to regroup and return to liberate Egypt from foreign control. Do a search on these people and you might find some interesting info.

Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:
Kem...I would call a conspiracy theorists anyone who believes that academics has a racial componet. Nobody cares about that, they are seeking facts. Problem is , some people don't like the facts they come up with for political and racial reason.

If nothing else you've always been civil, but I usually reference my claims. In the past you have either not responded or dismissed things that I posted. The subject of this topic is Fakes and forgeries of the past. If you'd like to debate that an artifact was faked, then by all means go ahead. But if you're just going to continually state that everyone who disagrees with you has a political agenda then it's a waste of time.

For reasons that I and others have posted before, I believe that it's at least possible that the Ra Hotep and Nofret statue is a fake. If you have evidence against this, please post it.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Beja people are ancestors of the medijay people that helped Egyptians on many occasions against foregin invaders like the Hykos. Medijay were employed in Egypt mainly as soliders and police force to guard against tomb robbers.

Frank Joseph Yurco has pointed out that the 16-17 dyansties had elements of medijay soliders.

The last people to hold out from the Romans were the Beja that would raid the Byzhatine and force them to retreat from the island of Philae. The temple there was not closed down untill the 500 AD.

The Beja people,like so many others,have fallen victim to the mythical Hamitic myth.

What is even more interesting is a group in SOuthern Sudan called the Shilluk who have many customs that are interconnected to ancient Egypt. Many anthropologist tried to even put these people despite their facial pronathism, wide mouth,or other features into the pusedo category as Hamite.

Anyway,this is another topice for another thread.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
What about W.V. Davies who is a keeper of antiquities at the British Museum. Davies wrote an entire book on the fakes like Tetisheri that happened during the 19th century. Not to mention John Romer in his various books on the valley of the Kings documents the deteriation of the monuments. He has documented it on his website.

All these people are mainstream scholars that have no axe to grind with conventional scholarship. Are we sugesting that monolithic scholarship produces the best results? Since when has this even been true? Scophenhauer wrote about this: First you have ridicule,second comes denial,and later comes acceptance. Thaink about it.

Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Horemheb,

Name ten mainline scholars who share your
position?..So we can read their articles/or
books?

Keino
unregistered

quote:
Keino, there is no 'we' or black position. There is only 'a' position. Thats the problem with the africanist viewpoint. It wants to say that it is us aganist them and that is not the case and never has been. If I am an Egyptologist it matter not if I am black, white or maroon, I am still an Egyptologist. My point is this, when these Africanists set themselves up aganist mainline academics they are going to lose.
IF your point is correct 95% of the academics will generally agree.
The 'Romans conquored the known world', thats not a racial or moral position, its just a fact. Its a fact no matter what your race.

Oh so now you live in the world of facts and reason! I have showed you facts and evidence and all you have responded with is empty emotional rhetoric. I have showed you how the definition of black, non-black, Negro, Negroid, Mediterranean, Cro-magnum, Cro-magnoid are very illusive. I have illustrated to you the illogical reasoning (without proof) that the fathers of Egyptology have given as to why the AEs are not black. I have illustrated how the change in definition of what is Negro/black have change to only include a very few of the whole Negro race while shoving everyone and their cat into the Caucasian race even if they have black skin and kinky/wavy hair, thick lips and flat wide nose. I have illustrated the racial and dogmatic atmosphere in which this field arose. Wally, Ausar and other have shown you numerous studies of Upper Egyptians as well as the many historians who believe that the AEs were black. It is fact that AE origins are in Upper Egypt! Others have showed you pics to place a face on these so called non-black people, but you refuse to even be brave enough to admit her race or even discuss it (very typical won't you guys say?). I want you to show me some MODERN evidence otherwise that supports your views. If you're not going to then my conversation with you is futile and insane! I have already wasted enough study time discussing while you dance around issues only to respond with empty emotional rhetoric of the superior Western Civilization. Lets discuss Egypt with Facts and proof and please no empty talks .

Keino
unregistered

quote:
Horemheb,

Name ten mainline scholars who share your
position?..So we can read their articles/or
books?

I am thinking about reading Mary Lefkowitz's "Not Out Of Africa" to see her side of the story. I would like to see how she argues the issues. Have anyone read her book or anyother books that was a response to Diop's work or that tries to counter his theories? What is a book that can give me an argument from the other point of view.

Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Keino,

Try "Not out of Africa",it is a response to
Martin Bernal's "Out of Africa"..Kathyrn
Bard(I think that's correct) is a person
who denies in that book that the ancient
Egyptians were primarily "mediterranean"
and not "black" read: central/or bantu african..It refutes any black origination
for Egypt.

Also,I read Mary Lefkowitz's rebuttal to
Martin Bernal online and she only discusses
if Egypt stole Greek philosophy.She does
admit Egypt influenced Greece in architecture
,math,and the sciences somewhat.But,type in
that book and its view is totally opposite
Ausar's convictions this board.These are
mainstream scholars too.

Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
I meant Kathyrn Bard denies that the Egyptians were black and considered them
"mediterranean"..Black to most Egyptologist
is bantu/central african not Ethiopian when
discussing ancient Egypt.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Kathryn Bard is not a bio-anthropologist. Both Larry Angel and Shomarka Keita are bio-anthropologist who have proven that the first people in Upper Egypt were Sahro-Sudanic people. Larry Angel goes so far as to call them Negriod. See also the study I posted in the previous thread about Egyptology that states the Middle Kingdom to New Kingdom had limb protional to negriod people.

The only Mediterranean people in Egypt was in Lower Egypt which had contact also with Western Asian people. The Upper Egyptians were predominatley negriod.

We have evidence from archeological sites like Nabta Playa in Southern Egypt.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
First, my dialogue may have been a lot of things but emotional it was not. Secondly, you hgave admitted having a problem with mainstream Egyptology have you not? Mainstream Egyptology is going to be correct. you and those who take that position show reliefs of Egyptians whom you say prove your point, you omit those that do not. A tremendous number of AE sculpture cannot be interpreted as negroid, why do I never see those? You do speak up when some radical challenges western academia with wild crazy views that nobody in the mainstream accepts. Nobody has ever said there was no African influence in Egypt. If you are trying to contend that the AE royals were black it is my view that you will never win that argument simply because int is not true or supportable. If you wish to argue for a lesser level of influence, especially in more modern times, you will do much better. You will never convince people like Dr. Hawass as long as you depend on Afriacnist radicals for your support.
i note how selective you are in using ancient writers. You ignore all of the writers who describe the Egyptians as lighter skinned and distinguish them from Nubians.
This is just radical african politics pure and simple. Egypt was a national power in the near east, not an African power. It faced historically north in its diplomacy and interaction with other empires. If you wrote a book about AE foreign policy only a third or less would have to do with Nubia.
If I were wrong about this all of the mainstream Egyptologists like Hawass, Brier, Clayton, EEP, Orential Institute and others would agree with you. Those are the people who count, not these Africanist crackpots who are bitter because of Euro-American domination.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Horemheb,I have quoted many people like Brier,Frank Joseph Yurco,and even Peter Piccione who disagree with your point. The point was not that Egyptians were lighter or darker than Nubians because overall the Egyptian population had both darker and lighter elements amungst it.
The other point was that the Egyptian population was not comprised of just exlusvely one racial stock. Even the peole you preceive to be ''caucasian'' like Rahotep and Neferiti all have family memebers that were darker than themselves. Look at the tomb of Nefermaat,brother of Rahotep,to see the point.

The royals in Egyptian soceity look differently over the years because they came from different parts of Egypt. Most were attached to the royal house through family relation,and most looked no different from the majority of the Egyptian population. During the Old Kingdom you actually had nomarchs in Upper Egypt that ruled themselves in different nomes,and this later was divided after the Old Kingdom.

The first three dyansties came from Southern Upper Egypt from the area of El-Kab. These are people like Mena,Djoser, and Khasekhemwy. Frank Yurco notes that all these people come from Southern Upper Egypt and look like the population there.

See the following:

That is why I stated
earlier in the previous post, that yes, had we good depictions of the
First-Second Dynasty rulers, who originated from Nekhen, way south in
Upper Egypt, they should be dark brown in complexion as the people in
those areas were in all subsequent periods down to the present day.

