EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Who were the Nubians?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who were the Nubians?
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are people's opinions on who the Nubians were and what their importance was to ancient Egypt? I have been struggling to understand the nature of Nubia and Nubians.

Was Nubia a loosely populated colony of Egypt or a seperate nation with a national identity?

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that Nubians and Egyptians shared similar culture during the pre-dyanstic age,but began to drift around the formation of Dyanstic Egypt. We all know Ta-Seti,according to Frank Yurco and others,was the first Upper Egyptian nome. Southern Upper Egyptians were virtually the same ethnicity as Nubians according to Michael Hoffaman.

Egyptians didn't colonize Nubia untill the 18th dyansty.

The Qustal incense burner throws in question what relavence Nubia had on pre-dyanstic Egypt.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the early Nubians and pre-Dynastic Egyptians were the same group of people. My theory is that some tribes of Nubians broke away and formed their own kingdoms while lower Nubia stayed loyal to Egypt. The Yamite and Medjay Nubians seem to have always been friendly with Egyptians. My guess is that they may have been Egyptian by nationality.
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obenga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the early Nubians and the Upper Egyptians speak the same language ...Anyone??
Posts: 404 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackman
Member # 1807

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obenga,
That is a good question. I'll try to look it up.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackman
Member # 1807

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a liitle link on the nubian language.
There sems to be two dialects.

FIADIDJA-MAHAS and KENUZI-DONGOLA
http://i-cias.com/e.o/nubian_l.htm

Africa also like India has many different dialects. It probably unlikely the egyptians and the nubians spoke the same language even though they were related.

I guess a better question is for AUSAR.

AUSAR,
Can you understand the FIADIDJA-MAHAS or KENUZI-DONGOLA native language?

[This message has been edited by blackman (edited 14 April 2004).]

Posts: 342 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most linguist agree that the proto-AfroAsiatic speakers that later spawned the Egyptian,Semetic,oromotic,Chadic,and other languages originated in an area from Sudan to Ethiopia,so I see possibly the early people of this area were Afro-Asiatic speakers. Nubians generally were Nilo-Saharan speakers.

C-group Nubians were definatley a continuation of earlier A-group traditions. Yurco points this out that many were able to unify despite their tribal base.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a young Egyptian girl in one of my classes in 1996. She looked like she had been pealed off the wall of some ancient tomb. If you dressesd her up in that ancient garb she would look like any typical egyptian queen. I was struck by it because it shows how persistent genetic traits can be. There was nothing negroid about her. I'm not saying she represents everyone, but she sure looked like a classical egyptian too me.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackman
Member # 1807

Rate Member
Horemheb is at it again.

He never defined negroid in previous post. He also would not define a women in the picture he was asked to define.

[This message has been edited by blackman (edited 28 April 2004).]

Amun
Member # 1813

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
I had a young Egyptian girl in one of my classes in 1996. She looked like she had been pealed off the wall of some ancient tomb. If you dressesd her up in that ancient garb she would look like any typical egyptian queen. I was struck by it because it shows how persistent genetic traits can be. There was nothing negroid about her. I'm not saying she represents everyone, but she sure looked like a classical egyptian too me.

Not to continue off topic but I once met a Palestinian girl whose face looked so much like the famous bust of Nefertiti it was scary. Nefertiti herself, possibly had some Palestinian ancestry. This beautiful lady had the same complexion, long neck, facial expression and all. She seemed to have some negroid ancestry. So much that she would likely be mistaken for a black American in the US.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While we don't have Neferiti's mummy we have enough members of her family to know she had not a drop of negroid blood. This one is a nobrainer unless you go to the Africanists sites. They would tell you Juliyus Caesar was black.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
While we don't have Neferiti's mummy we have enough members of her family to know she had not a drop of negroid blood. This one is a nobrainer unless you go to the Africanists sites. They would tell you Julius Caesar was black.
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Actually,Neferiti's grandfather was Sequenenra Tao. You can't judge somebody's phenotype to display what exactly the genotype was. Have you ever seen Neferiti's two daughters by Akenaten?

There is some debate if Neferiti was of partial Syrian origin.

[This message has been edited by ausar (edited 28 April 2004).]

Amun
Member # 1813

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
While we don't have Neferiti's mummy we have enough members of her family to know she had not a drop of negroid blood. This one is a nobrainer unless you go to the Africanists sites. They would tell you Juliyus Caesar was black.

Are you kidding me? Have you ever seen what Nefertiti's father looked like?

As ausur, pointed out, she was a descendant of Sequenere Tao.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought
Member # 4108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Most linguist agree that the proto-AfroAsiatic speakers that later spawned the Egyptian,Semetic,oromotic,Chadic,and other languages originated in an area from Sudan to Ethiopia,so I see possibly the early people of this area were Afro-Asiatic speakers. Nubians generally were Nilo-Saharan speakers.

C-group Nubians were definatley a continuation of earlier A-group traditions. Yurco points this out that many were able to unify despite their tribal base.

Thought Writes:

You are correct Ausar, the Upper Egyptians and the Lower Nubians were craniometrically akin. Nubians probably spoke Nilo-Saharan AND Afro-Asiatic tongues, with the Nubians on the west side of the Nile leaning toward Nilo-Saharan and the Nubians on the east bank leaning toward Afro-Asiatic.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Thought,

Do you see A-group as a predessor of C-group? Most scholars know believe this to be true that C-group is really a continuation of A-group Nubians. What is your opinion on this matter?

Thought
Member # 4108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Thought,

Do you see A-group as a predessor of C-group? Most scholars know believe this to be true that C-group is really a continuation of A-group Nubians. What is your opinion on this matter?

Thought Writes:

I believe that the A-Group, the C-Group, Upper Nubians (Kerma) and Upper Egyptians derive from the Western Desert and Eastern Desert populations in the main. I believe that SOME A-Group Nubians were merged into Egypt by the end of the 1st Dynasty, while others probably merged with Nubians from the Wadi Shaw region to forum the C-Group.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keino
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amun:
Not to continue off topic but I once met a Palestinian girl whose face looked so much like the famous bust of Nefertiti it was scary. Nefertiti herself, possibly had some Palestinian ancestry. This beautiful lady had the same complexion, long neck, facial expression and all. She seemed to have some negroid ancestry. So much that she would likely be mistaken for a black American in the US.

Coral from the real world new york look like the bust too.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sesostris
Member # 4073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sesostris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The topic of color comes up every once in a while on this board, I have noticed. The exact color of the ancients is not know. REd was used for men and yellow for women, black and green (blue) were also used. Color to them was a representtation of inner vitality and fertility not an indication of race. I could easily see many of that statues of egypt being a vast variety of skin colors.

The nubians as far as I know where used by the Egyptians as troops. they were also said to be like egypt (as reported through several ancient writings) and outcroping of the ethiopians. I should add, though, that in the ancient world ethiopia was the name for all of Africa were Greek (called libyan) settlers had not gone. This is not a clear indication of place.

Posts: 23 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com