EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Rise of New Kingdom.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rise of New Kingdom.
14Hz
Member # 3914

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 14Hz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was the New Kingdom, why did it happen, who made it happen?
Posts: 4 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Kingdom was started by a family from Waset[Thebes] under Ahmose finally drove the Hykos out of power uniting Upper and Lower Egypt . The climatic part was driving the Hykos back into the Near-East,and crowing Waset[Thebes] as the new capital.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar,

I have also seen Waset called Ta-Apet. Do you or anyone else know the reason for the different names. Was one the name of the city and the other a nickname, like New York and the Big Apple?

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Ta-Apet might be reffering exclusely to the temple instead of the city. The temple of Luxor was called Ipet-Resyut,and the temple of Karnak was called Ipet-isut. This is probabaly where you might be getting the two mixed up. Sometimes vowels and and other letters can be used interchangably because the Egyptians language,like other Afro-Asiatic languages,have no vowels.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Ahmose I, founder of the New Kingdom who, expelled the Hyksos from Egypt and began the reconquest of lower Nubia. During the reign of Ahmose and his son Amenhotep I, the Egyptian armies gradually pushed southward. The second cataract fortresses were recaptured and the fortifications at Buhen were repaired.

Against this background, the Egyptian hostility toward Nubia and contact between the inhabitants of the two lands continued unabated. Both Kushite and Medjay Nubians had served in the Egyptian army during the war of liberation and were to continue to do so throughout the New Kingdom. Some Kushites may have moved to the north of Egypt after the expulsion of the Hyksos. During the next half century Egyptian armies had to quell numerous rebellions from which they brought away many intention probably being to secure Egypt's southern boundary which was known as Karoy, by the end of Thutmose III reign Egypt had secured substantial imperial possession in the Levant as well as in Nubia.

http://www.numibia.net/nubia/new_kingdom.htm

quote:

The expulsion of the Hyksos, began during the late 17th Dynasty by Seqenenre II or by Kamose and completed by 18th Dynasty monarch Ahmose in 1522, was the start of a series of conquests that would bring Egypt peace and prosperity. The age of conquest had begun! Even though Ahmose was the brother of his predecessor, Kamose, Manetho has placed him at the head of a new royal house: the 18th Dynasty.

In an effort to secure Egyptian borders against future invasions, Ahmose conquered a territory stretching from Syria-Palestine in the North, to the 2nd cataract in Nubia in the South. Within a few decennia, Egypt became the most powerful nation in the Ancient Near East.

http://www.ancient-egypt.org/history/18_20/

[This message has been edited by neo*geo (edited 30 March 2004).]

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
I think Ta-Apet might be reffering exclusely to the temple instead of the city.

This is doubtful as Ta means land. And many references to Thebes will put Ta Apet in parenthesis.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
14Hz
Member # 3914

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 14Hz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm finding this hard to follow, so what happend to the middle kingdom, why did it fall?
Posts: 4 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 14Hz:
I'm finding this hard to follow, so what happend to the middle kingdom, why did it fall?

Between the Middle Kingdom and the New Kingdom was the Second Intermediate Period. This was a period when Egypt was divided regionally by local rulers instead of one Pharoah. Invaders from the Near East, called the Hyksos by the Egyptians, ruled most of lower Egypt. This period lasted about 150 years and ended when Ahmose I defeated the Nubians and drove the Hyksos out of Egypt...

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
14Hz
Member # 3914

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:
Between the Middle Kingdom and the New Kingdom was the Second Intermediate Period. This was a period when Egypt was divided regionally by local rulers instead of one Pharoah. Invaders from the Near East, called the Hyksos by the Egyptians, ruled most of lower Egypt. This period lasted about 150 years and ended when Ahmose I defeated the Nubians and drove the Hyksos out of Egypt...

now i follow

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com