So again, if there were such individuals in the north, they well might
be descendants of these royals from Nekhen. Such may be the case with
Djoser, the first king of whom we have portrait quality statues and
reliefs, and yes, known to be a son of Khasekhemwy, the last ruler of
Dynasty 2, he does appear like a southern Egyptian in type.

Most sincerely,

Frank J. Yurco
University of Chicago

--
Frank Joseph Yurco fjyurco@midway.uchicago.edu

n the Cairo Museum, there is just such a statue of wood of a man
called Ny-ankh-Pepy-kem, or Ny-ankh-Pepy the black. He shows all the
characteristics of the darker southern Upper Egyptian type. However,
other members of this family were called desher, "red" because they
came closer in appearance to the average male Egyptian. So, when southern
Upper Egypt does become represented, voila, there are the darker
Egyptians, yes, even among the elites.

So again, if there were such individuals in the north, they well might
be descendants of these royals from Nekhen. Such may be the case with
Djoser, the first king of whom we have portrait quality statues and
reliefs, and yes, known to be a son of Khasekhemwy, the last ruler of
Dynasty 2, he does appear like a southern Egyptian in type.

Most sincerely,

Frank J. Yurco
University of Chicago

Now I do
not doubt that the Upper Egyptian population was darker. That was
certainly so. Had we reliable depictions of Dynasty 1-2 rulers, I would
concur that they would be dark brown Upper Egyptians, for the family
stemmed from Nekhen at least, if not from Qustul in Lower Nubia.

Most sincerely,

Frank J. Yurco
University of Chicago

--
Frank Joseph Yurco fjyurco@midway.uchicago.edu

Keino
unregistered

quote:
I meant Kathyrn Bard denies that the Egyptians were black and considered them
"mediterranean"..Black to most Egyptologist
is bantu/central african not Ethiopian when
discussing ancient Egypt.

Then by their definition about 85% of black people are not black. Imagine that, I might be a white man in black skin and kinky hair. My nose is definitely not very wide, and my skull is a negroid and mediterranean mixture. I have to tell many of the black people that I meet to start describing themself as white whether in america, europe or anywhere, and see what happens and how people respond to them!

Keino
unregistered

quote:
First, my dialogue may have been a lot of things but emotional it was not. Secondly, you hgave admitted having a problem with mainstream Egyptology have you not? Mainstream Egyptology is going to be correct. you and those who take that position show reliefs of Egyptians whom you say prove your point, you omit those that do not. A tremendous number of AE sculpture cannot be interpreted as negroid, why do I never see those? You do speak up when some radical challenges western academia with wild crazy views that nobody in the mainstream accepts. Nobody has ever said there was no African influence in Egypt. If you are trying to contend that the AE royals were black it is my view that you will never win that argument simply because int is not true or supportable. If you wish to argue for a lesser level of influence, especially in more modern times, you will do much better. You will never convince people like Dr. Hawass as long as you depend on Afriacnist radicals for your support.
i note how selective you are in using ancient writers. You ignore all of the writers who describe the Egyptians as lighter skinned and distinguish them from Nubians.
This is just radical african politics pure and simple. Egypt was a national power in the near east, not an African power. It faced historically north in its diplomacy and interaction with other empires. If you wrote a book about AE foreign policy only a third or less would have to do with Nubia.
If I were wrong about this all of the mainstream Egyptologists like Hawass, Brier, Clayton, EEP, Orential Institute and others would agree with you. Those are the people who count, not these Africanist crackpots who are bitter because of Euro-American domination.

Once again you respond with empty emotional rhetoric. Lets have the the two opposing views present their cases as to the origins of AE and see who has the most FACTUAL proof and evidence. Yes, some anceint historians did described the AEs as lighter, but every single historian also reports that the Greeks and Romans very much darker than the nothern Europeans too so I guess they are non-white. Horemheb, the true crushed to the ground will always rise and refute lies. Lets have both sides start from the bottom up and go over all the facts, information and the interpretation of them. Lets do this in a publically open forum, televise it, make a discovery channel documentary of the great argument. Let each side present its argument fairly without any manipulation. If the mainstream is truth concerning the origins of AE then the public can decide which theory holds water.

------------------
Time Will Tell!- Bob Marley

[This message has been edited by Keino (edited 26 March 2004).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com